Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm….. so much brown eh?

The game is fine but I swore I got this somewhere else for free and I don’t recall where. Maybe dev site or a link I’m forgetting. It was when I was looking for remastered King’s Quest. Oh well, it increases my GOG library.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Universe-trilogy is out on GOG?

I only heard bits and pieces about these games back in the day. They were so huge that people had trouble figuring out what to do in them. Imagine Star Control 2's starmap, only a hundred times bigger.

Another problem back in the day was that so few people played them, especially in Europe. Hopefully the Yanks took a better liking to them.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And yesterday they were ALL abandonware before noon. I forgot to snag Universe 1-2. Of course they blighted and blotted out the other platform downloads. Raping your wallet abandonware style with a huge install frontend. YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!
kermit-panicking.gif

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Can anyone tell me what is Paladin
You would know this if you'd bothered to play Ultima 9.
Basically, Paladin 1 & 2 is a fantasy version of Breach. I believe you can import paladin 1 & breach 2 saves/forces to Paladin 2. I’m not sure on GOG release though. If so, probably with great difficulty.
Interesting.
I thought importing worked between Rules of Engagement and Breach 2, for spaceship fight/ boarding combo.
Hard to imagine what context Paladin to Breach conversion would have.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe it is ROE to Breach. I’ll check the manual again. On another note: I am trying to find a video on Universe 1 where they at least get past creation of character and ship and do something. I’d like a video of Universe 1-3 evolution of the game. Note that hefty manual for U1-2 vs that meager pamphlet for U3.

Ah! Back cover.
4924800-paladin-ii-dos-back-cover.jpg

ROE 2 back
4019040-rules-of-engagement-2-dos-back-cover.jpg

BREACH 3
3927259-breach-3-dos-back-cover.jpg

This Omnitrends interlocking game system looks interesting. Not sure on how you’d map out which game to play first. Breach 2 isn’t specific on which Omnitrend game it “interfaces” with on the back cover.

3926857-breach-2-dos-back-cover.jpg

From Breach 2 Manual:
Playing With Other IGS Products
Interlocking Game System (IGS) is a unique method of allowing separate games to combine with one another to form one huge game. Breach 2 is able to be entered by other Om-
THE SCENARIO

THE SCENARIO
nitrend IGS games as though they were all one big game. This means your role playing character (in the case of Breach 2 the Squad Leader) can adventure through many games . Breach 2 scenarios can be part of a surface attack in one game or a spaceship boarding sequence in another .
Breach 2 is a non-controlling module , meaning it will · be run automatically by another IGS program . Check with your dealer or contact Mindcraft for information about other games that are part of the IGS system.

Minecraft? Didn’t they put out say… The Magic Candle? Lol, I can’t see Magic Candle characters entering breach 2 to Paladin 2 to ROE 2 to Breach 3 but that’s be interesting to say the least.

Edit —-
“from GOG forum” said:
XYCat: is rules of engagement a star trek knockoff? :
It's a detailed starship combat simulator that uses a UI similar to the LCARS System from Star Trek, but it's not related to Star Trek at all. It's excellent, though, if you're looking for brutal, detailed capital ship combat.

Gudadantza: Just one thing about the interlocking feature. If I am not wrong both Rules of Engagement games can interlock with Breach 2, according with the game page and other info I found in different places. Can anybody give more light about it to be really sure?
So, RoE 2 would be "interlockable" with Breach 2 and 3?

EDIT: Indeed According with the back cover of the original game It interlocks with both Breach 2 and Breach 3

https://www.mobygames.com/game/8089/rules-of-engagement-2/cover/group-8100/cover-17693/
Yeah, ROE1 works with Breach 2 only, but ROE2 works with either Breach 2 or 3. It's confusing as hell.
GOG FORUM

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You best have sone patience for Universe. Looking at the apple II video made me wonder if Ripley from aliens looked at this same screen a lot:

But you want DOS!! Right?

It is like no one can stomach playing or has the patience. Dunno.

Lucumo

Educated
"The Original RPG Maker"

...except for the RPG-making things that came out before that...what an idiot.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I have no real idea about the series, except I think they're not CRPGs, but the weird thing I found way back when I first looked up Universe, was that about midway through the series switches from a space trader/whatever to an adventure game. Thought it was intriguing, but could never muster up the time to play some 100 hour long space game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
None of these games have entries in felipepepe's CRPG book.
The book has around 400 RPGs, while there's at least 4,000 RPGs released even before the Steam flood. It's just impossible to cover everything, and the Paladin games really aren't very noteworthy... Adventure Construction Set was published years before Paladin 1 and was far more complex and influential. And FRUA came out just after Paladin 2...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
"The Original RPG Maker"

...except for the RPG-making things that came out before that...what an idiot.
Yeah, it is like he never heard of ACS or the like. To my knowledge ACS may be the first but I think there might be some older ones.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
None of these games have entries in felipepepe's CRPG book.
The book has around 400 RPGs, while there's at least 4,000 RPGs released even before the Steam flood. It's just impossible to cover everything, and the Paladin games really aren't very noteworthy... Adventure Construction Set was published years before Paladin 1 and was far more complex and influential. And FRUA came out just after Paladin 2...
I just made an observation.
Crossplay between Omnitrend games is somewhat interesting "evolutionary dead end" for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom