Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by toro, Mar 13, 2019.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    They ran a public beta test months ago with Assassin's Creed and it got stellar reviews, sadly.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Steamboat Willie Savant

Steamboat Willie
    What I was going to say. Wii sold fast and hard to a bunch of boomers based on a gimmick then basically became a non-player throughout the entire second-half of the 7th gen, and it's attach rate was complete shit - around half of what the 360's was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, but Nintendo was already making money just selling the console whereas the Xbox360 and PS3 at first were sold at a loss or not far from it so had to recoup from game sales/royalties. So even if Nintendo didn't make all the Wii buyers into gamers, they racked in a lot of dosh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Steamboat Willie Savant

Steamboat Willie
    They netted short term gains and in return suffered 6-7 years of market irrelevance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Savant

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    My experience with the Wii single-handedly killed any further interest in Nintendo consoles I had. That was a Benjamin plus down the drain I really wish I had back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. baud Cipher Patron

baud

• Funny x 4
    • meh x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Pretty underwhelming lineup

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    If they launched with all those available for a Disney+ style subscription cost it might be something for the casuals. That short list, with full price purchases only? Super lame effort. Didn't they invest tons of money in this?

^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Not a lot of games, but Ass Creed, Destiny 2 and Red Dead 2 are some of he biggest hitter on PC right now. And they have a fairly high system requirements, so many can't even play them. If they run fairly well on this system, it could be a goldmine.

^ Top  
  10. Tiger Learned

Tiger
    It will be a goldmine, the casual fuckwits will flock to it.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Garbage Educated

Garbage
    Not really, what you need to consider is that most casual gamers play where their friends are. Unless everyone moves to Google STD en masse, then it'll be a gimmick picked up by a million people at best.

^ Top  
  12. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    They'll flock to one or more of these services eventually, absolutely. Not sure it'll be Google's though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ebPD8PePfC Learned

ebPD8PePfC
    I can't tell if this is an underwhelming list of launch games, or an attempt at a limited public beta. I think it's the latter because the technological challenge is really hard, and that's why previous services failed.
    Gyst is also the first streaming exclusive game as far as I know, which is really sad from a games preservation point of view. It doesn't include any feature that require it to be streamed, so it really is sad, as the game could be lost in the not so distant future for no real reason.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Whipped Cream Learned Patron

Whipped Cream
    Microsoft have a lot of competetive advantages over Google. Here's what Microsoft could do to instantly destroy Stadia: During the announcement of the next-gen Xbox, announce that if you are subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate then for any game on Game Pass and any next-gen Xbox game you own you can switch freely between playing it in one in four ways: 1. Natively on your Xbox, 2. Natively on Windows 10, 3. Stream it on your Xbox through xCloud or 4. Stream it on any Windows 10 or Microsoft Edge-capable device through xCloud. Furthermore you can switch freely between devices and between native or streaming and your save game carries over (but you can't play on two different devices at the same time obviously).

They'd have to bolt shut the windows at Google Stadia's HQ to keep people from jumping.

Of course, Microsoft have a long history of missing open goals and doing stupid shit, so I give them a 50% chance of completely fucking up xCloud just like Google are fucking up Stadia.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    I'm curious to see how this will work out now that the public will actually get its hands on it

^ Top  
  16. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    It depends on how it's implemented, if all the MP games can have the player on Stadia with those playing on their consoles/PC, it could work. Of course it depends on what Google has decided for that, but for that particular point, it would be dumb not to implement cross-play, as it would remove the chicken-egg issue for MP games (no-one's playing MP games on Stadia, so I won't get that MP game on Stadia, so no-one's playing MP games on Stadia and so on). And of course it's only one particular issue that Google had to solve for STD to be successful.

^ Top  
  17. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Willingly playing a streaming multiplayer game, just imagine the latency kek.

^ Top  
  18. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    MS sets out to do it, xCloud's preview now has more games than Stadia in soft launch: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/11/14/expanding-project-xcloud-more-games-more-ways-to-play/

[​IMG]

Also it will make use of existing purchases and Game Pass in some form:

^ Top  
  19. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Even if they are dumb enough to try it, it will only last a few days. Then they'll find out about data caps.

^ Top  
  20. ebPD8PePfC Learned

ebPD8PePfC
    That's not really relevant for most of the gaming world. China and Japan don't have data caps, and they are both heavily invested in mobile gaming, for which Stadia is a natural fit. South America has high import fees for electronics, with some horror stories coming out of Brazil, which could be circumnavigated by streaming. As far as I know data caps are only a relevant factor in the US and India. I can't think of another major gaming market that has this problem, though I'm sure that I'm missing some countries.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Lots of people in the U.S. (and I presume Europe) have no caps. There's a reason streaming video is taking off like a rocket.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Microsoft's last announcement made Google realize something:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    MS should get all those games for Gamepass immediately and make them all accessible through Stadia's launch and into the new year. That's what I'd do.

^ Top  
  24. Owl Savant Patron

Owl
    Codex USB, 2014

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. RoBoBOBR Cipher Patron

RoBoBOBR

• Funny x 18
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • incline x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.