Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was curious wtf WOT was. Turns out a series of books and short-lived RPG. I uh... of course just acquired these even though I ain't part of the inner collection agencies that uh.. sort through such collections away from the corporate empire.

The shit sites worked well enough. I might pick this up. Why not? Just stack it on the hoard and then play some Atari E.T. FUCK YEAH!

Puukko

Arcane
I was curious wtf WOT was. Turns out a series of books and short-lived RPG. I uh... of course just acquired these even though I ain't part of the inner collection agencies that uh.. sort through such collections away from the corporate empire.

The shit sites worked well enough. I might pick this up. Why not? Just stack it on the hoard and then play some Atari E.T. FUCK YEAH!
I hadn't heard of Wheel of Time until maybe a month ago when one of my mutuals was talking about reading through the series at a ridiculous speed. Now I found out a game exists and as I was watching Ed's review on it, it came out on GOG... the universe is giving me signs, I think.

Eisen

Learned

I hadn't heard of Wheel of Time until maybe a month ago when one of my mutuals was talking about reading through the series at a ridiculous speed. Now I found out a game exists and as I was watching Ed's review on it, it came out on GOG... the universe is giving me signs, I think.
I was watching the gameplay one day before the Night Dive release

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Each book is practically 1k pages (well, the digital one's I found) and there are 13-14 books I believe. I typically buy used books but many of these are not on e-format that you can read on large screens. Well, purchasable e-format. I seem to find free libraries of mobi, epub, etc that can be turned into pdf. I haven't checked amazon books in a while so maybe WOT books are sold in such formats. Book or E- is dependent on my comfort.

Should one read the WOT series first then play the game? That's a lot of reading.

Codex Year of the Donut
just think of all the games GOG rejected
f6f61cbdccb3debae10d7c9f7a470019fd8a417555ba8efc1dccf0c699ed1964.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
Wish GOG would bother addressing the non-DOS versions of games, they're basically killing them because sites like myabandonware,abandonia,gamesnostalgia,etc., take down all versions despite GOG only offering a DOS download.

Have to resort to shadier sites that don't get active feedback as to whether this is a clean ROM, copy protection has been removed, etc.,

Semiurge

Cipher
True, Dragon Age Origins by very definition cannot be an old game as it is and will forever be the new shit.

Nah. If it was "new shit" forever as you say EA wouldn't have let go of it so easily. DA2 and Inquisition are still "new shit", including all the ME games.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Wish GOG would bother addressing the non-DOS versions of games, they're basically killing them because sites like myabandonware,abandonia,gamesnostalgia,etc., take down all versions despite GOG only offering a DOS download.

Have to resort to shadier sites that don't get active feedback as to whether this is a clean ROM, copy protection has been removed, etc.,

Sounds like you want GOG to put some effort towards their business.

Preposterous.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Sounds like you want GOG to put some effort towards their business.

Preposterous.

They don't even bother putting in text descriptions for their weekly sales any more. They're a step or two away from just inserting hyperlinked adjectives for their sales - like 'exciting!' 'games!' 'get it now before it's gone!' or 'I'd buy that for a dollar!'

The lack of focus on marketing and new distribution deals is probably because they're spending all their office time banning threads on their forums and figuring out a way to purge the last of the based games from their catalog.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, fucking retarded to take down non-dos/win versions when GOG/Steam doesn't offer them.
It is almost more terrifying than

NjQh0NQ.jpg

A horse of course

Porting a DOS gnome involves copy and pasting a few lines into the DOSBOX config file (assuming they couldn't steal a fanmade version). Making Windows 95/98 stuff work properly usually involves at the very least setting up and experimenting with wrappers and shit. Worse, this stuff can then break down again with newer versions of Windows or GPU drivers. Even if we live to see something like pcem reach DOS emulation levels of user-friendliness and performance, there's the legal barrier of requiring a windows licence. So GoG are always going to favour DOS stuff unless a gnome is really popular or already has reliable fan patches.

lightbane

Arcane
So, that's how low Good Old Games have fallen. And not particularly good RPGMaker games to boot, such as Omori (compared to these at least). And no Rance or Evenicle 2 for reasons.

Comte

They also pull shit that isn't even sold. Like Age Of Rifles and Buck Rogers gold box stuff.

Comte

They also pull shit that isn't even sold. Like Age Of Rifles and Buck Rogers gold box stuff.
Wasn't same also done to Spelljammer?
Is there anyway to know who is current rights holder for these games?

Yep same story. Its an annoying practice. If your gonna pull the shit at least start selling it. Classic games are a slow drip of releases meanwhile they have no problem shovelling out tons of dog shit woke indie garbage nobody buys. I wish I could see the sales numbers of that crap.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://af.gog.com/en/game/the_wheel_of_time?as=1649904300
It was a matter of time when they started messing with WoT again.

I never really played that game. I only remember the first level of it (was it in a demo or something?) from years ago and it does seem to have very high quality textures for the time.

However i decided to play it now with the GOG release and... holy shit, the game almost has Max Payne 3 levels of cutscenes - and they're quite long too. I'm not really against cutscenes in general, but it is certainly beyond what i expected from a 90s FPS(ish) game :-P. I've only played a few levels (beat the first "boss"... or at least what i guess is the first boss anyway), i wonder if they keep up the pace like that. Might explain why the cutscenes are like 5fps too since they had to fit in a 600MB CD :-P.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom