Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Games you have beaten in 2022

Wunderbar

Arcane
The Outer Worlds 2 - 4/5 replayed the game mainly for the DLCs I haven't played before. It's actually a good shooter with some RPG mechanics.
badler your game has leaked.

Gastrick

Cipher
Beat these games in the last year:
  • Dark Souls - :5/5:
  • Wizardry IV -
    fullsljw3.gif
    fullsljw3.gif
    fullsljw3.gif
    halfrmkhh.gif
    emptyr1kd3.gif
  • Super Robot Wars 1 -
    fullsljw3.gif
    fullsljw3.gif
    halfrmkhh.gif
    emptyr1kd3.gif
    emptyr1kd3.gif
  • Dragon Quest I - :2/5:
  • Dragon Quest IX (all draconian options) - :4.5/5:

saeci

Arcane
Rance Quest Magnum :4/5: - Gameplay wise not as good as 7 and 6, story wise is also lacking compared to 1 and 6. Overall still decent and I dont have any regrets finishing it. Hopefully 3 gets translated in 2023, cause I have no intention touching the garbage rest of you fags are playing.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Amid Evil
ANNO: Mutationem
Black Mesa
Bright Memory: Infinite
Cayne
Cultic
Cuphead
Cyberpunk 2077
Days Gone
Dead Man's Hand
Dead or Alive 5 - Last Round
Dead Space 1,2,3
Deus Ex: The Fall
Earthworm Jim (Sega CD version)
Final Vendetta
Fobia St. Dinfna Hotel
Halo: Reach
Hedon
Hellbound
Just Cause 3
Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements
Nightmare Creatures
Ninja Gaiden Sigma trilogy
Observation
Postal Redux
Prince of Persia (Snes version)
Prodeus
Project Warlock
Quest For Glory
Read Dead Redemption II
Resident Evil Village
River City Girls
Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem
Shadow Warrior - Dos, reboot, II, III
System Shock II
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
Terminator (Sega CD version)
The Excavation of Hob's Barrow
The Final Station
XIII
Witchaven
Witcher 1,2,3

Replays:

Alan Wake
Blood
Crusader: No Remorse
Crusader: No Regret
F.E.A.R + expansions
Legend of Grimrock (+ many custom campaigns)
Leisure Suit Larry 6 - Shape Up Or Slip Out
Max Payne I, II
No One Lives Forever II
Serious Sam I,II,III
Sin
Soldier of Fortune
Syndicate + American Revolt data disk
Terminator: Resitance + Annihilation Line DLC
Doom, Heretic, Hexen wads - mixed old campaigns with some new ones as well.

i play mostly older/classic :martini: games.
in chronological order:
Silent Hill :3.5/5: - the only silent hill out of the first three where gameplay felt like it 'mattered' (for lack of a better word), thus the most tense
Silent Hill 2 :4.5/5: - highly conceptual with all the bricks falling in place. loved it for what it is
Silent Hill 2: Born From A Wish :2/5: - meh
Avernum: Escape from the Pit :4/5: - was great, expected less
Silent Hill 3 :3/5: - was disappointed. some segments felt very tedious and unnecessary. gameplay certainly ain't the series strength
Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga (replay) :4.5/5: - my first proper rpg so i'm biased. love this game, feels so much more like an adventure than it's sequel
Return to Castle Wolfenstein :4.5/5: - great FPS. went in with no expectations and ended up liking it very much
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 :3/5: - brain-dead pew-pew, ok overall
Northern Journey :4/5: - truly felt like a journey with a great sense of mystery. respects to the lone guy that made it
No one lives under the lighthouse :3/5: - a bit too pretentious but ok
Portal :4/5: - great puzzle-game. having played the sequel later i can say that the game works best in a short format
Half-Life: Opposing Force :3.5/5: - good
Iron Lung :3/5: - interesting idea
Half-Life: Blue Shift :3/5: - quite bland. read that the source engine remake is out, maybe it betters the experience
Quake :4.5/5: - still one of the best
Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.2 :3.5/5: - janky but enjoyable, liked the design
Resident Evil 4 :4/5: - great amusement park. you can tell how much effort went into designing the 'fun' side of the experience
Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways :3.5/5: - more of the same
Blade of Darkness :3.5/5: - dabbled with it when it came out and finally played it from beginning to end 20 years later. the enemy chopping and visual style still hold up, alas the game oustays it's welcome
Soldier of Fortune :3.5/5: - could be better
Red Faction :2.5/5: - another childhood game that i finally got to play to the end. had a potentially good concept that was wasted, overall a big disappointment
Unreal :4.5/5: - loved it
Shadow Warrior :4/5: - build engine classic
American McGee's Alice :4/5: - loved the style
System Shock 2 :4/5: - great atmosphere, gameplay-wise the first one was better
Duke Nukem 3D :4.5/5: - build engine classic
Blood: Fresh Supply :5/5: - one of the best games ever
Rune Classic :4/5: - the game conveys the feeling of being on an adventure very well, that alone makes the experience worthwhile
Black Mirror :3.5/5: - liked the cosy visual style
Cryptic Passage (Blood add-on) :4/5: - nothing special but the gunplay went nowhere
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords :4/5: - better than the first game
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay :3.5/5: - vaseline: the game. not bad, obviously not a fan of the visuals
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven :4.5/5: took me like a year and a half of playing on and off to finish (mostly because it was hard getting you bearings after a significant break). excellent RPG jam-packed with quality content
Fallout 2 :4/5: - a little bit too much tongue-in-cheek stuff for my taste but still great
Condemned: Criminal Origins :3.5/5: - janky but pretty enjoyable. except the final boss, final boss was shit
Dead Space :4/5: - was good despite being formulaic
Dead Space :3/5: - it's like mass effect 2 to mass effect 1. production qualities went up and with them the amount of 'dumb-downedness'
Cold Fear :2.5/5: - meh
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic :4/5: - FUN!
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl :4.5/5: - all atmosphere
Half-Life 2: Episode One :3/5: - it's HL2 so the gunplay is bland, besides that quite a meh experience. don't even remember what the game was about. it also includes a segment in the citadel - the worst part of HL2
Half-Life 2: Episode Two :4/5: - much more enjoyable than HL2: episode one
Signalis :3/5: - ok game. gets repetitive towards the end. story is pretentious and has gay stuff, not that i cared much about it
Portal 2 :3.5/5: - the puzzle thingy still works great on a conceptual level but got too tiresome over time. maybe shouldn't have finished the game in almost one sitting and instead chopped the playthrough into smaller portions

My completion rate this year got really kicked in on thanks to multiple games having game breaking glitches, some of which people haven't even seen before. I distinctly remember trying to play through Sleeping Gods Lie and Ultima Underworld and both had some special item that just failed to materialize, on top of already annoying glitches.

Day of the Viper :3.5/5: Dungeon Master-style FPS. Sort of simple, but has decent enough level design.
Deathtrack :2.5/5: Weird early racer/car combat game. It has this weird control scheme where you're basically moving around on a rail.
Doctor Hauzer :3/5: Take Alone in the Dark, add a weird Japanese take on religion, remove combat, and add a whole bunch of deathtraps.
Ecstatica :4/5: A weird-looking survival horror game from before Resident Evil. Focused on melee combat, and has some interesting puzzles. Does the inescapable enemy jazz better than any other game I've seen.
Galactic Empire :4/5: An ugly, horribly controlling game with one of the most interesting content, NPC dialog and game world I've seen.
Ironseed 25th Anniversary Edition :4/5: Space RPG where you have to find a new home planet for humanity and eventually save the galaxy from a dangerous threat. Very moody, but I'm not sure the remaster is any better than the original.
Nightmare of Decay :3.5/5: Blood meets Resident Evil with awkward controls.
Pathways into Darkness :5/5: Budgie's first FPS, the best non-Doom FPS at the time.
Personal Nightmare :4.5/5: Hard as nails adventure game, the first proper graphic adventure from the people who would bring you Elvira and Simon the Sorcerer.
Star Cruiser :3.5/5: A Japanese FPS/RPG hybrid from the '80s. I'm still not really sure what the game was trying to accomplish.

Okay let's check the torrents:
Condemned 2: One of the most realistic depictions of an evil conspiracy since their main goal is to flood the city with violent homeless people. Kinda shit/10
FAITH part 1: Kinda boring, part 3 is the one where the game gets some actual charm but I watched it on youtube after being disappointed with part 1. ✞ ✞ / ✞ ✞ ✞ ✞ ✞
Incision Episode 1: Okay boomy shooty but kinda bland, maybe later episodes will improve it like how DUSK did. Meatballs/Meat Stew
SIGNALIS: Basically the undertale of indie horror but without decent gameplay. Even as a yurifag I can't support this/10
Saints Row: A transcendental experience in what horror a cat lady is capable of enacting. Also they made sure none of the clothes allow for cleavage. Terror/10 Watch the last few mission on youtube.
Glitchpunk: A reminder of why GTA moved away from the top down perspective. Vaporwave/10
Silent Hill 3: I replayed it on hard but stopped at the final boss because it requires you to use the strafing mechanic and then forgot to download the thing that fixes it. General Public's Opinion/10
Elden Ring: Pretty impressive for a stand alone version of those Dark Souls skyrim mods/10
Hylics: Really shitty lolsorandom rpgmaker game I got tricked into playing. narwhal bacon/10
Watchdogs: Legion I saw they put cute girls into the DLC and that turned out to be true. Abysmal if you're not a weird girls with guns fetishist/10
Death Stranding: 2deep4u Subnautica/10
Foundry VTT: Having so many options for special features and customization is making my autism go into overdrive. I don't think I'll ever "finish" it. Ruining my life/10

Yeah I should probably finish something that doesn't suck this year.
Jesus wept where do you people find the time for all these games.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
White Day: A Labyrinth Named School, Tormented Souls, The Sinking City, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Control, Elden Ring, Amnesia: Rebirth, Remothered: Tormented Fathers.

Last edited:

Uncreation

Savant
I meant to post in this thread a year ago but forgot. Well, better late than never i guess. :lol:

KOTOR 2 :5/5::4/5:
I know this game is supposed to be unfinished but despite that overall i liked it more than the first one. Kreia is one of the best characters i have ever seen in a video game, she almost makes the game worth playing by herself.

Might and Magic 8 :5/5::2/5:
I started playing this a few times before but never finished it so i thought i should at least once. Not a bad game but kinda meh and it got boring for me at one point which is why i never finished it before. I will say that it was pretty relaxing. You certainly don't play this if you are looking for challenging combat, but for me it was pretty fun to explore the world once.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun :5/5::3/5:
I know this came before Desperados 3, but i played that first and knew they were made by the same dev so i knew what to expect. I like this genre (real time tactics, squad based tactical game, commandos-like) but it's fairly niche so there aren't a lot of games like this. The only thing i didn't like was that i would have liked more enemy variety. You basically have only 3 types of enemies, and they didn't change this in Desperados 3 which is a shame. Overall very enjoyable. I even liked the story though it's nothing unusual.

Baldur's Gate 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast :5/5::4/5:
First of all, this was the original, not EE. I played 2 many times, but never got to finish this, so, like with MM8 i decided i should finally get around to it. Aside from the fact that this is a low level campaign, there are a few differences from 2. The biggest one i would say is the fact that this feels more open world where 2 is more railroaded. I mean, you can do the quests in acts 2 and 3 of BG2 in mostly any order and you can even leave them for after comming back from the Underdark, but that is about it. But the world of BG1 also feels a bit more empty. There are a lot of areas outside of Baldur's Gate, but quite a few don't have much. On the other hand, i understand that filling all areas with random trash mobs wouldn't have added anything of value. And stuffing all areas full of quests and events, even maps that are just forests and bits of the countryside would of felt like the world is just one big amusement park made especially for you. So i guess this is the best option even if there are maps which are just one quest or building and a group of gnolls.
I liked Irenicus more as a villain than Sarevok, but not by much. This surprised me as i really liked Irenicus and wasn't expecting this. Maybe if i had played BG1 first i would have prefered Sarevok. There are more companions than in 2 and i think they banter and interact more with eachother, or maybe that was just my impression, but i think i like the ones in 2 more. Again, it might be because i played 2 first. The pathfinding seems even worse than in 2. I think i like the music a bit more than the one in BG2, since some tracks reminded me of Conan the Barbarian. Both are very good though and just inspire a feeling of high adventure, of a classical sword and sorcery world when i listen to them. I'm glad i finally got to play this to the end. :-D

Inscryption :5/5::2/5:
I like card games and this one was pretty interesting. It also has some adventure elements and puzzles but those are pretty basic, so i consider this more of a card game than an adventure game. Not very complex but i think the devs knew this so it's pretty short which means it never got boring for me. Short and sweet overall.

Bioshock 1 :5/5::3/5:
I know people like to shit talk this game but i still liked it. Yeah it's a watered down System Shock 2 but even a watered down System Shock 2 is still good. And i liked the world building and the atmosphere in Rapture. It's a bit cartoony especially if you try to take the philosophy and social commentary seriously but it wasn't grating for me.

Superhot :5/5::2/5:
Pretty interesting but i don't know if i could say innovative. At the end of the day all the game has is the one gimmick which is the core of it's gameplay. Which is fine, since it doesn't last long enough to be boring. It feels more like a test run for something or a demo. Still, i liked it because it got me thinking about what that something could be.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'll just post what I've played during 2023 here. If there's a new thread for what 2023 games we've played I'll probably have an updated list by then.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wolfenstein - The New Order - :3/5: - Just shooting Nazi's. More good in it than bad.

Fallout 4 - :3/5: - It was alright. Just went around shooting stuff with a build heavily invested in Luck from the beginning. Didn't really bother with the Settlement shit or any of the other crap.

Mechanicus - :3/5: - Too easy. The aesthetic and sound design are what carry the game. It's good by Warhammer game standards, but I can see this being a mobile game too. Not a bad game for the average consumer or a fan of Warhammer, but not really that good either.

Darksiders I - :3.5/5: - Enjoyed it a lot. Very short and straight to the point - having fun. Reminded me a lot of early console gaming.

Kingmaker - :3.5/5: - What a fucking bitch of a game. I'll probably give her another spin sooner or later.

Wrath - :4/5: - A step up from Kingmaker for sure. If I didn't roll a Cavalier riding a Wolf I'd have probably given this a 5/5. But I simply cannot do that when half the time the wolf I was riding was gliding on the floor and not stepping on it. I absolutely loved how they did the Abyss.

Pillars of Eternity - :5/5: - Loved it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I played a lot of DotA this year. Took me a lot of time to figure out that shit is just not worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom