Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Good Old Games Relaunching

Elzair

Cipher
Brother None said:
Yeah, it's not like they murdered puppies.

Pointless excuses are pointless. Digital download is a sales service. That's about trust. If people feel they can't trust GOG anymore, any amount of people, that's screwed up.

What does trust have to do with this? The only thing you have to trust is that GOG will not sell your information to identity thieves (and if you use Paypal you don't even have to do that).

To all the haters out there, is there something about DRM FREE that you are not understanding? YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING TRUST GOG FOR JACK SHIT!! Buying from GOG is a lot more like buying from a brick-and-mortars store. Do I care if the piss-ant little GameStop wannabe I bought my last game from is around next month? Fuck no; I don't need to! Just keep a back-up of all your installers, and everything is hunky-dory.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elzair said:
To all the haters out there, is there something about DRM FREE that you are not understanding? YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCKING TRUST GOG FOR JACK SHIT!! Buying from GOG is a lot more like buying from a brick-and-mortars store. Do I care if the piss-ant little GameStop wannabe I bought my last game from is around next month? Fuck no; I don't need to! Just keep a back-up of all your installers, and everything is hunky-dory.

*reads*

*re-reads*

Wow.

Just...

Man, obtuse is one thing, but...wow.

Excidium said:
I never bought anything from gog, but I guess that whole marketing stunt is working pretty favorably for them, as it's the current talk on a lot of gaming boards.

Bad publicity is publicity anyway, right?

Pretty much. This has been hella exposed and Baldur's Gate is a big title, so it's easy to see this working out for them.

Well, Id like to say "successful troll is successful", but I think you guys kinda got ahead of yourselves.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 62#1325162

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

Technically, they didn't lie :smug:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Making people aware that their digital download purchases are up in smoke should GoG fold is a great publicity stunt. Should work out as well as their screen door fitted submarine.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
I know perfectly fine what you mean, but goddamn, you can't tell me that all those superraging reactions aren't exaggerated as shit.
Stupid marketing stunt is stupid.

Stupid marketing stunt that leaves you without a service you paid for for 4 days... sure you can go on for as long as you want with the "WHY SO ANGRY ONLY FOUR DAYS!" rhetoric, but it doesn't change the fact that a service you paid for was taken away for four days FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

It's not so much about the service being taken away so much as the reason for it is so mind-numbingly disrespectful of customers.

If I walk into my favorite shop and the manager comes out to greet me then sprays some washable filth on my trousers because he thinks it's funny and will generate some buzz for his shop it will change absolutely nothing to the order of my life. I have other trousers I can wear while this one's in the washing machine (and it's not as if it wasn't going to get washed anyway). Doesn't change the fact that I would never step into that shop again. Maybe poles view these things differently.

Ausir

Arcane
Excidium said:
That's correct, Atari owns all rights for D&D Video games. NWN and BG series included.

Well, at least the ones from Interplay onwards. It probably doesn't own the older ones, like the Gold Box series.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Excidium said:
I never bought anything from gog, but I guess that whole marketing stunt is working pretty favorably for them, as it's the current talk on a lot of gaming boards.

Bad publicity is publicity anyway, right?

Any publicity is good publicity might work for hollywood celebutantes, but in a service related industry? Not always. For example, a restaurant being written up in the news for a suspicious rash of food poisonings, or a company's toy being recalled for violating safety codes. In a service industry, bad publicity tarnishes the reputation of service providers (often permanently) in the minds of the public.

Ausir

Arcane
latexmonkeys said:
Any publicity is good publicity might work for hollywood celebutantes, but in a service related industry? Not always. For example, a restaurant being written up in the news for a suspicious rash of food poisonings, or a company's toy being recalled for violating safety codes. In a service industry, bad publicity tarnishes the reputation of service providers (often permanently) in the minds of the public.

Yeah, but still, I think in this case the publicity they got could have been better than the outrage the stunt caused. And for many people Baldur's Gate sweetened the whole thing. So while I think the stunt was silly, I still think they will benefit from it in the end.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Insert your apologizers in the bottom of your anuses, you bunch of retarded assclowns.

Keep releasing your shit, though. Installing your torrents is indeed more convenient. :smug:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great, now people can continue to pay for former free abandonware games with dosbox configs
-OMG it's so easy nao that I don't have to do difficult stuff liek throwing the gaem exe into the dosbox window !

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
That's correct, Atari owns all rights for D&D Video games. NWN and BG series included.

Where are you getting this information? Last I heard Atari and Hasbro had not settled their differences over (Newer) D&D rights.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yip, like I said, Atari and WotC/Hasbro. GOG makes mentions of having to deal with Hasbro too. Those are your trade partners, and them not liking each other is exactly why republishing these titles is so hard.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Excidium said:

Where are you getting this information? Last I heard Atari and Hasbro had not settled their differences over (Newer) D&D rights.

I thought they were still in a impasse of sorts regarding the D&D license like was the recurring news last year, but recently Atari announced a NWN MMO to be released next year, so I guess it got settled.

Brother None said:
Yip, like I said, Atari and WotC/Hasbro. GOG makes mentions of having to deal with Hasbro too. Those are your trade partners, and them not liking each other is exactly why republishing these titles is so hard.

Ah I see, well it would be a lot better if Atari just lost the rights to publish D&D games...it's not like we need another shitty D&D MMO.

Ruprekt

Scholar
ghostdog said:
Great, now people can continue to pay for former free abandonware games with dosbox configs
-OMG it's so easy nao that I don't have to do difficult stuff liek throwing the gaem exe into the dosbox window !

Pretty much, but in some cases GoG do have 'exclusives' like the divine divinity widescreen fixes. I don't mind paying for those given that they are workign with the original developer (e.g. larian).

Ausir

Arcane
Ah I see, well it would be a lot better if Atari just lost the rights to publish D&D games...it's not like we need another shitty D&D MMO.

Well, it's not really an MMO. It's just like the NWN multiplayer mode without the singleplayer part.

Bruticis

Jaesun said:
Will there be some newer games besides Baldur's Gate/TotSC?

I would assume as the latest video (on gog.com) says they've teamed up with Atari AND Hasbro and BG is just the beginning.

BTW, why do they both looked stoned and hung over in the videos?

Silellak

Cipher
Sceptic said:
Darth Roxor said:
I know perfectly fine what you mean, but goddamn, you can't tell me that all those superraging reactions aren't exaggerated as shit.
Stupid marketing stunt is stupid.

Stupid marketing stunt that leaves you without a service you paid for for 4 days... sure you can go on for as long as you want with the "WHY SO ANGRY ONLY FOUR DAYS!" rhetoric, but it doesn't change the fact that a service you paid for was taken away for four days FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.
Not to defend them, but I was under the impression the service was going down for a few days anyway, so they could add new features and games. They just decided to make a big deal out of it and pretend to shut down so they could get some free publicity in the meantime.

Well, at least BG is a Windows game and not a 'take 5 minutes to set up dos box and away you go' game. Windows games are usually the games that give me the most trouble to get going (Win95/98 games that is).

As for the stunt...Poland, Poland never changes :salute:

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Brother None said:
I think you might have missed the point of a reputation of reliability being your most important asset as a digital download service, Darth Roxanne.

Reliability is not the most important service, since it can never be guaranteed fully.

The ability to back up and use the games even if the service ceases to exist is the most important asset, at least from the customer's perspective.

And that's still in place. Sure, it was a stupid stunt, but so what? That affects the customer how?

Darth Roxor said:
They can't trust them anymore...

...because nothing has changed.

:retarded:

Exactly.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They could have as easily pulled the stunt while still allowing customers to download their games. That is what makes their trolling really shitty.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
They're almost (but not quite) offering a valuable service with that BG deal.

6 CDs is really a bit much to keep track of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom