Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Greetings. I was contacted on reddit to give my opinion on this mod. First of all I really enjoyed GMDX, version 9 at first. I was convinced to give V10 a chance on reddit, and I'm glad I did. The v10 thankfully removes the rape scene, which I found highly offensive. It also fixes many balance issues with difficulty. Furthermore the creator of GMDX seems extremely rude on this thread. I am glad I gave the V10 community edition a shot. I highly recommend the v10 community edition!
cool cool…

what did you think of that new Fallout tv show?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Okay, as much popcorn fun as I've had in this thread, I'm just wondering if I'm getting this whole thing correct. Ash made the GMDX mod, which is at v9. Some other bunch comes along and decides to take Ash's mod, including the name, make some changes and improvements, and call it GMDX v10?

If that's the case, please explain to me how Ash is the asshole in this? They took his work, they didn't bother to even change the name even a little bit, like "GMDX Cry Closet Edition", and just iterated the version number. Please tell me if I'm getting it wrong, because if I'm not, that's a HUGE dick move on the v10 team's part.

Ash

Arcane
If that's the case, please explain to me how Ash is the asshole in this? They took his work, they didn't bother to even change the name even a little bit, like "GMDX Cry Closet Edition", and just iterated the version number. Please tell me if I'm getting it wrong, because if I'm not, that's a HUGE dick move on the v10 team's part.

You are 100% correct. :salute:

Just missing the fact that while they did this, they also made shit up about both me and the mod, or blew tiny flaws that 99% of players would never even notice out of proportion, to slander and raise up their shit version. Did I mention how they also claimed I am racist for use of a goddamn pain sound when an enemy is hit? How in the actual fuck does changing a sound made when an enemy welps in pain make one racist? Extremely sick people.

They also made shit up about RoSoDude once I left and he took over, I don't recall the details but basically they made him look like a bad guy, when many users here will know that he is not. I don't think he wants any part in this and I don't blame him. It resulted in him abandoning vRSD or killing his passion for it. Very, very deranged people.

But it's OK to do all that apparently because I shit on their favorite games like Bioshock and said they must be retarded if they like it (for example. That was the first one that got me enemies that would engage in this kind of behavior), or I pissed off some annoying/weird/deranged users on the codex with similar logical statements while being a bit of a arrogant or angry dick (as is normal for most users on this board), and so they have all banded together, all mentally ill people in one place for a convenient mass-lobotomy. Too bad that is not possible.

The sad part is I'm not even a bad guy. Just angry. Dealing with people like this for extended periods of time makes you this way. And yeah, I have a bit of an ego. Deserved. I am pretty good at what I do, that being game design. As evidenced by the mod's popularity and the fact it has spawned many forks, and is still being talked about 7 years later. That doesn't happen by accident. That was my talent. Talent these weasels will never have and are envious of, so they steal and/or slander.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Ash may have an abrasive nature to him, but he's put a ton of work into a genuinely great mod, and I'm thankful to him for that. As far as I know, the only branch really worth considering is RoSoDude's. Whatever is going on here is weird and it's a shame it's been brought to these forums. Whoever "alerted" the reddit brigade should probably be ashamed.

Ash

Arcane
Love you guys. We argue, we move on, until the next fight. No hard feelings. That's how it's supposed to be. I lost count the number of times someone has called me retarded on here. You're not supposed to take it to heart. And yet, certain deranged people do and if you have something they can target, like a mod, they will. It is extremely low-down disgusting sub-human behavior.

Anyway, I finally revealed the details regarding 'v10' theft and slander. Myself and RoSoDude never spoke about it publicly before because we just wanted to be left alone, these people are THAT deranged. But since they see fit to shill it here, now you know how scummy they are.

Lord_Trashcan

Novice
I wasn't wrong in that interaction either. For the record. All the things I were being asked to do was completely redundant due to a technicality elsewhere. I tried to explain, but they weren't listening, just continued on being condescending...

Thanks for promoting Unreal Evo. Never did get enough love it deserved.
Hello, I was contacted by a user of this forum on reddit and told my work was being insulted. I do find it mildly amusing he copy pasted my posts on reddit, however I stand by everything I said previously. I am one of the modders who has worked proudly on the GMDX community mod v10. Found here https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update. For starters the teamworking on this fork has faced nothing but pure slander and lies spread about us. The modder responsible for this, who I can assume is Ash. You made several changes which were unpopular among players. Including but not limited to adding a rape scene(Why?) into Paris. As well as weird balance changes that go against the spirit of Deus Ex. Proving you are an FPS fan, and not a true fan of Deus Ex. You were impossible to reason or work with, and condescending, inconsiderate and overall a huge scumbag. The v10 community mod has been a huge success, and we are very proud of how many people have enjoyed it. Your less than amateur status as a coder proved problematic, since GMDX broke Deus Ex's code in several places causing several bugs that we needed to fix. You did not want to listen to this of course, because you are so perfect of course.The truth is your design and vision had no direction. It is simply a collection of changes you cobbled together in your psyche. Unable to discern what is a good idea, and what isa bad idea. Since your fragile ego won't allow you to ever believe you could possibly be wrong about anything. I will add that you, Ash. You are the reason us modders have a bad reputation in various gaming communities. Perhaps you should look inward, and realize you are perfect and not everything you say is gospel.

This is very rich. You stole my website. You stole my mod without my permission. You made up lies about me, and my work. You took to slandering RoSoDude in my absence when I disappeared off the internet for about a year to get away from the severe psychosis of you very sick people. Tons of very mentally ill modders out there, that much is true. Anyways, I look to it as a good thing your low INT fork exists, as it does nothing but keep the name alive and well. I could have had it removed. Maybe I will now that I know for sure that you are the mentally ill thief behind it. As for impossible to work with, lol I just wouldn't allow crap contributions to Deus Ex, be it feature suggestions or other modders wanting to help, and this got certain people very, very butthurt. Dealing with a subsection of fans was like running a mental asylum. And you people wonder why I am one angry motherfucker. Lol.
Well, For starters the biggest reason we had to make our own fork was you are impossible to work with. As for stealing your website none of that can be proven and I consider it slanderous. As for stealing your mod, we made our own fork. Hence the name v10. With your impossible to work with attitude and bad coding ability(Seriously you created SO many bugs that were not in Deus Ex). What choice did we have? We needed to salvage the mod. Then instead of being thankful we were making improvements you and your handful of fanboys went on an all out smear campaign against us. I am proud of the work we did in GMDX v10. It is true to the spirit of the original game. You are not a Deus Ex fan, you are an FPS fan first. Even worse was when you decided to shoehorn your rape fetish into the mod. Which was of course absent from the original game and completely not necessary.
Actually it's very easy to prove you stole the website, as both the v10 and v9 websites are almost identical in structure. Also you're basically admitting to stealing an entire mod without permission which is against moddb's terms of service and is the textbook definition of hypocrisy as you constantly whined about the mod using assets from other games. Your fork is filled with dumb changes made for the sake of changing things and NOT because it fits the vanilla style.

You re-added the sniper enemy on liberty island, giving the players who chose the sniper at the start a middle finger. You locked the entire perk system behind hardcore mode, which is an extremely dumb change that makes absolutely no sense. You locked medicine giving you a higher maximum torso and head health to hardcore, essentially making the game EASIER on higher difficulties which goes against the so called spirit of Deus Ex you're apparently in contact with. You reverted a lot of item descriptions back to vanilla because "they were stolen from Wikipedia." You CANNOT steal from Wikipedia! The text there is freely available for everyone to copy. You reverted a significant amount of sounds back to their terrible vanilla counterpart. You disallowed attaching clip mods to multiple weapons like the flamethrower, riot prod, GEP gun, etc just because muh realism.

The worst part? Many changes that outright go against your "Deus Ex Spirit" philosophy are still in. You literally failed at your job. There's no reason for vanilla purists to try your fork, because it's not truly pure. You're pushing a lot of the "less pure" changes to Hardcore, which is again extremely dumb and makes absolutely no sense from a design perspective. Please go make a good fork before talking about bad design.

Lord_Trashcan

Novice
Ash may have an abrasive nature to him, but he's put a ton of work into a genuinely great mod, and I'm thankful to him for that. As far as I know, the only branch really worth considering is RoSoDude's. Whatever is going on here is weird and it's a shame it's been brought to these forums. Whoever "alerted" the reddit brigade should probably be ashamed.
Where's Sarge's fork?!

Lord_Trashcan

Novice
Love you guys. We argue, we move on, until the next fight. No hard feelings. That's how it's supposed to be. I lost count the number of times someone has called me retarded on here. You're not supposed to take it to heart. And yet, certain deranged people do and if you have something they can target, like a mod, they will. It is extremely low-down disgusting sub-human behavior.

Anyway, I finally revealed the details regarding 'v10' theft and slander. Myself and RoSoDude never spoke about it publicly before because we just wanted to be left alone, these people are THAT deranged. But since they see fit to shill it here, now you know how scummy they are.
For the record, they also harassed Sarge and I on their discord server while we were asking for help on modding the game. Things got heated when they found out the mod is a GMDX fork.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
This somehow doesn't surprise me. His reaction to people on the Unreal forums politely telling him he'd packaged his mod incorrectly was exactly as expected.

They tried to give him advice and he reacted with smug superiority.

Insufferable midwit who thinks he's a genius.

You can interpret or reframe the chain of events any which way you like. The guy was condescending from the start and my patience for people on the internet is generally slim after the shit I've had to put up with.

Also, insufferable is better than creepy as fuck.
To be fair, their reaction was indeed a bit much to begin with, and you took a couple of posts to get pissed. But actually, I'm sure they already were feeling what you were about just from seeing some random guy show up claiming he's created the definitive version of Unreal. And your inevitable response is to just dismiss them because, like, nobody plays co-op, lol, nobody wants to play Unreal without Evolution, lmao, I'm a modder and I already did the work wrong so no way am I making a correction, not with that attitude I'm not!!

But so what if other modders and actual long-time fans immediately met you with complaints? You're a tough guy, it shouldn't bother you. Maybe they were right all along and you should just deal with it. I mean, why not support co-op? Why not try for maximum compatibility? You'll say otherwise, but they say otherwise too, so who's right? Couldn't you have replied something like 'Oh, I wasn't thinking about that, I wasn't planning on it, but is co-op that important?', 'I tried it, but I couldn't find any way to do it, could you explain it to me? I'm a big cry baby, so I need some help, thanks'. Of course, it's always annoying to get told 'ur doing it wrong bro >:O' but maybe u wur doing it wrong bro >:O

Jinn

Arcane
Where's Sarge's fork?!
"As far as I know," so I'm sure I'm missing some other valuable forks out there. I'm sure a lot of them are great too. But if I was going into a first or second playthrough of the mod proper, it'd be V9 or RoSoDude's.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
a lot of the default vanilla sound assets for desu ex 1 are fine, i've only seen a few games that have actually benefited from a sound mod

Ash

Arcane
To be fair, their reaction was indeed a bit much to begin with, and you took a couple of posts to get pissed. But actually, I'm sure they already were feeling what you were about just from seeing some random guy show up claiming he's created the definitive version of Unreal. And your inevitable response is to just dismiss them because, like, nobody plays co-op, lol, nobody wants to play Unreal without Evolution, lmao, I'm a modder and I already did the work wrong so no way am I making a correction, not with that attitude I'm not!!

But so what if other modders and actual long-time fans immediately met you with complaints? You're a tough guy, it shouldn't bother you. Maybe they were right all along and you should just deal with it. I mean, why not support co-op? Why not try for maximum compatibility? You'll say otherwise, but they say otherwise too, so who's right? Couldn't you have replied something like 'Oh, I wasn't thinking about that, I wasn't planning on it, but is co-op that important?', 'I tried it, but I couldn't find any way to do it, could you explain it to me? I'm a big cry baby, so I need some help, thanks'. Of course, it's always annoying to get told 'ur doing it wrong bro >:O' but maybe u wur doing it wrong bro >:O

Thanks for that miniscule amount of fairness. Didn't expect that from you. Though you proceeded it with more unfairness.

To answer your questions and explain my position regarding Unreal Evo: I simply wasn't interested in making changes for compatibility even if it were possible. That's work, work is time, and I don't care about multiplayer. Just backup the system folder to retain integrity of your install, then delete the mod when done and want to go back to multiplayer. Or, people could make forks if desired that makes it more compatible, if that is what THEY want. I simply wasn't interested in servicing any "community". Not after dealing with the last one, jesus. And not after right off the bat opening with annoying condescension. And nor should I have to. This means the mod wasn't as popular as it should have been, but oh well. Not a big deal. Hope you understand my position a bit better now instead of just judging at face value.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I admit I fucking laughed rereading " Improved Gunther, Anna & Simons bossfights, and plenty more fine tuning. " Which is code talk for: "I deleted the ability for stealth players to handle these encounters", as Anna has troops with her that make a killswitch not the whole encounter after you strive to get it. Gunther is literally locked in a room with you by a gate that can't be lockpicked or blocked with invincible decorations, and whose switch sits directly behind him so there's no cheeky way to get access without going through him, and now he has more HP and his flamethrower has double range. Very epic. Walton simons is no longer off to one side for a cinematic approach so you can run if you hurry and take some plasma splash damage in the process. He is now crammed point blank against the door out to see him, so it's extremely impractical to try and slip past him, if even consistently possible given his beefed up stats and way higher damage plasma rifle.
Anna: put a couple of teargas booby traps in the plane hallway, while she was coughing shot her right in the face with one time plasma pistol
Gunther: he hides behind the columns, I just dropped few grenades there and exploded him without even triggering the dialogue
Simons: left all the animals in the cave alive, while he was busy shooting them I blasted him in the back with a sword

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Thanks for that miniscule amount of fairness. Didn't expect that from you. Though you proceeded it with more unfairness.

I simply wasn't interested in making changes for compatibility. That's work, work is time, and I don't care about multiplayer. Just backup the system folder to retain integrity of your install, then delete the mod when done and want to go back to multiplayer. Or, people could make forks if desired. I simply wasn't interested in servicing any community. Not after dealing with the last one, jesus.
It's okay, I always knew your mods were just a form of masturbation for you. But personally, I would want to have my own mods be fully featured, not really for the sake of some community, but because it's the right thing to do, to accommodate everything that's already part of the base game. The world is already full of enough amateur devs and modders who can't be bothered to put in the work to make things work. You can give up whenever you want and tell everyone to piss off if they don't like it, but if you don't want to spend time doing work, why start any project bigger than editing your config files? This isn't some thrown-out-there, use-at-your-own-risk kind of thing, this was, for you, a big release worth hyping up. And your attitude is just 'nah fuck you faggot I don't get paid enough to do anything except what I want'. How about you release your ego instead, got a trailer for that one?

Ash

Arcane
Listen young one. Go make your own large-scale mods. After a few years report back with your experience and newly-formed wrinkles. I am not bending over for entitled gamer's demands. Zero interest, even if it would only take two hours. "Don't get paid enough for this shit" is exactly right. The passion to go all the way and appease everyone was killed. It is what it is. Modding isn't easy as it is, takes a lot of goddamn work. That doesn't mean I still don't want to show off the cool end result, either. Of course you do. Years went into it. But even the trailer was a bit half-assed. My heart was still in the design as it will always be, but nothing else. And yeah, you don't like the design. You have expressed that plenty enough even though at the time you hadn't even given it a chance and played it, so save it. May you enjoy vanilla.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Okay, now I know you're full of shit. The sawed-off shotgun is, hands down, the worst weapon in the entirety of GMDX. It's so bad that it's been consistently buffed in forks and STILL fails to reliably kill even low-level enemies at Advanced with multiple damage and accuracy mods.
I used sawed off in my aborted gunslinger build, it was quite capable if used like shotgun in Doom 3. Run right up in their face, headshot, bye

But it is not a reliable option because ammo (even with 90% headshots) runs out like a fart in the wind

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i can appreciate the time and effort that goes into making a large-scale gameplay overhaul mod, but the western modding scene has what i've personally dubbed as a 'creativity crisis' for certain game modding scenes - endless variations of people making gameplay or asset mods instead of making something actually new and meaningful, such as a mod with its own unique and different story that's actually engaging

i can understand trying to make your dream game with an already existing story, but making something that sticks with people in the form of a new story is something that'll make people remember your work fondly

Ash

Arcane
Zero interest in story mods. I am a game design enthusiast, not a storyteller, even if there can be quite a bit of overlap. It's also...well that increases the time required too. Might as well make an indie game at that point. Unless you strictly stick to text-only old school style - no voice acting, animated gestures, lip syncing etc.

If I were to make an indie game, I'd absolutely need to team up with a writer or make a game with no/minimal story, as writing isn't where my talent lies.

Ash

Arcane
a lot of the default vanilla sound assets for desu ex 1 are fine

That's true. Most of the sound changes in this mod are new sounds, e.g more diversty to footsteps based on surface, climbing ladders now have sound, the equip sound of the assault gun and assault shotgun are no longer identical, landing from height now has unique sounds, installing weapon mods and eating candy bars now has sound, reloading weapons now has a new middle stage sound instead of silent animation, there is a sound alert warning you when bioenergy is running low, and so forth. All missing interactions vanilla. If I recall, been a long while now, the only outright sound replacement is some weapon fire sounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom