Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CyberP, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    I missed this or would have voted... had a lot of fun with 8.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Thanks for all the great work. Ash
    I've been following the project for a while even before I came on this site back in v8, and you really didn't let up or disappoint with v9. :salute:
    What's next for the project, if it will even continue since it's essentially perfect by now?

^ Top  
  3. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Is there a v.10 in the works anytime soon, or should I just go ahead and play the game again with v.9?

This really looks like a substantial great mod. Can't wait to try it! Haven't played Deus Ex in like forever.
    And Human Revolution and Mankind Divided left alot to be desired.

^ Top  
  4. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Getting Paul Denton out of the hotel alive is actually a challenge now. No more hiding in the closet until Paul does everyone in with his invincibility:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Ash Arcane

Ash
    RoSoDude Is making an add-on that is basically continuing my work, fixing up some remaining bugs, addressing some things discussed during the beta which I never got around to, and adding his own (good) ideas. I'm considering making it official because I trust his design judgement for the most part and he is a :obviously: bro. e.g see: Link to post for an idea of his design sense in relation to the type of game Deus Ex is. He's not doing or intending to do a great deal from what I understand, it would be comparable to a sub-version increment e.g v9.0.2 to v9.0.3. But it'd be enough to achieve a state the perfectionist in me is happy with.

His work will need testing when the time comes, if people want in on that.

Other than that nothing is going on.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Ash, do you suggest using the music addon on moddb?

^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Yes. You lose nothing from the vanilla soundtrack, only gain new tracks. It's just an optional add-on because music taste is rather subjective, and it's music originally from another mod/TC. Very fitting and enjoyable though in my opinion, and adds nice variety.

^ Top  
  8. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Okay thanks. Would have added into the installer it as an option and added your opinion on the info together with the dev one :P

^ Top  
  9. Ash Arcane

Ash
    NSIS installer limit is 2GB. Would also not want to bloat up the size further even if there was no limit. I also would not want it to be official in that sense, since it's music from another mod, even though I have permission to use it. It's fine being an add-on on moddb.

^ Top  
  10. Anomander Rake Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Understood your reasoning. Thanks for being so kind.

^ Top  
  11. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Appreciate the encouraging words. To clarify, I'm kinda doing two projects at once -- one addon/fork which is a bit more experimental and has some changes to skills/augs and some game systems that I think are worth exploring, and a more conservative update which addresses a few bugs/exploits/quality of life issues in GMDX (and maybe a bit of balance adjustment, we'll see). The latter will, with Ash 's permission, become a 9.0.4 patch, while the former will include the whole mixed bag.

The project is in the beginning stages, as I'm still learning the codebase, but I'm making good progress and should have a beta build for testing pretty soon if it continues at the current pace.

Here's something I did a few days ago:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Sjukob Arcane

Sjukob
    I honestly can't think of what can you add to gmdx besides graphics, plot branches (stay with unatco, for example) and melee combat (something like Matrix). It's pretty much perfect.

^ Top  
  13. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    I'll be sure to shatter your expectations with my questionable bloat and general mediocrity :dealwithit:

But actually, it's mostly minor stuff. For example, this is the first thing I dipped my toe in:

For reference, the vanilla code (currently in GMDX) works like this:
    • If your original (straight) shot would have hit but the enemy is between your accurate and max range, the shot drops quadratically with extra distance
    • This means that if you would have hit the head, you might now hit the body, or the foot, or nothing at all
    • However, you can't adjust for this, because if you adjusted your aim above the head, your original shot WOULDN'T have hit, so this drop formula is never used
    Anyone else seeing why this is AIDS now? It's dropoff due to gravity that you can't adjust for, meaning you're likely to never even understand what's happening (not helped by the fact that hitscan ranges were too long for most gameplay scenarios). Linear damage falloff with a cap has a more sensible gameplay impact and is more readable as a player

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    ^ Top  
  14. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    That's hilariously broken. Couldn't have been intended.

Your change sounds good (assuming that realistic, working bullet drop isn't easy to implement). I agree that most weapons are probably already deserving of a range decrease, with this accuracy change moreso.

^ Top  
  15. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Nah, it's pretty much intended. Abridging the vanilla code a bit:

Notice that it chooses who "Other" is based on the original shot with no dropoff. So if you're aiming above someone, it'll be the wall off in the distance. I think the intention was to reduce your weapon damage (eventually to zero, if the shot drops far enough) beyond accurate range with a form of simulation rather than a gamey thing like damage falloff, but it ends up very clunky and poorly communicated (did anyone here know that Deus Ex had bullet drop before? I sure didn't).

With my changes to the damage falloff and range nerf for hitscan weapons, range modification should now be something you consider for more than just your mini-crossbow and plasma rifle.

Also, it's only hinted at in the changes I posted, but weapon max range used to affect accuracy too. The game just straight up adds a vector pointing the direction of your aim with the length of the max range to a randomized vector in a larger cone, so sniper rifles were nearly pinpoint accurate at Untrained due to their obscene max range. GMDX patched this up already to a degree, but I changed the formula so max range no longer affects accuracy at all (and as such, the reticule communicates a consistent level of accuracy for your weapons). AI retain the old formula because that's how their weapon accuracies were balanced. I don't know what's more spaghetti, my code or the vanilla code I'm trying to improve.

But what delicious, hearty spaghetti it is.

[​IMG]

EDIT: This sort of messiness in the codebase should give you a taste for what Ash had put up with in making this mod. The fact that it plays as well as it does with such a great degree of balance and polish is a testament to his design sense and perserverance. Some of this stuff has to be seen to be believed...

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Ash Arcane

Ash
    RoSo is a good man for the job. He's a physics major, does physics simulations and works with heavy math on the regular. Not only is there meaningful things he can contribute, but also some specific things that would undoubtedly be above me. That stuff aside, GMDX still isn't quite 100% perfect and Deus Ex is such a broad game so there's always something. Trust me, his work will be incline, and I'm with him discussing his implementations anyhow. Then there's the second stage of quality control which will be public testing.

My code is no better and I pity the fellow that has to work with vanilla codebase + GMDX additions :P

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Incline of the day -- I've finally nerfed the laser mod. Several of you in recent memory (Doktor Best Tygrende ) thought it was far too OP and worth cutting down to size, like I did. Well, here's my solution:

You can see how it works here. I'm Untrained in both Pistols and Rifles with no accuracy mods applied. Notice how the laser simulates recoil and compensation, and how the waver and kick decreases as your accuracy increases over time.
    https://my.mixtape.moe/mbiexi.webm

Here's a combat scenario with the laser :
    https://my.mixtape.moe/oopzmu.webm

Forgive the mediocre gameplay, I don't have my keybinds right in my testing setup for aug manipulation. I was explicitly trying to test the accuracy of the assault rifle on Untrained with the standing accuracy bonus, which is why you see me standing in place in the middle of a an EMP and Gas Grenade. Think it was on a lower difficulty just for demonstration/testing purposes.

• incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    [​IMG]

RoSoDude fixed the binocular FOV, something I repeatedly ignored (I was overloaded). As a bonus, he also added a range finder

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 6
    ^ Top  
  19. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Also, you can now equip the binoculars as a secondary item! This will be especially useful in allowing you to quickly check the range of your enemies, given how much more meaningful range is now for all firearms.

Speaking of which, you can also equip Tech Goggles and Medkits/Biocells as secondary items now, with the latter requiring the Combat Medic's Bag perk. Activation occurs immediately on the secondary button press. This puts Tech Goggles on par with the ease of use with the Vision aug, and also makes Medkit/Biocell spam a bit more convenient (but requires some investment and a filled secondary item slot).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Doesnt this mod feature graphics improvements? Lot of you say this is what its missing, but I thought it included some of that.

^ Top  
  21. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    It does; ignore the fact that all of my footage/screenshots so far have been on vanilla maps with vanilla textures. I was too lazy to load the new maps in properly (I'll start doing this soon).

GMDX features plenty of visual improvements. See also these screenshots I took of GMDX with DX10's new lighting feature.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Ash Arcane

Ash
    If you've heard that, it's either outdated information or spoken by someone that's not played GMDX.

I urge you to check out the first link RosoDude posted above.

^ Top  
  23. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Okay, have an update on my progress with expanding and refining GMDX, with continued guidance from Ash . As I've said before, I'm working on a 9.0.4 patch as well as a more experimental addon which will contain all of the fixes and features of 9.0.4, plus some new features like rebalanced skills/augs and a few overhauled systems. Some highlights:

Here's the new Ammo Capacity augmentation:
    [​IMG]

There's plenty more under the hood beyond these highlights, and this is only about two months of (occasional) work. I have plenty of things in the pipeline for both of my projects, so stay tuned! Feedback is very welcome, and I'm happy to discuss my reasoning for any and all of my design decisions.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Zer0wing Cipher

Zer0wing
    Uh-h, where is v9.0? All moddb download links only show v8.0.

^ Top  
  25. Nael Arcane

Nael

• incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.