Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Mark Richard

Arcane
Face unshaven, whisky poured, and its just started raining outside. Must be time.

Blade Runner is fucking awesome, just like the movies. I can cross an entry off my list of classic computer games that should be on GOG: I still have the Discworld games, Mechwarrior 2 and 4, Countdown, Amazon: Guardians of Eden, Heavy Gear 2, Rama, Leather Goddesses of Phobos to go.

mwnn85

Savant
It's really the ScummVM folks that deserve all the praise - they've been the ones who've been working away at it for years.

Apparently they've even restored some extra bits to it.
Hopefully all the CPU timing issues and other quirks are fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
(If you're from Germany, POSTAL 1 and 2 are geolocked for you, but since both are free now, just ask a non-German user - either on the gog forum or a fellow Codexer - to get a gift code for you and you should be all set. There is no restriction on redeeming gift codes. This should work for POSTAL 2 until the 18th and permanently for POSTAL.)
You can get around the region lock by using GOG Galaxy. I'm in Germany right now and could get Postal 2 through it, and I can also buy Mortal Kombat 1-3. So, yeah, weird.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
(If you're from Germany, POSTAL 1 and 2 are geolocked for you, but since both are free now, just ask a non-German user - either on the gog forum or a fellow Codexer - to get a gift code for you and you should be all set. There is no restriction on redeeming gift codes. This should work for POSTAL 2 until the 18th and permanently for POSTAL.)
You can get around the region lock by using GOG Galaxy. I'm in Germany right now and could get Postal 2 through it, and I can also buy Mortal Kombat 1-3. So, yeah, weird.

Are you using Galaxy from a notebook? If so, the likely explanation is that Galaxy still has your home country's cookies stored on your machine, which is why the storefront from your country shows up. When buying a game, gog checks your location cookies twice: once when you go to checkout, then again when you proceed to payment. If it detects during either check that you're in another country, the purchase will fail and you're sent back to the main page. Did you go through with the Mortal Kombat purchase or were you just able to see the store page? Because normally, it would decide during either check that you've been a bad boy and reset your cookies to the German storefront (likewise, when you make another purchase from your home country, it will reset the cookies to your home country again). If you were really able to actually buy MK via Galaxy from Germany, that would be an interesting exploit.

cw8

Cipher

Alcon Interactive Group

https://www.alconent.com/aig/

Alcon Interactive Group (AIG), Alcon’s newly formed division, emerged as a natural extension of the company’s core medium of feature films. George Collins joined AIG as President along with Al Cuenca, SVP of Digital and New Media, to produce digital entertainment products rooted in internally developed and acquired properties. AIG will base their initial ventures on the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 film. The first of which is a partnership with leading virtual reality company Oculus where they will create and distribute virtual reality experiences (VRE).

Huh, so it's finally happened because the film production company behind Blade Runner 2049 also started doing video game business.

I find it extremely comforting that I do not have to give EA a single cent for GOG's Blade Runner.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you using Galaxy from a notebook? If so, the likely explanation is that Galaxy still has your home country's cookies stored on your machine, which is why the storefront from your country shows up. When buying a game, gog checks your location cookies twice: once when you go to checkout, then again when you proceed to payment. If it detects during either check that you're in another country, the purchase will fail and you're sent back to the main page. Did you go through with the Mortal Kombat purchase or were you just able to see the store page? Because normally, it would decide during either check that you've been a bad boy and reset your cookies to the German storefront (likewise, when you make another purchase from your home country, it will reset the cookies to your home country again). If you were really able to actually buy MK via Galaxy from Germany, that would be an interesting exploit.
It's on my PC. I haven't tried to buy MK because I already have them on my laptop, but I did get the Postal 2 free offer and it's in my library now.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was at work when I saw Blade Runner got released on GoG. Bought it the moment I came home and my vacation starts in few days, such great Christmas gift.

Boleskine

Arcane
GOG sent me an e-mail that I can get the remastered D&D games for 85%.

Worth it?

PwsUyue.png

mwnn85

Savant

From the first post in this thread with added emphasis...

You’ve done a man’s job, sir. I guess you’re through, huh?
Like they say - where there’s a will, there’s a way. Restoring the Blade Runner video game to its former glory required one useful tool and loads of passion for retro games. The first one came in a form of ScummVM program, previously used to emulate classic LucasArts adventure games, which currently supports many classic games available on GOG.COM. The passion came from the programmers who spend around 8 years dissecting the code from Blade Runner’s original CDs and then painstakingly putting it together again to form the digital version.

Even the installers GOG uses were made by others i.e. innosetup, mojosetup.
It's nice to see it available again but let's not get too excited about what GOG do 99% of the time.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
GOG sent me an e-mail that I can get the remastered D&D games for 85%.

Worth it?

PwsUyue.png

There are lots of reasons not to give Beamdog any money at all.

That said... I may have thrown $15 their way in an act of drunken sillyness, so someone over there can at least afford a drink at my expense. :martini:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's nice to see it available again but let's not get too excited about what GOG do 99% of the time.

GOG definitely relies on the community a lot. They have done some of their own nice work to get wonky games working though. I believe they got Shadows of the Empire working again for example, and I know for a fact it was impossible to run on Windows 7 before that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom