Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

ed20630c964413ec9b4f133991c89c4494aaaf973e1a55e038ecdf22a27c684e_1.jpg

catfood

AGAIN

Narushima

Cipher
And that's forgetting about all those cheap compilation CDs from random PC magazines, that came with dozens of demos and free games.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And that's forgetting about all those cheap compilation CDs from random PC magazines, that came with dozens of demos and free games.

From what I remember it was mostly low effort games. The sharewares were nice though. Most close to a free game,

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what I remember it was mostly low effort games. The sharewares were nice though. Most close to a free game,

Here in Greece we had a magazine that gave out several decent games for free in the cover disk, it is how i got games like Anachronox, Arcanum, TRON 2, Spellforce, Jagged Alliance 2, Bloodrayne, Call of Juarez and a bunch of others (i just flipped through a few of them i have behind me :-P). It only happened for a few years though, after the physical magazine sales started to decline because of the Internet becoming easily accessible and free gaming sites popping up everywhere.

mastroego

Arcane
Kinda nuts how many free games I have gotten over the years from GoG. These kind of things were completely unthinkable when I was a kid - free fucking games, are you mad!?
Well one has thousands of titles to pick from, I suppose developers need to get aggressive to secure new fans.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Here in Greece we had a magazine that gave out several decent games for free in the cover disk, it is how i got games like Anachronox, Arcanum, TRON 2, Spellforce, Jagged Alliance 2, Bloodrayne, Call of Juarez and a bunch of others (i just flipped through a few of them i have behind me :-P). It only happened for a few years though, after the physical magazine sales started to decline because of the Internet becoming easily accessible and free gaming sites popping up everywhere.

Some of my PC Master collection. I miss those Paraskevas Tsurinakis' reviews/articles.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I miss those Paraskevas Tsurinakis' reviews/articles.

He was a character if nothing else, though i think he was a bit overrated and it went in his head, yet his reviews often contained spoilers (something that people often complained about in the magazine's forum too) and he sometimes talked about stuff he didn't knew about or had weird takes (e.g. he complained that Shodan was female in System Shock 2 - he even claimed that he co-signed a letter about it, though i don't know if that actually happened - because he only had played the beta floppy version of System Shock 1 where Shodan was referred to as male - and IIRC he wrote that Shodan became female in System Shock 2 because Warren Spector or Ken Levine - i don't remember exactly who - put it as a condition for "returning" to work on the sequel to System Shock... and in his review for the game he always used male pronouns for Shodan :-P - and also he spoiled the game's twist).

(FWIW i ended up writing for the magazine myself years later, though it was mainly for fun to see my writing printed in paper on a magazine - in practice i barely got paid and by the time the magazine shut down they owed me several articles' worth of money)

But he had a cult following, probably because he was around the longest time in the most popular (at the time) gaming magazine in Greece... and was friends with the people behind the magazine, so they'd put up with whatever he wanted to write (e.g. i remember an issue where he wrote a big article on his vacations to Galapagos islands and the excuse for that was that it somehow reminded him of adventure games).

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
He was a character if nothing else, though i think he was a bit overrated and it went in his head, yet his reviews often contained spoilers (something that people often complained about in the magazine's forum too) and he sometimes talked about stuff he didn't knew about or had weird takes (e.g. he complained that Shodan was female in System Shock 2 - he even claimed that he co-signed a letter about it, though i don't know if that actually happened - because he only had played the beta floppy version of System Shock 1 where Shodan was referred to as male - and IIRC he wrote that Shodan became female in System Shock 2 because Warren Spector or Ken Levine - i don't remember exactly who - put it as a condition for "returning" to work on the sequel to System Shock... and in his review for the game he always used male pronouns for Shodan :-P - and also he spoiled the game's twist).

(FWIW i ended up writing for the magazine myself years later, though it was mainly for fun to see my writing printed in paper on a magazine - in practice i barely got paid and by the time the magazine shut down they owed me several articles' worth of money)

But he had a cult following, probably because he was around the longest time in the most popular (at the time) gaming magazine in Greece... and was friends with the people behind the magazine, so they'd put up with whatever he wanted to write (e.g. i remember an issue where he wrote a big article on his vacations to Galapagos islands and the excuse for that was that it somehow reminded him of adventure games).

Yeah he had some weird takes from time to time but that was one of the reasons I liked reading his reviews (even when I disagreed with him some times), and of course for his love of games like Riven. TBH I don't remember the System Shock drama.
I don't know if he was considered overrated back in the day but I would still prefer weird and useful in Tsurinakis' style reviews than the 100s of useless steam reviews about muh story and muh immersion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom