Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

RoSoDude

Arcane
That the Direct3D10 Direct3D11 renderer? It's not ready for primetime.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
RoSoDude have you though of adding rain/snow weather effects: https://www.moddb.com/mods/precipitation ?
It was one of the best visual addons of the Nameless mod.

Not looked at it seriously. I'm not really a visuals guy, 99% focused on gameplay, and I'm not really sure what levels would benefit from it without drastically changing their feel. Maybe as an optional modifier, I suppose.
Yeah as an optional modifier definitely.

I really dislike the crappy clouds textures, they're full of ugly banding. Rain would give them some purpose and obscure them, not to mention that it would crate an even denser noir atmosphere.

Ash

Arcane
I'm back bros! And I need your help once more.

If you liked GMDX and Unreal Evolution, please consider supporting me via patreon for further projects:

https://www.patreon.com/gmdx

I am the creator of the acclaimed GMDX mod for Deus Ex (2000), as well as the Unreal Evolution mod for Unreal (1998). By supporting me, you enable me to work toward a future producing further content much like the above, be it in the form of free high quality mods for classic video games, or beginning a career as an indie developer in which I promise to deliver my best.

Currently I have nothing further to show just yet, but I have something in the works and if you believe in me and my talent, consider investing!

The codex is a big reason for the autistic scale of GMDX. You guys spread the word, voted for Mod of the Year, gave plenty encouraging words, and this pushed me to produce the end result rather than giving up early on.

:love:

Here's to future incline. You know I've got the good shit.

Oh, and v9 is set to hit 100,000 downloads real soon. That's on you my good men :salute:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
A little something to get started: Quake 1.5 Combat+ Add-on Released | GMDX on Patreon

Awaiting authorization, should be available to download in a few hours.

1.jpg

Quake 1.5 is outstanding. People are sleeping on this mod. In terms of PvE power scale however it mostly buffs enemies (new monsters, more encountered in maps, smarter AI for example Ogres are accurate on Z axis now). The player has relatively few buffs by comparison. Some (vanilla or otherwise) design flaws remain, such as weapon obsolescence (lightning gun nearly is in singleplayer), and a few bugs were present. The Combat+ add-on optimizes the fun, fluidity, diversity and power of the superb arsenal of Quake 1.5 without changing the original design intent nor difficulty too much. The focus of this add-on for Q1.5 is primarily in buffing the player's *weaker half* of the arsenal with just a few integral yet subtle tweaks, with the exception of the SSG which is now actually super:

Changelog:

<<<Super Shotgun (SSG)>>>

-The SSG can be fired *twice* between each reload animation (increased DPS but not damage).
-However the reload animation/delay is slightly longer (+0.25 seconds).
-Knockback for enemies and the player both is reduced by 40% since you'll often be firing twice in succession.
-Horizontal accuracy slightly increased (still not sensible to use at medium-long ranges, but improves range ever so slightly).
-Additionally, kick attack is now enabled during weapon reload animations (see below) -- it is extra proficient to combo kicking withthe SSG now.

Quake 1.5 is hard as balls. This new level of Sshotgun power does not break the game. The intent is to make the SSG a true successor to Doom's SSG in terms of fun factor and shred potential. Given how much harder Q1.5 is, it permits this buff (and all the others).

<<<Shotgun>>>

Pellets fired per shot increased from 6 to 7. This results in an approximate +17% damage increase per shot and yields exactly half the number of pellets per shot of the SSG. The intent is to make the Shotgun slightly more viable overall and also not left behind by the new SSG.

<<<Kick Attack>>>

Kicking is vastly improved with the following changes:

-Faster melee kick/transitioning to being able to shoot or kick again.
-You can kick during weapon animations, such as while the SSG is reloading. The kick is more viable to combo with other attacks.
-BUGFIX: No input buffering with kicking -- you won't accidentally be kicking twice in a row all the time if spamming.
-Reduced kick enemy knockback by 20%. It was too much (would send grunts flying). This nerf attempts to tone that down while still making kicking enemies into traps etc viable, and also make follow-up kicks or other close-range attacks easier by not sending enemies too far.
-OPTIONAL: Kick damage increased by 15% (see below)

<<<Nailgun>>>

-BUGFIX: tapping fire/shoot with the nailgun will no longer cause the weapon to muzzleflash and vibrate (animation), but not fire a nail. Now you can single-fire/burst fire the nail gun effectively with a single mouse press or short hold.
-OPTIONAL minor buffs to damage and ammo capacity (See below).

<<<Grenade Launcher>>>

-Grenade Velocity increased by 20%. Makes the GL more enjoyable and versatile to use; viable at medium ranges or vs enemies with moderate elevation advantage on you, is more effective at bouncing off walls, and hopefully not almost entirely outclassed the moment a rocket launcher is found.

<<<Lightning Gun>>>

-Cell consumption rate reduced by 35%.
-Range at which lightning chains to another enemy increased by 30%.
-Picking up a lightning gun gives you 30 cells as opposed to 15.

The intent is to fix an obvious vanilla design flaw: to actually let you enjoy the lightning gun rather than it eating all your ammo in a few seconds (also alongside cell ammo being very rare).

The remaining weapons have no direct changes. Already great weapon design.

[ALL OF THE BELOW IS OPTIONAL]

These features are highly recommended. Nonetheless, if you do not want the following changes or don't want them to overwrite your q15_config.cfg, simply don't copy over the respective file from the download.

<<<Nailgun>>>

-Increased damage by 1. Super nail gun still completely outclasses the nailgun, just less so with this change.

<<<Axe & Kick>>>

-Axe and kick damage increased by 3 (+15%).

<<<OP Ogre>>>

Reduced Ogre grenade damage by 12.5%, since ogres are deadly accurate in Q1.5 (good) and are everywhere on higher difficulty modes.

<<<Ammo>>>

An attempt to address vanilla design, the following ammo capacity changes encourage smart pickup management, resolve balancing issues, and increase trigger happy time with the overly-limiting weapons (e.g Lighting gun, nail gun).

-Nails max ammo capacity increased by 50 (200 -> 250). Picking up a nailgun grants 50 nails (was 30). Nailbox pickups unchanged.
-Cells max ammo capacity increased by 20. (100 -> 120). Increased all cell pickup counts slightly (except backpacks of any kind).
-Shell counts amd capacities remain unchanged.
-Rockets/Grenade ammo capacity reduced by 40. (100 -> 60). In this mod you'll rarely reach max regardless, since ammo is quite tight.

Note: this add-on is designed with default Q1.5 CVAR config in mind. I do not recommend modifying this file.

Sjukob

Arcane
A little something to get started: Quake 1.5 Combat+ Add-on Released | GMDX on Patreon

Awaiting authorization, should be available to download in a few hours.
Huh? Is this still only for Darkplaces source port and maps without progs.dat file? It seems like a good number of Quake maps come with their own gameplay additions, so they are straight up incompatible.

But if you felt like screwing around after a break, then it's alright, I guess.

Ash

Arcane
Huh? Is this still only for Darkplaces source port and maps without progs.dat file?

Yes.

It seems like a good number of Quake maps come with their own gameplay additions, so they are straight up incompatible.

:shrugs:

The intended way to play Q1.5 is with the campaign. It has numerous refinements and additions to the maps. It is much like both GMDX and Unreal Evolution in this respect.

If you play a lot of custom quake content (probably with quakespasm) I recommend just making a separate Quake install just for Q1.5 and Darkplaces.
I have one folder with Arcane Dimensions and spasm, the other with Q1.5 and Darkplaces. Guess which I think is better?

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
The intended way to play Q1.5 is with the campaign. It has numerous refinements and additions to the maps. It is much like both GMDX and Unreal Evolution in this respect.

If you play a lot of custom quake content (probably with quakespasm) I recommend just making a separate Quake install just for Q1.5 and Darkplaces.
I have one folder with Arcane Dimensions and spasm, the other with Q1.5 and Darkplaces. Guess which I think is better?
Yeah, I just can't get used to the Quake mod restrictions after Doom, where you are almost always free to set up any wad with any mod you like.

Ash

Arcane
Fundraiser time!

Have your say in what you want to see next! Where could my talent be utilized best?
If Multiple people were to donate just one peasant dollar to the patreon per month it all adds up and enables me to live thrive.

Would you like to see VTM:B get a gameplay-oriented overhaul fix-up and be made less shitty in that regard?
Perhaps I could refine the gameplay of ARX FATALIS in faithful style, similar to my approach to GMDX?
How about an AI enhancing mod for FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS?
Combat+ mod for QUAKE 2, similar to my Unreal Evolution or Quake Combat+ mod?
Consider an overall gameplay-enhancing mod for RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN?
Imagine MORROWIND but with less retarded gameplay?

Maybe you can think of other classics that need some love. I'm sure there's plenty.

Jesus Motherfucking Christ I need money. This sucks.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Would you like to see VTM:B get a gameplay-oriented overhaul fix-up and be made less shitty in that regard?
Would it be compatible with existing mods, like the one the resident VTM:B autist is making?

And yes, Bloodlines would benefit from a mod that fixes or otherwise overhauls dodgy mechanics and makes a wider variety of builds more viable.

Perhaps I could refine the gameplay of ARX FATALIS in faithful style, similar to my approach to GMDX?
Yes, that would be pretty neat, Arx Fatalis deserves the love, though there's already someone else working on something similar, the Arx Insanity Mod.

I'm no expert but there's a few of those around, from ones that try to improve stealth to ones that try to help the AI deal with the player character picking them off from range.

Depends on what you had in mind really.

This is a definitive yes. Quake 2 is like the redheaded stepchild of classic id - not really standing out in any category and mostly being very dull to play through, with lackluster weapons and uninspired enemies and encounter designs.

Again, there's been a few attempts to do this over the years, with more or less success.

This too has been done to a degree. For most of my Morrowind playthroughs I use the Hardcore Mode mod that plugs most of the more obvious exploits, and then add a mod that prevents resting in dungeons and a bunch of other mods to deal with whatever other unbalanced aspects the game suffers from.

All in all, all your suggestions are interesting - though I'd be most interested in your Quake 2, Bloodlines and Morrowind proposals.

Maybe you can think of other classics that need some love. I'm sure there's plenty.
Are you autistic enough to attempt to fix MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries?

As for other game proposals, lots of Raven games could use some tinkering, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is another game that could use rebalancing, Outcast, Clive Barker's Undying as the unclean one mentioned, Silent Storm, System Shock 1.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I replayed mw a few months ago, and while it obviously has a fuckton of mods, it didn't seem to have any good gameplay overhauls that weren't retarded. And MW is in great need of a gameplay overhaul.

You should probably pick a game that is still very popular then and might have people willing to put down a lot of patreon money.

Latelistener

Arcane
Out of all games you mentioned I'd say VTMB is the one that needed to be fixed the most.

Wesp ironed out some bugs (while bringing the new), but the patch got worse over the years. Even the basic version is filled with restored content and questionable changes. The last time I've just played the vanilla version.

The game really needs a gameplay overhaul and not some new dialogue changes here and there.

But if Deus Ex was already good gameplay wise, Bloodlines isn't. It would require a ton of work to make it good, starting from level design. You should probably stay the fuck away.

To be honest with all the following, you would expect someone will finally port this game on Source, but it's just isn't happening to this day.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Fundraiser time!

Have your say in what you want to see next! Where could my talent be utilized best?
If Multiple people were to donate just one peasant dollar to the patreon per month it all adds up and enables me to live thrive.

Don't listen to me because I won't give you a cent, but I can't think of any classic that needs a combat gameplay overhaul more than Arcanum.

Careful tho, there be dragons in that code.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll say Morrowind with more satisfying combat and movement would be great. Even in the better efforts to make it standard action, the game feels so clunky.

Plus, if that was made, now you got dozens of dungeons and such to fight through.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
If your goal is money, don't pick up fucking with old games with an audience of like 500 active players.

If you need money, compile all your work into an online CV and start applying for game Dev jobs. You will have to earn your stripes by doing QA and 'menial' jobs until you pay your dues. Nobody will hire a designer based on mods, unless the mod points to new revenue potential, or your ability to deliver it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
And here I was going to say take a crash course in modern CPP / python, get accredited for some fintech pipelines and work as a hired gun 3-6 months a year and follow your modding passion the other parts.

curds

Magister
Played Arx Fatalis recently. Great game, but I'd def donate a few shekels for a Give Me Arx Fatalis mod.

Ash

Arcane
If your goal is money, don't pick up fucking with old games with an audience of like 500 active players.

If you need money, compile all your work into an online CV and start applying for game Dev jobs. You will have to earn your stripes by doing QA and 'menial' jobs until you pay your dues. Nobody will hire a designer based on mods, unless the mod points to new revenue potential, or your ability to deliver it.

Eat shit. I am currently not allowed to work by rule of (immigration) law, otherwise I wouldn't bother with all this. Especially not 5 years post-release of gmdx. The ship has sailed, apparently. Timing is everything.
Worse still you tell me to join the video game industry as a faceless drone and sell my soul.

Quake Combat+ v2.0 released: https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-15/addons/combat-add-on-v20

Intended For Singleplayer Only, though multiplayer should work just fine.

Changelog:

Bold = v2.0 features (scroll down).

<<<Super Shotgun (SSG)>>>

-The SSG can be fired *twice* between each reload animation (increased DPS but not damage).
-However the reload animation/delay is slightly longer (+0.25 seconds).
-Knockback for enemies and the player both is reduced by 40% since you'll often be firing twice in succession.
-Horizontal accuracy slightly increased (still not sensible to use at medium-long ranges, but improves range ever so slightly).
-Increased recoil by ~20%.
-Additionally, kick attack is now enabled during weapon reload animations (see below) -- it is extra proficient to combo kicking withthe SSG now.

Quake 1.5 is hard as balls. This new level of Sshotgun power does not break the game. The intent is to make the SSG a true successor to Doom's SSG in terms of fun factor and shred potential. Given how much harder Q1.5 is, it permits this buff (and all the others).

<<<Shotgun>>>

Pellets fired per shot increased from 6 to 7. This results in an approximate +17% damage increase per shot and yields exactly half the number of pellets per shot of the SSG. The intent is to make the Shotgun slightly more viable overall and also not left behind by the new SSG.

<<<Kick Attack>>>

Kicking is vastly improved with the following changes:

-Faster melee kick/transitioning to being able to shoot or kick again.
-You can kick during weapon animations, such as while the SSG is reloading. The kick is more viable to combo with other attacks.
-BUGFIX: No input buffering with kicking -- you won't accidentally be kicking twice in a row all the time if spamming.
-Reduced kick enemy knockback by 20%. It was too much (would send grunts flying). This nerf attempts to tone that down while still making kicking enemies into traps etc viable, and also make follow-up kicks or other close-range attacks easier by not sending enemies too far.
-OPTIONAL: Kick damage increased by 15% (see below)

<<<Nailgun>>>

-BUGFIX: tapping fire/shoot with the nailgun will no longer cause the weapon to muzzleflash and vibrate (animation), but not fire a nail. Now you can single-fire/burst fire the nail gun effectively with a single mouse press or short hold.
-OPTIONAL buffs to projectile speed, damage and ammo capacity (See below).

<<<Grenade Launcher>>>

-Grenade Velocity increased by 20%. Makes the GL more enjoyable and versatile to use; viable at medium ranges or vs enemies with moderate elevation advantage on you, is more effective at bouncing off walls, and hopefully not almost entirely outclassed the moment a rocket launcher is found.

<<<Lightning Gun>>>

-Cell consumption rate reduced by 35%.
-Picking up a lightning gun gives you 30 cells as opposed to 15.

The intent is to fix an obvious vanilla design flaw: to actually let you enjoy the lightning gun rather than it eating all your ammo in a few seconds (also alongside cell ammo being very rare).

<<<Rocket Launcher>>>

-Removed bonus damage on direct impact. Was far too powerful. Deals the same damage as GL, as per vanilla.

<<<Scrag>>>

-Reduced Scrag's chance of teleporting while simply moving by 75%. Chance of teleporting while taking damage remains. This will make them LESS predictable. You could trigger a room of enemies and back off, the scrags would all teleport into your hiding spot for easy thinning of the crowd. This makes that less abusable, and they probably teleported too much anyways.

<<<Fiend>>>

-Increased the distance/speed of the fiend's jump attack by a random range of 0-25% per jump.
-Fiend teleportation: there is a very low chance a fiend will teleport to a new location upon taking damage.
-Darkplaces engine bug workaround: if a fiend gets stuck on geometry it will teleport to a new nearby location.
-Added further Z offset/displacement when initiating a jump in an attempt to reduce fiends getting stuck on geometry.
-Made fiend jump "motion blur" visual effect stand out slightly more.

[ALL OF THE BELOW IS OPTIONAL]

These features are highly recommended. Nonetheless, if you do not want the following changes or don't want them to overwrite your q15_config.cfg, simply don't copy over the respective file from the download.

<<<Nailgun>>>

-Increased projectile speed by 80%! The intent is to make this remain a useful weapon once the SNG is found. SNG is still far better as it deals much more damage, however the nailgun will be appealing for longer ranges, as well as good against faster or smaller enemies since it is harder to dodge. This also works well in tandem with the bugfix that enables single shot/burst fire marksmanship.
-Increased damage by 1 (again). Nailgun = 11. SNG = 18.

<<<Axe & Kick>>>

-Axe and kick damage increased by 3 (+15%).

<<<Rocket & Grenade Launcher>>>

-Increased damage of both by 17%. Since the direct impact damage bonus of the RL was removed (it was killing ogres in one shot!) and damage between the weapons has been normalised, I gave them both a minor boost since Q1.5 is notably harder than vanilla.

<<<Misc>>>

-Increased the animation speed of ALL monster's ranged attacks by +10%.
-Removed screenshake when shamblers corpse hits the floor (it wasn't smooth and impeded gameplay).
-Reduced chance of enemies setting on fire to explosive weapons to 15% (was 40%). This is cool but it is merely a cosmetic death animation, and they get in the way while running around. 40% was too much.

<<<OP Ogre>>>

Reduced Ogre grenade damage by 12.5%, since ogres are deadly accurate in Q1.5 (good) and are everywhere on higher difficulty modes.

<<<Ammo>>>

An attempt to address vanilla design, the following ammo capacity changes encourage smart pickup management, resolve balancing issues, and increase trigger happy time with the overly-limiting weapons (e.g Lighting gun, nail gun).

-Nails max ammo capacity increased by 50 (200 -> 250). Picking up a nailgun grants 50 nails (was 30). Nailbox pickups unchanged.
-Cells max ammo capacity increased by 20. (100 -> 120). Increased all cell pickup counts slightly (except backpacks of any kind).
-Shell counts amd capacities remain unchanged.
-Rockets/Grenade ammo capacity reduced by 40. (100 -> 60). In this mod you'll rarely reach max regardless, since ammo is quite tight.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom