Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic II: NotR - requesting build advice

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's just German slang for "Got it?". As in a guard is telling you to leave his bathroom: "Get the hell out of here or I am going to kill you, got it?". It has no connotations of mafia speech. Hell, if we want to make a guy sound like some gangster we'd use "capice" too instead of the word the game actually used (which is "kapiert", which as said, means "got it?")

The translator probably just thought that because the word looked similar he should translate it with the closest-looking English word.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For what it's worth it definitely sounds like the English voice actors are all from New Jersey... so they'd be more prone to mafia-esque wording like 'capice.'

Murk

Arcane
Torlof comes to mind all too easily. Then again, those guys _were_ a gang in a prison colony.

Nim

Augur
EDIT: Any German and English speaking Codexer want to volunteer to help PB do naturalization on future games? I'm shit at German, but I'd gladly try my hand at helping smooth the translation out.
No need for that, starting with Risen the english translation got its own team. They even slightly changed some things in the story. I prefer Risen in english actually.
http://www.worldofrisen.de/english/article_215.htm

Skittles

He ruins the fun.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The English dialog and voice acting in Risen was about a hundred times better than it was in G1 and G2.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM NOT IN LOVE WITH GOTHIC 2 PLUS EXPANSION

I LOVED GOTHIC 2 BUT WITH THE INCREASED DIFFICULTY AND SLOW SLOG THROUGH THE BEGINNING I AM SORTA BORED PARTWAY THROUGH THE EXPANSION AND I KNOW THE CONTENT IN THE VALLEY OF THE MINES IS ALL DOWNHILL

BASICALLY BROS I THINK THEY FUCKED THE PACING A LITTLE

I DONT DISLIKE THE GAME IT IS STILL BETTER THAN ALOT OF SHIT BUT I THINK OVERAL THE EXPANSION DECREASED THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Murk

Arcane
Heh, this thread got me to re-install the game. Trying that Nature's Fury mod to add something new -- supposed to have some new areas/quests and item variation. Might try a mage again.

BLOBERT, no.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANKS FOR THE DETAILED DISCUSSION TYPICAL PCTARD NONSENSE

ACTUALY I DISAGREE WITH YOU I WAS BORED PART WAY THROUGH THE EXPANSION

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ACTUALLY I GIVE CREDIT TO MOST OF YOU HEAR MOST PCTARDS ARENT SMART ENPOUGH TO TALK ABOUT GOTHIV MUCH LESS PLAY IT

Murk

Arcane
The curve is pretty heinous if you haven't played the game semi-recently, but the add-in was really aimed for people who've played the game enough to know how the system works, and so can plan. Criticisms that meta-knowledge is necessary (or at least, extremely helpful) are more or less on the spot, but it just doesn't bother me. Few games have given me as much enjoyment, and if that means the first few goblins might prove lethal then fuggit, I'll take that and whatever (perceived) pacing issues.

Anyway, The new world area is pretty dope. If you find the early part too diabolical, might I suggest editing the game files and/or using a mod to give yourself more LP?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I do agree the expansion messes up the pacing a little bit and, at times, it seems like it can drag on (especially in a game with A LOT of walking involved) so I can understand your point, BRO.

Revenant

I can't imagine myself ever playing Gothic II without NotR content.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO MIKAYEL WE CAN AGREE THEN

I HADNT PLAYED GOTHIC 2 IN OVER 5 YEARS SO I WAS SORTA LOST

IM FINALLY PAST THE HARD PART NOW THOUGH

I JUST REALLY ENJOYED KHORINIS I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE BEST TOWNZS IN A 3D RPG WELL ABOVE BETHESDAS STUFF

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As an aside I'm semi-replaying Gothic 1 as a mage but I want to save all my LP for when I can become one. While I can just walk around the mine crawler queen and get the eggs I want to kill her for the delicious xps! Unfortunately my melee does crap even with a +5 and +10 str ring and best weapon available and I can't find enough spell scrolls to nuke her down.

:rage:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Totally forgot about that orc hammer in the mountains. I eventually just grabbed two firestorm scrolls and killed it that way. And yeah, I probably should have just invested 10 or so points in strength -- I keep forgetting that G1's LP curve is far more relaxed than G2 NOTR.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I played Gothic 1 after Gothic 2: NotR, so I was very miserly with my LPs. In the end after getting mastery over 2h's and maxing out strength I still had a fuckton of LPs lying around. Think I had at least 10 levels worth of LPs sitting around.

Revenant

Unlike Gothic II: NotR, Gothic 1 wasn't meant to be played with highly specialized character builds. In G1, one could max or nearly max BOTH strength and dexterity and all four fighting skills, and this was sort of default gameplay, since one-handed weapons were mainly available in the early game, while two-handed ones were meant for late gameplay and were a deal more powerful. Thus, in G1 you probably go through one-handed weapons and later into two-handed weapons, while in G2:NotR one-handed and two-handed are independend departments and you can stick to one of them for an entire game. Because of this, G1 and G2:NotR require completely different character build strategies.

Murk

Arcane
The normal development course for G1 is that you need to learn 1-handed to be able to learn 2-handed, unless you wait to join the Mercenaries in which case Lee will teach you 2-handed without the requirement.

I also agree that G1 is entirely okay to play as a gish/jack of all trades.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALLRIGHT BROS I FUCKED UP RAVEN ALTHOUGH SORTA ANTICLIMACTIC ONE FIRESTORM SCROLL DID IT

NOW I AM BACK AND FUCKING UP ORCS AND SHIT BUT STILL HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE LIGHTHOUSE BANDITS THOSE CUNTS

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Usually I just exploit the terrain (that wall in front of the lighthouse) or climb on the roof (although they'll get up there, too) but, yeah, I've never understood why they put out so much damage.

LoPan

Learned
Oh dear, I may have run a bug in v2.7 (eng).

I went after Pedro (Pardo? can't remember) to get the Eye and when I got to the seekers and their stone circle I legged it, told everyone important the eye was fucked and only much later, after sauntering about at a complete loss of how to proceed, I returned to the stone circle to find the actual broken eye (or rather a fragment) on the stone circle altar. I assume I should've picked this up before going to speak to anyone about the matter, I could speak to Xardas about the eye now that it was in my possession and he told me to go to Vatras, which I have already done, who still refuses to help me until I get someone to relieve him. Not finding anyone to do this I joined the Ring of Water, I am now supposed to go see Saturas but after having given Lares the ornament I took it back in a dialogue option without thinking, I can now not give it back to him and he won't take me anywhere (and I looked up common bugs and though I asked Lares to take me to Onar's Farm he never did do it because I had not solved the 'Where are all the missing people?' quest). I caved at this point and started to cross-reference FAQ's but I'm coming up empty.

Did I run a bug here or am I, after hours of milling about and even FAQing, yet an idiot?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I'm guessing that's the same bug although just approached from a different perspective... I guess you didn't kill Raven/do the expansion content prior to triggering the chapter where the seekers appear? Never done it that way, myself. Usually I joined the Ring of Water right at the start of Chapter 2 after I've joined a community and spoken to Lord Hagen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom