Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with stupidly long-range sniping?

circ

Arcane
I was thinking oh, a few days ago about how sniping seems to have become more and more a close quarters thing, to the point where soon you'll be consistently sniping in melee range, which you probably already do in some games.

I may be wrong because well, my memory is shot, but, I seem to remember being able to snipe in Jagged Alliance 2 from - if not across the edges of the map, atleast midway provided the rifle had range and I had a spotter with eyes on the target. Meanwhile in some other games released after JA2, sniping is an art conducted from ranges 2-50 meters. Which in reality would get you laughed at.

So, is sniping dead or have I missed a bunch of games staying true to range? Genre doesn't matter, choice of weapon doesn't matter - bow is fine. Just curious.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had maps large enough for some pretty long range sniping (and it kept track of how far the shot was). I don't know how they calculated the hits, but you had to shoot over the target's head and wait a few seconds for the kill at times.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fallout 1 & 2 had this wonderful problem of some weapons having a range longer than the screen would scroll, which meant that they could never live up to their full potential.

I actually haven't played many games recently involving sniping, but this thread reminded me of snipers in TF2 and how their weaponry has consistenly been evolving towards more close-quarters combat. The most recent sniper rifle for the Sniper in TF2, for example, has very little use at long ranges and seems designed to allow for easy headshots at medium-to-short range.

Which reminds me of the longest sniper headshot I've ever pulled in TF2. There's a map called Bedrooms3 which has a map involving 2 houses facing each other on a street, on a scale that makes the whole thing seem like a deathmatch version of Toy Story or Small Soldiers. I used to play this map on a server with a plugin that gave extra information for kills (including range) and I managed a roughly 800-foot headshot from the rearmost point of the map towards its center. That's further than most TF2 maps are in length.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Delta Force (Land Warrior)?
Speaking about JA - I remember Back in Action was ridicilous with enemies' range, including infamous pistols. I remember taking some city, put Raven (JA2 sniper) on the one corner while enemies from another part of the map were taking (sucessful!) hits on her.
That was ridicilous.

What about first Sniper Elite (before it went console retardation with SE 2&3), taking 1000m+ shots with all options (wind, hearbeat, gravity etc.) was p. neat.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
You forgot slug ammo for shotguns, this one were even better than snipers because all class could use them and gravity didn't affected them.

Fallout Tactics was servicable (good thing you could scroll through the whole map).
Oh and the fantastic Browning machine guns in mutant missions that (thanks to borked calculation) get best accuracy with bursts on all distances.

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I will second both Arma and Q3A. Although, I was never much of a sniper/camper. Those two leap to my mind. I can barely remember Delta Force voxels but it had large areas. Not sure how well the sniping worked.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Delta Force (Land Warrior)?
Speaking about JA - I remember Back in Action was ridicilous with enemies' range, including infamous pistols. I remember taking some city, put Raven (JA2 sniper) on the one corner while enemies from another part of the map were taking (sucessful!) hits on her.
That was ridicilous.

What about first Sniper Elite (before it went console retardation with SE 2&3), taking 1000m+ shots with all options (wind, hearbeat, gravity etc.) was p. neat.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
You forgot slug ammo for shotguns, this one were even better than snipers because all class could use them and gravity didn't affected them.

Fallout Tactics was servicable (good thing you could scroll through the whole map).
Oh and the fantastic Browning machine guns in mutant missions that (thanks to borked calculation) get best accuracy with bursts on all distances.
I don't remember using shotguns very much. I remember sniping on Heavy Metal and 1-shotting people with smoke grenades.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS HITMAN SERIES HAD SIME FUN SNIPING THE SNIPER RIFLE WASNT SOMETHING YOU COULD POP OFF QUICK AND THE SHOTS YOU TOOK WERENT POSSIBLE WITH NORMAL GUNS

BROS HAVE TO ADMIT FIRAY GAME I LOVED A SNIPER RIFLE WAS N64 GOLDENEYE NOT MANY GAMES HAD LOCATIONAL FAMAGR THEN SHOOTING THEN IN THE BALLS WAS FUN

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Fallout 1 & 2 had this wonderful problem of some weapons having a range longer than the screen would scroll, which meant that they could never live up to their full potential.
At first I felt disappointed but then I imagined having to do a gunfight in The Den and having to wait for every single neutral NPC on the entire map to collectively finish shuffling around every turn and I almost had a stroke.

rezaf

Cipher
In action games, I recall MDK had pretty neat sniping you made frequent use of.
When it comes to strategy games, I have a hard time letting games that require you to have a spotter count - is this indirecty artillery or a sniper rifle?
The best implementation in recent memory for me is in the Men of War series. Especially in manual control mode, you can pull off some pretty spectacular snipes in these games.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Red Orchestra 2 had some decent sniping maps. Stare at pixels for ages untill you memorise them all. Then spot one that looks out of place. Fire at it. Voila, 2000 meter kill. Gets old fast but it was fun to do for awhile.

Battlefield 3 also has plenty of massive maps. Usually there are a few prime spots though and soon everybody knows these. So expect to find whole swathes of snipers around you and an opposing force that occassionally comes along to bomb/drive over/shell or shank you all to death.

Thing with all that sniping is that often matches turn into staring contests with everyone picking a spot and sitting there looking through a scope. Lame.

Modron

Arcane
At first I felt disappointed but then I imagined having to do a gunfight in The Den and having to wait for every single neutral NPC on the entire map to collectively finish shuffling around every turn and I almost had a stroke.

Now that you mention super long turns, the Silent Storm series had maps with decent range in them at times such that you could do that whole scout spots, rifleman/snipers use all ap on a single shot to snipe enemies far outside their visual range.

Severian Silk

Gun ranges were not realistic in JA2. And I don't remember any 1000m maps in Silent Storm. Both are fun games and "feel" right, however.

Raapys

Arcane
Are there any real sniper maps? Where you actually do range and wind checks and whatnot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom