Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Automobile IV: A Game For Commies

Freethis

Novice
Fat Dragon said:
But removing the tank? Now how am I supposed to go on explosive vehicle rampages? With this game's beautiful explosions, causing destruction with a tank would have been stellar.

My favorite rampages involve donuts in Times Square with a swat van filled with Dwayne's homies. Try it out.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Free mode with 16 players is quite awesome. Total chaos. I was just playing chicken with this guy using helicopters. Wound up missing him entirely and crashed into a skyscraper, which ruined the chopper's rotor and sent me plummeting to the street

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Finally finished this beast's single player. It was much longer than I expected. I had over 30 hours. Now to spend more time on multiplayer. Gotta admit though, the game gets pretty damned interesting and intense during the last few missions.

dagorkan

Arbiter
This game looks really good but I don't know about contemporary New York City with East Europeans... seems kind of boring compared to California (SA) with the Bloods and Crips and crazy spics and fucked up Hollywood and beach parties. I think the mid 90s rap music and gangsta lingo is one of the key reasons I could play GTA3 for more than twenty hours or so (when you get away from the missions the gameplay becomes quite repetitive).

dagorkan

Arbiter
What are the gameplay differences between GTA:SA and Vice City? It's an older game, is there any reason to get Vice City?

doctor_kaz

Scholar
dagorkan said:
What are the gameplay differences between GTA:SA and Vice City? It's an older game, is there any reason to get Vice City?

Yes Vice City is excellent. Gameplay has yet to be surpassed since then.

San Andreas is bigger in area but somewhat hollower. All that they added between VC and SA were lame mini-games. Plus, the parodies on the radio stations in VC were better.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
doctor_kaz said:
dagorkan said:

Yes Vice City is excellent. Gameplay has yet to be surpassed since then.

San Andreas is bigger in area but somewhat hollower. All that they added between VC and SA were lame mini-games. Plus, the parodies on the radio stations in VC were better.
San Andreas' large but very boring country areas like the desert were pretty damn hollow. It would have been better if they'd just taken the three separate cities and turned them into districts of one big city.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I never managed to finish San Andreas, I tried but got bored every time. Vice City on the other hand keeps giving me hours of fun.

Helton

Arcane
Being able to swim makes more of a difference than you might think. Otherwise, it really comes down to taste.

The feel is very different between VC and SA, but they both have really cool missions and really frustrating ones. I think I like SA more because of the family. CJ isn't much of a protagonist, quite the bitch at times, but he is ultimately looking out for his own and I respect that. It makes me relate more with his character and what's going on, especially after you first leave Los Santos (but less after you first leave San Fierro).

On the other hand, Vercetti is a fucking monster. Hedonist to the extreme. Doesn't take shit from anyone and you will have a blast playing him.

Play both, VC first. Adjusting to the no-swimming thing is hard, and I haven't played VC since SA because of it.

edit: Also, almost every car in VC has amazing handling. Some people prefer that, others don't, but it's worth noting.

User was nabbed fit

That could be because you start out with shitty driving skills in SA. But after a while your driving skill goes up. Not sure if it's still harder even when you have 100%?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Vice City just feels right when I play it while it took me long to get used to SA and even then I was never really that comfortable.

Swimming isn't that big of a difference, it's nice to not drown anymore though but I can live without it. Cars handle better, you do not need to drive each type of vehicle to get a driving meter filling, same with weapons. No need to take care of your muscles or appearance, you do not have tedious rythm mini-games or gang wars that do not matter much in the end.

The whole 80's setting is very nice and the whole game is a bit of an hommage to Scarface (and it did it better than the game that bears the name). Music is also nicer. Vice City is just the right balance of meaningful content, SA had many more stuff or explore but it wasn't that interesting.

Edit: it's a bit of a detail but being able to steal fast cars right from the start is also very nice.

Fez

Erudite
In other news: GTAIV has made 500 million dollars in the first week. Not bad.

Chefe

Erudite
I just traded in GTA IV. It was boring the living hell out of me.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Yes, it got quite dull after 10 hours or so. Haven't really played it in a while, still at 15%.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
OMG YA'LL DON'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT EVERYBODY ELSE DOES! YA'LL MUST BE LIKE SO MUCH COOLER THEN!

Chefe

Erudite
Kaiserin said:
OMG YA'LL DON'T LIKE SOMETHING THAT EVERYBODY ELSE DOES! YA'LL MUST BE LIKE SO MUCH COOLER THEN!

That's exactly why I traded it in for NBA Live 08.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom