Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Going to test this out with EotB. BTW, this is my first time using a mapping program. Many thanks!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Salathor

I'm thinking of adding support for the following in the first iteration of the notes list:
  • filter by note type (none, number, ID, icon — each category can be toggled individually)
  • show notes from all levels, or only for the current level
  • sort by note type, level elevation, or note text (secondary sort criteria are always silently appended, e.g. elevation sort also sorts by note type as the secondary criteria, and the note text as the third)
  • can jump to the location of the note by clicking on the list entry
Just trying to find the smallest useful subset of features. Any thoughts?

Salathor

Novice
Salathor

I'm thinking of adding support for the following in the first iteration of the notes list:
  • filter by note type (none, number, ID, icon — each category can be toggled individually)
  • sort by note type, level elevation, or note text (secondary sort criteria are always silently appended, e.g. elevation sort also sorts by note type as the secondary criteria, and the note text as the third)

I would say a key when revealing non-numbered notes (icons, etc.) would be to also provide the x/y locations visually but in an unobtrusive color (I dunno, not a visual design guy). That way if you're scanning the list and looking at your floor you can just visually match them all to what you're looking for on the map. If you can show notes from multiple levels, then maybe X/Y/Z.

Ie.:
  • 3 | -4 LORD HEINMEITY: unfriendly at start
  • 22 | 6 THE MAD STOMPER: find some foot powder

An issue when showing notes from all levels would be collisions between numbers. Ie., which "1" am I looking at? Might only make sense in that case to see the current map. I don't know if this would be a problem in games with multi-map spreads though (like the big M&M overworld).

Sounds like a great feature!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Salathor

I would say a key when revealing non-numbered notes (icons, etc.) would be to also provide the x/y locations visually but in an unobtrusive color (I dunno, not a visual design guy). That way if you're scanning the list and looking at your floor you can just visually match them all to what you're looking for on the map. If you can show notes from multiple levels, then maybe X/Y/Z.

Ie.:
  • 3 | -4 LORD HEINMEITY: unfriendly at start
  • 22 | 6 THE MAD STOMPER: find some foot powder

An issue when showing notes from all levels would be collisions between numbers. Ie., which "1" am I looking at? Might only make sense in that case to see the current map. I don't know if this would be a problem in games with multi-map spreads though (like the big M&M overworld).

Sounds like a great feature!
Yeah, good points. I guess I'll just need to try a few things and see how they work in practice with a few games.

Gamezor

Learned
I'm just posting this if there are any retards out there like me who happen to read this thread. I just spent like 15 minutes mystified that I couldn't draw anything on my map until I realized that you have to create a new level on your new map before you can start drawing stuff and the legend shows up on the right. I'm sure that's in the manual somewhere, but I didn't look closely enough.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It has been brought to my attention that someone has created an ArchLinux package for Gridmonger. Nice one! I will provide official Linux binaries myself too starting with the next release.

About the next release: I started working on it a few days ago and it will contain lots of fixes and some enhancements suggested by people in this thread, plus some handy new features such as wraparound support when nudging maps and moving selections.

It will be probably out next month. I'll keep updating the changelog as I go, so you can check it out to get an idea of the release's scope:

https://github.com/johnnovak/gridmonger/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Salathor Preview of the new notes list pane feature:

6i6WwTy.png

Jack Slash

Literate
Rincewind Thanks for the amazing work you are doing with Gridmonger! Checking it out right now, and I am impressed with how easy it is to learn and get started.

I haven't tried a mapping program before, so mind if I ask a very basic question? Do I understand correctly that the main idea is to keep Gridmonger open and frequently switch active windows between the program and whatever game I play? I take it there is no autotracking feature to mirror your key presses in a game and move the cursor accordingly, right? Sometimes I see videos of people using Grid Cartographer in parallel with DOSBox to replicate the movement of your adventuring group on the map, so was wondering if something like that is possible.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rincewind Thanks for the amazing work you are doing with Gridmonger! Checking it out right now, and I am impressed with how easy it is to learn and get started.
Cheers, glad to hear you're enjoying it man.

I haven't tried a mapping program before, so mind if I ask a very basic question? Do I understand correctly that the main idea is to keep Gridmonger open and frequently switch active windows between the program and whatever game I play? I take it there is no autotracking feature to mirror your key presses in a game and move the cursor accordingly, right? Sometimes I see videos of people using Grid Cartographer in parallel with DOSBox to replicate the movement of your adventuring group on the map, so was wondering if something like that is possible.
Yeah, so on a conceptual level, such a thing is against my vision for the purpose of the program, which is steering people towards playing these games as they were meant to be played—mapping them manually, and getting completely lost from time to time. It's part of the experience and it's supposed to happen.

On a technical level, what GC does is something called Game Link. Basically, all supported emulators have been patched up so GC and the patched emulator can communicate, then they also need to add specific support for each game. It's not just a simple "keypress interception" mechanism, and if you think about, that won't really work (e.g., what if you're in an in-game menu and press the cursor keys there?). That's quite a few steps too far into the auto-mapping territory.

So yeah, everything is possible, but I can say with 100% certainty I won't add such features into Gridmonger as it's very much against my vision (from the front page: "dungeon mapping tool to replace pencil-and-paper mapping when playing old-school computer role-playing games"). Plus it would add tons of complexity and maintenance overhead for something I'm not interested in.

Last edited:

behold_a_man

Educated
and if you think about, that won't really work (e.g., what if you're in an in-game menu and press the cursor keys there?).
Is this really a problem? You could add a special key, unused during normal play (like `) for deactivating the interception and another (like !) for activating the interception process. Finding a proper, still maintained library for intercepting keystrokes might be a bigger obstacle - I tried to implement such a mapper in Node and couldn't find anything still updated and working for X11. As of now, I use pynput and a browser controlled using Selenium for that purpose - which is limited just like a regular browser, but I only have to press a key once.

Jack Slash

Literate
Rincewind Thanks for the detailed explanation - I'd give you a brofist, but it'll still be a while before I am allowed to do that by the forum.

I'm off to Grimrock 2 to give Gridmonger a nice and proper test run.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rincewind Thanks for the detailed explanation - I'd give you a brofist, but it'll still be a while before I am allowed to do that by the forum.
I appreciate the sentiment :cool:

I'm off to Grimrock 2 to give Gridmonger a nice and proper test run.
Actually, I'm planning to experiment with an overlay feature for modern games like Grimrock that people usually play in fullscreen. But that won't come anytime soon, maybe next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom