Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fort Triumph - fantasy nuXCOM-ish game

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't believe people on the Codex refuse to play a game with good gameplay solely on its graphics. Do you complain about graphics being 20 years old when you buy a game from GOG?
20 years old games can have great graphics that hold up very well today. Especially sprite-based ones (3D not so much).
They do not look like cheap WoW-inspired mobile gacha graphics (I mean, hell, the strategic view looks like it was ripped from some browser/idle game).

The problem here is the style chosen, that typical WoW-like-comicy-low-detail-with-oddities-and-everything-super-saturated which activates my gag reflex just by looking at it (Yes, really. This graphics style is so revolting to me it makes me physically ill).
Trust me, I wish it weren't so, the gameplay does look interesting.
And I backed the game on KS, ffs, but back then I didn't realize they would double down on those "looks".

tindrli

Arcane
The tactical layer is fantastic. It's like LGS took X-Com, and did it their way. Reactive physics should have been the norm since the mid-2000s. I can't believe people on the Codex refuse to play a game with good gameplay solely on its graphics. Do you complain about graphics being 20 years old when you buy a game from GOG?
i tried the damn thing. i will not go into a details. good stuff is that its not 100 % torchlight style its like 90%. the world overview is like amateurish homm and torchlight but that's not a point i said fuck it lets see gameplay.. the thing that i liked is that reminded me of HOMM3 in many things. the greatest thing is that you can speed UP a game to abnormal levels which is GREAT! i was so happy with speed of the game and i started it and in tutorial there were 3 classes with lets call them special attacks. i didnt liked them .. like leg kick and grappling hook and that whirlwind.. well someone may like it but not me. anyway i continued realizing that in a fact most of the combat will be using THOSE SPECIAL SHITTY ATTACKS so shooting an arrow or a wand is just collateral thing,nevermind, and then i saw that option that just breaked things for me.. in combat, your character can move close to an enemy and then TELEPORT it close to your ally which triggers attack of opportunity for your ally and if im correct you can do it every turn .. that just.. just stupid and it breaks immersion at least for me. but the thing that made me uninstall the damn thing is that, i had a combat i won. and like in 6 minutes apart or 4-5 ingame turns i get into another combat with SAME FUCKING COMBAT MAP down to the last bush.. it was EXACTLY THE SAME MAP. 6 minutes the god damn developers could not figure out not to repeat same combat map for at least 5 next combats so we can at least pretend that we forgot about how it looked like. it reminded me of an wasteland 2 when it got out.. it had like 10 different combat screens .. FFS thats LAZY and disrespectful and there is no excuse what so ever for that. anyway it was enough for me. fuck it.

Last edited:

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Fort Triumph is rubbing me the wrong way.

They went for a casual sort of quippy, 'funny', self-aware fantasy world dialogue thing.

The geoscape mechanics remind me more of a FB flash city builder game than an X-com game.

Hrm....

The only saving grace might be the heroes; I have permadeath on. Now lets hope I can actually recruit them by the dozen and send them to the grinder. That's the true X-com experience. The talk that the 'enemy is also moving and building' might be a saving grace as well.

I'll keep trying to play it, as seen above some people really like it. And I can't get Fallout:NV to fucking work for more than five loads/30 minutes anyway....

J1M

Arcane
I don't think cover mechanics work well in a fantasy game. Also, the combat felt slow.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think cover mechanics work well in a fantasy game. Also, the combat felt slow.
and half of the classes in this one have way to turn cover against you, which is even weirder.
Cover should be mostly being behind palissades or castle walls in fantasy indeed.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I gave it another short. The tactical battles can be really fun at times, with all the knockback/making trees/walls fall on character.
Actually, it just occured to me that the game would have been 2000% better if set as a superhero game:
The slapstick comedy would work better, and the abilities too.
Fantasy heroes don't usually collapse trees on their opponents, but superheroes do that routinely.
The character building system is nice, but has a few micro-issues (it kind of follows the HoMM formula of 1 pick among 3 random choices, which makes planning progression too hard IMO).

My main issue is that using terrain against opponents is really dominant here, but they are trying to make the other approach able to compete now (like using debuffs, or trying to kill the opponents directly), but the moments where you chain knockbacks, attacks of opportunities, and environment destruction can be quite fun.

I skipped all of the dialogue this time. I think it also helped making the game more enjoyable.

I would recommend it if you can live with the presentation, skip-worthy dialogues, and short campaign.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
They drew too much inspiration from heroes of might and magic 3 in some areas:
Being only allowed to transfer 4 heroes and one artifact to each chapter is a big letdown. It made more sense in heroes of might and magic where you had a single hero assisted by a few pack mules(being the second recruited hero must be a terrible experience for self esteem ...).
Same for restarting the castle upgrades from scratch(I mean, the castle is the title of the game...).
Having one pick among 3 on level up makes planning progression cumbersome, especially since they are far from being balanced(and the description is not always sufficient to tell beforehand).

The core combat and destruction galore engine is really solid, but the strategic layer sometimes works against it.

It is still much better than I first gave it credit for.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My main issue is that using terrain against opponents is really dominant here, but they are trying to make the other approach able to compete now (like using debuffs, or trying to kill the opponents directly), but the moments where you chain knockbacks, attacks of opportunities, and environment destruction can be quite fun.

I skipped all of the dialogue this time. I think it also helped making the game more enjoyable.

I would recommend it if you can live with the presentation, skip-worthy dialogues, and short campaign.

Well, if they're patching it, i'll wait for the final gold DC release and maybe try it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Well, if they're patching it, i'll wait for the final gold DC release and maybe try it.
Thanks for the feedback.

It's flawed, but it has its moments! A bit like The Storm Guard: Darkness is coming, but for totally different reasons (totally unbalanced skills, that you get at random, Act transition that plays against the core gameplay).
Actually, you have to accept that the acts are independent campagins in which you can reuse your old characters (like exporting your own character from one Mount and Blade mod to another!).

Good key words!

Shit art style though~

That one does NOT compute with XCOM. More like WOW. or MOBA

It really doesn't play much like XCOM actually: maps are smaller, opponents are almost all revealed from the beginning, except for storyline missions, and cover can kill you given the amount of physics abilities.
Also, half of your lineup has to be melee (you have to level up one of each class for storyline missions, act transition, and can use a fifth character, but he cannot go to the next act).
Also, unlike XCOM there is no control on the equipment you will use, because the items are all random drops (or like in HoMM, visible items randomly placed on the map).
Actually, it feels a bit like HOMM4 without troops, given how similar the overworld is.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Oh well, the more i read about the mechanics, the less i want to play it, for a moment, i almost wanted to buy it around 75% off but it's over.
The core combat does hold up, though (I am 2/3rd way in, at the highest difficulty level). Some of the combinations of items and skills are totally broken really fun to use. It may work better in "skirmish" mode (ie, randomized HOMM map mode).

Acrux

Arcane
I made the mistake of purchasing during a sale in early access, but eventually found it a little too basic compared to other tactical games. The overworld HOMM style map is good. The tactical layer seemed both bare boned and too randomized.

There's also plenty of things that were never updated, like key rebinding, and the devs have said they are on to new projects.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I completed the campaign. It took me 30 hours. Some parts were really fun(defending your castle against the opposing A team with your level 1 characters + helpers, but with alll the artifacts in your vault), other involved a lot of busywork(playing whack a mole against opposing heroes, shuffling said artifacts between teams before each combat. I ended up not bothering with my main team at the end of the game, as it could stomp everything).
I wrote a post on Steam about my build recommendations:

Character builds mini guide
I have just competed the campaign on legendary mode. Here is what worked for me:
Even with the limiations on act change, the hardest parts were the middle of act 1, and beginning of act 2.
TLDR would be : mind your action economy, and try to stun everything you cannot kill.
In order to do that, there are a few skills and traits that help tremendously.
But given the tools available to stun your targets, DPS is what needs to be worked on.

Character use and skills
Skills that should always be taken as cross skills:
Skills that are (or would be) great on everyone
Dash and slash
More AP is always good. Never decline it!

BloodLust
Same as above, but you get 1 AP on kill. I never got it proposed as cross-class skill, though, so I am not sure it is possible.

Daredevil Stance
Now you get 1 AP when under attack. It should be taken on melee if it is available (I am not sure it can be proposed as cross-class skill, though).

Evasive Instinct You need a single one of these on any character to "fish" for overwatch. I prefer it on melee, but it works for ranged too.

Paladin
The palading has a few healing options, and buffs, but where he really shines is with his basic hammer attack, as it can stun targets that are stun immune, which is borderline broken.
0 point Bolster may help him make it through dire situations.
I took healing aura on heam (heal allies on kill), and was pretty happy with it.
Shackles are not too bad as the last perk makes them cost 0.
Kick will remain very relevant until the end of the game, as it allows easy stuns.
Stomp could be seen as a range 2 Kick, and can be useful, but I found it really situational.

Barbarian
The barbarian has less utility than the paladin (it makes the target lose 1 AP instead of stunning it), but it has native access to most of the +AP skill I listed abobe, so it can reach insane number of AP, and use them to murder opponents.
Regarding the other skills, Frighten can be good, as it will get opponent to eat overwatch and attack of opportunities. It is a great combo with the building that makes overwatch cost 1 Action Point.
Bolster as cross-class skill is also good, as you want your barbarian to be able to sustain a lot of hits (to make the most use of daredevil).

Mage
It is my prefered class, and the one I prefer to stack +Action/+Power items on.
Whirlwind is a super utility spell that can really help getting a distant target stunned.
Vortex is awesome at stunning opponents, and you should always take it.
Fireball is great for two reasons: it has a huge AoE (when upgraded), and doesn't require a roll to hit.
These two spells are the best the mages can get, and should always be taken if possible.
Fireblast is a weird one. It is basically a melee spell, so it is not very useful on the mage (you'd better put the opponent out of melee range with Faraway lift and attack him with a proper spell), but can be OK on frontliners.I was disappoing with Telekinesis, as the effects were basically the same as lift, but with a better range, which is expensive for a skill slot. I don't recommend it, as it is too situational.

Chain lightning is also good, but nowhere as good as fireball, because you need to pass the first attack roll for it to work.

Ranger
The ranger is a weird class. He only has single target damage, and its terrain abilities are weaker than kick or whirlwind.
But he is very good at finishing targets with its upgraded base attacks (that always hit).
My main issue is that its extra skills are not very interesting.
The damage arrows are barely better than the base one, but without the auto hit.
Quickshot is nice to have, but its low damage and accuracy make it underwhelming (but it is a free attack, so you should take the skil).
The best other skills are knockback arrow and repelling shot, but the latter is usually harder to aim.

Traits
Coldhearted
What this trait does, is that if the target HP are within your damage range, including critical hits, it will always killed on hit. It means that you can guarantee max damage + critical hit. This is a huge help, and you should try to get it on everyone on your main team.

Bloodthirsty
Excellent combo with Coldhearted: everytime you kill something, your damage goes up 1 point (capped at 4). This one was harder for me to get (I got a lot less options to acquire it).
It works better on ranged characters IMO (mages and archer), and is really amazing on the mage, thanks to its AoE.

Masochist
1 more AP most of the time is great on your melees. Get it for them.

Studious
I liked this trait! More skill points on level up makes the character useful faster, but it doesn't make such a difference in the long run (you will miss 2 skill upgrades without it).

Pushy
Unfortunately, it is pretty hard to evaluate how good this one is, but pushing things further is always good.

The others positive traits have been of limited importance to me, so I won't list them there. Note that you are limited to 3 slots, and removing a perk, even positive, can be a hassle, so don't go overboard with minor perks like Impressionable, vigilant, or tenacious(the latter one can be good, though, as you will usually be outnumbered at the beginning).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fort Triumph is a good example of how a game fails to achieve its potential due to a lack of focus. There's a strategic layer inspired by the Heroes of Might & Magic series but far simpler, and apart from the single campaign it offers only procedurally-generated maps rather than the many handcrafted maps of any HoMM game. The man-hours put into that strategic layer could have been spent improving the combat, which has some interesting ideas but needed considerable refining, and expanding the campaign, which is decent enough for the larger set-piece battles. Pity. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom