Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Dark Mysteries 2.02 English

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sure, drop the link here! Unfortunately I need to wake up in 6 hours so I'll be going to sleep real soon now, but I definitely want to see it :D

Awesome! :) The link for my channel is http://www.youtube.com/GAMEGODFLUENT - The LP's episode 1 may be up tomorrow at 8am my time (US Eastern Standard Time.) I will then update the LP once every other day, so a day on, a day off, repeat. Hope u enjoy, and thanks again for all the awesome information AND the amazing translation effort! You really are someone special for doing this translation, let alone also helping people set it all up! My hat's off to u, respect sir. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey Sencantor , I was wondering if there was any way to fix the videos in the game? They display in small boxes in the top left corner of my screen now. I'm playing in 1080p if that matters. Any ideas? Also, I can't see the barrier, with or without Sky Effects on.

Sencantor

Educated
Hey Sencantor , I was wondering if there was any way to fix the videos in the game? They display in small boxes in the top left corner of my screen now. I'm playing in 1080p if that matters. Any ideas? Also, I can't see the barrier, with or without Sky Effects on.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a fix for that. There's a few more things I couldn't fix because I don't have actual game development knowledge, but hopefully you won't even notice them :D
Regarding the barrier...hm. The thing with these types of glitches is that they are very dependent not only on the texture packs you use, but also very likely on your PC configuration, especially the GPU (I have an RX 5700 XT). My recommendation here is to play around with the DX11 options (that's how I managed to get the barrier to appear for me, by fiddling around randomly with them).

I'm really glad you like the translation :) I first played the mod with google translate texts and it was so painful I had to do something about it. Good thing the community is still so active in making tools and other stuff for the game.

Sencantor

Educated
I just took a look through your channel and you have a really nice voice. It'll be a good LP ;)

Sencantor

Educated
Wow you're also narrating the lines, that's cool :D This'll be real fun!
Small tip: As you're running, you can press "R" (or F, I don't remember exactly) to look behind you without stopping. Another useful thing is to press "Alt" when you're on the edge of a hill / roof / whatever, to switch into walk mode. In that mode you cannot walk off the thing and fall.

Also, right at the starting point, you can pick up that piece of paper which is posted on the gallows, along with the knife ;)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ah, I see. I didn't think I could pick it up because the highlight didn't show up for it. The leather pouch too had a hard time showing the highlight, so I hope that's not a recurring issue, but should be fine with a little tinkering around. And yep, narrating the new lines, heh. Thanks for watching and glad u like it so far! :D Feel free to comment on youtube if u wish to help the algorithm, heh. Can't wait to play more!

Sencantor

Educated
Will do, also trying to get some friends to do it too.

Yeah, some items are hard to reach (there's a spell that can help with that later on, don't want to spoil it - although you might remember it from your first playthrough). Gothic mechanics are...challenging, but somehow endearing in my opinion. The fight system is clunky as hell for example, but with practice you can learn to move around the opponent, step back or parry at the right moment. There's lots of ways to exploit the primitive AI of the game.

I really can't wait to see more man, I love watching you explore the new world.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I love exploring it, so truly, thank you for giving us this opportunity Sencantor . Great to hear you're gonna tell some peeps about the LP, i enjoy doing them and enjoying new playthrus of great RPGs. Gothic is definitely endearing and just flat out GOOD, PB are masters of their craft and were even back then. Just thrilled I get to revisit a classic with a shiny new coat of paint on it. Thanks again man, you've done and are doing excellent work here!

Sencantor

Educated
Thanks. Damn, I wince every time I notice a forgot a typo in there. Heh.

Also, another tip: I like setting the turn left / turn right controls to Q / E. This helps you walk and turn a lot more fluently.

I just got to the Hermit part where you couldn't skip his voice line: this is a bug that's also happened to me, it seems to happen randomly when you skip several lines in a row. As far as I remember vanilla Gothic didn't do this, so it's caused by the mod.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey, is there a way to play this in windowed mode, full screen borderless type? I'm having issues with my recording software and that should fix it. Thanks! :)

Sencantor

Educated
Hey, is there a way to play this in windowed mode, full screen borderless type? I'm having issues with my recording software and that should fix it. Thanks! :)

Yes. Open the SystemPack.ini file in the Gothic/system folder and change the BorderlessWindow=0 value to 1. You can also take a look at the other stuff in the document, there might be things that help you with your setup.

Sencantor

Educated
Also, I found this option in Gothic.ini: scaleVideos=1. Try changing it to 0 and see what that does for you. I still don't get full screen videos (the intro logos), but at least they're centered now. I can't check the new game video because that just doesn't load at all for me, no matter what I do.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
A few more questions if u don't mind Sencantor . :) How do I move just one unit to the trading window rather than a whole stack? Also, are any chests "safe" in that they won't disappear what's in them if I leave say, ore, in them? Such as the chest in the hovel nearest the castle that looks like Diego's place but i can sleep there and enter without hassle? I think i'd like to leave some ore for safekeeping and such, is it possible? Thanks!

EDIT - Figured out how to move one at a time, use the turn keys rather than the strafe keys! ;) And I found "my" hut, and I'm wondering if those chests are relatively safe in that they won't despawn what I put in them after awhile (no spoilers on like, getting robbed or something please :) ).

Last edited:

Sencantor

Educated
As far as I remember, no item of yours ever despawns in Gothic 1, whether it's put in a chest or left on the ground. Don't risk it with important stuff though, just in case something does happen :P

By the way, I think now's a good time to mention to you that you'll be able to join a new faction, in the mine camp - be aware that this will overwrite whatever other faction you were in at that time. I managed to brick a mage playthrough like that (meaning I couldn't continue on the mage path anymore, even when I tried resetting my faction using cheats). So if you decide to join those guys, it'll be like joining one of the vanilla factions, blocking you out from the others' quests.

Then there are 3 other smaller factions in the game which tell you you can "join them", but as far as I could tell in the game, these don't actually change your status in any way, they just make you an honorary member. In any case, I recommend you create backup saves before interacting with these, just in case you do find your status is changed afterwards. This mod still has some bugs (I didn't encounter any game breaking ones in this version, but better to be safe then sorry).

Sencantor

Educated
Oh and I wanted to mention this yesterday but I forgot: you might already know this, but Gothic 1 NPCs are notoriously stupid when it comes to following you around. They can easily climb after you and then fall to their death or walk off into a pack of beasts and get killed. You should be careful whenever you have somebody following you, to make sure they don't get themselves killed. That's another way that you can get blocked in some quests.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I will give it a look when I meet the new camps and see what's what. I've already done a Sect playthru in the past so they are out in terms of who I join this time. Guess u just gotta stay tuned to my LP and see what happens, hehe. :D Can't wait, I LOVE this game!

Sencantor

Educated
Ah, I see. Thanks.

When's the next LP dropping? I'm excited to see it :D

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ah, I see. Thanks.

When's the next LP dropping? I'm excited to see it :D

I have them scheduled for every other day, so today! I recorded some in advance because of my playing habits, and may record even more, but they are scheuled for one day on, one day off. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I can say I'm about 5 hours in and having a BLAST! I've fallen in love all over again with the game, heh. :) Finding some *very* interesting things with the modded stuff, little bits seamlessly sewed into the main game, and really enjoying that aspect. I think I'm doing alright but I'm not a powergamer so slow and steady is the motto for me. Hope u enjoy, I am really enjoying scavenging for tough to get resources (tougher with the mod, too) in the early game. :)

Sencantor

Educated
I grew up playing Gothic and other RPGs with my brother, so I actually love seeing someone unfamiliar with the game (or just new aspects of it in your case), find their way about. The best part about these old games is that they're not about becoming as powerful as you can as quickly as you can, or being a mechanical god, they're about exploring the world, getting immersed in it. And from all the RPGs I've ever played, Gothic is hands down the most immersive. I liked that first LP so much actually that now I've got it in my head that you can't stop until you finish Gothic 2 as well (there's a nice little expansion mod for it too, that I played just one time a few years ago).
My only regret here is that bug that causes some of the lines to use the old Google Translate base, instead of my texts. That will make it weird for you to narrate some of the conversations, but you also adapt quite quickly to them so I'm confident you'll make them sound good either way.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I grew up playing Gothic and other RPGs with my brother, so I actually love seeing someone unfamiliar with the game (or just new aspects of it in your case), find their way about. The best part about these old games is that they're not about becoming as powerful as you can as quickly as you can, or being a mechanical god, they're about exploring the world, getting immersed in it. And from all the RPGs I've ever played, Gothic is hands down the most immersive. I liked that first LP so much actually that now I've got it in my head that you can't stop until you finish Gothic 2 as well (there's a nice little expansion mod for it too, that I played just one time a few years ago).
My only regret here is that bug that causes some of the lines to use the old Google Translate base, instead of my texts. That will make it weird for you to narrate some of the conversations, but you also adapt quite quickly to them so I'm confident you'll make them sound good either way.

I'd LOVE to do a modded Gothic 2 run after this, as I've only ever completed G2 one time without mods. So yeah, if there's some big overhaul mod or game-changing mod I'd love to check it out for G2! :) And yeah, it's probably the most immersive RPG I've ever played as well. I love Piranha Bytes, even the Risen series is excellent to me. But I had kind of forgotten how GOOD Gothic is. It's really, REALLY good. I'd love to go right into G3 eventually, which I've only played a bunch of hours of but never really progressed much of the main quest there at all. So plenty of LPing to come, for sure. :)

Sencantor

Educated
Gothic 3 unfortunately went too big and lost a lot of what made the predecessors good, but it still has its charm. Definitely worth doing a complete playthrough of that as well, yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom