Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameBanshee.com sold

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The new owner is https://lexicon.gg
Opening another site they run, www.warcrafttavern.com, with AdBlock, there are no visible ads. Disabling AdBlock, there is only one ad for me, a bottom horizontal bar about mental health services.
Overall, probably not decline.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The new owner is https://lexicon.gg
Opening another site they run, www.warcrafttavern.com, with AdBlock, there are no visible ads. Disabling AdBlock, there is only one ad for me, a bottom horizontal bar about mental health services.
Overall, probably not decline.
Nothing but an always-in-view bottom ad bar lol. Plus ads on the side.

Cancer for sure, but maybe it won't require a website redesign, and won't affect adblocker users, granted.

This takes me back to the early aughts... I haven't visited the website in years, but I might rip gamebanshee with HTTrack for the walkthroughs, just in case it goes to shit under new ownership.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always got that site and the Sorcerers one mixed up, or at least the ones you could read within the browser without having to download anything. They both have really great Planescape walkthroughs but I probably went to GameBanshee more often.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I always got that site and the Sorcerers one mixed up, or at least the ones you could read within the browser without having to download anything. They both have really great Planescape walkthroughs but I probably went to GameBanshee more often.
Our online walkthroughs are usually more detailed than theirs and we also have quite a few more focused guides, plus we've normally got a bunch of supplemental downloadable content/guides. They have us beat in the number of games covered, though, so for any game where our coverage isn't sufficient (or existent), it makes sense to look there.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Used to read the news there a lot but the comments sections were super cucked and if you ever disagreed with mainstream thought the moderator would step in to discourage plurality of opinion. My guess is it's been a steady decade of decline and they are simply trying to get some money out of it before it goes bust.

BruceVC

Magister
I still visit GB to read there reviews and I sometimes use the numerous walkthroughs they create

Im glad they not going under because they a good gaming website :cool:

A horse of course

I got a virus from their obnoxious ads about a decade ago and stopped visiting for years. They have some good walkthroughs, maps and such from the glory days though.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Our online walkthroughs are usually more detailed than theirs and we also have quite a few more focused guides, plus we've normally got a bunch of supplemental downloadable content/guides. They have us beat in the number of games covered, though, so for any game where our coverage isn't sufficient (or existent), it makes sense to look there.
How long have you guys been around? Because my memory is extremely poor these days (to a worrisome degree, because I'm 37 and already have severe issues with it and dementia runs in my family..) but I feel like I used to consult the Baldur's Gate and Planescape walkthroughs on Sorcerer's Place back when the games were relatively new, like around 1999 or 2000. Would that be possible? I turned 15 in 2000 but I had burned disc copies of each Infinity Engine game that a friend made for me starting with Baldur's Gate when I was 13. My family had an old Gateway PC back then that I was amazed could even run those games, but my friend came from a wealthier family and had all top of the line stuff and in fact introduced me to CRPGs properly. It was at his house where I learned about such games and through him I discovered all kinds of games I'd only been aware of peripherally, like Might and Magic for instance, and later on when they were new games like Diablo and Neverwinter Nights (which I hated back then due to the departure from Infinity Engine and the MMO aspect, a dislike for which I've had ever since).

Anyway if I'm not misremembering it, I do dimly recall referring to guides for all of those games because I had no idea whatsoever what I was doing and my friend wasn't the type to enjoy explaining things so I found Baldur's Gate and the first Fallout to be impossibly difficult. I'd never played AD&D (though I wanted to, I just never encountered other players and was too shy to try and make it happen for myself) and although I'd played other RPG video games I had never experienced something like the THAC0 system, was utterly overwhelmed by the magic systems (it was years before I understood that resting frequently as a mage was normal, I kept thinking I was missing something lol), and just in general sucked at combat because I didn't grasp negative modifiers and to-hit chance and what the attributes controlled &c. I must have rolled a million characters that never made it to the Nashkel Mines or left Irenicus' dungeon, and don't even ask me about Fallout, I would get shot in half or speared to death within minutes of stepping into the desert, if the trials or the geckos roaming around Smoke the dog didn't kill me first. But using the online walkthroughs was what got me to understand the games and eventually be able to roll good characters and although I can't be certain I do feel like they were from Sorcerer's Place. I do remember vaguely that there were all kinds of awesome websites back then that either no longer exist or have changed radically, and I spent so much time surfing the web and reading strategy guides and tips for all of these games, making my own fan sites on geocities during computer classes at school, it was awesome!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Sorcerer's Place has been around since 1999, it's right there in the site logo. ;) So you're right on the money. Good to hear that you're a long-time visitor!

Melcar

Arcane
I always preferred GameBanshee's page layout and guides more than Sorcerer's Palace. Guides were more concise and to the point, with the webpage being easier to navigate. The maps are cool too and really help out as well. Sorcerer's Palace was my go to place for downloads. Portrait packs, patches, small mods. Sorcerer's also has a few more specific guides that I never found anywhere else.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sorcerer's Place has been around since 1999, it's right there in the site logo. ;) So you're right on the money. Good to hear that you're a long-time visitor!
Oh cool, thank you for confirming it for me, I was pretty sure I had been going there since back then!
That is wild to reflect on, how some websites that I've used for over 20 years are still there, and just as vital a resource as ever. I've always been mostly an observer online and only intermittently registered accounts on various forums and such to engage with people, but I've been paying attention for a fairly long time. I can't even really remember the first time I discovered the codex.. I know I made an account at one point, many years ago, but I have no idea what it was called or even what email I registered it with, so when I started actively posting here I had to make a new one.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always preferred GameBanshee's page layout and guides more than Sorcerer's Palace. Guides were more concise and to the point, with the webpage being easier to navigate. The maps are cool too and really help out as well. Sorcerer's Palace was my go to place for downloads. Portrait packs, patches, small mods. Sorcerer's also has a few more specific guides that I never found anywhere else.
Right, wow I forgot about the portrait packs! And there were like trainers too, for Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, weren't there? I remember using some a long time ago, like GateKeeper or DaleKeeper, something like this? Damn I haven't thought of that stuff in such a long time!

axx

Savant
Back in the day I used UHS Hints site for BG walkthroughs. GB is more detailed (in fact I'm using it for my current BG1 playthrough to make sure I didn't miss anything in areas).
Besides Sorcerer's place I also remember visiting Planetbaldursgate and Mike's rpg center (it has a cool bestiary).

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Right, wow I forgot about the portrait packs! And there were like trainers too, for Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, weren't there? I remember using some a long time ago, like GateKeeper or DaleKeeper, something like this? Damn I haven't thought of that stuff in such a long time!
It's all still there. :-D

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I remember using the Fallout Tactics guide at some point. The maps are indeed very helpful and the descriptions were concise and to the point. I hope it remains the way it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom