Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Games with great combat

Which games in any genre and on any device have truly great combat? Great, not good or decent.

• Mount & Blade: Warband

• Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• Battle Brothers

• Jagged Alliance 2

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

• Demon Souls

• Dark Souls

• Dark Souls 2

• Dark Souls 3

• Bloodbourne

• Elden Ring

• F.E.A.R.

• F.E.A.R. 2

• Nioh

• Nioh 2

• Baldur's Gate

• Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

• Temple of Elemental Evil

• Knights of the Chalice

• Knights of the Chalice 2

• Doom

• Doom 2

• Doom 2016

• Doom Eternal

• Quake

• League of Legends

• Defense of the Ancients 2

• Unreal Tournament

• Operation: Flashpoint

• ARMA III

• Devil May Cry 5

• Monster Hunter: World

• Shadow of Mordor

• Nier Automata

• God of War

• God of War: Ragnarok

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Batman: Arkham City

• Ninja Gaiden: Black

• Dragon's Dogma

• Dragon's Dogma 2

• Assasin's Creed: Odyssey

• Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Assassin's Creed 2

• Sleeping Dogs

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Grand Theft Auto IV

• Halo Infinite

• Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight

• Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

• Jedi: Fallen Order

• Jedi Survivor

• Hollow Knight

• Terraria

• Blade of Darkness

• Die by the Sword

• Rome: Total War

• Rome: Total War 2

• Medieval: Total War

• Warhammer: Total War

• Dead Cells

• Hades

• Sniper Elite 4

• Saint's Row 4

• Borderlands 2

• Risen

• Diablo

• Diablo 2

• Grim Dawn

• Path of Exile

• Titan Quest

• Vampire Survivors

• Bayonetta

• Mad Max

• Supreme Commander

• Total Annihilation

• Wacraft 3

• Warcraft2

• Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings

• XCom: UFO Defense

• XCom: Terror from the Deep

• XCom: Enemy Unknown

• Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

• Tales of Arise

• Max Payne

• Max Payne 2

• Max Payne 3

• Vermintide

• Underrail

• Hotline: Miami

• Hotline: Miami 2

• Streets of Rage 2

• Syndicate

• Crusader: No Remorse

• Hidden & Dangerous

• Hidden & Dangerous 2

• Mafia

• Mafia 2

• Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

Results are only viewable after voting.
Grampy_Bone and I had this discussion in shoutbox while Marat was discussing dildos. Which games have truly great combat (doesn't matter what type, tactical, action, hack n slash, sexual, whatever)?

Vote below. Games exclusively about combat (e.g. Hellish Quart, Exanima, Fighting Games) are excluded.

It lists everything, so we can see what the esteemed Codexers think are games with great combat. And yes, I know you asked something somewhat different, but I think this poll is more interesting to conduct. Your question will inevitably lead to 200 pages of moaning about shitty Belgian humor and nobody caring about Glenwithfanfanfans except Sawyer.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I feel like the poll is going to be absurdly long.

Games exclusively about combat (e.g. Hellish Quart, Exanima, Fighting Games) are excluded.

Wait, why? There's also a good argument that games like DOOM are exclusively combat simulators.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Where is Die by the sword??
Lumping shooters (or god forbid fromsoft abominations) together with tb iso games is also sus.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
What about Nova Drift, Brigador, Control, Vermintide, Darktide, Underrail, Elite: Dangerous, Synthetik, Titanfall 2, Space Marine, Shadow of Mordor, Blasphemous, Bulletstorm, Overload, Broforce, Killing Floor, Dying Light, Age of Decadence, MGS:V, Red Faction: Guerilla, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dishonored, Hotline Miami, Painkiller...

You're gonna need a bigger poll

Games exclusively about combat (e.g. Hellish Quart, Exanima, Fighting Games) are excluded.

Wait, why? There's also a good argument that games like DOOM are exclusively combat simulators.

Because they are not real games. Doom games are shooters, so you are at least making your way through levels, so there is something besides pure combat.

Where is Die by the sword??

It's in the list, l2read.

It's not even alphabetized. how do you list ~30,000 games?

You don't. I only list the ones with good combat, for your convenience.

What about Nova Drift, Brigador, Control, Vermintide, Darktide, Underrail, Elite: Dangerous, Synthetik, Titanfall 2, Space Marine, Shadow of Mordor, Blasphemous, Bulletstorm, Overload, Broforce, Killing Floor, Dying Light, Age of Decadence, MGS:V, Red Faction: Guerilla, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dishonored, Hotline Miami, Painkiller...

I will add some of these. Lol, Age of Decadence combat, or Dishonored combat.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Streets of Rage 2. Love the simplicity and focus on positions. Shame it's never been properly done in 3D. Don't want to be automatically turned when I attack like in Bayonetta and Dragon's Dogma.

Don't like the robotic first-person perspective, but make exceptions for a couple of games. Third-person shooters never excel because the priorities are always wrong.

Surprised Arkham City is even up there. Fighting for idiots, and looks insanely stupid. My super critique will use some Streets 2 and 4 footage.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Great combat (FPS) - Quake, UT99
Great combat (TPS) - Max Payne, Jedi Outcast
Great combat (RTS) - Starcraft
Great combat (TBS) - Heroes 3
Great combat (4X) - SMAC
Great combat (racing) - Twisted Metal 2
Great combat (fighting game) - Last Blade 2
Great combat (RPG) - KotC 2, ToEE, ToME, Underrail

Ash

Arcane
Far too many to list imo. Where the fuck to even begin? Yeah, the OP specifies "great" combat specifically, like the best of the best, but even then I want to lay down like 100 games at least, many of which would not be in the poll. Video games are excellent murder simulators.

Anyway, I won't be participating in the poll because it is shit and missing endless amounts of potential candidates, and has a lot of games with crappy combat in it too. Sorry Porky.

Streets of Rage 2.

Personally I prefer SoR3. The new mechanics go a long way.

Great combat (racing) - Twisted Metal 2

Ever play Vigilante 8 and its sequel? Easily the better vehicular combat games.

Wolf the New Order? Blasphemous? Dishonored? Shadow of Mordor? Yuck. Still, you have some gems in there, like Synthetik.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
I voted for Saints Row 4, but it comes with the massive caveat that combat is the only good element of the game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
vanilla Call of Duty 1 (the expansion United Offensive doesn't count) and Call of Duty 2 (needs PAM Mod 2.04) were absolutely fantastic MP shooters, particularly for competitive. I have fond memories playing Call of Duty during the LAN party days in 2003-2004 and online in 2005, and while I was a bit late to the party, probably some of my fondest Call of Duty memories were during the late Call of Duty 2 online competitive scene in 2007 (Australia also had a revival of it in the early 2010s for a few years).

Both games had a high skill ceiling, and allowed for strategical and tactical skill expression as well as a variety of play styles being viable.

Both games had some flaws. CoD1 had some visual glitches with left-leaning and vertical axis that allowed for some problematic glitching to occur. Call of Duty 2 had a LoDBias bug that didn't correctly show foliage at a distance, making it unviable to play the map Brecourt competitively properly and also more imbalance in terms of viable weapons.

Weapon balance in Call of Duty 1 was probably the best, pretty much every gun was competitively viable - some more than others. In CoD2 there were certain guns that were just inviable for competitive - such as the M1A1 carbine (and CoD2 only Gewehr 43), which was not a popular gun in CoD1, but terrible in CoD2. The Bren in CoD1 was one of the best guns in the game, but absolutely terrible in CoD2 (same with the BAR), doing way less damage per shot than in the first game.

For instance, in CoD1 (similar to say Counter-Strike) every hit counts in that game, even a low damage tag from a stray automatic weapon spam from across the map can mean you are absolutely dead from the next proper hit, or not. It probably made the 5v5 S&D competitive mode more defensively-biased. The most supreme form of skill in the game was probably aiming with the non-telescopic bolt action rifles - the Kar98k, Lee Enfield and the Mosin Nagant. Machine gun fire (StG44, BAR and Bren) was often tap shoot for accuracy due to the high recoil. There are videos with one player with left alive with "one bit of bar" health (as health was not numbered) left performing 1vs5+defuse clutches without being hit. Probably from earlier in the online scene when people were less skilled (and internet was worse, haha). The Thompson SMG was also nerfed from 30 rounds to 20 per clip in Call of Duty 2. It was by far the most popular gun in the game, I would say. Definitely the easiest to use.

Call of Duty 2 introduced hit point regeneration and changed several game mechanics. In Call of Duty 1, when you jumped, you were unable to use your ironsight. It made jump shots not really much of a thing except at close range with automatic weapons, or in some cases close range 'shotgun' like shots with a bolt action rifle. Call of Duty 2 changed this and allowed ironsight to function while jumping. This really changed how the game was played. It made the game much more unrealistic, but also the change was very FUN. Now the most extreme example of skill was probably jumping off a roof, and getting a fully zoomed sniper rifle headshot in mid air (or, fully unzoomed, hahaha). Everyone is probably familiar with how ridiculous this became in the more modern modern warfare titles, so much so that it became a bit of a meme. One has to remember that was in an age of console Call of Duty with aim-assist, anti-lag network code and often in large public servers with dozens of players in the server. Performing the same shot in a 5v5 high level competitive search and destroy game on PC in the 2000s completely different.

Call of Duty 2 also had a shotgun, and Sniper Rifles also stayed zoomed after you shot, rather than unscoping while you cock the next bullet, like in CoD1. This made sniper rifles more powerful than in the previous game. There was also the introduction of smoke grenades ( a lay over from CoD1: UO). Competitive PAM S&D mode restricted teams to one sniper and one shotgun, and only the shotgunner was equipped with a smoke grenade, which lasted quite a while - can't remember for sure, maybe 30s - 45s in game time. The M1 garand was also a bit imbalanced, more powerful than it was in CoD1 - often a two shot kill gun. I think because of the existence of hit regeneration, a reduction in damage would have made the gun useless like the other lower damage guns (M1A1 Carbine, Bren, BAR, to some degree MP40). Shotgunning was an interesting skill - probably the hardest gun to be good at, despite it taking the lest 'aim' skill. It was a spread damage gun that fired several bullets at the same time at random points inside the crosshair. Due to how Call of Duty works (bullets are random inside the unscoped crosshair) sometimes you would have your sight on someone, and it would one shot them, other times, it would require two. It was easy enough to sit watching a doorway and shoot people coming through, but it took a lot of skill to be able to charge down an open street and get multiple kills without getting taken down.

A lot of the frag movies that existed were created before youtube, and back then casts of games were done audio only with a replay file provided for those that wanted to watch the shoutcaster's POV along with the cast. I do have one uploaded to my youtube. They don't even really give much of an example of the skill of the game other than the shooting part.

I only had the privilege of playing with BeasT a few times in Call of Duty 4 tournaments - twice at a LAN, and once in the State of Origin. BeasT was not as good at Call of Duty 4 as he was at Call of Duty 2, but even still, he was a top player. At every interstate LAN he attended, he would go out clubbing with the boyz, get absolutely smashed, rock up looking like shit, all red-eyed, probably still half-wasted and still perform at the LAN event. At the local ones, he usually dominated.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Tribes II was also another game with really good FPS combat. It was a jet pack game. Most of the guns have projectile time - like rockets or plasma discs, so you had to lead pretty much all of your shots (think similar to how rocket launchers usually work in other games). That plus the movement style made for quite fun combat. Unfortunately at the time the game was popular, my computer was not fast enough to run it. I think I was given a friend's hand-me-down GeForce graphics card around the time when it was barely played at LANs anymore.

Here's a video demonstrating the shooting mechanics

3 others

Scholar
I think NEO Scavenger has the best combat tbh. Generally your #1 priority in combat is to avoid getting hurt. Exchanging blows in a knife fight is costly even if you win. Letting an enemy retreat instead of attempting to pursue him is a perfectly sensible choice. A firearm is a terrible sight, and getting hit by one requires a lot of medical attention to deal with blood loss and infection even if you survive the encounter. If you do get in a scrap, there are quite a bit of options to choose from between DIY bows and spears to grappling on the ground.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Where's Syndicate? Where's Crusader: No Remorse?

Actually, they might be on there. That list is fucking YUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'll add Apeiron's games:
-Brigade E5
-762 High Calibre and Hard Life
-Marauder Man of Prey

No HP sponges, one bad move can end the game. Most fights takes places in the jungle and you better learn how to fight there against bigger squads - often with vests and better guns.
Even if you don't die being incapacitated means you can reload the game. With exception of Marauder you can try throwing smokes or hide in the bushes (jungle warfare is bread and butter there) to save yourself. Not so much in the ruins of concrete jungle...
Cleaning rooms in Marauder (and main quest lines in previous games) is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom