Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Gog always having sales...
Ox9Wc1p.jpg

B44mJdS.jpg

lnCOdhi.jpg

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Cossacks any good? I was looking at American Conquest + Fight Back mostly and Venom. Those and the Cossack stuffis the only items I don't own. I had no idea about Venom (a proto STALKER game in a way).

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
cossacks is a cult classic for a reason, but it's very janky. if you play it, you'll see why it's basically AOE but on crack

catfood

AGAIN
Cossacks any good? I was looking at American Conquest + Fight Back mostly and Venom. Those and the Cossack stuffis the only items I don't own. I had no idea about Venom (a proto STALKER game in a way).
It has some interesting features and it's great in multiplayer, but the single player is a pain. The campaigns are boring, poorly designed, and extremely difficult because of the cheating AI that constantly spawns units outside of the map. Actually, there's barely any AI present to speak of. I'd say it's worth a try for the unique setting and features.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like GOG decided to "pivot" (their word) towards Good Old Games again:

https://af.gog.com/en/news/gog_2022_update_3_the_future_that_comes_from_the_past?as=1649904300

Originally, GOG stood for Good Old Games. The idea for the company was born from the wish to play older games in a legal and easy-to-use way. As the classic games hold a special place in our heart, we’d like to devote more attention to highlighting them. It means that our goal is for GOG to become, once again, the best place for the classic PC games.

of course so far their first step is to just make a new tag...

But you know most of this already – so what’s next?! The newest development in the area of classics’ visibility and discoverability is the revival of Good Old Games concept. We’re starting with adding the “Good Old Game” tag, which will showcase over 500 games that our Team has deemed iconic classics – games that are older than 10 years and are critically acclaimed, stand the test of time, defined certain mechanics, or simply created new genres.

...well, hopefully they'll also try to do more on that front, like providing original versions in games that have mods, etc, preinstalled to run, add extras again that are often missing nowadays, better scans of manuals, etc. And more classic games of course.

(though TBH from a practical perspective i don't think they need to do anything massively different than what they were doing so far, it isn't like they stopped releasing old games - my issue with GOG would be about doing less of some things, like wasting less resources on things like GOG Galaxy so that they can fix their site :-P)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
or use blogs dedicated to make Win95-98 games playable on modern hardware.
Got at least 2 installers - one from certain chamber and some zombs

https://af.gog.com/en/game/the_wheel_of_time?as=1649904300
It was a matter of time when they started messing with WoT again.
Cool. As much as I don't give a shit about WoT in general I actually quite liked that game back in the day. The multiplayer was surprisingly neat too since they did some weird class based shit with it as I recall. That was one of the few games I never managed to lasso people into playing at LAN parties and shit which always felt like a shame since the few times I played it with a handful of people it was sorta neat.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm surprised at how many people are complaining about this, considering they'll probably just pirate the GOG version anyway.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom