Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary Edition - remake by Jane Jensen

Divinity: Original Sin
At least he doesn't have the flamboyantly gay voice from GK3 though.

It was Tim Curry, who voiced gabriel in the original sins of the father, though he did a bad job on the 3rd.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Last time I heard from Prinkerton Road was with Moebious. Are they planning something else or gave up on kickstarter? It is a pity because Moebious was decent enough.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
gk_6M_zps51a727e3.png

To be fair, he looks like a junkie on the left image, but that's due to the light coming from an odd angle. The image on the right does away with all that, which makes him lifeless and devoid of facial features.

Also, left GK looks like Rick Astley, come to think of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just spotted an old ad for the original Gabriel Knight, and one of the blurbs made me wonder:

A Tribute to the hot new NEO-GOTHIC genre!

...what the fuck are they talking about? That was 20 years ago, and today dictionaries only refer the original meaning of the word: Related to architecture. What "genre" were they referring to?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I just spotted an old ad for the original Gabriel Knight, and one of the blurbs made me wonder:

A Tribute to the hot new NEO-GOTHIC genre!

...what the fuck are they talking about? That was 20 years ago, and today dictionaries only refer the original meaning of the word: Related to architecture. What "genre" were they referring to?
I remembered reading an Jane Jensen interview last year where she mentioned some of the game's influences, so maybe some of these count:
Jane Jensen said:
Growing up I read Stephen King and Anne Rice and John Saul and all that sort of thing [. . .] The game was made in 1993, and in the late 80s there were some really good voodoo movies out. The Believers with Martin Sheen, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Angel Heart

But you're right, the term "neo-gothic" made me think of the British Houses of Parliament. :lol:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So was this shit or not?

Nobody updated the thread since release in oct'15

Is it worth buying?

DeepOcean

Arcane
So was this shit or not?

Is it worth buying?
Did you play the original?
Yes?
Then don't buy it.
No?
Still don't buy it and play the original instead.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, lecuck, this is great stuff. Why, you could say it rivals the best of Bigfish games.

Gabriel-Knight-Remake-08.jpg

likaq

Arcane
Yes, this:

Gabriel-Knight-Remake-08.jpg

is worse than this:

screenshot1319-3.gif

tell me more.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
So was this shit or not?

Is it worth buying?
Did you play the original?
Yes?
Then don't buy it.
No?
Still don't buy it and play the original instead.

That bad, huh? How come?

Did they change anything major from the original? Are the graphics way worse? What's the story
Man, Gabriel Knight is a pretty good story fag experience, once you are finished, you will wonder why Jane Jensen isn't writing more games. I was enthralled by the story and I tend to be nitpicky as fuck on that department. I don't like the remake, not that the technical part is bad, the graphix are decent but they kinda look like those generic low budget plastic looking adventure games while the original had a pretty good art style.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Bought remake for $4.99 during the recent adventure game sale on GOG.

I am on day 2. Fuck the naysayers, I'm enjoying it. Not nearly as bad as the crybabies in this thread made it out to be.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not that the remake's graphics are ugly, it's just that they don't even remotely capture the atmosphere of the original. The scary places are less scary, the cozy places less cozy, the mysterious places less mysterious, because the environments look way too clean and the lighting is flat and boring. Different colors and different lighting set the mood in the original, but here it's just... flat and uninspiring. I haven't played the remake, but just looking at screenshots shows me enough.

Just compare Gabriel's bookstore:

gabriel-knight-sins-of-the-fathers_4.gif

Gabriel-Knight-remake-02.jpg

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
It's not that the remake's graphics are ugly, it's just that they don't even remotely capture the atmosphere of the original. The scary places are less scary, the cozy places less cozy, the mysterious places less mysterious, because the environments look way too clean and the lighting is flat and boring. Different colors and different lighting set the mood in the original, but here it's just... flat and uninspiring. I haven't played the remake, but just looking at screenshots shows me enough.

I hear what you're saying, but the bottom screenshot is playing the game in the wrong aspect ratio, and I think that takes a bit away from it. It looks TERRIBLE when it's so zoomed in like that. You are essentially seeing about 2/3 of the picture. I received the helpful tip to play in 4:3 so the bottom and top of the image wasn't cropped, and I think it helps a lot. Playing this remake in 2048x1536 has improved the experience. Sure, it doesn't address your issue with the color scheme, but it helps a lot IMO. I also think some of the nice touches like the new style of windows in the bottom picture make it seem a lot more "New Orleans".

Plus the new music is very nicely done while still retaining the original feel quite well, and helps sell the experience.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My biggest issue with remakes of serial titles is the dissonance it creates when you replay the entire series. It's not that bad in this case since the differences between GK1-3 are pretty big anyway.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
My biggest issue with remakes of serial titles is the dissonance it creates when you replay the entire series. It's not that bad in this case since the differences between GK1-3 are pretty big anyway.
It's an interesting issue with respect to some of the VGA/cursor remakes of the (C?)EGA/parser originals: hard to play SQ2, QFG2, KQ2 in the original form after player the remakes, though for QFG2 it's not hard to make an exception.

Naraya

Arcane

Seriously what the fuck? It's like, ALL charm is gone from the lower screenshot...

Barbarian

Arcane
The original is just better. Period. That makes the remake completely pointless.

And I'm not just talking about the art. Even the voice acting was something hard to upset. All the new puzzles/dialogs/scenes they added are utter crap too. Fucking minigames man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom