Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Automobile IV: A Game For Commies

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I've actually found the car physics for this one to be the most satisfying. On the ps3, they really did a good job with the analog trigger sensitivity for acceleration/braking. It's definitely not like you're playing a simulation game or anything, but it has a bit more depth, and each car feels unique.

NPC drivers? I think they're better than past incarnations. People can drive in a hurry without necessarily driving straight into the person in front of them. In previous GTA games I recall shooting a gun and watching a pileup happen on the spot, not so anymore. It's irritating when you get in a taxi and they guy messes up, but whatever, you can just hit x and skip it, the amount of money it costs is entirely negligible.

But yeah, better dial whine one one.

Suchy

Arcane
you do a girl and she gives you a health boost? ffs the game sounds god awful retarded...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played this game last night for a few hours. So far it seems a logical and well executed evolution of the GTA franchise. It's exactly what you expect from a GTA game, just polished as hell. If you liked any of the last GTA games you'll just love this one.

About npc normal road users, in the previous games they were either fodder to be pushed aside or mad idiots like in the SA game that came after you after one little bump. In this one you seem to have a whole scala of personalities. From people that try to get away, ones that stop and get out to attack or yell at you to my fav, maniacs that come after you with guns blazing and that actually get out of their cars to try and kill you. I had one maniac that came after me for two blocks with a blazing shotgun after I rammed him. It was a shitload of fun to see that npc freak out.

User was nabbed fit

HanoverF said:
ViolentOpposition said:
HanoverF said:
The npc drivers are supremely shitty, the people with blinders on about how great gta4 is will claim this is just authentic New York inspired driving

And the people looking to split hairs will claim that it's a big deal and over-exaggerate it.

It's a 'driving game', saying the npc driving is shit is not splitting hairs. Sure the past gta had some wonky npcs, but not to the level of 4, but as I said, it might just be that they can stick so many more cars in the game. I see a 30 car lineup not moving at the toll booth every other time I go over that bridge, there's something horribly wrong. The past titles the driving was a joy, this one, not so much (and the shitty radio compounds that) the missons are a bit better so far, I hope there's a "Kill all the Croats" mission

I don't see any "shit" NPC driving. If you allow 30 cars to line up at the toll, then you're driving too slowly. I always overtake anything in front of me and stop at the last person at the gate, just so I don't get a wanted star for passing through without paying. It's because I'm genetically superior, and so is my driving.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Suchy said:
you do a girl and she gives you a health boost? ffs the game sounds god awful retarded...

its not new to GTA4
GTA VC already had this thing - when you bang a street-whore you gain up to 125% health.

MetalCraze

Arcane
just drive very slowly near the slut that looks like slut - eventually she will join the ride. then just find a cozy dark place.

El Dee

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Yeah I was wondering about the tank as well. Did removing the military also include removing the tanks?
If they removed the military who comes after you when your wanted level reaches 6 stars?

Lumpy

Arcane
Suchy said:
No, it's just an arcade game ffs. As long as you don't expect realism, that kind of features are fine.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
There are no tanks in the game, not that I've seen and I'm on the last few missions. Also, max ammo for the RPG is 8 shots. :( That's not enough.

User was nabbed fit

Lingwe said:
Compare the metacritic score of the game journalists to the user reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... theftauto4
Xbox 360
Game journalists gave it an average of 99, the user reviews gave it an average of 8.4.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... theftauto4
PS3
Game journalists give it an average of 100, the user reviews gave it an average of 8.3

That is because people are dumbfucks and don't know how to rate games. For example at Gamespot, the average reader score is 9.3 for the 360. But then look at some of those player reviews... the (unjustified) very low scores by some users bring the overall score down. I'm sorry, but there's no justification for giving the game a score like "5" or even below (unless you don't like this type of game, but then what the fuck are you doing reviewing GTA 4). Just some idiots trying to be counter-culture IMO.

I don't think it deserves a 10, but an 8.3? To all the down-voters: nigga please.

User was nabbed fit

There will be no tank, because there is no army. The army doesn't run around after one man, which is why they removed it along with other things that didn't make much sense (though which were fun, and in a way I wish they were still in).

User was nabbed fit

Then why did they remove it? That's the only reason I've heard which is supposedly official. DLC? Doubt it. That's meant to be storylines.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Some of the stuff they removed isn't that big of a deal. Personally, I'm glad to see the ambulance and firetruck activities gone, I always found them to be nothing but a big pain in the ass. But removing the tank? Now how am I supposed to go on explosive vehicle rampages? With this game's beautiful explosions, causing destruction with a tank would have been stellar.

As for those user reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those scores were unjustified. There are people that seem to be actually looking for a reason to dislike the game. Hell, there are some people that have been bitching because Niko doesn't wear fingerless gloves like in his artwork. C'mon now, if the only thing you don't like about the game is lack of a pair of fucking gloves, that means the devs. made a goddamn good game. Which is exactly what R* did. Sure, it has its flaws, but...bitching about gloves? *sigh*

By the way, anybody watched the tv shows in this game yet? There's even a cartoon that makes fun of both Republicans and Halo, called Republican Space Rangers :) This game makes fun of Republicans a lot.

DLC? Doubt it. That's meant to be storylines.
While the DLC is said to be small story arcs, I wouldn't be all that surprised if R* threw in a few new weapons or vehicles along with it. Hopefully we'll get a tank one of these days. Doesn't the first DLC come out this October?

GeneralSamov

Prophet
So, they removed the tank. But what about the Apache Longbow? I recall someone earlier ITT mentioned helicopters are still there?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
GeneralSamov said:
So, they removed the tank. But what about the Apache Longbow? I recall someone earlier ITT mentioned helicopters are still there?
Choppers are in, and some of them have mounted weapons. It's pretty fun to go online and have hellicopter battles in the city. It especially looks awesome when an opponent shoots the tail off (looks very realistic) and you go crashing into the side of a building.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom