Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
With 100 spell casting skill and 90+ WIL, you can cast max level eldritch spells with 95% success rate. Hope that helps!

WIL helps to cast spells?

XKDL1kp.png

Aeorb Sage, 100 Arcanum, 100 Sorcery

Deadly Blades at Power Level 7 (MAX)

1 INT
1 WIS
1 WIL

*Fizzle*
Success!
!! Backfire !!
Success!
Success!

100 INT
1 WIS
1 WIL

*Fizzle*
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!

1 INT
100 WIS
1 WILL

Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!

1 INT
1 WIS
100 WIL

*Fizzle*
Success!
*Fizzle*
Success!
Success!
Success!

100 INT
100 WIS
100 WIL

Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!

Conclusion? Fuck if I know.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is there any way to replenish SPIRIT other than resting at a shrine? Is there any way to defend against the undead fear aura?

Dorateen

Arcane
Is there any way to replenish SPIRIT other than resting at a shrine? Is there any way to defend against the undead fear aura?

A power level 1 Bless spell will restore Spirit.

Except for necromancers. They will need to cast Cerebral Shield on themselves to restore the Spirit Bar.

Also, unless this changed, resting at a safe haven replenishes Spirit.

Gunnar

Arbiter

A power level 1 Bless spell will restore Spirit.

Except for necromancers. They will need to cast Cerebral Shield on themselves to restore the Spirit Bar.

Also, unless this changed, resting at a safe haven replenishes Spirit.

Thanks, it works great. I hadn't used Bless since the very beginning. Pretty sure I was just at a safe haven in the Tomb of Doom and it wasn't giving me spirit back.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
With 100 spell casting skill and 90+ WIL, you can cast max level eldritch spells with 95% success rate. Hope that helps!

WIL helps to cast spells?

XKDL1kp.png

Aeorb Sage, 100 Arcanum, 100 Sorcery

Deadly Blades at Power Level 7 (MAX)

1 INT
1 WIS
1 WIL

*Fizzle*
Success!
!! Backfire !!
Success!
Success!

100 INT
1 WIS
1 WIL

*Fizzle*
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!

1 INT
100 WIS
1 WILL

Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!

1 INT
1 WIS
100 WIL

*Fizzle*
Success!
*Fizzle*
Success!
Success!
Success!

100 INT
100 WIS
100 WIL

Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!
Success!

Conclusion? Fuck if I know.

Good experiment, thanks.

It shows that INT, WIS and WIL have some influence on spell casting, but not too much since even with no points in them leads to success 3 out of 5 times.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Asmodeus attacked me even though I didn't take any treasure. :| I'm assuming this is because I cast knock-knock on his locked treasure chests?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I used bonus points from the character creation on HP bonus, either that makes the game too easy or the difficulty have been dumbed down too much (difficulty 3/5) or maybe i should have played on max difficulty ?

Some people whine that it's too hard. Now that you're applying the trick with unarmed combat, it's suddenly "too easy".

Also, the one thing that had to change didn't, the small window in which we're supposed to read a huge amount of text is made for people playing their nose stuck to their screen, that's barely playable for me (playing 2 meters away), i have to get closer for comfortable reading or i can just skip any fucking text (playing in full screen).

Get glasses or binoculars... Or you know, don't play it from 2 meters away - it's not a console game.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Good experiment, thanks.

It shows that INT, WIS and WIL have some influence on spell casting, but not too much since even with no points in them leads to success 3 out of 5 times.

A response to butthurt cries of MUH BALINSE. Decided that even millennials would be able to succeed with a spell at the lowest level without it fizzling. I actually think that spread looks pretty good and is functioning as intended. Trying to limit the tears of muh spell casting balinse babies who didn't like that at skill levels of 10 you tended to fizzle and backfire an awful lot.

Original Grimoire combat math has been dumbed down to a level where even FelipePepe can enjoy it along with his Pokemon.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Good experiment, thanks.

A response to butthurt cries of MUH BALINSE. Decided that even millennials would be able to succeed with a spell at the lowest level without it fizzling. I actually think that spread looks pretty good and is functioning as intended. Trying to limit the tears of muh spell casting balinse babies who didn't like that at skill levels of 10 you tended to fizzle and backfire an awful lot.

Original Grimoire combat math has been dumbed down to a level where even FelipePepe can enjoy it along with his Pokemon.
why?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Now that you're applying the trick with unarmed combat

I've always used unarmed combat in the beginning, if you read me, i was talking about bonus points added to HP, the HP bloat makes any threat looks trivial if you use classes with low requirements and roll a good bonus.

Get glasses or binoculars... Or you know, don't play it from 2 meters away - it's not a console game.

I'm not complaining, just informing, i stopped my second playthrough after clearing aquavia, maybe i'll try it again in 20 years when V4 is released or maybe i'll just keep playing something else.

Replicante

Educated
Ok maybe I'm
rating_retarded.png
but how do I get inside the two dungeons in the Gardens of Midknight?
To open the Cenotaph of the Black Lich you need something from the Catacombs. Afterwards you can think about going to the tomb of St George
Alternatively if you want me to be more specific I can add the info with a spoiler tag

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A proper autist from the Steam forums came up with these numbers:

LATEST EXPERIMENTAL DATA ON LEVEL UP GAINS:

On Level Up:
  • HP gains are 100% class-based.
  • VIT gains are 100% attribute-based (CON attribute).
  • Mana gains are mostly attribute-based (DEV attribute), but do have some minor adjustments for class.
  • Attribute gains are 100% class-based.
None of these are impacted by the race/class bonus multipliers (or by the race itself). They also are not affected by being dual-classed (unlike what I thought previously).

HITPOINTS

Approximate average HP gain per level for each class:

18.0 - Berserker 16.5 - Warrior

13.5 - Pirate, Jester, Templar, Ranger

9.5 - Bard 8.5 - Metalsmith 8.0 - Assassin 7.0 - Thief

6.0 - Thaumaturge 5.0 - Cleric, Wizard 4.0 - Sage, Necromancer

VITALITY

Vitaltiy gains are CON-based. Vitality gain on level up is approximately equal to:

12.5 + (CON * 0.75)

MANA

Mana gain on level up is mostly DEV-based (devotion). I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but you receive almost exactly 50% more MP at 80 DEV than you do at 40 DEV.

Pure mages definitely have a broader range of results than fighter types, but in terms of average MP gain, there is less difference than you might exepct.

At 40 DEV, the average gain for most classes is 10 MP per level.

Pirates and Jesters were slightly lower, around 9 MP per level. Sages, Thaumaturges and Clerics were closer to 10.5 MP per level. Necromancers were closer to 11.5 MP per level. Wizards were closer to 12.5 MP per level.

(I did enough trials that most of these numbers should be accurate, but it's always possible that I had unexpectedly lucky/unlucky results for some class.)

ATTRIBUTES

For the three fixed attribute gains on level up:
  • The five mental-skill dominant classes (the pure mages including Cleric) gain only INT, WIS, and DEV. They gain in all three stats every level!
  • The three physical-skill dominant classes (Thief, Ranger, and Bard) receive the majority of their points in CON, WIL, and FEL. They also receive some points in INT, WIS, and DEV. They never get points in the other stats.
  • Most of the martial-skill dominant classes (Berserker, Warrior, Pirate, Templar, and Metalsmith) receive their points across all attributes, but with slightly more in AGI, SPE, and STR.
Finally, Assassin and Jester (who also have the highest overall skill point yields) receive their points truly spread out across all attributes.

Included in: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Professions#Levelup_mechanics

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Oracles help, but they're few and far between and they run out of oracle juice eventually.

Mainly from oracles, as far as I am aware. Just hold onto those items you missed Super ID-ing earlier, and use them on the next oracle you come across. Also, I believe you can show items to NPCs you meet, and there are some that will be fully identified (scribing an entry in the journal) in this fashion. And cast the Super ID spell before you open up a treasure chest, so that new discoveries will be recorded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom