Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Dark Mysteries 2.02 English

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, G3 is worth a playthru it seems even though it might not be as strong in some areas as its predecessors. I just hope u don't mind the scheduling too much. Since I'm doing other LPs I can only do it this way rather than posting a video every day but I hope that's cool with u! :) If so then be prepared for some massive (and going to take time) LPs! :)

Sencantor

Educated
Sure, no rush. I saw that you're doing several games every day. With recording and editing, I know that's a lot of effort. The longest series that I ever followed was Freeman's mind (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQhfkpX9bc&ab_channel=AccursedFarms). That took over 10 years to complete (it initially cam out sometime in 2009 or 2010 on a Machinima channel), with episodes coming out every couple of months. In the end, it became one of my favourite series though, so all good things come to those who wait :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sounds good! Funny thing, I also watched Freeman's Mind, but years after when it had all been uploaded. That was a very fun series. See you on youtube Sencantor!

Abhay

Augur
G3 only shortcoming is the combat, which is serviceable, and if you prefer the amazing spells than it soon becomes a non issue.

In all other areas, G3 is better than G1, G2. Of course, story and characters are interesting in each part of the series, but gameplay wise, G3 decimates G1/2

Sencantor

Educated
Fluent Do you user your mouse to select items? I saw that you had difficulties in picking up the note and that's weird. For me, when an item is highlighted, if I just press LMB + W, then it picks up the item. The character is not allowed to move during this.
If you want, you can also try setting Gothic2_Control=0 to 1, in the SystemPack.ini file. This will make it so that you only need to click items to interact with them, removing the W bit. I personally like that very weird LMB + W interaction for some reason, but it does make things more complicated sometimes.

Also, another tip: when you see items you can't easily select, a good strat is to try to get above them (for example, the note can easily be highlighted if you approach the gallows, make the character jump upwards, then click & hold when the item becomes highlighted, when he gets back to the ground, you can then just press W and the pick-up action will be triggered).

I just checked and the dagger cannot be picked up, I think it's just decorative. Sorry for the confusion there.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ok I'm 10 hours in and wanted to say a few things here. So far I LOVE the mod! That includes Sencantor 's translation. :) What I love about it is that it intertwines with the base game in such a subtle, understated way, that the new content seems more like minimal things at first, and then opens up a bit later. That said, it also seems like the mod content has been there from the start in terms of its believability and cadence. It has a high attention to detail and fits right in with the regular unmodded game. Also, with the new textures and renderer, Gothic 1 looks amaaaazing! :) Huge view distances, cool storms and weather effects, and nice looking everything add to the joy of playing the game again. They also tweaked the start of the game so it's a lot harder and the progression has been slowed, but since you can play on Easy/Normal/Hard, u can decide how slow and methodical you'd like it to be essentially. Overall a real quality mod with a great translation, subtle additions to the main game and at the same time BIG new things like the new camps and 100+ quests. Really enjoying this one guys, hope u all do too! Cheers. <3

Sencantor

Educated
Yeah the Poziomkaz team did a great job. I wish they had continued creating content for Gothic after Dark Mysteries. I can't wait to see you find some of the new stuff. In some places it's grave and deep, in others light and downright hilarious. They were really in tune with the Gothic vibe.

Sencantor

Educated
I heard you say that you use CTRL + W to interact with items. Do you do that on purpose? The normal way to do it is LMB + W. Same for fighting. If you use CTRL I don't even think you can move around while fighting.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I later switch to LMB + W in the LP, heh. But yeah, to start the LP the first handful of episodes I was using CTRL + W!

Sencantor

Educated
Glad to see you finally reached the Mine Camp and all the new content :)

Also, I've been avoiding giving you spoilers, but note that some NPC's have longer animations to finish before you can talk to them. You need to wait for them to end, or you can just break them out of the animation through other ways. It's Gothic, you can get inventive.

Also, have you tried tweaking the graphics options via F11 and CTRL+F11? You don't have the barrier OR fires + some occasional graphical glitches which aren't happening to me show up for you. You need to fiddle with those settings till things work properly.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yep! Awesome little camp here, really enjoying it! :)

Thank u for avoiding giving me spoilers! Can u make a quick note of any NPCs that I actually *did* miss though? If it's the two in the swamp camp, eventually they get dealt with. :)

I have not tried that yet, thanks for the tip! When I get back into it I will check out those options. Cheers brother!

Sencantor

Educated
Yep the swamp camp ones + Mark in the mine camp (he was the one frying meat near the Old Mine entrance).

Sencantor

Educated
I just saw in the latest video that you refused the Musician's quest. Unless you intend on skipping content, you should be careful when refusing NPC's, some of them won't offer you quests after you do that anymore.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Dang, I should be more careful there yeah. Sorry about that! I guess I'll be missing that content then? Or can I still do it?

I have a few more eps prerecorded then I will return to new recordings. I will talk to Mark in the mine camp when I do. :) Thanks man, appreciate u!!

Sencantor

Educated
I think that one's gone. Vanilla Gothic had some quests you could miss if you weren't careful with your dialogues as well and Dark Mysteries is even more fickle like that.

Sencantor

Educated
When do you plan to start playing Gothic again Fluent ? I've been doing some more fixes to texts and I'd like to give you the updated file before you start playing again. If it'll be only on the 8th like you said in a video, then I'll give you the file one day before that probably, so that I can fix as many problems as I can find.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
When do you plan to start playing Gothic again Fluent ? I've been doing some more fixes to texts and I'd like to give you the updated file before you start playing again. If it'll be only on the 8th like you said in a video, then I'll give you the file one day before that probably, so that I can fix as many problems as I can find.

Sounds great! I'm going to be playing probably around the 13th actually, since I have prerecorded videos up to the 11th I believe. So around the 12th/13th I'll be playing again. So if u want to send it then I'm down! Thanks man. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Back at it tonight with Ep. 20. So far so good! Looking forward to checking out more of this new content. :)

Sencantor

Educated
Glad to heart that. Looking forward to the next episodes. There's soooooooo much for you to discover.

Sencantor

Educated
You're lucky you reloaded with Servin there. If you had done that wrongly you'd have locked yourself out of the smuggler questline. Remember this mod is merciless like that.

Regarding the video controls: like I said, every system is unique. Try them, see what works for you. Also, in one of the ini files from the main gothic folder, there's an option to set the barrier to always be displayed. In order to debug your problem you can set that to on (or 1, I forget which it is), then go into the game and start fiddling around with the video controls. I recommend you do this from a spot with a good view (so you can see how the graphics change), off video and you either note down what you change, or you pay good attention to it. If things break, you'll want to go back to the original settings (or just revert the option which broke things for you) and I don't know if that set of controls has a "back to default" option.

Smuggler camp disclaimer: this place contains a good portion of the lines that will not use my translation. Some things will sound weird / not make sense. I can't fix that unfortunately.

Last edited:

Sencantor

Educated
You'll want to turn tessellation off. That changes the size of some items' textures and I think it's also why the boxes were invisible.

Sencantor

Educated
The black screen is a bug that happens occasionally. You can work around it by disabling the "Draw VOD" option in the advanced settings, saving + loading the game, then re-enabling it again (disabling it switches off the rendering of some textures).

For the barrier, try disabling Atmospheric Scattering and see if that works. Of course the barrier doesn't appear all the time, unless you switched the option for it like I saw 2 comments above, so you'll have to play for a while to check this.

Regarding the way textures get rendered in this episode: VisualFX draw distance seems to not be ok at 10. When you lowered the bar there the problems got fixed, except you didn't look at the game just then :p

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hmm I see. Is there a way to set everything back at default? Maybe u can upload the default settings files?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom