Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by JarlFrank, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    That psycho riff should signify a character under the influence of confusion or other affliction that takes control from them. Did you notice if the acting character failed to take its assigned action? Or even strike another party member? Look for that next time it happens.

Personally, I enjoyed the Gideon adventure a lot. Did it rather late in the game, it was the last tablet I went after. Agree, the atmospheric writing here is some of the best in any computer role-playing game.

^ Top  
  2. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    I think you're probably right--what's likely causing the issue is that there are certain actions in the game that are "impossible" to do wrong, like drink a healing potion, so I think that rift may have played, but then the game couldn't force my character to drink the potion incorrectly (like giving it to the enemy instead), so it looked like the rift played for now reason.

^ Top  
  3. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    If I use one of the pieces of rope to go down the well to the Halls of Commerce in Waterport, have I lost the ability to complete the fishing activity?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    You don't fish with a rope.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Is stealing/killing the pirate under Waterport the only way to get the combination to the nautilus mosaic in the Saltwyrm Caves? I read somewhere that you can get it by talking to him too, but with him friendly and charmed, I can't find a keyword that triggers it.

^ Top  
  6. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    So I figured out the answer to my question above--apparently you have to show the pirate the totem from Saltwyrm Caves, after which he'll give you the password for the Nautilus mural without combat. i discovered two other things that might be bugs though.

(1) I'm trying, similarly, to see if I can get the helm to avoid the Kraken from Black Pierre somehow. However, while I meet him some time ago when I first explored the Snark Mistress and joined his crew, I can't find him again on the Snark Mistress anywhere. I've used locate person and it didn't tell me where Black Pierre was. Has he vanished from the game? Do I have no other option but to fight the Kraken now?

(2) I found a book with the Etherwarp spell and have "Eldritch" unlocked. However, even though my wizard's "Arcanum" skill is 100 (from grinding when trying to scribe other arcanum spells) and with a maxed Read Magic cast on him, I can't scribe it in my spell book. Is this a bug, or do factors other than "Arcanum" skill come in to play. Does my scribe need to be even higher too?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Finally managed to memorize Etherwarp after many attempts, but still can't get Black Pierre to reappear. I saw in a different thread that if you do two full rests you can get him to reappear, but it didn't work for me. No matter what I do it seems he's gone permanently unless I provoke him by freeing Little Daisy or trying to open his treasure chest. As a last resort I can just do the latter and kill him, but would love to avoid that if possible.

^ Top  
  8. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    I ended up just bypassing Black Pierre, killing the kraken the good ol' fashioned way, and going to the Bahomet Megalith. While the first couple of floors of the Megalith were a little monotonous, the upper floors were awesome--best boss fight I've encountered in the game so far, and the egg reward at the end was a nice surprise (I figured out how to hatch it, though I'm playing with an all-custom party so far). Decided to skip the Rattou area for now (one of the few Southern zones I have left to explore) and head back North to check out Kublai Axis since I have so much crap to sell and am too lazy to head back to Crowl. Few other questions:

(1) Do sages learn any new spells after level 10? If not, I might multi-class mine into cleric so I have a second character who can cast enchanted blade, and have access to the cure paralysis spell (which I don't yet have...).
    (2) Does the Prophetess in Megalith Spire have any purpose after your initial encounter with her? I tried heading back to her spot after killing
    Show Spoiler
    the Methuselah
    , but she didn't reappear.
    (3) Which recruitable NPC in the game is pirate class? Might give that class a try...
    (4) Has anyone in the game experienced tablet robbers yet? I have the option on and have rested a bunch and taken my time, but the five tablets I've collected so far were all where they were supposed to be.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    So I killed the kraken and met the big bad guy just outside Kublai Axis, and he was mad and sent his
    Show Spoiler
    astral stalker
    . After me. However, it doesn't appear to be aggressive--I encountered it almost immediately afterward, but it just stared at me, being all neutral and weird and shit, and didn't respond to anything I had to say. Does it attack me eventually, or is it just gonna be all creepy and stuff until I decide to kill it?

^ Top  
  10. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    1) There is a list of what spells can be learned at what class level. I'm pretty sure it's in the manual.
    2) Don't remember.
    3) If none of the pirates you met are recruitable, then there may be none. You can create pirates right in the beginning and honestly, they are not as good as Assassins or Jesters.

If you want spoilers, here is a list of all or most of the recruitable NPC's in the game, including their class:
    http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/NPCs#List_of_all_recruitable_NPC.27s_.28SPOILERS.29

4) I played without them.

^ Top  
  11. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Thanks! I have discovered one NPC that isn't in that list
    Show Spoiler
    Parasmus, the naga you hatch from the egg found at Bahomet Megalith
    , but it otherwise appears very helpful/comprehensive.

Do you happen to know what the deal with the astral stalker is? I can't find any information on it in the wiki. Ahriman sent it after me for killing the kraken, but when I encounter it it's just neutral and I can just exit the conversation and run away from it, so I'm not sure what the point of it is unless it just hounds me for now and suddenly becomes aggressive later...

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Actually, just saw that one of the premium NPC's is a pirate. But he will only join if you have no other NPC's in your party.

^ Top  
  13. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    By premium NPCs are you referring to the two
    Show Spoiler
    weapon Egos
    ?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    What is his class?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Warrior, and he's pretty bad ass in the stats department.

Show Spoiler

6th Lvl Naga Warrior; 150HP; 450 Vit; 250 mg

INT 70
    WIS 79
    WIL 85
    STR 99
    CON 98
    SPE 95
    AGI 80
    FEL 35
    DEV 30
    MET 91
    DES 10

Archery 49
    Assay 53
    Axes/Scim 42
    Barter 48
    Blade 46
    Climb 52
    Evade 43
    Hammer/Mace 54
    Hand to hand 52
    Incant 51
    Inspect 49
    Invoc 42
    Lash/chain 53
    myth 48
    scout 54
    scribe 53
    shield 49
    sling/bola 42
    sorcery 100
    Spear/lance 56
    staff/rod 50
    stealth 56
    swim 50
    sword 52
    throw 52

Spells: Dispel Magic

High skills (70+): Sorcery,

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Also confirmed that Krellspar at Desolation of Gideon is recruitable--you just may need high devotion to recruit him. Stats are below:

Show Spoiler

6th Lvl Leonar Ranger: 140 HP, 300 Vit, 90 magic

INT 46
    WIS 46
    WIL 46
    STR 93
    CON 62
    SPE 76
    AGI 68
    FEL 58
    DEV 45
    MET 64
    DES 10

Accuracy 61
    Alchem 80
    Archery 50
    Assay 50
    Axe/Scim 50
    Backstab 55
    Barter 52
    Blade 59
    Climb 55
    Diplo 55
    Evade 50
    Hammer/Mace 60
    Hand to hand 54
    Incant 51
    Inspect 49
    Invoc 64
    Lash/chain 61
    Lethal blow 60
    lockpick 60
    mephistics 64
    Myth 64
    nature lore 62
    scout 48
    scribe 54
    shield 62
    slings/bolas 52
    spear/lance 53
    staff/rod 62
    stealth 49
    swim 55
    sword 61
    throw 53

Knows some decent spells too: Finger of Death, Comet of Doom, crushing hand, among others

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Making my way through Skulheim now--has the bug with grues permanently draining strength been fixed yet? Been save scumming just in case, but would prefer not to if I don't need to.

^ Top  
  18. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    I've come a long way since my last update/question series here :P Ready to complete the game--Just a few final questions below (all spoilery):

Show Spoiler

(1) How do you move the bookshelf in the accursed church (the place accessible only at midnight) to access the area behind it? I get a ping from the detect secret spell, but I've clicked everywhere and can't move it.
    (2) Can you give the havoc seed to Ahriman? What happens?
    (3) Is the spellbook for the teleport spell in any of the areas I haven't visited (Periwinkle area, whatever is behind the bookshelf in the accursed church, Astral Plane, Outward Realms, Moon Abyss, and Spring of Everlife)? I found all the other eldritch/arcanum spells in the archives, but haven't been able to locate teleport, and I imagine the spell dimension door is useless without it.
    (4) What is the daemonica coin used for?
    (5) Is the Periwinkle content worth backtracking all the way back from the final area of the game to check out?

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    The spellbooks that you find in the archives are randomized, so you can reload until you get the spells you want there. I found Teleport and Dimension Door, it's a very handy spell allowing you to teleport back to a specific point. If you use it while riding a turtle/boat, it will teleport it with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    1) Don't remember. I think there was only a fight in that church.
    2) Don't know, I killed him long before that.
    3) What Gunnar said.
    4) Would be helpful to know where you found it. It's not like we can remember every single item by name.
    5) It's pretty cool, though not too big. I would explore it. It has

Show Spoiler
    time travel

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    I explored Periwinkle (thanks for the recommendation btw--the story arc for that area was pretty awesome), went back, and beat the game via the flying saucer ending. It took 114 hours total for me to beat the game, and what an incredible experience it was! I already wrote a positive review on Steam back when I was 15 hours or so in, but I'll go back and update it further in light of my exciting play through the rest of the game.

In the event a sequel comes out before we're all dead and gone, I'd love to be one of the first in line to play :D

Also, thanks to all of you here for the hints, tips, and answers to my questions along the way!

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. GandGolf Savant

GandGolf
    Is there anywhere to get the spells TRAP GLUE, DEATH WISH, FIRE WALKING, or HOLY WORD? Getting a cleric to level 26 or a necromancer to level 22 without cheating is a real chore.

^ Top  
  23. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    And it's done, after three years and 300 hours of gameplay. There are some things that need to be finished, but I got third ending already.
    [​IMG]
    Now I need to find a code for that Moon Abyss cube...
    Thank you, Cleve.
    EDIT:
    Found it! It was a clever placement.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    • Salute Salute x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.