Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

future voting format for Best RPG list

flyingjohn

Arcane
Butter shouldn't have started the GOTY poll without talking to us.
True, but you shouldn't have published this unofficial poll. Or should have just used the title unofficial. Too little votes compared to the other ones mean a loud majority managed to push their tastes, that is why some games drop hard and some obscure one jump up significantly.
I would love to believe that the codex moved on from divinity 2/Pillars but i have a feeling if there was a official vote thread, there wouldn't be too much difference from the last one.
Keep the list strictly cRPGs
Fuck no, a rpg list without wizardry ,Deus ex and Gothic can go fuck itself. Even disqualifies actual gems like troubleshooter.
Allow downvoting to counteract rabid, passionate fans who will focus on shit and recency bias
Downvoting is for reddit.
One more thing: restrict who can vote. The criteria was accounts which were created before the original post. This let a retard who made a total of 20 posts and then cried on Site Feedback (Skyflyer72 of some shit) to have his account deleted be able to influence placements on the list
There was already a attempt to isolate only older member votes in one of the older polls, guess what, it got worse.
Separate crpgs and jrpgs. Jrpgs are rpgs in a way that is antithesis of crpgs.
Compare Planescape/Fallout to Final Fantasy/Chrono trigger. The criteria is conflicting.
Maybe i am blind, but what jrpg's even made it to the list? From games are action rpg's.

People, treat every single ranking list as a rec list.

There was already a attempt to isolate only older member votes in one of the older polls, guess what, it got worse.
This isn't what I'm talking about. I gave an example and you just completely ignored it.

Why should someone who made 20 posts in a week or two on the dex, then cry to have his account deleted, be able to sway a top rpgs vote on this site?

There's a middle ground between restricting to 5+ year accounts, and situations like SkyFlayer or whatever is name was.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
True, but you shouldn't have published this unofficial poll. Or should have just used the title unofficial. Too little votes compared to the other ones mean a loud majority managed to push their tastes, that is why some games drop hard and some obscure one jump up significantly.
I would love to believe that the codex moved on from divinity 2/Pillars but i have a feeling if there was a official vote thread, there wouldn't be too much difference from the last one.
actually hiding polls within rpg discussion is great idea! Why politik bots should vote that dont even bother reading this forum?

Lets do that from now on

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In terms of theory and the math behind it, the one of the best -- while still simple -- ways would be that everyone willing submitted their own ranking list of crpgs without any constraints, that's how the most information is likely gathered. Then various operations can be done with the individual lists when aggregating them, like Borda count, for example.

Having voters distribute a budget of points to a limited amount of games just introduces somewhat arbitrary metrics. Say I give 5p to Borderlands and 1p to Fallout 1, would that mean in my books that Borderlands is 5 times better than Fallout 1, or does it mean that BL is a tier 5 and Fallout 1 a tier 1 game?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Third — negative voting for controversial titles. Negative voting as proven by the GOTY is already heavily gamed, but using it as a secondary indicator not affecting the actual ranking might be an improvement.

You probably have your own share of ideas on how to slow the Decline so let's have at it.
A rating system is the only mechanism to obtain proper rankings. Every Best ## Games of All Time poll determined via a voting system will experience similar problems.

Just don't include obvious troll/joke votes on the final list, it's obvious anyone voting on Deadfire or BG3 just does it to be silly
If only this were actually true. :M

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
you should appoint someone with a proven track record of anti-storyfag agenda to have a final say on what makes the cut. this role has to be purely negatory, the anti-storyfag tribune cannot add to the list.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
As you can see, discussions such as these run into the problem of users who think that the main problem with the rules is that they don't disqualify games that they don't like.
It's the opposite problem right now. Since we have a jrpg forum here, clearly jrpgs are considered rpgs. Yet, the only true jrpg I see in the list is Nier Automata.
By putting together rpgs and jrpgs in the same list, jrpgs are simply disregarded due to predominantly lacking elements of choice.
Just like how General games get their own voting, so should jrpgs. Or we can continue to keep the bias toward wrpgs & euro jank and make a list everyone is unhappy with.
And everyone can keep complaining because games judged based on two different criteria are on the same list.

Sweeper

Arcane
Keep the list strictly cRPGs to root out games which completely destroy the cohesion of list (NieR, Elden Ring, Disco Elysium, Dark Souls, etc.)
What are you, fucking retarded or something? Disco Elysium is clearly an RPG, look, says so on the steam page.

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is a groundbreaking role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As you can see, discussions such as these run into the problem of users who think that the main problem with the rules is that they don't disqualify games that they don't like.
It's the opposite problem right now. Since we have a jrpg forum here, clearly jrpgs are considered rpgs. Yet, the only true jrpg I see in the list is Nier Automata.
By putting together rpgs and jrpgs in the same list, jrpgs are simply disregarded due to predominantly lacking elements of choice.
Just like how General games get their own voting, so should jrpgs. Or we can continue to keep the bias toward wrpgs & euro jank and make a list everyone is unhappy with.
And everyone can keep complaining because games judged based on two different criteria are on the same list.
As a fan of wrpgs and jrpgs, the only game that was in this list, and I consider should be in it is Troubleshooter, for its gameplay. Great tactical rpg.

While I personally still consider the other ones "rpgs", I don't know if I would have them in a crpg list.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One other way I was thinking of is that you take the previous list, look at what has been released in the past five years, and just vote about what should be removed from the list. Was there any new games released that are worthy of being added?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom