Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG.com

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay

:retarded:

^ Top  
  2. Siobhan Arbiter

Siobhan
    Those aren't necessarily contradictory statements. Depending on one's interpretation, the second one acknowledges that licensing issues exist to varying degrees and then contends that GOG isn't particularly heartbroken about that because they no longer view this as their core product line and it gives them an easy out. Rather than going all in and trying every trick in the book, they have a few folks working on it on the side and if it works out they'll of course milk it for all its worth. Might be true, might be not, but it's perfectly compatible with what we see on the customer side.

^ Top  
  3. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    What exactly don't you understand? They ain't really interested in releasing old games so they can just pull "licensing hell" card and be done with it. That doesn't mean I'm denying titles like Raven catalogue have licensing problems, which is a fact. Isn't English your first language? You really seem to be trying to come off as super thick at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    To me saying that "licensing issues are an excuse" and "no one denies licensing is an issue" are pretty fucking contradictory, but hey what the hell do I know. In any case if you don't think GOG would love to sell NOLF and would promote it heavily like they did Star Wars Racer, I don't know what to tell you. Of course they fucking would. They can't though, and can't for others like it, so instead they focus on indies and the few AAA scraps they're allowed to have. This isn't fucking complicated, honestly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    It's not contradictory if you're not saying both situations apply to the same game. Like how some lazy worker who pushed your request to the bottom of the pile might say "oh, you know, bureaucracy" when you ask them why it's taking so long for them to answer it, knowing you'll probably accept it because bureaucracy is a real problem and a likely cause.

^ Top  
  6. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Dude, I don't know what to tell you. The fact that an issue can be a convenient excuse doesn't mean you, or anyone else, is denying the issue exists. Like when some stupid girl at a bar asks you to drive her home and you're happy to reply "I don't have a car" doesn't mean you're saying "I don't want to have a car". Why are we having this discussion? Wtf is happening here?
    Suuure, just like they can't release old-school crpgs that actually follow up on the good old games they so love, so they need to focus on animu flash games instead. Oh, wait. Or how it's completely impossible to release game from series/publishers they've already worked with and have in their catalog etc. etc. Also, stop writing stupid shit like I said it. Of course they would release NOLF (or Myth or Warlords or whatever) if it was easy and cheap. Doesn't change the fact that their current strategy is focused on modern titles with good old games as an afterthought.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think it's likely that GOG are no longer prioritizing bringing back legacy titles as much as they used to. However, it's possible that a Nightdive Studios-style operation could get additional old games released on GOG by doing their work for them. Remember, in the end all it took to bring back System Shock 2 was to actually do the work of contacting and reaching an arrangement with the insurance company that owned the rights. All those years the problem was just that nobody had bothered to get off his ass and do it. I'm sure that there are all sorts of lesser-known games that could be brought back in the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dux Erudite

Dux
    As long as it's the proper old game that's brought back and not some abomination with a HQ2x filter slapped on it.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    Both GOG and NightDive can suck an egg, just BECAUSE of SSHock 2. When the game released on GOG, it was advertised everywhere as a GOG exclusive. A few months later it came to Steam. The same shit happened with multiple other titles - releasing with "EXCLUSIVELY ON GOG" banners, then coming to Steam a little later. I've still not bought Diablo 1 on GOG because I know it will come to Steam in a couple of months.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure. The general trend seems to be that the small Nightdive-style operations whose entire business model is based on rereleasing old games quickly release their games on Steam and everywhere else. But the big publishers who have a back catalog of legacy games often release them only on GOG.

^ Top  
  11. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Why would you buy on Steam if it is available on GOG?

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    I'd give it another 2-3 months.

^ Top  
  13. Strange Fellow Criminal Lawn Forcement Patron

Strange Fellow
    I don't know about Curratum, but for me Steam is nearly always cheaper, and old games tend to be DRM-free on both platforms anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Weekly sales :

Kingdom Come, Heroes of Might and Magic, Warhammer 40k and more up to -90%

Plug In Digital and Dear Villagers Sale up to -80%

Age of Wonders, King Arthur and others up to -80%

New releases :

Craft the World - Abandoned Mines DLC

Craft the World - Bosses & Monsters DLV

Craft The World - Temples of 4 Elements DLC

( 75% off discount for the base game until November 8th, 2pm UTC. )

Mutant Football League - Brawltimore Razors DLC

( 25% off dscount for the base game until November 6th )

Pre-order :

Blacksad: Under the Skin Get the game before November 21st, 2pm UTC and receive a free copy of Yesterday Origins.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. SquidVan Learned

SquidVan
    This is actually fair but I prefer supporting GOG since they aim for more DRM-free games and that they give you a convenient little .exe that you just run and it sets up your game. No zipping up or unzipping files to save space. It's just all on that installer that I can easily download and back up with little extra steps.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yes, but I'm saying that's the focus because there's not much else in the good old games sphere for them to make a splash with. Anyway, I don't think we actually disagree much, just communication error.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    An old game for a change. Clash, an obscure turn-based strategy game from 1998, made in Poland: https://www.gog.com/game/clash?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

https://www.gog.com/news/clash_disc...e?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

• Brofist x 4
    • Interesting x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Werdna's Revenge Cipher Patron

Werdna's Revenge
    Wow, that actually does look like an intriguing little game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    They also added some translation, which confused some people wondering why they were in the Polish Games Sale
    still nothing for Dungeon Keeper 2... or Original War for that matter
    guess pepiks got too mad to come back

Clash is available, though it will be GOLEM but this suffice.
    Hope that Techland bring their old stuff there (Extermination, Chrome) and maybe start doing new games that are not about zombies?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
  25. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.