Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Quake maps

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just bought this from a key store for $3.33. Woo hoo! Haven't played it in years but with all the new mods, updates and enhancements out it's about time I do. No, the modding community is nowhere near as developed or as great as that for Doom, but I figure that since I last played Quake around 15-20 years ago, there must be at least some mods on a par with good Doom user-made pwads. Now I just hope I don't get physically ill playing at 120 FPS on a 65" screen. If God meant for man to play FPSs at those speeds and screens that size he would have given him VR panels built right into his eyeballs.
Not a big fan of it but Arcane dimensions is the most popular map pack:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/arcane-dimensions
Yeah, I just downloaded that along with all the Add-On maps available in the menu from Bethesda (ie Honey, Punishment Due, Underdark, etc). Might play Sigil first as a warm up for a few marathon Quake sessions. I think reading John's Doom Guy put me in the mood for all this shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started playing Peril. Holy shit, this is... both great and terrible at the same time?

- you play as an anime girl (just why?)
- maps are MASSIVE, so big they stutter on my aging PC
- maps are incredibly open, there's a ton to explore and discover
- some areas of the map are quite empty and lack detail
- you often don't know where to go so all you can do is explore the massive map until you find the right key

It's overambitious and underpolished, but there's still something impressive about it. When the level architecture is good, it's good - but you also have to deal with vast swathes of empty filler areas.
I'm enjoying it for the sheer ambition, but it's the roughest Quake map pack I played yet.

toughasnails

Peril is fuckin' RAW for sure, but...
Strongest point about it is that it is properly adventurous, you never know what the next map brings nor what you'll encounter within any given map or indeed how you will traverse it from one point to another. And all the while it tries to be a coherent journey across its entire enormous length. This is what I wrote about the third map elsewhere on this forum:
The map I'm on right now starts you on a prison island which you escape via boat and then it has you sailing thru fog for a while, encountering a pirate ship and a haunted derelict, then arriving on another island with a looming cliffside fortification, deserted church and graveyard on top and huge network of dungeons and tunnels bellow its surface.
Also, looking at the whole thing, it's like a blast from the past mixed with the penchant for excess that you see in some of contemporary Quake mapping. I watched one youtuber review AWOL, a standalone Build engine TC, recently. I often disagree with the guy but one this that struck me in his review is that he said how the standards for retro FPS modding changed, how AWOL would have been greeted as a cool mod 15 or 20 years ago but today it just doesn't cut the mustard. And yeah, looking how many projects turned commercial, how major non-commercial projects are still incredibly slick (see Ashes for GZDoom), how many mappers are actually employed in the industry, in Quake's case how often the maps produced by veteran mappers feel incredibly polished and in some cases almost as if one is exploring a virtual art installation (I recently found out that one prominent Quake mapper actually teaches architecture at an university ffs). Peril on the other hand feels like it comes from a different age of maybe GoldSrc or such modding spaces, when you had sole inexperienced authors or small teams creating incredibly huge and ambitious stuff that was often rough af, indiscriminately borrowed assets from all sorts of places, but also offered the sort of raw creativity you couldn't hope to see in commercial projects.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
What I like about Peril is that it has soul. It's janky as fuck, but it clearly is a passion project made by someone with a vision.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's a little ironic that I just bought the game on Steam with all the "enhancements" yet I'm using a third-party source port called Ironwail because it detects all the mods in my Quake Steam folder and supposedly is the fastest source port for Quake + fixes physics bugs for those who want to play over 76 FPS. Looks a little ugly and pixelly but hey, HD texture packs are for girly men who like things too pretty. Great topic here to find recommendations.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just finished playing the original Quake, having last played it around 1996/1997, and I'm ready to tackle some mods now. One of my favorite moments from Quake is in episode 4 where you come across the spawning ground of the- well, spawns! I consider these little bastards the toughest enemies in the game due to being so hard to hit once they spring from their egg-state. So you're suddenly confronted at the end of a corridor by an entire room filled with these nightmare blue blobules ready to jump. How will I ever survive? But wait! I'll just fill the room with grenades from a safe distance at the beginning of this corridor and that'll learn em! Then suddenly the wall behind you starts sliding towards you, trapping and pushing you towards the spawn nest. Bless Sandy Petersen and his evil traps. Are there any mods that have tons of brutal (but fair) traps like that? Deadly traps frequently frustrate players but I find them hilarious and fun, even if I have to reload 10 times.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though I've been checking out the first few minutes of various mods like Alkaline and have been suitably impressed, I finished my first Quake mod today, a single-player map called Crack in the Sky about Castles in the Sky. It was tight and didn't overstay its welcome. I always select Hard difficulty since I fear Nightmare will result in respawning enemies and not-so-respawning ammo and then you're up the creek facing tons more Quake baddies and you're armed with nothing but your pork sword in hand. It's probably one of the lesser Quake mods but yet if this is lesser it's still pretty fun. Can't wait to play the good stuff. Feels good, man.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just finished Grendel's Blade. Overall great AD map but I wish end-map boss fights were a little more than having one or two Dark Ones way up on pillars and their various impy flying minions throwing mage-balls at you. But hey, it's free. The Mire had a more lively, better crafted end-fight with the two necromancers up close and personal to you, reading tomes and summoning what seemed like an endless supply of Lost Souls. It brought me cool Heretic flashback chills. Having fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It's probably one of the lesser Quake mods but yet if this is lesser it's still pretty fun. Can't wait to play the good stuff. Feels good, man.
Honestly it's hard to make a bad Quake map due to how solid the foundation is. Quake may not have as many fancy gimmick things compared to its contemporaries (Duke had a shrink gun, Blood a spray can flamethrower, etc) but everything just works. Weapons are solid, enemies are solid, now you just need to combine it all with decent level architecture.

There's a bunch of map jams that are a little more mixed bag, but even the lesser maps are good fun for a playthrough.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's probably one of the lesser Quake mods but yet if this is lesser it's still pretty fun. Can't wait to play the good stuff. Feels good, man.
Honestly it's hard to make a bad Quake map due to how solid the foundation is.
Rock solid. Using the modern source port Ironwail, I've never played a FPS that was so fast and smooth and it's an absolute joy. I had to take a break to recoup my energy while playing The Necromancer's Keep in AD. This thing is just so intense - from falling into bloody pits filled with constantly moving buzz saws you have to dodge while having to fight a vore to falling into another trap where you have to simultaneously fight FOUR vores that are all giving birth to their hungry baby vores looking for nourishment - it's probably the best FPS experience I've ever had. In fact, I played a little of Elementalism yesterday, considered by some to be the Arcane Dimensions of Doom wads, and it played like dookie through a funnel compared to Quake on a modern source port. Couldn't wait to get back to AD.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, skyboxes certainly have come a long way since the days of Doom 1, eh? I can practically smell the deadly sulfuric gas from that volcano, feel its heat. From Oxyblack Fortress by Heresy (who does very good maps if a bit overlong, with a tendency to include both switch puzzles and jumping puzzles... at the same time... timed!)

0ldQp6S.jpg

Ash

Arcane
image.png

LOVED this custom map. Perhaps one of my top 5.

'Dagger of Xian' by Ish. Tomb Raider 2-inspired. The mapper captures Tomb Raider level design nicely: plenty exploration, traps, platforming & puzzle elements. Combat encounters were pretty good too but perhaps could have had a little more focus...but as-is even this aspect is in Tomb Raider spirit. All this map truly needed was some atmospheric custom music and new ambient sound effects and we'd have Quake Raider fully envisioned. If anyone is heavily involved in the mapping community, propose a "Dagger of Xian" Tomb Raider-inspired design as seen here for a new map jam base concept/theme. That would be awesome.

Even more surprising is it is from sm193 (a speedmapping map pack), https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/sm193_pack.html
Speedmapping, which is an absolutely retarded concept (making maps in a very short timeframe, which is obviously antithetical to quality), yet something must have went against the speedmapping norm with this pack because these are very high quality maps, far superior to other speedmaps, and clearly not made in a short timeframe. I stumbled upon gold. There are some very good maps in this pack. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I sometimes confuse the terms "speedmapping" with "speedrunning". At any rate, I avoid downloading maps with either of these terms in the description unless I get a specific recommendation from a quakebro, ya know? :obviously:

Ash

Arcane
:obviously:

I only started downloading speedmaps here and there because I've played damn near everything else that is compatible with my mod lol. Even three star-rated OK stuff. No more Quake for me for a long time into the future now.

Gotta give the community props, there's tons of great mapping done over the decades.

Last edited:

toughasnails

Speedmap jams are sometimes a good way to find more old fashioned stuff. So map sizes and monster counts more in line with the OG maps or smaller, specific themes combined with strict limits also leading to more OG Quake-like visuals.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I really go big (or go home) with collecting recommended Quake maps from the community, and have about 50 map packs. But I think I finally burnt myself out after Altar of Storms (which has unique, fast moving, impressive Dawn of the Dead 2004/28 Days Later-type zombies... why don't other map makers do this?) and will probably take a break for a while too. You can overfeed yourself when the food is so great and end up a sloth-like, pre-diabetic slug (metaphorically speaking of course) but I'll come back to it someday. There will be 50 nutrient-rich maps/map packs waiting when I do.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I really go big (or go home) with collecting recommended Quake maps from the community, and have about 50 map packs. But I think I finally burnt myself out after Altar of Storms (which has unique, fast moving, impressive Dawn of the Dead 2004/28 Days Later-type zombies... why don't other map makers do this?) and will probably take a break for a while too. You can overfeed yourself when the food is so great and end up a sloth-like, pre-diabetic slug (metaphorically speaking of course) but I'll come back to it someday. There will be 50 nutrient-rich maps/map packs waiting when I do.

The best Quake maps/packs are,

1. Arcane Dimensions
2. Underdark Overbright
3. The Punishment Due

Nothing comes close. One of my best PC experiences period and a must play before you die

Naraya

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom