Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have some trouble with the resolutions. No matter what resolution I choose nothing changes. Also, I can't restore the keybindings to default, nothing happens when you press that button, and I have fucked them up. Will a reinstall fix this?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I have some trouble with the resolutions. No matter what resolution I choose nothing changes. Also, I can't restore the keybindings to default, nothing happens when you press that button, and I have fucked them up. Will a reinstall fix this?
sounds like you installed the game into program files and windows is blocking write access to ini files that store settings.

Acrux

Arcane
Either don't install in Program Files (first choice), or see if you can give yourself full control admin permissions to the folder.

Abhay

Augur
Looking for the add-on that improves upon Ash's GMDX v9 mod further with numerous tweaks

Anyone can direct me to the name and link of this add-on?

I faintly remember the creator as some Russo or something who worked extensively on GMDX.

Also, what's gmdx-v10-community-update that is available on Moddb and is it officially supported by Ash? Is it a fix to v9 or a standalone update?

It'd be better if Ash includes the recommended add-ons on the mod site to make it easy for players to understand which are the best ones

ironmask

Arbiter
Looking for the add-on that improves upon Ash's GMDX v9 mod further with numerous tweaks
I believe you are looking for GMDX RSD. You can find it on Moddb. It's an addon for the main GMDX page.

Also, what's gmdx-v10-community-update that is available on Moddb and is it officially supported by Ash? Is it a fix to v9 or a standalone update?
The community update is made by different people. Ash is not apart of it. I also thanks he hates it.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
The community update is made by different people.
Damn, another one. Have you tried it? What are the big differences between GMDX/RSD/v10? Which one would you recommend to play if you've only played GMDX v9 on medium (or was it hard, I don't remember, certainly not the last option) before?

ironmask

Arbiter
Only played gmdx so I don't know all the differences between the three, besides what I have read. I wouldn't download the Community update because they cut out content. Ash seems to really like RSD, so I guess that's good.

Ivan

Arcane
Replayed Deus Ex w/GMDX RSD and had a blast. It still is a glorious experience featuring joyous progression systems and exploration. I was curious about other mods to try.

Tried Revision through opening level. Don't care for it. It feels like a sacrilegious painting over of the original (insert that jesus painting here) plus it tanks the frame rate. I was also missing some gameplay features/QOL improvements from GMDX: namely the speedier use of lockpicking/multitools, Thief-like mantling, real-time inventory, being able to use consumable items from inventory screen, auto equip of lockpick/multitool when interacting with world objects, auto-holster equipped item when picking up world objects, being able to push/throw objects with the l.mouse button.

Not to be deterred, I sought out other mods and am now in the middle of The Nameless Mod. I'm having good fun exploring the opening map (Forum City).

Anything else worth trying aside from Nameless Mod + 2027?

to try list:
The Nameless Mod
Nihilum
Zodiac

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Replayed Deus Ex w/GMDX RSD and had a blast. It still is a glorious experience featuring joyous progression systems and exploration. I was curious about other mods to try.

Tried Revision through opening level. Don't care for it. It feels like a sacrilegious painting over of the original (insert that jesus painting here) plus it tanks the frame rate. I was also missing some gameplay features/QOL improvements from GMDX: namely the speedier use of lockpicking/multitools, Thief-like mantling, and being able to push/throw objects with the l.mouse button.

Not to be deterred, I sought out other mods and am now in the middle of The Nameless Mod. I'm having good fun exploring the opening map (Forum City).

My other mods (see my signature).

Deus Ex has Zodiac and Nihilum TCs also, if you really must have more Deus Ex. They're for sure worth playing, being free and Deus Ex-like, but don't expect Deus Ex quality from any TC.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
DX has the highest place in my heart re: gaming influences.. but I think I’m finally at a point where I’ve played it too many times over the last 20+ years and need a hiatus. Thanks Ash and RoSoDude for breathing so much life and hxcx fun into the game the last decade for me

:love:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Tried Revision through opening level. Don't care for it. It feels like a sacrilegious painting over of the original (insert that jesus painting here) plus it tanks the frame rate. I was also missing some gameplay features/QOL improvements from GMDX: namely the speedier use of lockpicking/multitools, Thief-like mantling, real-time inventory, being able to use consumable items from inventory screen, auto equip of lockpick/multitool when interacting with world objects, auto-holster equipped item when picking up world objects, being able to push/throw objects with the l.mouse button.

to try list:
The Nameless Mod
Nihilum
Zodiac

Zodiac is very good. Nihilum is p.good. Redsun 2020 is unfinished, but maybe worth a try.

You could always try Terminus Machina. Haven't tried it, but it's made by some batshit insane dude, with horrible VA, and delusions of grandeur:

Well, it seems you can suck cocks for a bag of soy food. That's probably incline for the codex:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Regretfully, the only DX total conversion I got around to playing was Project 2027, which I thought was great. The progression/weapon balance is about as bad as vanilla DX, but it has a lot of cool systems expansions; it was possibly the first DX mod to add perks to the skills system? You get a perk point every [X] amount of skill points you receive. It also has great level design that I feel is on par with the original game overall, as well as a cool DX prequel story setup that feels more authentic than DX:HR while hitting a lot of the same beats (they were developed and released almost concurrently), and very elaborate choice and consequence. A decision in the intro level comes back at the final level, and your choice of faction in each story hub drastically affects how all your missions play out. The vibe and music are also just plain cool. Just make sure you don't enable the awful DirectX 9 bloom garbage; it genuinely looks better on plain ol' DirectX 8. And better yet, play the mod on a standalone DX install so it doesn't mess up your config with post-processing crap, it's really tedious to remove.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and play on Medium unless you adore savescumming. The bullet damage has been increased to ridiculous levels across the board.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played through 2027 last year, and the first thing I did after finishing it was to replay it with a different playstyle, making different story choices. I don't even have to tell you that I thought it was fantastic - that's about as good as a seal of approval as you can give.

As RSD stated, the game gives you a great amount of freedom. As long as you're not in one of the two weapon-free zones, the mod allows you to kill any character (at least it worked on every one I tried), which obviously removes any future encounters you might have with them. This allows you to skip boss encounters, lock yourself out of endings or just rob people blind without them shooting you in the back while you're picking their locks. There's even a short, optional level if you exited the previous one in a specific way.

And the music is really good:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Playing Deus Ex for the first time, does GOG version include GMDX from the start? I installed Community Patch and graphics changed, the floor in the tutorial is no longer smooth and reflective.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Playing Deus Ex for the first time, does GOG version include GMDX from the start? I installed Community Patch and graphics changed, the floor in the tutorial is no longer smooth and reflective.
GMDX is not bundled with any official version of the game. You'll have to download separately.

Regarding the shiny floors, there's a D3D10 graphic setting that's the likely culprit -- try setting SimulateMultipassTexturing=false in gmdx.ini. It makes skyboxes look better too.

I also recommend ClassicLighting=false to get better contrast between light/dark and remove color banding. Results here.

Gargaune

Magister
Regarding the shiny floors, there's a D3D10 graphic setting that's the likely culprit -- try setting SimulateMultipassTexturing=false in gmdx.ini. It makes skyboxes look better too.

I also recommend ClassicLighting=false to get better contrast between light/dark and remove color banding. Results here.
Hey, you seem to know about this stuff - last time I played DX I had to get Kentie's D3D10 renderer on Windows 10 and it looked really cool with Classic Lighting disabled, but I had a weird behaviour with some sort of adaptive bloom/gamma thing. Basically, looking at a bright light would darken the whole screen and then it kinda stayed that way. It seems to be built into it, like when I disable Classic Lighting, the screen will start gradually dimming until it reaches the "new standard." Is there any way to disable that variability, just keep a level gamma throughout?

RoSoDude

Arcane

Hey, you seem to know about this stuff - last time I played DX I had to get Kentie's D3D10 renderer on Windows 10 and it looked really cool with Classic Lighting disabled, but I had a weird behaviour with some sort of adaptive bloom/gamma thing. Basically, looking at a bright light would darken the whole screen and then it kinda stayed that way. It seems to be built into it, like when I disable Classic Lighting, the screen will start gradually dimming until it reaches the "new standard." Is there any way to disable that variability, just keep a level gamma throughout?
Yeah, I uploaded a fix for exactly that issue:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/veronikas-hdr-brightness-fix

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom