Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

if you think he is growing an ego, have you tried actually searching for personalities like
> Apollodown in Skyrim
or
> Giskard for oblivion

?

RoSoDude

Arcane
agris You question now? There's 113 pages of consistent codex praise here before you: only ONE guy disliked it and he was clearly not too sharp. The mod has minor nitpick-able flaws (nothing that redditor wrote though), yet it should be well established it's thoroughly codex-approved by now, and that's the best approval it can have. Play and find out for yourself.

Uh, earth to modder. He made some very specific claims regarding HP bloat, and that you've exalted combat as a more favored (as compared to vanilla) method to bypass challenges. I would think that someone as confident as you could simply describe why that's wrong, not point to a page count for the thread.

Guess I was wrong.

Why so eager to believe the ravings of a motivated individual in a transparent reddit bait thread (check the thread OP's nonexistent post history) over a wide spectrum of consensus established across multiple sites, including the ever-critical Codex, on which this mod has received over a hundred pages of attention? It is not a diversion tactic to appeal to the mod's recognition among fans with high standards for Deus Ex, nor is it one to point out the agenda of the person quoted. Rather, it is a call for perspective and context, which can be necessary to ground one's understanding in reality. The balance of Deus Ex rests on the interaction of many elements, and it is impossible to properly disentangle this person's Gish gallop of spurious arguments, distortions, and half-truths without writing a dissertation on the game's design. It's not that Ash (or perhaps I) couldn't, it's that it's a colossal waste of time to address this person's arguments in full, especially when it's so obvious what they're trying to do.

But, I'll bite. If anything had an "appalling" difficulty curve, it was vanilla Deus Ex. The pistol users of the first few maps would oneshot you on Realistic, while later enemies would lightly pepper you with chip damage from assault rifles and shotguns ("Realistic" enough for you?), and at a point in the game where you have a full set of modded weapons, mastered skills, and overpowered augmentations like Speed Enhancement, Ballistic Protection, Cloak, and Regeneration. The game's difficulty didn't just plateau, it veered off a fucking cliff. GMDX increases the health of enemies, yes, but in proportion to your skills, augs, and equipment at that point in the game. Can someone please explain to me how damage mods, offering a meaningful layer of customization and build choice as well as an alternative to skills/augs (and thus perfectly fitting DX's emphasis on overlapping upgrade design), are a bad thing? Or how meaningful restriction between paths according to your build on the Hardcore mode of all things is now terrible design? Or better yet, how increasing the strength and numbers of enemies in the later stages in accordance to the growing strength and toolset of the player, a staple in the type of game to which this very website is dedicated, is anathema to the "concept of vanilla", let alone solid game design? The reason you've seen widespread consensus on the quality of this mod from all manner of players, especially those on this site who love an archaic, dated old thing we call "gameplay", is because one would have to be an ignoramus on game design to marshal such idiotic arguments. Or, as is the case here, motivated by bitterness to construct a bait thread to house this carefully constructed reply in an attempt to discredit a mod loved by a great deal of demanding Deus Ex fans. Take your pick.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
agris said:
So glad you descended from your game-modding cloud to address the comment. Truly, we are not worthy.

I don't doubt you're putting your best into the mod, but perhaps your ego is growing a bit too large?

Or perhaps you're being retarded? Again I have to tell you to play the mod instead of saying stupid things.

Play the mod, see all the claims from swathes of fans that it is definitive etc, and witness the monocle to ego ratio. It's proportionate. The simple fact of the matter is, I am actually good at this, did my research, and while there may be someone out there better for the job than me, say the original devs, this is absolutely as good as it gets for Deus Ex to date (and that guy's arguments are fabricated bullshit).

It's not really "ego" anyway, because that implies over-inflation of worth. A GOAT mod for a GOAT game is pretty valuable for what it is. It's the tedium of openly interacting with people like that redditor over the years that attempt to slander because you hurt their fragile feelings that makes me this way. I didn't spend five years of extreme hardcore non-profit monocled work just to be maliciously pissed on by spiteful ignorant little shits. Whole point of this mod shortly became "doing what AAA and other DX modders (of the campaign) could not".

I have read, in general, glowing praise of GMDX. I have not read a well articulated criticism of it

That should reveal all you need to know: you question despite 113 pages of glowing feedback on RPG Codex, the "website too tough for devs". The website I feel is my only option to frequent for everyday gaming talk because it's seemingly the only place where standards consistently exist anymore. And despite being told the redditor has a personal agenda and his claims are false. :roll:

GMDX increases the health of enemies, yes, but in proportion to your skills, augs, and equipment at that point in the game.

*some enemy types. all late game. And all not exceeding the hp scale of vanilla: 75hp (NSF) - 400hp (Karkian).

The majority of NPC types have the exact same HP values as vanilla. Those that do not have absolutely solid logic as to why, resting in game design fundamentals that even Warren Spector clearly subscribes to.

Last edited:
Ash The time has come for you to let Deus Ex go, and focus on newer games sorely in need of mods: ELEX, KCD, Witcher 3, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ash The time has come for you to let Deus Ex go, and focus on newer games sorely in need of mods: ELEX, KCD, Witcher 3, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.
Yeah,i second this. Ash is pretty good modder and would love to see mods from him on other games. Seeing his taste i would say that Prey,Dishonoured or maybe even System shock 3(if it comes out and it is good) will suit him better.

ELEX, Witcher 3
Morrowind, Skyrim, ME: Andromeda and other wonderful games.
How dare you mock the most holly of holiest ELEX,you infidel!!!

Zer0wing

Cipher
Arx Fatalis, man. 2nd (more like 5th after VtMB, System Shock, two Ultima Underworlds, but that's just too edgy to be picky in this time and age) :obviously: game that desperately needs some GMDX-tier modding overhaul.

Fallout: New Vegas already have plenty of mods to enter Current Year+X1 remastered.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Here's a little teaser: I've made some changes to the Spy Drone. The first person camera is now completely fixed while you're controlling it, and you can toggle back and forth between controlling the drone and controlling JC. Press your frob button (default RMB) to toggle to JC, and activate the Spy Drone aug again to resume control of the drone.

(one thing that's already changed since I made this gif: it now says "Remote Spy Drone On Standby" when you're controlling JC)

More stuff on the way, I've just been busy and still have a bunch features in a half-implemented state, so I don't want to confirm them yet.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Will it use less energy in standby mode?

I considered doing that, but I decided against it. After all, on low levels the spy drone is balanced around waiting for e.g. spider bots to walk into it. With this feature you can actually bait them into an EMP trap a bit more reliably already, so I don't think I want to mess with the drain. It's true that this limits its usefulness as an actual Spy Drone, but this was already the case and the energy drain isn't actually too bad.

Ash

Arcane
No drain alteration? With energy drain the default I don't see there being much use for this. I'd go for a reduction (if being conservative with balancing) or even 0 energy drain, as I mentioned when I came up with the idea of the standby mode :hug:

Your choice if this is for your add-on of course.

RoSoDude

Arcane
It's still on the table, I guess. The question to me is if it's OP at all, but as I've said the energy drain is actually rather low already so maybe it's not a big deal to set it to 0 (see how I used that argument for both sides? Hmmm). That would give it any real usefulness as a an actual spy tool.

Ash

Arcane
It's still on the table, I guess. The question to me is if it's OP at all, but as I've said the energy drain is actually rather low already.

It's around 120 units p/m right? That's pretty high, third-highest after cloak/radar transparency.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Realistically, Spy drone definitely needs energy drain but gameplay wise, eh. I didn't even know there is a spy drone in vanilla Deus Ex (or rather if it's so useful), only used it once to fly around Paris in DX mod 2027.
Any recommendations?
Standard list. Aside from necessary 4GB enabler, NVSE and plugins like Stutter Remover, UIO and script extenders? Pretty much every mod by jazzisparis; Either JSawyer mod (not UE) to stick to the :balance:d path or Project Nevada rebalance for manual tweaking, although other modules are really good to say the least; Real recoil and realistic weapon damage to fresh up combat a little. Just from a top of my head.
As for graphics, Realistic Wasteland Lighting Overhaul and Interior Lighting Overhaul I liked the most, although no desert filter and it can get quite dark sometimes, most of the time at night. Arguably, I'd also change default characters' mugs with a combo of New Vegas Redesigned 3 and FCO 3.0 and weapon animations with Asurah Reanimation Pack and added animated pickups and drug usage with Solid Project (obviously you'd want to turn off markers rendered on the game world a-la Dishonored 2 that this mod enables for some reason). You don't need ENB effects but memory manager is really useful. Hell, I'd even never bother to dig into ini files and just download from nexus (there's only one). As for textures, I don't have any texture replacement mods so can't recommend any.
And keep an eye on Xillandro's mods, there is some neat stuff appears from time to time.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Uh, earth to modder.
I don't doubt you're putting your best into the mod, but perhaps your ego is growing a bit too large? That's been the downfall of many a developer in the past, and since you profess to learn from the Old Ones, that might be another lesson well-worth taking to heart.
the fuck lol...

"Your work has been well received. You do show and not just tell. But your ego is too large, large egos suffer downfalls..."

Careful Ash , reads like someone who's going to start planting dead cats in your mailbox
rating_lulz.gif

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
It's still on the table, I guess. The question to me is if it's OP at all, but as I've said the energy drain is actually rather low already.

It's around 120 units p/m right? That's pretty high, third-highest after cloak/radar transparency.

It's 90 BPM. Vanilla was 150 BPM.

So yeah, it's medium drain really. I set it to 0 on standby for now, not sure what I'll do moving forward. Maybe cut it by 2/3 instead or something.

Ash

Arcane
if the spy drone could remotely hack turrets it could be a useful OP tool.

Spy drone is very useful as a remote-controlled EMP bomb*. That beats anything mechanical. On those grounds it rivals its competing aug ADS.
It's still useless for actually spying, but that's the intent I had behind this standby mode with 0 or minimal drain. Set it up somewhere to act as an extra pair of eyes, watch your back while sneaking around and generally observe patrols. Probably a bit much with 0 drain, but if it's minimal it should be very handy without being OP. Security computers are typically placed deep in enemy territory that you have to get to first before you can hack. If you could remotely break in and turn on the turrets...OP. Hacking turrets is super OP as is.

*An unlimited EMP bomb on easy-medium-hard in some locations, where there is a infinite-use repair bot nearby.

Last edited:
IMO, make a big flat cost to create the drone and make it much cheaper to drive it around. This would make it more useful as an EMP delivery device rather than a spammable close range EMP grenade replacement.

Spy Drone hacking would be cool, maybe level 4 only? Could also add an additional energy drain for this.

Ash

Arcane
There is reduced continual drain over vanilla, and a minor detonation cost.

Spy Drone hacking would be cool, maybe level 4 only?

Never. Too OP. Only thing that balances the god-tier power of turrets (literally god tier -- NPCs never target them so they are effectively invincible when allied with the player) is the fact that you must reach the security console in the first place...and to a much lesser extent have the respective hacking skill level or login/password.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Got some :incline: for you all. The repair bot now does what its name implies -- it repairs your damn equipment! 3 biocells worth of charge, just like with recharging the player.

5DBhR7U.jpg

...UI coding is the worst. Everything here, from the placement of elements to the background and border textures, had to be edited by hand and specified manually in the code. Still got it done in under a day. :positive:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...UI coding is the worst.
This is a universal truth, known to developers since the beginning of time.
Even the best UI tools and editors just make it "barely tolerable".
It is super easy and could be done by monkeys, but it is also incredibly time intensive.

UI coding is horrible...

agris

Arcane
Patron
RoSoDude is that the vanilla bio energy-bar fill texture? It looks incongruous with all the others, a flat blue better suits it imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom