Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Boleskine

Arcane

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Tempted to get the Tie Fighter stuff just for the nostalgic 90's PC gaming graphics and sound, but I know I'd never really play them. Flight sims aren't my bag even a little bit.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Tempted to get the Tie Fighter stuff just for the nostalgic 90's PC gaming graphics and sound, but I know I'd never really play them. Flight sims aren't my bag even a little bit.

At least try Tie Fighter. Amazing game. Might not age well for graphics, but the gameplay is a fine wine with a monocle screwed into the cork.

Endemic

Arcane
The engine is more flexible and lets you do some cool stuff with custom missions. Pretty good multiplayer too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
At least try Tie Fighter. Amazing game. Might not age well for graphics, but the gameplay is a fine wine with a monocle screwed into the cork.

Yeah but I'm not interested in the gameplay. It could be the best flight sim ever made and my interest would be zero. I just want to soak in the 90's PC Star Wars game ambiance. Does it have a retard mode?

Dux

Arcane
You're not interested in the gameplay? I'd recommend watching a let's play or something if that's the case.

It should be mentioned that Tie Fighter does have the option of enabling cheats in missions while still allowing campaign progression, something which the original X-Wing did not. So there's that. Cheats won't actually guarantee you beating those missions, however. Far from it. Tie Fighter, like its predecessor, can be extremely unforgiving.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Yeah but I'm not interested in the gameplay. It could be the best flight sim ever made and my interest would be zero. I just want to soak in the 90's PC Star Wars game ambiance. Does it have a retard mode?

Not really. Even for a flight sim, controls can be a bit twitchy. It's easy to overshoot objectives, run into ships, and you have to be very attentive to target switching using key commands. There's some busy work playing it.

I'd second Dux's point. Watch an LP first. Might some tutorial videos.

Naraya

Arcane
Do these games require a joystick to be enjoyable? I have a HOTAS but I don't really like playing using it plus I think it'd be an overkill for such a simple game. I vastly prefer using keyboard+mouse (finished Freespace and Freespace 2 with several fan campaigns using KBM) for the games I play.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Do these games require a joystick to be enjoyable? I have a HOTAS but I don't really like playing using it plus I think it'd be an overkill for such a simple game. I vastly prefer using keyboard+mouse (finished Freespace and Freespace 2 with several fan campaigns using KBM) for the games I play.
X-Wing: Alliance doesn't even start unless you have joystick or controller plugged in.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO HONESTLY THE MOD SCENE IS SO ACTIVE EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED IN THE LAST 2 YEARS SINCE I MODDED MINE

START WITH 1.3 UNOFFICIAL PATCH
HIRES MAPS

AND THEN GO FROM THERE

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone here played Shortest Trip to Earth?
It looks a bit like more complicated FTL, but is it worth buy?
I have played it a little. It is not as tight as FTL :
the controls are less precise, the UI is much harder to read. I felt I had more control in FTL.
I still like the game, but its predecessor was more "elegant" IMO (or maybe I burnt out on FTL and cannot play similar games with the same enthusiasm...).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Has anyone here played Shortest Trip to Earth?
It looks a bit like more complicated FTL, but is it worth buy?
I have played it a little. It is not as tight as FTL :
the controls are less precise, the UI is much harder to read. I felt I had more control in FTL.
I still like the game, but its predecessor was more "elegant" IMO (or maybe I burnt out on FTL and cannot play similar games with the same enthusiasm...).
Actually, I already bought it. I was going to buy either this or Crying Suns, but latter felt "style before substance" -affair.
Just survived 2nd sector on easier difficulty.

Seems promising so far, but as you said controls are less tight than in FTL, where timing shots according to projectile speed was a thing.
Shortest Trip to Earth seems to be more management focused (, tough some micro seems to be possible on crew fights and timing shots might help in overcoming enemy ack-ack when trying to sneak a nuke in.)
UI clutter is probably inevitable with added complexity of multi-ship combat and more complex resource management, but I've had no great difficulty with it.

Naraya

Arcane
Oh my. If you've never played it - get Freespace 2, get Knossos and play the best space sim game ever created. Original campaigns are great and some user created content is equally good (eg. Age of Aquarius).

edit: YMMV but I found flying (and especially targeting in dogfights) using joystick too imprecise so I played using KBM and had zero problems.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Playing around with GOG Galaxy 2.0...
Managed to get emulated games working with just "play" and they run preconfigured ready to play without issues.
What is more gameplay time tracking is separate for each "play" button if you set up emulators per game rather than via one folder everything. For example i added monster hunter games from 3DS and which is weird GOG galaxy games list already have them preconfigured with pictures, videos info etc. I also added Supreme Commander FAF client to keep track separately FAF from Forged Alliance. With some fucking around it is possible to keep track of gameplay time for each mod you have.

I am wondering though if this is saved on server or it is just local. Also i need to sit around and do some tagging because default genres lead you to "simulator" having no man's sky and not Forza 7.
It is also nice that you can setup bookmars via multiple filters so you don't need to have all games in some bookmarks but only for example installed.

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane
You played three whole minutes of No Man Sky, wtf is wrong with you man?

just test of adding manually games. Found nms in search and then used some random exe to link it to see if it will work for emulated games.

Problem with emulated games is that they go through emulator and if you want to track game time it would be bad as you would get gameplay time of emulator not a rom. Which is why i tested it. You do need to copy emulator with game to separate folder but it works then create shortcut that will fire up game already in emulator without going into emulator itself.

It would be nice though if they would add some manual edition of gametime, i have gameplay time tracker db with shitload of games that can't be exported to galaxy. So i can't put D2 for example with almost 1k hours in it nor mh4 with something like 300 hours in it. So basically aside from steam imported games, fresh start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom