Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Wow, I love how I got petrified, and the only cure seems to be making a potion using nightshade, some other flower, and mandrake roots. But the problem is I already sold the nightshade I think because I initially thought it was useless, and none of the stores sell herbs. I don't even know where to get the mandrake roots.

No one sells any depetrifying scroll or book. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Wow, I love how I got petrified, and the only cure seems to be making a potion using nightshade, some other flower, and mandrake roots. But the problem is I already sold the nightshade I think because I initially thought it was useless, and none of the stores sell herbs. I don't even know where to get the mandrake roots.

Some stores sell herbs, vending machines have herbs in them (however, not sure how useful they are in this situation) and
Mistral has stone to flesh

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The male/female bonuses and penalties are a good source of clueless butthurt. There is apparently some female-only gear in the game, is anybody going to get up in arms about that?

No? Oh, ok.

I see, Thanks!

So did anyone find a powerful item that require a specific race/gender/class that he wished he knew about in character creation?

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist

Some stores sell herbs, vending machines have herbs in them (however, not sure how useful they are in this situation) and
Mistral has stone to flesh

Hmm, strange. Apparently the Rag girl has tons of them if you ask her to join you. But for some reason, she doesn't sell any ?!?!?!?!?!

Biggus

Scholar
Thanks to this game I am playing Wizardry 7 for my initial play. I'm not good at it but mostly am just interested in these games. I'm a musician and I play these games to just learn about role playing in general, which I consider very interesting and imaginative. This release has had a big influence on me despite that I am not playing Grimoire, and can't even really play it right now since I use a Mac. I am also poor atm. I intend to buy it in the future after beating Wizardry 7.

That said I am honestly slightly curious how the fuck you guys figure stuff out, like story/puzzle wise. I like to think I'm intelligent but I think I am not getting deep into the game enough. I just want to keep killing shit and I have no idea where to look, get bored and look at a walkthrough. I doubt I'll ever really be the kind of person who plays entire games routinely just because my time is finite and mathematically there just isn't enough of it for me to play more than a few ...

I chose to put hundreds of hours into the seventh of the series over finishing the modern Fallout games because I felt that when reading about Grimoire, Cleve and others were onto something about Wizardry simply being a better and more rewarding gaming experience. I could play one or the other, but not both. I want Wizardry to be one of those games I actually finish, and I really think it belongs on the list of games that are widely known about today. I can't quite articulate why... it simply seems to me that until now this style of RPG had little mainstream following. I must say, once you can grasp what it's about, it's much more fun. I played Morrowind and I used to think that was the most dank gaming experience there was. I feel like if people had told me about this, and directed me in the proper direction, I would have saved a lot of my time and energy.

I feel like I can't be hardcore enough though. After an hour of wandering and leveling up and not being able to figure out who to talk to or whatever to do the next thing, I look at my wristwatch and think about how I am spending the small amount of time I have on this planet, and tend to look at a walkthrough. To be honest, I feel like that ruins it a bit. And I don't know to what extent that's my personal fault. I feel like to a large extent there is just absolutely no fucking way you could possibly figure out what to do next, and I'm at a major loss how people can play these games without folding and using walkthroughs. What the FUCK are you doing to progress without giving in and looking at the answer? Seriously. I hate to think of myself as a nerd or freak who sits around and takes games seriously, so that's probably why I am not giving in and getting all the way into it. This is some nerdy as fuck shit and I feel like the second I start getting that into it, I'll somehow render myself a permanently insta-virgin shut in. I mean I'm already halfway there I'm just scared to commit like that.

So just tell me how the fuck do you guys figure out how to progress in these games. I'm trashed

Without taking the piss... I bet you are young. If I am wrong, stop here and read the next post. Young people have been brought up with a borked 'value' and reward system. The reasons are too complex to go into here. Essentially, the way it is supposed to work is that hard = big reward, easy = no reward. Younger people were brought up with no 'hard', so they never get the reward that hard brings. Like I said, I am not being critical. I would no more look at a walkthrough than I would use Zep's trainer, because both take away the very thing that good games (this is one, despite flaws that a clown could see) provide... that being, a challenge. You aren't challenged, thus you get no reward, which in turn reinforces the whole thing in a negative feedback loop.

/lecture off

I wish you well. Play Wiz, and that might teach you the value of stuggle vs reward, then in a decade or two, when this game is finished, come play it and bask in its glory.

Note: no apostrophe in the above. It's a pronoun :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I really have to say, I am starting to hate the end-game battles with special passion.

Enemies that have 10 actions, killing half of your party, casting charm, sleep and all sorts of shit. Not because it is challenging, most often they can't kill the remaining half of the party.

So that just means really annoying, drawn out fight that takes ages to get out and takes ages to recover from (party members with -1000 health, requiring up to five uses of "Caduceus of Life" to get back in action.

I'm simply reloading certain enemies all together. You can either RNG a fight with rapesquad that takes five minutes or ?WORMS? that die before spellcasters even get to cast their spells...

I suppose the early/mid 90s crawler experience wouldn't be complete without an unfairly difficult endgame.

I don't have as much time as I'd like to spend on this game but it's really amazing so far. I'm early on in the game I suppose, but I already played 15+ hours (just got past the Tomb of St. George), and it's so rewarding to figure things out. The latest version seems to be working fine and I haven't had savegame issues in my last session - I did Cenotaph and the Catacombs. Even if later portions of the game aren't as good as this it's still hugely impressive. I hadn't done an all-nighter in a very long time. Thanks for finishing and releasing this, Cleve. :bro:

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Grimoire 1.2.0.17 Update
Version 1.2.0.17
----------------------------------------

A small change to the way an event stack worked broke the logic for a single NPC called Knok-Knok and his request for us to destroy "demm debil waspishs" in his forest. We never got rewarded for returning to him after completing this quest. This logic was fixed and now even if you have already completed this quest you can go to Knok-Knok for your reward.

This wasn't a critical bug or even a major fix but it restores something that is fun and intrinsic to this region as an experience. Knok-Knok is one of many odd characters we meet wandering around in these maps, some of them hostile, many of them friendly like the tree.

mondblut

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615862858084/
Grimoire 1.2.0.16 Update
Version 1.2.0.16

Big fix to a big bug! This should solve all the problems with the "Chance Keys"
you sometimes get in a blue moon from monsters! It should also fix several other
mysterious crashes.

After examining this problem closely I fixed it. A month ago I installed a Borland C++
compiler 5.0 on a Win 7 machine to recompile a utility used to port the treasure mix
database. I didn't know it at the time but there was a bug in the installer that assumed
quadword alignment for structures which overrode my compiler switch to use 1 byte
packed alignment. When the utility was run it generated a terrible mess which incredibly
actually worked most of the time, concealing the fact it was botched up. That data has
sat there a corrupt binary just waiting to cause trouble.

I wrote a new utility to sanitize and clean that file and write it out again. That's a 20 year
old file that was originally written the first time in Windows 3.1 editor I created with ancient
MS VC 1.0 compiler. It is now back to pristine clean binary data.

This should be one of the last kinds of bugs that causes a real assert. The other problems I have checked today invariably turn out to be people still trying to use savegames left over from 1.2.0.7 or config files messed up by bad data in that same build.

I dunno about keys, but just had the same respack crash upon killing a medusa in temple of Hathor-Sogg (that's where the skull from eerie wastes goes, huh) and looting ?snakehead? from her corpse. Playing .17 from saves going back to .02 (through .12 and .14, no other versions were involved). Did not reproduce on reloads, in same spot also against medusa (head was taken). Cleveland Mark Blakemore

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Grimoire 1.2.0.17 Update
Version 1.2.0.17

A small change to the way an event stack worked broke the logic for a single NPC called Knok-Knok and his request for us to destroy "demm debil waspishs" in his forest. We never got rewarded for returning to him after completing this quest. This logic was fixed and now even if you have already completed this quest you can go to Knok-Knok for your reward.

This wasn't a critical bug or even a major fix but it restores something that is fun and intrinsic to this region as an experience. Knok-Knok is one of many odd characters we meet wandering around in these maps, some of them hostile, many of them friendly like the tree.
Cleves been busting ass on getting out patches and fixes.

Its really quite impressive TBH.

Dexter

Arcane
Some of the SuperID item descriptions are nice, since they're basically extended Cleve-ian rants :lol::
screenshot50wpsmg.png

screenshot513cs1s.png

screenshot522as3g.png

screenshot53wgsi8.png

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think it was Qt3 or some forum of course they were crying about that javelin description above.

Grimoire is the gift that keeps on giving if you like blobbers and milking lolcows.

It's been a fun ride lurking/following this saga over the last few years, brofists to everyone who contributed to the epic Grimoire threads. And, all jokes and trolling aside, it's quite inspiring what Cleve has achieved in making a game of this scale, persevering through those long, dark years, and finally releasing it into a world where his many foes are eager to find fault with it. Now the overall reception appears to be improving by the day.

Must confess I've only watched some of the streams and LPs so far, as I can't afford it buy it at the moment and could never bring myself to pirate something with so much solitary effort and passion behind it, but I'll definitely get it one day as it looks fascinating and I enjoyed the bit of the demo I played back when it came out. And, like others in the thread, Cleve's example has inspired me to rather spend those 600 hours starting work on a game of my own. See you men in 5 or 6 years when my superdemo is scheduled to come out. :salute:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Cleve, are people who started in the .9 version screwed?

I mentioned this yesterday (about the neanderthal monument not being there for me after I started in .9) but wasnt sure if it was a bug or due to my starting area- You had said something about not using saves created from games between .5 and .9 (which I had assumed meant any save made from .5 to .9- In the same way someone says "the party is between 8 and 10"- They mean all the hours) and some clarification would be great.

Someone posted this thread http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615876473899/ and has the same possible issue.

I'm worried that since that monument is missing, other things might be as well that are crucial down the road- I dont mind restarting again, am not bitching about it (just a little frustrated) but I just want to know if I need to restart or if I'm missing something and this isnt a bug- I want to play but I dont want to continue if I might hit a dead end later.

Thanks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom