Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Get your Dungeon Siege III Demo

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Vibe is a totally subjective matter, so deal with it.

And you're a Witcher fanboy iirc, so what do you know. :smug:

made

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Mate, I'm not judging you, just curious. What aspects give off an IWD vibe, do tell?

Oh, and Witcher IS God. :smug:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
That the sum of the elements produces a certain cohesive, fitting and enjoyable atmosphere.

PS: Also running smooth on my dated machine with medium-high settings. Going to buy, if alone for the support of one of the only devevelopers left which have been creating games with a "soul".

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
First Templar is same as coperative H&S and better as setting goes, historic fiction about Templars, Inquisition and crusades>better than bland fantazy world No9999. I played only demo is full version any better as story goes? C&C, forks, choice of factions?

Regdar

Arcane
Commissar Draco said:
C&C, forks, choice of factions?

There's a fork in the road :M

14e3u2w.png

Shannow

Waster of Time
made said:
Crooked Bee said:
game gives off an IWD vibe
eh?
The intro (not cut) scene uses similar mechanics as IWD(2), far less/much worse style, but similar mechanics (moving drawings. Daggerdale also uses it.). Don't see what else should give an IWD vibe. Perhaps the bee gets flower-vibes from turds, too?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Shannow said:
J_C said:
Shannow said:
So I've just demoed the full version without steam for 5 minutes:
Shit.
For 5 minutes? Wow, than your opinion is totally credible. :smug:
Yep. It is "credible". (Whatever that is supposed to mean. Probably have to be a moron to understand it.)

No, it's not fucking credible. I played the demo (about an hour - not 5 fucking mins) and still came to the same conclusion - it's shit.

A few hours and levels into the TPB full version and I've changed my mind. Game is a fun aRPG. Plays much, MUCH nicer with controller and auto-align camera turned off. Leveling up and gaining abilities definitely helped and I think the ranged chick might be more fun than the melee dude I played the demo with as well.

I'm doing the gunslinger chick () which means there's much rolling around to be had, mainly backwards, and that does tend to launch you into obstacles often, or the camera suddenly goes berserk and you have to shoop blindly in the direction of your attackers.

Put points into the first defensive ability that gives you health as you do damage and increases your armor. Also the talent (or whatever it's called) that increases the amount of health you receive (from anything) by 4% for each point spent. Once activated, you can stand toe-to-toe with groups of enemies and spam your pistols/shotguns killing while healing - no more rolling around.

This game's better than any recent similar games I can recall - Torchlight etc... and way better than that Daggerdale POS someone mentioned. It's probably even better than the first two games (not that that's much of an endorsement). Of course, if you don't like this kind of game, you're not going to like it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
AlaCarcuss said:
A few hours and levels into the TPB full version and I've changed my mind. Game is a fun aRPG. Plays much, MUCH nicer with controller and auto-align camera turned off. Leveling up and gaining abilities definitely helped and I think the ranged chick might be more fun than the melee dude I played the demo with as well.
Ah, while I was of a mind to let this "discussion" die, one last comment (at least from me, since I'm sure you'll feel the need to answer)... I started off with the camera auto-align turned off. I also don't remember bitching primarily about the camera :roll:
If I want to play a shitty console slasher with a controller, I'll buy a shitty console. No custom mapping means this is the worst "AAA" console port I've tried yet. As to the rest:
Shannow said:
I'm sure the atrocious interface and controls magically become awesome if you play more than 5 minutes. And the story that starts off with you running into a burning building, down corridors cutting through 10 pussy assassins that killed 40 heavily armed "heroes", will definitely develop into the most intelligent epic ever told in an open exploration world. The camera has 4 diffent options, you just need to fiddle a bit with those and you'll suddenly have free mouse-look with working wasd controls. After that you can map all your skills to your 5 button mouse. If you go with the times (which means sucking up shitty, badly ported console slashers) you'll like DS3 so much you'll want to play it 7 times. Just imagine how much fun you'll have smashing barrels and picking up loot.
You can disagree with and/or not give a fuck about my opinion, but calling it "not credible" makes you just as retarded as J_C. But considering your "tastes" that wouldn't surprize me :M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shannow's pulling a skyway, I see.

made said:
Crooked Bee said:
Mate, I'm not judging you, just curious. What aspects give off an IWD vibe, do tell?

Aspects? You kiddin'? Maybe you want an "objective" argument, too, or some other bullshit like that? Screw you. Naturally I don't mean the mechanics are similar, or the intro scene, or whatever one's tiny literalist mind could read into my vibe comment. It's just that the exploration/crawling feeling (atmosphere, ambient, whatever) in this game is, to me (sic!), similar to that in IWD -- which, to me again, puts DS3 above and far closer to being a "good game" than other recent hack n slashes like Torchlight, First Templar, Daggerdale, etc.; they can't even begin to compare. DKS is probably the only recent game DS3 can be kind of compared to. Overall, DS3 certainly isn't "a great RPG" or "a real RPG" or whatever, but it's an enjoyable linear dungeon crawling hack n slash, with good atmosphere, a little C&C, decent writing and a somewhat bland yet well-put-together setting.

made said:
Oh, and Witcher IS God. :smug:

Yeah, sure, a mildly enjoyable yet mediocre action adventure is "God" of RPGs. :smug:

Radisshu

Prophet
Yes, I'm sure DS3 can't compare with the greatest RPGs ever - the Witcher and IWD. :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
IWD is a like a gaming perfection compared to a crappy console slasher that is DS3.

But the exploration bit is extremely lulzy. Do I explore 1 meter to the left or do I explore 1 meter to the right

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
I was very happy with the gameplay and mechanics in the demo. And unlike some retards around here, I had no problems with keyboard+mouse controls.

So, what about story and writing? Does it get better beyond the demo?

It gets Ziets like after a while (Including ancient fallen gods and tree spirits named "The Youthful One"). Also binds in a shitload of actually pretty interesting lore. So yes, gets deeper.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Commissar Draco said:
First Templar is same as coperative H&S and better as setting goes, historic fiction about Templars, Inquisition and crusades>better than bland fantazy world No9999.
A game developed by 20 Bulgarians has good controls & camera + better graphics and voice-over than DS3. Should anyone be surprised?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Shannow said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Ah, while I was of a mind to let this "discussion" die, one last comment (at least from me, since I'm sure you'll feel the need to answer)... I started off with the camera auto-align turned off. I also don't remember bitching primarily about the camera :roll:
If I want to play a shitty console slasher with a controller, I'll buy a shitty console. No custom mapping means this is the worst "AAA" console port I've tried yet. As to the rest:
Shannow said:
I'm sure the atrocious interface and controls magically become awesome if you play more than 5 minutes. And the story that starts off with you running into a burning building, down corridors cutting through 10 pussy assassins that killed 40 heavily armed "heroes", will definitely develop into the most intelligent epic ever told in an open exploration world. The camera has 4 diffent options, you just need to fiddle a bit with those and you'll suddenly have free mouse-look with working wasd controls. After that you can map all your skills to your 5 button mouse. If you go with the times (which means sucking up shitty, badly ported console slashers) you'll like DS3 so much you'll want to play it 7 times. Just imagine how much fun you'll have smashing barrels and picking up loot.
You can disagree with and/or not give a fuck about my opinion, but calling it "not credible" makes you just as retarded as J_C. But considering your "tastes" that wouldn't surprize me :M

I know you've probably (hopefully) moved on, but the reason I said your opinion was "not credible", is because you said you played the game for 5 mins. I formed the same opinion of the game as you after a full hour. However, further into it (a few more levels... 3 hrs perhaps) and I started to enjoy it. 5 mins is not enough, hell 1hr wasn't.... therefor your opinion is not credible.

As to: "If I want to play a shitty console slasher with a controller, I'll buy a shitty console.". Well, that's your choice. I harbor no such discrimination, I just use the best tool for the job. There's nothing wrong with the interface and controls that I can see (anymore).

You also talk about the story and "epicness" and shit - FFS man it's a mindless aRPG what did you expect? As I said if you don't like this kind of game of course you're not going to like it - so why did you even try?

But considering your "tastes" that wouldn't surprize me

Thank you. Yes, I'll admit I have the fairly unique ability to adjust my standards on the fly to suit my mood. Every game doesn't have to be a contender for the holy trinity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom