Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Give it 3 years and mods will fix my 1/10 horrendous game" crowd deserves public whippings

ind33d

Educated
so if a game ships with a construction set it shouldn't affect the review score? that's preposterous

do anti-modders think dota is a conspiracy theory?
Nice non sequitur. WC3 wouldn't be a 1/10 game if you took away custom maps, and DotA wasn't an attempt to fix WC3.
i guarantee there are people who only bought wc3 to play dota

Dave the Druid

Educated
Well first we have to define, what is a mod?

I think most people will agree on a new sword for Oblivion, or stuff that fixes a game's shitty lighting filter, or removes invisible walls. Sure, these are all mods, but can an entirely new fan-made campaign for a game, with new assets and even new cutscenes, be called a mod?
Yes.
Are T2X and Archolos mods?
Also yes.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I don't think there's a single mod outside of bug fix mods, hotkey, UI and QoL mods, resolution and compatibility mods, or, very rarely, the tastefully done cosmetic mod (e.g. more voxel props with eduke32), that I actually liked.

Sometimes they have 9 good things and then a 10th thing that is so out of place and just ruins everything. Really irritating especially if it is something visual like a bad portrait, background or sprite. Less is more, modders. Less is more.

Ravielsk

Magister
Mods have never fixed Bethesda games. This idea is one of the biggest lies in gaming.
Really the only time mods "fixed" a Bethesda game was when Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul released. But that was only because Oblivion was a genuinely good game fucked by retarded level scaling and OOO fixed that. Subsequent Bethesda games however are the exact inverse, bad games with sometimes brilliant ideas.

The modding community however absolutely failed to recognize this and as a direct result every attempt to fix Skyrim is doomed from the start because they start with the wrong mindset of improving an already great game instead of fixing a broken piece of shit.

Last edited:

caffeine

Novice
Mods never turned a game I dislike into something I like nor they turned a good game into a masterpiece. People who claim otherwise might have extremely low standards. Modding is like makeup, no amount of it can turn a pig fuckable.

ind33d

Educated
would anyone playing KOTOR 2 not install the Restored Content patch? for all intents and purposes, mods are part of a game. half the time mods are just re-implementing things that the developers cut to make launch

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Mods never turned a game I dislike into something I like nor they turned a good game into a masterpiece. People who claim otherwise might have extremely low standards. Modding is like makeup, no amount of it can turn a pig fuckable.
It depends. Certain games allow modding to a very deep level, almost engine/core mechanics level, while others allow only cosmetics. Bethesda games somewhat are in the middle, leaning toward the deeper end. You can't completely overhaul game mechanics and replace them, but you can using scripts modify it heavily to change it that its pretty much new experience. For example, one of Skyrim mods change leveling from "spent time on repeating skill" leveling system, to experience based, based on kills, or visited locations, done quests. You don't have to smith 200 daggers anymore to level up your smithing. I would call this a substantial difference and intrusion into the game mechanics. There's very little games today that allow such customization, the other big game[which is old] is STALKER anomaly where a lot of mechanics were also overhauled completely.

would anyone playing KOTOR 2 not install the Restored Content patch? for all intents and purposes, mods are part of a game. half the time mods are just re-implementing things that the developers cut to make launch
But that's less of a mod as I understand it at least and more of a covering up the dev's fuckups. For the same reason you don't play Troika games unmodded.

El Presidente

Arcane
Well first we have to define, what is a mod?

I think most people will agree on a new sword for Oblivion, or stuff that fixes a game's shitty lighting filter, or removes invisible walls. Sure, these are all mods, but can an entirely new fan-made campaign for a game, with new assets and even new cutscenes, be called a mod?
Yes.
Are T2X and Archolos mods?
Also yes.
I think if we understand "mod" as short for "modification for game X" then they're not, they're new playable content entirely separated from the base game. In this case fan levels and new campaigns aren't exactly mods but something else, and that's why most communities call them just like that: fan levels/missions, new campaigns, etc. They're never referred to as mods.

But if we understand "mod" as short for "game X, modified", then yes, they're mods.

It's a subtle and rather autistic difference.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess we can differentiate between "mod" and "module".

I don't care that much about regular mods, but modules (content expansions like Tamriel Rebuilt, fan missions like those for Thief and Tomb Raider, total conversions like Enderal and Archolos, or complete content overhauls like Total War mods such as Europa Barbarorum) are my favorite thing in gaming, no contest.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
No shit game will ever be salvaged by mods, or worth your time to try it anyway.
They hated him for telling the truth. The exception to this are unofficial patches, which can turn a decent game into a great game by reducing crashes and bugs, but they shouldn't be bundled together with mods as a category. And even they can't turn a dogshit game into a masterpiece since what is good or bad about video games are ingrained into them at a design level. There has to be a good game there in the first place to shine when all the bugs are removed.

Arbiter

Scholar
... Neverwinter Nights, etc.

these games were released in good states

IIRC Neverwinter Nights was not a buggy game on release, but the bland OC can hardy be considered good. Expansions were better, especially Hordes of the Underdark.

rumSaint

Literate
I dunno about that fallout 3 was the best new franchise of the 2000's, skyrim was the best new franchise of 2010's, starfield will probably be the best new franchise of the 2020's
How the fuck Fallout 3 was new franchise?! It has a fucking 3 in name, like 3rd game?!

Skyrim was also a new franchise (5th game in series).

Baldurs Gate 3 is also a new franchise hurrdurr.

Vyadhis

Learned
I think 15-20 years ago there were more games with lots of potential that were inheritantly broken either due to small staffing or time constraints, bug messes like ToEE that have a good, fun game at their core and need love.

Nowadays with how bloated the game industry is I really don't think its an excuse anymore.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think 15-20 years ago there were more games with lots of potential that were inheritantly broken either due to small staffing or time constraints, bug messes like ToEE that have a good, fun game at their core and need love.

Nowadays with how bloated the game industry is I really don't think its an excuse anymore.
We still have games that ship inherently broken. They just have no potential. Does anyone remember Redfall? Does Arkane even remember Redfall?

SpurdoFan

Literate
Sometimes content is cut for a good reason. I don't know about this particular patch, but too often modders find deactivated content in the game files, remove the /* */ and think their job is done.

I love it when games are moddable. Even my favourite games have some aspects to them, that I dislike. A slight annoyance can turn into a major one, if you keep playing long enough, and when I think "I wish it was different" I am happy if I CAN make it different. Why accept flaws for no reason?

Let me say something about Skyrim in particular too. Enderal was great obviously, but the best thing about it was that it was ONE mod. There are thousands of Skyrim mods, which each add one tiny change, a bunch of cringe waifu follower mods among them, which I guess is great for autists, who want to finetune their game, but when a filthy casual like me looks for a simple all in one mod, he is informed that that would be extremely immoral to create because stealing from other modders is bad or something like that. :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom