Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 2 - Infestation Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Geneforge 2 - Infestation; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

https://bottomfeeder.substack.com/p/we-released-geneforge-2-infestation

When We Remaster, We Really Remaster

We spend 18 months on each remaster, and we redo everything. Every location, encounter, and line of dialogue gets revised and polished. This takes a while.

There is also a ton of new material. Several new zones. Lots of new characters and quest lines. We added a whole new ability tree, Weapon Shaping abilities that augment your blade and missile attacks, that is entirely new to the series. Thus, if you were a Geneforge 2 fan, there's a whole new way to play through it.

We put in a lot of new content based on the feedback of Kickstarter backers. You will find that a lot of the emptier cracks in the game have been filled with lore and tangential stuff to do. This makes the world seem a lot more fleshed out. A lot more real. Again, I’m really happy with the result.

We put a ton of work into this game, atoning for the flaws of 20 years ago.

The Old Economics Of Our Business

We've been in business for 30 years now. We predated the indie game boom by a long time. Heck, we even predate the consumer internet and world wide web.

In the old days, to make the economics of the business work, we had to write games fast. Each all-new, full-length title got 18 months. This meant that sometimes corners were cut. Geneforge 2 was a beloved game, but it was full of threadbare dialogue and cut corners. The structure is there, but the bones were too bare.

(Other games suffered more. Before long, we will remaster Avernum 4, and that one will need and get a LOT of work.)

We have now spent 3 years total on Geneforge 2. We've come to find that this is about the right amount of time for us to put in one of our RPGs to get them about as good as we can get them (tiny company that we are).

This is the final Geneforge 2. I won’t live long enough to get around to remastering it again. And, as always, I have regrets. As I went to sleep last night, I thought about things I could have done. Motivations and dialogue I could have refined. This or that little tweak. But there comes a point where you have to say, “Enough.” I must force myself to be content.

Looking To the Future

I am probably about 12 years from looking at retirement. In that time, we have six old games that are really cool but need a full remaster treatment to bring them into the present. We also have several other games that need a quick polish treatment (like art and rebalancing) to send them into posterity.

And we have ambitions to make new stuff too.

That said, I’m sort of transitioning into the Billy Joel phase of the career. My best, most creative period is behind me, but there is still a lot that should be done. I've written 18 all-new games. Eighteen! This has already been a hugely prolific career. Now I need to wrap everything up, tie up the loose ends, and take a bow with as many people satisfied as possible.

In a few months, I'll let our fans know what the next two years of Spiderweb will look like. We have some exciting plans!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2480560/Geneforge_2__Infestation
https://af.gog.com/en/game/geneforge_2_infestation?as=1649904300

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Such a shame I can't play it right now. Geneforge has always been a favorite.
why you cant play it?
BUSY! Real busy! This thing needs a proper sit down. I still remember that one night a week before Christmas, I had nothing to do, so after an hour of making the original Geneforge 1 work on a semi-modern PC I just played it and played it and hours passed as I explored and got intrigued, and also mad at the inventory... and happy at my newfound ability to make monkey men! Mutagen took days from my life as well, and I'm sure this one is also worth a few immersive all-nighters. Gotta give games like this proper attitude!

Zeriel

Arcane
Just so gosh darned OLD. You whipper snappers wouldn't understand...

Meanwhile, I look around myself and see 60 year olds doing hard labor 10 hours a day for their job. Goddamn, Vogel really turned into a jackass.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Played G1/G2 and G3 still din't finished G4/5 and can say that I loved G2 story and factions the most. I will gonna buy this game soon. We really need more franchises like Geneforge and less generic franchises.

Modron

Arcane

Meanwhile, I look around myself and see 60 year olds doing hard labor 10 hours a day for their job. Goddamn, Vogel really turned into a jackass.
Vogel has been doing this oh woe is me I am so old routine for nearly three decades. Why is it getting to you now that he is at the age where he should be thinking about how to secure a decent retirement?

Zeriel

Arcane

Vogel has been doing this oh woe is me I am so old routine for nearly three decades. Why is it getting to you now that he is at the age where he should be thinking about how to secure a decent retirement?

Fair point, I guess I am the patient sort and it takes me a while to really come to loathe a whiny bitch.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Downloaded from torrents.
The game is not suitable for a 4k screen. It's all microscopic.

"Remaster". Doesn't work on modern hardware.

I would've appreciated if it rendered at 800*600, did integer upscale and applied a CRT shader. Is this so much to ask? Instead, I'll have to fuck around with it myself. Not paying for a 20 year old game with a money grab remaster that offers no QoL.

grimace

Arcane
Downloaded from torrents.
The game is not suitable for a 4k screen. It's all microscopic.

"Remaster". Doesn't work on modern hardware.

I would've appreciated if it rendered at 800*600, did integer upscale and applied a CRT shader. Is this so much to ask? Instead, I'll have to fuck around with it myself. Not paying for a 20 year old game with a money grab remaster that offers no QoL.

Do the QoL Modernization and sell it back to Vogel.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Downloaded and played the hell out of the demo of this and thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently my save game progress will continue into the full release.

Great game. It plays fantastically on modern machines, btw.

^I couldn't make someone who looks like Vogel.

OIG3.IRqqMBjOvy8Yv2EMfdfo

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I was a backer for this. I've put a couple hours into it so far, and as expected it runs flawlessly like you'd expect a Vogel game should. I'm much more appreciative of the Geneforge/Avernum styling opposed to Queer's Wish.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
33mins of living hell listening to MortismalGaming just for him to tell you what you would figure out within 5 minutes of playing the game.

Tldw; Geneforge 2 good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom