Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah but what if you are playing wads and not the original.

Curratum

Anyone who moans about source ports not being 100% faithful to the vanilla game is a fucking autist. The only reason you are still playing those games are the source ports.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If Heretic wads are endangered species then Hexen ones are truly on the brink of extinction. Unfortunately the scarcity does not mean there are that many that are any good. I've tried a few of them (and what's probably half of them...) since finishing my Hexen replay.

Scourge of Viscerus (viscerus.pk3 2010) Matt Tropiano (MTrop)
This one has a lot of cool ideas. It's for ZDoom so has proper room-over-room 3D. The new mini-bosses are interesting variations on a theme and are fun to fight. The last level gets pretty trippy and the final arena makes for a very cool fight. The levels are large and non-linear... and unfortunately this is also the wad's biggest problem. There are many quest items to pick up, and while the "primary" ones are well defined (ie you will know if you're missing one) the "secondary" ones are not, even though they are also critical. I never found one of the Hearts, and after half an hour of running around trying to find where it could possibly be, not even knowing which map it was on, I just gave up and cheated it in. The level design is ok for one-time visits, but it really does not lend itself well to having to retread to find something you missed.

Shadows of Cronos (kaiser_28.wad 2014) Samuel Villarreal (Kaiser)
Kaiser may have done a lot for the Doom community, but this is not his magnum opus. By his own admission he had no motivation towards the end and rushed it to just to get it finished. It's actually pretty good in parts, especially earlier on, but it then starts suffering from the exact thing that the original Hexen inaccurately gets accused of: puzzles get obscure and obtuse and you end up with either no idea where to go next, or you traipse back and forth for a LOT of backtracking (astonishingly, the OneManDoom review claims that this wad has less backtracking than Hexen and that it puts you "right where you need to be" most of the time; makes me wonder if we were playing the same things). It also has some nasty gotchas, including with the first Heart you find (you can jump to it quite easily, enough to think that's what you're supposed to do, and then spend a LOT of time trying to jump back when the jump is completely one-way due to the angles of the walls). I wasn't hugely fond of the wad ultimately. I guess it got the Cacoward for the sheer novelty of a Hexen hub that's actually at least trying to be like the original, and with how scarce this is maybe it's worth a try.

Curse of the lost gods (curse2.pk3 2017) Kristian Kall (Kristus)
Oddly this is called Curse of the demon lord on the TITLEPIC.
This is a beautiful wad. I can't stress how pretty the levels look and how fantastic the architecture is, with some truly amazing care put into some of the small details. Unfortunately the gameplay is really not up to par. The very first level throws a couple hundred enemies at you, including tons of Slaughtaurs and Bishops and Afrits in large open areas... and only your starting weapon. Kristus claims he wanted artifacts to get more use, but that doesn't mean much when the only one that can actually do any damage is the flechette. Otherwise you just spend your time running around these open areas trying to dodge dozens of projectiles at a time while you find where he's hidden the switches, which isn't exactly my idea of how Hexen should play. The fighter can probably ignore the flyers and quickly kill things on the ground, the mage can manage well if you have the patience, but I can't imagine going through this as a cleric, trying to painstakingly kill enemies one at a time with the flechette-disc of repulsion combo. MAP02 is a bit better once you get more firepower (annoyingly, you'll max out your mana before you even get the weapon) but the puzzles also get more obtuse, and I got tired of all the backtracking. MAP03 I just gave up on, after getting stuck and having to retread the immense level trying to find a hidden switch that I must've missed. It's also the last one made before Kristus abandoned the project. Take a peek if you want to look at beautiful levels, but don't expect much from the gameplay.

Necrosis (necrosis.wad 2009) Chris Oliveri (CodenniumRed)
This one is weird. It has pretty much the same plot premise as the above but it plays nothing like it. In fact it plays almost nothing like Hexen. There are 2 new weapons for each class. Some enemies imported straight back from Heretic, a few from some community resources. Levels are strictly linear, both within each level and in level-to-level progression (no hub). In fact, aside from the ability to pick a class, it plays almost exactly like Heretic. Just to reinforce this point the music is lifted almost wholesale from there, with the much faster pacing than Hexen's fitting the actual gameplay better too. I just wasn't a huge fan of the new weapons; they still use the same 2 types of mana, and with how the originals are balanced I rarely had any reason to switch. The whole thing is pretty quick playing, and the final boss is hilariously easy since you get a new 4th weapon that, when powered up (yes, the Tome of Power is back and so is its effect for old and new weapons) makes you practically invincible. If you always wanted the Hexen classes with Heretic gameplay this might be for you, but I wasn't hugely impressed.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Blade of Agony 3.0 was removed from Moddb due to some people having issues with some content

After @madame-rachelle has posted this issue #782 and after we've discussed a lot of things in there, I guess it's about time to create a list of things that we need to take care of for an upcoming reworked 3.1 release that covers these things.

• Rename "Randy Heit" to a different name not connected to Marisa Heit
Unchecked since we need to replace the identifiers in the CSV and on INTERMAP in DIALOGUE. Also Ctrl+F "Randi"/"Randy" on the github repository gives 3 results. --N00b

• Replacing "Genocide" with a less 40's connected term ("Carnage")
  • Replacing "Final Solution" with a less problematic term ("Final Strike", maybe there is something more fitting)
  • Rename camp prisoners which have jewish names to something more generic (as far as I can see this has already been done, can the one who took care of it confirm?)
  • Replace realistic footage from the projector that directly come from real concentration camp photos
  • Replace Piper Perri easter egg wall image
  • Change the World Exhibition content in C1M5 Paris and remove all anti-semitic Nazi propaganda
  • Make the female boss breasts not pop out when she dies (@DoomJedi, it's only one frame afaik)
  • Rename "Master Race" difficulty setting
  • Rename "League of German Girls" difficulty setting (taken care of, "Warming-Up" now)
  • Remove unused sexualized gore sprites
  • Renaming "Concentration Camps" into "Prison Camps"
Please add what hasn't been mentioned yet, feel free to suggest changes.

Remove unused sexualized gore sprites
:hmmm:

Curratum

Just for clarification, Madame Rachelle is the trans person currently running the show and in control of ZDoom's site and forums. Randi Heit is ZDoom's original creator, now a trans person as well, under the name of Marisa Heit.

lightbane

Arcane
Damn it, I wanted to play this shit to see how it looks. I suppose the alphabet soup brigade couldn't resist even when it's their own side doing the thing.
It sure took them YEARS to notice this mod is a thing.

lightbane

Arcane

This is the video of UNUSED sprites in question. Sadly I can't see because no way in hell I'll send personal info to Youtube to see a "mature" video. When did they become so malicious? Is there a way to get around that stupid check?
Either way, the comments of the video for once are actually logical.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just for clarification, Madame Rachelle is the trans person currently running the show and in control of ZDoom's site and forums. Randi Heit is ZDoom's original creator, now a trans person as well, under the name of Marisa Heit.
This is why you don't allow or tolerate troons in your communities.

lightbane

Arcane
Watched the video. Nothing new under the sun, and I've seen worse. Ie: The victims of the Butcher in Diablo 1. But nowadays some kinds of people are offended 24/7, especially troons, who need someone to blame to avoid killing themselves.

For good or bad, Tormentor has been perma-banned from Doomworld because his answers were unsurprisingly edgy and not appropiate, and because he didn't want to "redeem" himself.

EDIT: It's even sadder.
The mod is no longer available in the main page, and there's a new message (or at least it stands out more than before).
Blade of Agony is a fictional scenario based on the alternative narratives of the Wolfenstein game series by id software and Bethesda and the corresponding canon. It does not represent accurate history, our political stance or thinking of the development team. We reject any form of racial hatred, discrimination, (Neo-)Nazism, anti-Semitism or glorification of the Second World War.

Derp.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Whiny cunts ruining fun for everyone else, nothing new.

Just for clarification, Madame Rachelle is the tranny abomination currently running the show and in control of ZDoom's site and forums. Randi Heit is ZDoom's original creator, now a tranny abomination as well, under the name of Marisa Heit.

Fixed

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
That sort of person really craves power of any type...

Such a strange thing to be so involved in for an aspirational chick though.

lightbane

Arcane
This is why you don't allow or tolerate troons in your communities.

What do you do when they started normal, but one day some malevolent soul convinced them that cutting their dicks was a good idea?

That sort of person really craves power of any type...

Such a strange thing to be so involved in for an aspirational chick though.
The woke brigade ALWAYS crave power and attention.

The mod is no longer available in the main page, and there's a new message (or at least it stands out more than before).

Blade of Agony is a fictional scenario based on the alternative narratives of the Wolfenstein game series by id software and Bethesda and the corresponding canon. It does not represent accurate history, our political stance or thinking of the development team. We reject any form of racial hatred, discrimination, (Neo-)Nazism, anti-Semitism or glorification of the Second World War.

Derp.
It must suck for those that paid RL money for their Patreon.
Does someone have downloaded the files to pass them around before the mod is inevitably sanitized?

Curratum

The censorship is of stuff that is stuck all the way up in secrets you'll likely never see in all your time with the entire game...

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel really bad for poor old Doom Jedi, one of the developers of the mod. This isn't the first time he's been under attack for this. These people really shouldn't have to deal with this shit over and over again.

In addition to NinjaDestroyer's link, here's another one that contains some of the old demos.

mogwaimon

Magister

for a demographic that's supposed to be like 0.1% of the population there sure seems to be a growing number of these sorts of people in influential positions

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I was going to play Blade of Agony and actually downloaded it about 3 days ago and was just waiting to correct a framerate drop issue I had by switching from OpenGL to Vulkan but I'm kind of disgusted with the fairly extensive politically correct changes. When you add it all up, it's almost as bad as the Commandos 2 remaster nixing swastikas. Fiuck BoA. The Nazis (and those, past and present, that follow their ideologies) were cunts and we shouldn't forget that. Next they'll be destroying all prints of The Producers. It's ridiculous.

Curratum

Many of your favorite modern-day Doom maps are made by trans people as well, whether you realize it or not.

"Sarah Mancuso (alias esselfortium) is an American Doom level designer, texture artist, and musician.
She is best known as the lead developer of the Back to Saturn X series."

"Marisa Kirisame is a Spanish Doom level designer and scripter, known for the Soundless Mound map which won the Doom Mapping Contest II: Hellectric Boogaloo. She is also a moderator of the ZDoom forums, and in addition contributes occasionally to the development of GZDoom, focusing on extensions to its scripting features. In 2019, Marisa Kirisame joined the team which compiled that year's Cacowards, covering the gameplay mod section in TerminusEst13's stead."

"Alexa Jones-Gonzales (alias Remilia Scarlet, previously YukiRaven or Yukib1t) is an American Doom level designer. Her maps are known to blend Doom and Quake design sensibilities. Her mapset Shadows of the Nightmare Realm received a Cacoward in 2017. She has subsequently received runner-up mentions for Umbra of Fate in 2018 and Freaky Panties 2: Boxers or Briefs in 2020."

As seen on the Doom wiki, and those are just three of the biggest names that immediately come to mind.

And of course, Randi, now Marisa Heit, who created the ZDoom sourceport in the first place.

What can you do, alternative sexuality people tend to be more creative than the average person, whether you like it or not. I just stopped dealing with the community in general and have distanced myself from it all, because even back in the days of IRC before Discord, the live chat was a bottomless pit of weirdos, furries and everything else you can think of.

lightbane

Arcane
What can you do, alternative sexuality people tend to be more creative than the average person, whether you like it or not
Citation needed. They were creative for sure when they were normal. Afterwards? It depends IMO. Troons are by default likely to have overreactions at the slightest thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if at some point one or more of them deletes everything in a fit of rage (nevermind if they off themselves). That's a standard modder drama behavior, now include troonism lunacy in the mix.

As for Tormentor, even if he wanted to distance himself from these crazies, he has to answer if they start talking shit lest they blackwash his product, since it's seen by the gaming press in the BOA webpage.
Funny that in the doomworld drama thread, Sarge IV has the nerve to lecture the modders about including inappropriate content.

It's sad that many (weak) guys have been brainwashed and convinced that becoming a woman will totally solve all of their issues.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I still greatly respect Doomworlders for their creative output and the impact their WADs personally had on me but people over there are batshit insane these days... Some people are still cool though.

Curratum

The thing is, at the end of the day, you just never approach the community and just use any content you like. That's the only sane attitude.

Tormentor has heaps of problems as a modder too, even if they're not related to his sexuality. Everyone has an ego the size of a mountain, and of course the trans people can't stop talking about social issues, and of course everyone in the discord and forum and so on just tries to play nice with them because they will outright ban you if you don't, but then again, why do you want to stay in a community where you have to lick anyone's ass in the first place, trans or not...

Just ugh, just play some games and never deal with the people behind them, ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom