Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
controls in Gothic 1 are shit, just shit. Its difficult to go back from Gothic 2 to 1.

What the fuck. I control G2 exactly the same as G1: mouse+kb and never had a problem.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Keyboard only controls are the patrician's choice. The mouse+kb controls suck ass for combat.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Framerate only drops if you turn the camera erratically.
Not for me. Just yesterday checked with Fraps. In vanilla frame rate jumps up and down even, while being idle and even, when it stales it's never 60. With the framerare mod it's constant 60. I immediately felt how much more easier on the eyes the game suddenly became.

Doktor Best

Arcane
All your thread is belong to us.

Anyway, found that there is some other guy with exactly the same problem and setup on world of players and they answered that a new version of system pack is in works. Hope they release it soon.
Also, i found a single patch that only releases the framerate cap and that really makes a difference. Are other engine improvements in the system pack as noticeable too?

Its the most important fix as it solves most responsivity problems. Others are texture quality and some bugfixes.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
controls in Gothic 1 are shit, just shit. Its difficult to go back from Gothic 2 to 1.

What the fuck. I control G2 exactly the same as G1: mouse+kb and never had a problem.
Mouse is useless in gothic 1.not for gothic 2

I remember being able to rotate the camera with the mouse in Gothic 1. The game was designed for keyboard controls and you miss out on side swings if you go mouse only.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Mouse is useless in gothic 1.not for gothic 2

'Is useless'? For you maybe, it works just fine.

I remember being able to rotate the camera with the mouse in Gothic 1. The game was designed for keyboard controls and you miss out on side swings if you go mouse only.

Wat. Hold LMB to lock on enemy and:
A: swing left
D: swing right
W: swing forward
S: parry

Disengage by releasing LMB to move around and re-engage as needed.

It's truly appalling how many people can't figure out the game's control scheme.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I meant to mention Gothic 2 in the second sentence which is just LMB to attack if I remember correctly.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Let's be honest you are pretty casual. I do know one other person that was too casual for G1 controls and they enjoyed G2 with the new mouse controls. You should give it a shot or give up on the series altogether.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Let's be honest you are pretty casual. I do know one other person that was too casual for G1 controls and they enjoyed G2 with the new mouse controls. You should give it a shot or give up on the series altogether.

It's not about being casual or not. Some people like to put up with shit controls, and they are casual as fuck, as in "Skyrim is teh best RPG ever made".

I don't. I have patience for a lot of things. Playing a game with awful controls is not one of them, and it won't help if the game's setting is not interesting at all to boot. I understand the casual insult if you can't play a game because it is complex... but complex controls have nothing to do with how complex a game actually is. I'm pretty sure Gothic is as simple as any other "hardcore" RPG I've seen thrown around here, only with shit controls.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
"Pushing one extra button gets tedious" is a pretty casual complaint, though. Besides which, Gothic 1's controls are neither complex, nor are they difficult, nor are they shit. Calling the controls tedious and thus shit and then giving up on the game entirely because you have to hold down an extra button is about as casual as it gets.

You're one step behind those who refuse to play the game because of its graphics.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
There is nothing complex about Gothic's controls. It's not a flight simulator, Arma, or a roguelike where where you have a bunch of very specific actions tied to keys and case sensitive controls. I only played Gothic for the first time a couple years ago and it felt natural about ten minutes in. You don't have to like the game but dismissing it over something so petty is sad.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
"Pushing one extra button gets tedious" is a pretty casual complaint, though. Besides which, Gothic 1's controls are neither complex, nor are they difficult, nor are they shit. Calling the controls tedious and thus shit and then giving up on the game entirely because you have to hold down an extra button is about as casual as it gets.

You're one step behind those who refuse to play the game because of its graphics.

To you. To me it's the truth: Gothic's controls are annoying. Could I get used to them? Sure. Do I want to? No thanks.

The game is wonky as hell as well, the camera is retarded and moves all the time when you move as opposed to staying behind you, for example.

It's not just Gothic, I complain about a lot of games if they don't get the basic quality of life improvements nailed down. The thing is that Gothic's issues come from its own controls. It really feels like a game that would feel at home in a console where you can easily press one button to toggle between combat/normal mode and other things.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Could I get used to them? Sure. Do I want to? No thanks.
Then the fault is yours, not the controls. Don't say, "I didn't play Gothic because the controls were shit," because that's not true. Tell the truth and say, "I didn't play Gothic because I didn't want to learn the controls."

Or better: "I didn't play Gothic because I didn't want to learn the shit controls."

How is "press up and another key to talk to an NPC" acceptable when every other game out there uses just one key (and generally the same key to pick up/interact with something) is beyond me.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I've forgotten. Were permanent stat increase potions better to save until later in G1 too? I can't remember if stat training cost increased exponentially like in G2.

Kahr

I've forgotten. Were permanent stat increase potions better to save until later in G1 too? I can't remember if stat training cost increased exponentially like in G2.
No, the costs for stats don't increase in Gothic 1. But there is a training limit (100), which you can reach probably. But with potions you can increase your stats above that limit, so it is better to keep them till the end. Although it isn't really important as Gothic 1 is far easier than Gothic 2, so you can hardly get in a situation where you have too low stats.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
How is "press up and another key to talk to an NPC" acceptable...
It's acceptable because once you adjust to the way it works, it functions just fine.

So if you had to press up up down down left right left right A B to talk to someone... would you still think that shit is acceptable? It just works.

Anyhow, kind of pointless to have this discussion. Pressing Up + Action is the least of my problems control-wise, not to mention game-wise. Playing the game felt like playing a parody or something, the voice acting was awful and everything looked uninteresting as hell.

UglyBastard

Arcane
So if you had to press up up down down left right left right A B to talk to someone... would you still think that shit is acceptable? It just works.

No, but pressing LMB + W to talk to someone sounds rather manageable imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom