Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary Edition - remake by Jane Jensen

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Iiiiiiiiiiiiit's Cobbett! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/26/gabriel-knight-20th-anniversary/

Impressions: Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary
By Richard Cobbett on August 26th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

gk208.jpg

Reluctant shadow hunter Gabriel Knight returns to the scene of his first case soon, and we’ve played through the first few days (though for this one, we’ll be talking just about a recent build offering a polished up version of Days 1 and 2). Will history repeat itself both inside and out of the game and turn a 90s adventure classic into a modern one too? Here’s some impressions.

Gabriel Knight is, and by no small amount, one of my favourite adventure games of all time, and one I hold very dear – an early glimpse at a world that truly embraced the kind of narrative and atmosphere and maturity that we now take for granted, but was in sadly short supply back in 1993. I remember seeing the first screenshot, of Grace apologising to one of Gabriel’s many conquests that “Gabriel is a lout. I mean, he’s out.” I remember the issue of InterAction, the official magazine that proudly declared itself “A Blatantly Biased Look At The Games From The Sierra Family,” showing this world not based on dungeons and dragons or fairy tales or whatever, but inspired by the likes of Angel Heart. Obviously I’d never heard of that movie at the time, and wouldn’t in fact see it for another decade (It’s really good by the way), but it was clear that here was something special, to be anticipated and savoured and remembered and talked about some twenty years hence.

It certainly wasn’t the only adult adventure out there, with Sierra’s own Dynamix and Coktel Vision alone having several under their belts. It was however one of the first heavy hitters, held up as proof that gaming was now a grown-up thing – a tale of voodoo murder and dark history set in a world of New Orleans where one man had to uncover a conspiracy, atone for the sins of his fathers… hey, it was even in the title… and fill millions of players’ heads with all kinds of voodoo trivia that they would, probably, never be able to use. It also taught the world one valuable life lesson – never beg sympathy from a Cajun. Why? Because everyone knows you have to be Creole to be kind. Badoom-tsssh.

The thing is though that while I love the original, I’ve never been sure what the point of a remake actually is. First, the original is easily acquired and a few pixels the size of cats never hurt anybody. More importantly though, as great as it was, it was a thing very much of its time – and it’s not the graphics that date it. Twenty years is a long time, and standards have changed. The horror elements that once worked so well now feel quaint, the main story of Gabriel and his monster hunting family has been done to death, and most of all, the pacing that was fine for a 1993 adventure is now just so, so, so slow. There just never seemed any real chance of it recapturing the vibe… the spark… the raw of-its-timeness that made the original so important the first time around.

Disappointingly, I seem to be right so far. But that’s not the only reason I feel let down.

gk202.jpg

This remake is, to be clear, basically fine. Fine. It’s Gabriel Knight; the same story, the same script, the same game, save a couple of tweaks here and there and a little streamlining, such as no longer being able to go to the Napoleon House, Voodoo Museum, Dixieland Drugstore or Grandma Knight’s home on Day 1. I understand the reasoning, to make it clearer what you’re meant to do, but it still feels a shame; making the world feel so much smaller, as well as losing the earlier pointers to Gabriel having a life outside of torturing Mosely and waiting for his destiny. That said, other simplifying changes are very welcome, including making it much easier to find that bloody snake scale on Lake Pontchartrain, and making it much easier to find that bloody snake scale on Lake Pontchartain. Yes, I’m including that one twice, and considering throwing it in a third time.

What’s missing though is the vibe, the atmosphere, and most importantly, a sense that this remake was done with a full understanding of why decisions were made the first time around, despite Jane Jensen being on board. It’s hard to explain why it doesn’t work, but… okay, try this. Imagine taking a TV show, upscaling it to IMAX size, and passing it off as an IMAX movie. It’s not going to fly, because the creative decisions that went into the original can’t simply be copy and pasted into another format. Here for instance, the move from a letterbox view to a full screen has major knock-on implications for the setting. The letter boxing added a sinister claustrophobic nature to the world that added to the sense of menace all around despite it taking most of the game for anything to really happen, and that’s gone. Just as notably though, the original rooms are built around that aspect ratio, with the result that their redrawn ones… especially stretched out across a widescreen monitor… can feel cavernous. Gabriel’s detective pal Mosely especially seems to have less of an office than a warehouse, while the roof of Gabriel’s bedroom is now about twelve feet high. In itself, no, that’s not a big deal, but a change of view this dramatic calls for more reworking than redrawing.

gk203.jpg

The use of colour is arguably the biggest problem throughout the bits that I’ve seen though. Gabriel Knight was inspired by graphic novels and restricted to a 256 colour palette, and the artists used every shade of it to push the atmosphere of each scene – the warmth of St. George’s, the coldness of the murder at Lake Pontchartain, and most dramatically, the otherworldly opening of each day – blood red letters splashing over vivid pools of green and purple and an amber sky that doesn’t get to rise. Here though, not only are those individual elements nowhere near as strong even at their darkest, they’re soon flattened by the light in a way that smacks less of “Welcome to our dark game of mystery” as “Cool, looking like a nice morning in New Orleans.” It’s just not the same.

gk209.jpg

Again, it’s not that the art is in itself bad. It does however often seem to miss the point, stepping away from elements that worked so well to create atmosphere the first time around instead of seeming to acknowledge their importance, and making some genuinely bizarre changes. Socialite and definitely not villain Malia Gedde for instance has swapped her moody, fire-lit library and its expensive chairs for brightness and… chintzy pink leather? The murder scene at Lake Pontchartrain, originally cold and moody and in the middle of nowhere, is now orange-soaked and peaceful and looking like quite a nice place for a picnic. This quickly has a dreadful knock-on-effect with Malia’s graphic novel style intro when she rolls up in her car and we no can longer have the powerful, iconic contrast between her warm world of orange and Gabriel’s of blue. The art also gives her an oddly neutral expression rather than the actual emotion of the original… that shock before she can steady herself and regain control of the situation, foreshadowing the strange relationship to come.

It’s just so disappointing. Gabriel Knight was all about style and mood and atmosphere. 20th Anniversary is technically solid, well drawn, and to be fair sometimes looks really, really good – St. George’s and the Voodoo Museum being standouts on these Days. It feels oddly passionless though; screen after screen of proficient, cucumber-flavoured meh that’s far more concerned with technical realism than pushing the intended mood or needs of the story they’re telling.

gk204.jpg

One thing that the remake had no choice but to start afresh with though are voices, due to the original recordings not being available or good enough quality, and much of its cast being either out of a remake’s budget or inconveniently dead. The replacements I’ve heard so far are at least okay, though sometimes it can be difficult to judge between better, worse, and simply different. Grace for instance sounds flat to me, but to at least some extent that could be down to just not being Leah Remini. By far the biggest improvement so far is the Narrator, sticking with Virginia Capers’ strong accent but talking a lot faster. The weakest so far however is Gabriel himself, who always seems to be doing an impression of Tim Curry doing his already dodgy New Orleans accent. (Yes. Yes it was.) It’s distracting when it’s okay, and when it’s not… well, think “Schattenjager Elvis.”

It adds a few things to the mix too of course, including the aforementioned streamlining of the puzzles, a Journal that replaces the tape-recorder with quick reminders of what to do next, a full hints system, and behind-the-scenes bonus content. This is a really great idea, frustratingly executed, showing storyboards and early pencilwork and comparison shots… trapped in a really small window in the middle of the screen, with no way to blow them out and actually get a good look. There are also a few comments from people like Jensen and composer Robert Holmes, but again no space to actually put them, so all there seems to be are thrown out snippets like “The police station music has a sense of humour. Inspirations were Animal House and Airplane” and “The player encounters the murder scene right away on day 1.” Yeah. Not exactly the inside scoop there, guys.

gk207.jpg

Again though, the issue feels a bit deeper; a lingering lack of passion – that the updates are only concerned with the surface level, that the art takes the safest possible path, that the flow changes are less about the sense that this is how Gabriel Knight should be as just, well, talking down a bit to modern adventurers as poor startled children who couldn’t possibly handle things like a bar that doesn’t serve an immediate purpose. This also unfortunately extends to some of the weakly implemented edits and additions, like nobody having taken a moment to fix the line where Grace comments on Gabriel’s hair sticking up despite him now having the lion’s mane look from the later games, or the way that looking at the newspaper claims that the front page story is about the Voodoo Murders when the new zoom-in to show it reveals it to be a puff piece for Jackson Square that no paper would dream of wasting a headline on on the slowest of news days. Or, most embarrassingly, that there’s a big pile of Gabriel’s novels in his cabinet that are credited to “Blake Backlash” (and in one case “Black Backlash”), which Beast Within players will know is his detectiverather than his pen-name, and definitely not the name of a female orthodontist as discussed on Day 1.

gk210.jpg

These are trivial things, yes, but trivial things build up, especially in a game meant to be a celebration. And unfortunately for me, even a couple of days built them up too much. I won’t say I’m not curious to see how a few of the later scenes have been redone and won’t be glad to get a remastered version of the soundtrack at some point, but nothing in the days I’ve played suggests that this rather than the original is going to be the definitive version. They both suffer from pacing issues, but the original just has more personality in everything from backgrounds to portraits, sprites that seem part of the world, better atmosphere despite the infinitely more limited technology and palette, and above all, makes all the pieces feel like they’re pulling together. The remake on the other hand has a simplified interface and streamlining, better music, a tolerable narrator and graphics better suited to modern monitors even if they are iPad aspect ratio. I know which I’d choose.

gk205.jpg

What could improve things before release? Things like graphics and voice are obviously locked at this point, though a few quick changes where possible to the newspapers and Gabriel’s books wouldn’t go amiss. Realistically though, the biggest improvement for me would be to throw out the behind-the-scenes content in its current form and replace it with something good – allow full-screen views and zooms of the scans, and dump the dribblingly inane “The splendour of Malia Gedde’s home is a direct contrast to Gabriel’s lifestyle” obviousness in favour of some actual anecdotes, stories, talk of things like how the game changed over development and cut content, other directions the game might have taken, talk of the line is between the real and fictional voodoo, how the graphic novel style came to be and why it wasn’t continued with in later games… y’know,interesting things. As much as I prefer the original game to its remake so far, that would offer a solid reason to go through it again. Certainly more than the new tweaks and shiny scenery.

Still, I do hope it does well. It might just be my imagination, but 20th Anniversary feels less like a project in its own right as a glorified audition for that Gabriel Knight sequel that we never got, in much the same way as Leisure Suit Larry. The series didn’t have the same level of “Oh youbastards!” cliffhanger as, say, Tex Murphy, but it would be good to see the story conclude in some form, whether a new novel like Aaron Connors is doing for Tex, or a full-on new adventure. Whether or not this can bring in enough new fans to rekindle the fire though, I have doubts. Honestly, I think it might even do it harm, to show people a game that’s been talked up for so long only to have them go “Wait, what? This is it?” and just wonder what the hell the fuss was about in the first place. That’s a far more likely response than being blown away, even if a big reason for that is that so many great games that came later owe it a debt of inspiration. The original is still an indisputable classic, but playing the remake just confirms that it’s a classic that’s had its day, even if it does still have its Knight.

Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary Edition is due for release “mid-2014″.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Stoppped reading about the time he said "for its time".

What the hell is wrong with people? Am I the only gamer on the planet whose tastes don't flip 180 degrees every couple of years?

That shitty editorial I linked in the random thread made the EXACT SAME comment about GK1. "For its time."

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In my experience, Richard Cobbett is okay as long as he reviews things he actually likes (more or less at least), and as long as he doesn't cater to the contemporary audience too much. Whenever he does, however, you get stuff like "good for its time" all the time (sorry), often in some blatantly stupid (and poorly-argued) ways. This particular article is actually really mild in that regard.

Sometimes it's hard to say whether he really hates any kind of "old school" design or maybe he's just trying his best to stay "relevant."

Boleskine

Arcane
Impressions from IGN.

For some of us, there’s a certain thrill to launching a 1993 classic point-and-click game to find it now has options for anti-aliasing and resolutions up to 1920x1200. Our favorite New Orleans voodoo investigator is back in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition, his familiar face and hometown now lovingly rendered in 3D. Original designer Jane Jensen’s Pinkerton Road studio is co-developing the project with Phoenix Online, a studio most well known for The Silver Lining – a creative but rough-around-the-edges fan sequel to the King’s Quest series. Will this Gabriel Knight remake manage to avoid the same scrappiness?
I played a PC preview build, which included the first two “days” of the ten that make up Gabriel’s story. The redone opening sequence is a little disappointing and just doesn’t feel as high-fidelity as today’s technology should allow for, with hand-drawn characters moving awkwardly like paper dolls – but whatever misgivings I had were brief, evaporating as soon as I was in-game and in control of the title character.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition Trailer
00:56
The iconic settings retain all their charm, with the hi-res remodelling now adding an extra layer of detail; the street outside Gabriel’s iconic bookstore glistens with dew, and amusing new details can be discovered by dedicated pixel-combers (such as “Fear of Commitment,” a book tucked away amongst the belongings of our favorite ladies’ man).

The characters, too, have been remodeled in 3D, with close-ups of their faces replacing the dramatic 2D character portraits of the original game. While these new in-conversation portraits lose their dark edge, subtle facial animation is a nice trade-off; characters now frown, gasp, and smirk believably.

Besides some simplification of the point-and-click options available (after all, who really needs separate “speak to” and “interrogate” buttons?), gameplay’s largely unchanged. Unfortunately, the method of selecting a “primary” inventory item has become somewhat clumsy, but all other actions can be performed via a simple sub-menu (think Curse of Monkey Island’s use of the SCUMM engine).

How does this remake fare in the absence of original voice actor Tim Curry and his distinctive N’awlins drawl? News that the voices had been recast for this remake worried quite a few of the series’ diehard fans, but I can say confidently that the new actors absolutely nail their characters – so much so that I often found it hard to tell there’d been a change of voice at all. Even the hilarious, thickly-accented narrator is back, albeit now a little less drawly to suit the time-starved gamers of the modern age.

New additions to this 20th anniversary release include a hint system and an overlay that reveals every object that can be inspected or interacted with on the current screen. Fascinating development notes are also available to hyper-keen players, accessed by a star-shaped icon in the bottom-left corner. Click it, and you’ll see what the current scene looked like in the original game, as well as access fun tidbits such as sketches, notes, and interviews from development. It’s a wonderful feature for older fans, but those new to the series might want to avoid it on their first playthrough, as I spied a few notes that could be construed as minor spoilers.

Exploring New Orleans yielded a couple of discoveries. Some puzzles and locations were made inaccessible until certain points in time – I wasn’t sure if this was to simplify the demo, or whether this will also happen in the final build to help “streamline gameplay,” but in any case I did find myself mildly annoyed about being boxed into a certain sequence. Still, there are some new areas to explore, which is a nice touch. Though these scenes didn’t seem to contain any new puzzles, I liked how they added to the overall New Orleans feel, and I’m excited to see what other new parts of the city we might be able to explore upon the final release.

Gabriel Knight’s return has a few issues at the moment, mainly on the animation front. Sometimes characters’ mouths don’t move when they’re talking, and a scene early on sees Gabe’s butt clipping awkwardly through a desk as he “leans” against it while drinking coffee. Sometimes he straight up just walks through obstacles in the environment. In the grand scheme of things, though, these are minor complaints, and if Jensen and her team can iron them out before release then we’ll be playing a very beautiful, compelling remake indeed.
globhead_dpad_red.png

Cromwell

Arcane
Stoppped reading about the time he said "for its time".

What the hell is wrong with people? Am I the only gamer on the planet whose tastes don't flip 180 degrees every couple of years?

That shitty editorial I linked in the random thread made the EXACT SAME comment about GK1. "For its time."

I found the review largely ok (if everything is as he describes). He described how the original is in all aspects that matter better than the remake, with "for its time" he can please all the people who have no taste and therefore cant possible play the outdated original without feeling bad. - A better article than the IGN one.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
stuff like "good for its time" all the time (sorry)
:lol:

I found the review largely ok (if everything is as he describes). He described how the original is in all aspects that matter better than the remake, with "for its time" he can please all the people who have no taste and therefore cant possible play the outdated original without feeling bad. - A better article than the IGN one.
Forced myself to read the whole review. I'm not convinced, it really is a pretty terrible review. Here are basically his criticisms of the remake (at least once you past his atrocious jokes and irrelevant personal trivia that nobody who isn't him give a shit about):
a) game is outdated because standards have changed and modern adventures are where it's at
b) he bitches about the snake scale, which identifies him as yet another hipster. He probably played the original for the first time a year or two ago
c) "it doesn't workl. can't explain why." That's great criticism right there
d) Clearly has no understanding how letterbox and aspect ratios work. His specific complaint about rooms having to be stretched would imply he's never even looked at the original's screenshots if it didn't contradict his letterbox comment of one sentence prior
- he does have a point about colour and the graphics in general, so I won't count this one
e) The most hilarious bit by far is how he complains about the remake talking down to modern gamers. Need I point out the immense irony of this statement coming from someone who used "of-its-timeness" as a word and who is so butthurt about the snake scale that he felt the need to mention it TWICE IN THE SAME SENTENCE? Rich, you're living proof WHY the makers felt the need to talk down to people like you.
f) A lot of bitching about things so minor and trivial that I don't even remember them from the original
g) Modern reviewers in a nutshell: it's a remake of an adventure game that he claims to have played and implies he has finished. It'd take him maybe 3 hours to run through the whole thing. Then he admits he didn't finish and it becomes apparent from his wording that he didn't even play half of it (screenshots make me suspect he stopped at day 2, about one fifth into the game).
h) Yet more references to pacing (wut) and of-its-timeness.
i) Unironically says that this is paving the way from a 4th GK, just like the LSL remake of the remake
j) Conclusion of course yet AGAIN brings up of-its-timeness. Hint: classic BY DEFINITION means the of-its-time argument DOES NOT APPLY.

Here's my issue with the review: all of the trivial and irrelevant things he bitches about, all this constant harping about how the original is a classic of its time (lulz) take away from the actual problem with the remake: it is completely unnecessary. He touches on this when he's comparing the use of palette and voices, and especially when he criticises the behind the scenes feature, but all the points I listed above make it clear he's missed the point. This remake isn't useless because the original hasn't aged well or because it was a product of its time that if released now would pale in comparison to how mature gaming has become (double-lulz). It is worthless because it adds nothing of value to the original. Full stop. The new graphics aren't as careful with colour usage and so the atmosphere suffers. The voice acting doesn't add any more consistency to the series and isn't necessarily better overall. The streamlining removes some of the pleasure of exploration, not to mention visiting some places earlier than you had to (like Grandma Knight) fleshed out the characters and backstory early on, which was a good thing. THIS is the problem with the remake, and this is what he should have focused on, not how great modern gaming is and how much the original is a product of its time. That he seems to genuinely believe that this remake's success will really give us a 4th game (a good 4th game) is laughable. The remake is nothing but a quick cash-in and the promise of a sequel is nothing but a carrot to make gullible fans waste their money - exactly as was the case with the LSL remake, which he brought up without even realising the implication.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree with most of your points, but I am fairly sure Richard Cobbett did play GK. He's actually a fairly thorough reviewer all around, even if he has very peculiar taste and arguments.

Boleskine

Arcane
I never really got the complaints about the snake scale. The grass does look different enough in that area. It's the third thing the player should notice, after the blood and pattern.

1-001.png

If there's one thing to complain about here, maybe it's the clay. Not quite a pixel hunt, but less obvious at least until you realize you might need it on day 3/4 (I can't remember which one).

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, you can't visit the places before the plot requires you to? Streamlined puzzles? So the remake is worse than irrelevant is actually worse than the original game...:lol: The only point Richard Cobbett says something positive in the review is when he talks about the streamlining... Boy, I think if is even more telling that Richard Cobbett is a TellTale style storyfag and couldn't give a fuck about classic adventure games, that didn't come out of the closet yet for fear of his hipster friends, that never played GK in the first place, accuse him of not being hipster enough.:lol:

I honestly don't believe on the sincerity of someone that starts a review with "I loved this game, I really did." then proceed to bitch, nitpick and do meaningless criticism with not real argument. Boy, gamming journous are really insecure things.:lol:

So when is it out? I want to play it on muh iPad or obliterate the whole project for the sake of the classic original.

They only had one job. No other reason for it to exist.

m_s0

Arcane
So, who's this Cobbett guy and why do people care so much about what he has to say?

I still can't get over how fucking hideous this remake is, and with every new bit I see I get even more pissed off about it.

Someone tell me how this is supposed to be an improvement:

gk204.jpg

Cheapo anime Gabriel Knight? I'll let Mosely's weirdly positioned (it seems a bit off in relation to his body) head slide just because everything else in that image is much more jarring than that, but why did they change the composition in that panel? Or the background, for that matter? The original feels natural and dynamic because of how it is composed, and the way those characters are drawn manages to convey their personalities and even reflects their relationship later on in the game in the case of Gabriel (note the dopey look on his face) and Malia. And that reflection is a classy little touch that compliments the overall mood of the scene and enlivenes it. I've never picked it apart like this, it just always looked right. :incline: all around and hats off to the artist.

The new version loses all of that. All that personality is gone, Gabriel is now a smug anime twat, Malia looks like a cyborg in that new close-up (not to mention that the close-up doesn't match the way she looks in the other new panel, which is still slightly dodgy-looking, but at least decent in terms of resemblance to the original), while the scene itself is a static, flat, bland, uninspired, utterly meaningless, heavy-handed, badly drawn and completely inconsistent in terms of its art style mess. Finally: the new color palette sucks all the mood out.

And don't get me started on that police station screen. Or those books. Did they even play the goddamn game(s) before fucking with this? Who approved this bullshit? Jane Jensen? :argh:

:negative:

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The thing with the snake scale is that it's an entirely appropriate place to have a pixel hunt. Some pixel hunts are illogical: for example, hypothetically, making the player struggle to find a menu at a restaurant. There's nothing mimetic about that experience. (I'm not saying mimesis is always good, only that it is one rationale for implementing something that is otherwise annoying to a player.) No one painstakingly searches a restaurant for a menu; they're easy to see, and if you don't see one, you ask a waiter. But the very nature of a crime scene is that it should be pored over, inch by inch, to find forensic clues. Asking the player to do so is asking him to step into the shoes of the character; forcing the player to engage in that task not in spite of but because of the tedium and frustration teaches the player, in one short moment of discomfort, that the life of a thorough investigator isn't all topless priestesses and mimes.

Now, from Primordia, I've learned my lesson of insisting that players disengage their autopilot mentality. ("Why does using a pen on piece of paper write, while using a piece of paper on a pen does nothing? It makes no sense!" says the person who every day uses a pen to write on a piece of paper.) The autopilot mindset -- especially today, but even when GK came out -- leads the player to say "I will interact only with what I can see immediately; I will assume that in all instances, hotspots will be more or less equally obvious; I will approach problems by asking, 'How does a player play an adventure game?' rather than 'How does an investigator investigate a crime scene?'" Generally speaking, I think a game developer is responsible for trying to help players learn to play games better. It's like being a teacher*; you meet your students where they are -- you don't start by expecting them to be adult geniuses -- but you try to lead them from where they are to somewhere better, even if only a little bit better, even if they only get there slowly. (* I realize this is condescending / patronizing / full of myself / etc.; I'm sure there's a more benign analogy, but it's the one that came to me.)

Ultimately, I'm not sure where I come down on hiding the snake scale. It seems to me that it probably asks too much of players; probably very few got anything out of it other than frustration. Even though it can be defended as an educational/mimetic experience, probably it just leads to players adding a "click everywhere" stage to their autopilot mentality. That is why I think, even though the puzzle is defensible, it probably was still not a great idea.

But I think the focus he gives to that puzzle is problematic. By suggesting that it's the paradim of "pixel hunting for no good reason" strikes me as pretty superficial. That said, I'm hardly unbiased on the subject, as I still rankle at the fact that he wrote a review inaccurately asserting that the kiosk puzzle in Primordia was unavoidable. :)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
At least they didn't give Moseley a LCD monitor :lol:

But I agree that the remake has none of the atmosphere that made the original great. This latest slew of screenshots dissuaded me from wanting to take a chance on the remake.

Edit: they made Malia wear red pants? seriously?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been ignoring this every since i learned they were making it. It doesn't exist, don't post in this thread and you'll be much happier.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Have you played the Blade Runner pc game MRY ?

It turns pixel hunts into legitimate gameplay in almost exactly the way you're talking about. If you recall from the movie, there is a part where Harrison Ford examines a picture and does the usual sci-fi "enhance it", and then finds a clue. They took this idea in the PC game, and there are maybe 5 crime scene photos you have to examine and zoom and pan to just the right spot to get a clue.

It doesn't feel like bs because there is a clear signal about what to do. You're given a picture and a computer to enhance it and told to find clues. There is some margin of error given, you just need to be close enough, not exactly within one pixel. Plus, you're living out your blade running fantasy (it's something Deckard did!) so it feels fun.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Despite Vic (the artist on Primordia) nagging me to play it, I never have. Honestly, I have hardly any time or energy for playing games these days. I feel like a shmuck for saying it, but basically I have at most two free hours a day that could be spent on some combination of reading, writing, game making, movie watching, and game playing, and I try to put most of it toward creative activities. I find that playing games in really short spurts is pretty unsatisfying; I almost always quit partway through even if I am enjoying the game because I lose momentum.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Am I the only one with the eerie feeling that this will fail to sell and that we might not see another jensen game for quite some time? Not even fans of the game seem to be interested. I must have seem dozens of comments to the effect of "won't be better than the original; won't waste my time with it".

How well did Moebius sell anyway? At least that one was already funded prior to development so I'm sure they are not on the red.

Boleskine

Arcane
Gabriel Knight interview: Jane Jensen on the revival of her classic adventure game

Interview by Stefanie Fogel

Veteran game designer Jane Jensen and her indie studio, Pinkerton Road, have been working on a 20th anniversary remake of the classic Sierra point-and-click adventure Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers since last year. After co-designing King's Quest VI in 1992, Jensen got her first shoot at designing and directing her own project. That game was Gabriel Knight, the story of a New Orleans writer who investigates a series of ritualistic voodoo murders and discovers he’s the descendant of a long line of monster hunters. Pinkerton Road plans to launch the Gabriel Knight remake in early fall.

Jane Jensen recently spoke to PC Gamer about what's changing in the Gabriel Knight remake, the revival of the Sierra brand, and her hopes for a new game starring everyone’s favorite N’awlins Schattenjäger.

PC Gamer: Why did you decide to remake Gabriel Knight?

Jane Jensen, game designer, Pinkerton Road Studio: I don’t own the license, and I’ve gone in to pitch various GK ideas probably three different times over the last 20 years. We just never got very far with it. And then, when we were doing our Kickstarter, I had somebody from Activision contact me. And this was a producer who was really interested in bringing back some of the Sierra titles. And so I met with them and discussed what would be good to do and I really thought if we wanted to kick off the GK series again it would be a good idea to redo the first one.

PCG: Why did Activision approach you? Did they tell you?

Jensen: Well, like any big company, it’s really a matter of somebody in-house being passionate about something, and this producer was passionate about seeing some of the Sierra stuff, and I think, eventually, that morphed into them refreshing the whole Sierra brand, which they’re just starting to do. But when I was first talking to them, that hadn’t happened yet and he was still trying to feel out ways to bring some of these titles back.

PCG: How did you feel about the announcement that Sierra Entertainment’s coming back?

Jensen: I think it’s great. I think it’s way past time that they did something with that wonderful franchise that has been passed around, and I’m happy to see somebody paying attention to it again and looking forward to hopefully lots of new titles.

PCG: So, what’s changed in the remake?

Jensen: Well, it’s high definition … it has all-new art, all-new music, new voices, and I tried to stay true to the original design for the most part, but we did some things. Initially in the game you could do all kinds of stuff on any day. So, really on Day One you could do half the game, practically. We wanted to space that out a little bit more, so that if we wanted to be able to sell per episode or per day on iPad we could. It was never intended to be episodic, but sometimes it works to have that kind of a sales model. So, all of the material is there, it’s just that now it’s a little bit more structured in terms of when you can do stuff and I think that works better for a modern audience too, because Day One isn’t so overwhelming.

We added some new scenes and a few new puzzles just because we could. And one of the things I wanted to do with the new edition is really bring in a lot of New Orleans flavor. We added some exterior scenes so that we could show the French Quarter that wasn’t in the original game. I also wanted to make the game a little scarier if possible, so there were a few puzzles that we changed, which were later in the game and were kind of on the funny side, that we decided to go with something a little bit scarier at that point in the story.

PCG: So is this your definitive edition of Gabriel Knight? Like George Lucas and Star Wars and his special editions?

Jensen: [laughs] It definitely is a special director’s cut kind of edition, yeah.

PCG: You mentioned the voice acting was redone with a whole new cast. That’s a shame because the original Gabriel Knight had such a great cast going for it. Tim Curry, Mark Hamill, Michael Dorn, Leah Remini…

Jensen: Yeah. It was amazing. It’s just different times. You know, it was 20 years ago and we didn’t have access to the original recordings. All we could have done is strip the game of its audio and that was very compressed because it had to be on CD-ROM and floppy at that time. It’s 20 years, so a lot of those people either wouldn’t have sounded the same or are retired or would have been incredibly expensive.

It just wasn’t possible for us to get the same cast again for a variety of reasons and part of that is budget. It just would’ve been in the hundreds of thousands and there’s no way we had a budget like that for voice-overs. So, we used [Bay Area Sound], which is a company we used on Moebius too, and they also do all the Telltale games. They’ve won awards for The Walking Dead and various games and I think they did an excellent job.

PCG: What was it like to work on Gabriel Knight back in the ‘90s before it first came out?

Jensen: It was really exciting. It was [the] first big project I was able to do by myself. I mean, that I was designing by myself, because I had worked with Roberta Williams on King’s Quest VI and worked on EcoQuest with Gano Haine and Bill Davis and so it was—I was very, very ambitious. I was really passionate about adventure games and really wanted to be a designer and it was sort of my big shot. And so it was just a year where everything was about work. And the team was really motivated and really into it … we really kicked ass on it and it was probably one of the most intense projects I ever did.

At that time at Sierra, we had our offices where the team was and there was a factory warehouse in the back where they actually manufactured the boxes. And the whole team tromped down there and … outside of Johnny Williams’ office, there was this little balcony where you could look down on the conveyor belt, basically where you saw the product coming off, and we were watching the very first boxes coming off and it was just such an amazing feeling of like, “Wow. I’m published as a designer. This is my first real game.”

PCG: That must have been a little bit intimidating too.

Jensen: It was. Especially at first, because I had come up with the Gabriel Knight idea, pitched it, and got approval to go ahead. But there were a number of, I would say, doubters at the company who weren’t sure it was going to work, because it was a darker game and Sierra up to that point had pretty much just done humor and family-based products. So that sort of shook my own faith of like, “Am I really doing the right thing? This is my chance. Am I going to blow it?” But we just moved forward with it and fortunately it seemed to resonate with [players].

PCG: Why do you think the publishers were hesitant to touch horror games back in the day?

Jensen: I think part of it was the market. At that time, the PC game market ... really didn’t have a fast enough processor to really run action-based games. Those were in the malls arcades in the big machines, and so really the audience for the PC games was more family and older hobbyist, not so much the younger male demographic at that time. So, I think up to that time Sierra had been successful doing humor—and also LucasArts, which was their biggest competitor, pretty much did humor—so it just wasn’t a tested thing. It wasn’t something people felt comfortable with knowing how it was going to pan out.

PCG: So now that you’ve had 20 years to look back on it, how do you feel about the Gabriel Knight games now?

Jensen: Well, I’m really proud of them. I think since then there have been so many games—not just games, but TV shows. After Gabriel Knight came out, there was The X-Files and then Supernatural, which I’d been watching, which is really similar in that they are hunters of evil monsters. So, there’s been a lot that has been going on in pop culture since then that’s maybe sort of moved past the original series. But I think that it’s very beloved and I’m hoping that we can get the first game out and then hopefully start doing more games that are really kind of modern and really take the universe to a new place.

PCG: What are the chances, if this is successful, of seeing remakes of Gabriel Knight 2 and 3?

Jensen: That wouldn’t be my first choice. I would rather do a GK 4. I think it would be really hard to redo GK 2 because of the fact that it was done with FMV. I think it would feel really so different … much more different than the new GK 1 does from the original GK 1, because they both were 2-D. So, I don’t know. I’m not opposed to it, but it probably wouldn’t be my first choice for a next project.

PCG: So, you already have plans for a Gabriel Knight 4?

Jensen: Nothing firm, but I think especially now since Activision has announced the new Sierra brand they’re pretty open to it. I think we all want to wait to see how the GK 1 remake does and hopefully if that does pretty well we’ll be able to move on to a GK 4.

PCG: Thanks, Jane!

Want to see Jane Jensen talking more about her classic games? Check out our PC Classic Commentary of King's Quest VI with Jane!

Crooked Bee

Patron

Jensen: Nothing firm, but I think especially now since Activision has announced the new Sierra brand they’re pretty open to it. I think we all want to wait to see how the GK 1 remake does and hopefully if that does pretty well we’ll be able to move on to a GK 4.

So, now I have to buy the GK remake. Thanks, Jane Jensen. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So, now I have to buy the GK remake. Thanks, Jane Jensen. :P

Didn't you pledge enough to get it through Kickstarter?

madrigal

Augur
So, you can't visit the places before the plot requires you to? Streamlined puzzles? So the remake is worse than irrelevant is actually worse than the original game...:lol:
It does sound like a bad change, exploration was one of the fun parts of the original and made the game feel less linear. I enjoyed visiting the voodoo hounfour on the first day even if it meant certain death.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So, you can't visit the places before the plot requires you to? Streamlined puzzles? So the remake is worse than irrelevant is actually worse than the original game...:lol:
It does sound like a bad change, exploration was one of the fun parts of the original and made the game feel less linear. I enjoyed visiting the voodoo hounfour on the first day even if it meant certain death.

wat

:o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom