Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
motherfucker!
the game tells me after a roll of 27 that i have 20 bonus points left. i assign them to attributes, start the game and it's 12!!!!
it steals from me.
Working as intended.
:smug:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
alright, check this out:
g7ziYg7.jpg
AGxSVdi.jpg
XMGYcsf.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
yo, Cleveland Mark Blakemore , what's with the attribute point theft? and why is it like a tax? the more points we have the more gets stolen.

The bonus determines what vocations are available because it can reach the requirements for that profession with the bonus.

Once selected, the points required to make the minimum attributes for that profession are deducted. This is the exact way it works in many RPGs during character creation.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
and rhattu pirate should need 80. instead it's supposed to only require 48. why??? that's a huge difference.
and is this only at start or when multiclassing too?
there's no logic to this shit and no explanation either.

Certain races have a natural advantage for certain professions. This is reflected in the multiplier for that class. The Rhattu make pirates much easier than others.

Now remember, if the multiplier increases the bonus points available and then deducts them then technically bonus remaining is never a negative number so in many cases bonus = 0 when the multiplier is taken advantage of.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How many times in a playthrough do you typically change classes?

There is no typical. You can skip class changes completely, or you can change the same character's class up to 12 times (only a few races qualify for that though).

I've changed all my characters at least 6-8 times if I remember correctly. My goal was to get two Jesters in my party and that was achievable pretty well, with a bit of planning ahead. You don't know anything of Grimoire if you don't experience these raving and massmurdering lunatics in action. They are glorious.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
and rhattu pirate should need 80. instead it's supposed to only require 48. why??? that's a huge difference.
and is this only at start or when multiclassing too?
there's no logic to this shit and no explanation either.

Certain races have a natural advantage for certain professions. This is reflected in the multiplier for that class. The Rhattu make pirates much easier than others.

Now remember, if the multiplier increases the bonus points available and then deducts them then technically bonus remaining is never a negative number so in many cases bonus = 0 when the multiplier is taken advantage of.
rolled naga metalsmith with 41, should have gotten 16 bonus points to spend after deduction. didn't get shit. <-- there is no multiplier involved, still 16 bonus points wasted after deduction. same thing happened to other races trying metalsmith, except for durandil.

and look again at the pictures if you can't follow what i'm saying. in the picture case shit got deducted, bonus points left were shown as 30, and then at game start only 20 were left. you can see barrower was chosen, thaumaturge was chosen, bonus points left to spend were 30. at spending they got reduced to 20 attribute points.

and this is from the wiki, assuming it's copied from the manual:
What the Multiplier Bonus means:

• It gives you a multiplier bonus or penalty to the amount of skill points you get on each levelup
  • It gives you a multiplier bonus or penalty to the natural resistances of that race (this is kept even after changing class!)
  • When creating a character, it gives you a multiplier bonus or penalty to the unused portion of the points you roll (these can be put into extra HP, attribute points or skill points)
i scratched penalty because i didn't test sub par combinations. it says you get a bonus to the unspent (undeducted) bonusroll points. well, if it takes them back you don't really get a bonus.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
  • When creating a character, it gives you a multiplier bonus or penalty to the unused portion of the points you roll (these can be put into extra HP, attribute points or skill points)
i scratched penalty because i didn't test sub par combinations. it says you get a bonus to the unspent (undeducted) bonusroll points. well, if it takes them back you don't really get a bonus.

Maybe that part of the wiki is wrong. It was written long before the manual came out.

You could also, you know, check the actual manual.

Cael

Arcane

Maybe that part of the wiki is wrong. It was written long before the manual came out.

You could also, you know, check the actual manual.
Real men don't read manuals!!!!

They just bitch on the Internet instead.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
from the manual:
"If you choose attributes, the bonus points will be available as points that can be custom added to existing attributes in the character review screen after the game has started. You will be able to add these points to any attribute other than destiny."
both wrong. after the game tells you to chose how to spend them, some still get subtracted. and you can spend them on destiny points afterwards and even chose hom many of them instead of dumping them all at once.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The character creation module in Grimoire doubles as a git-gud filter.
Only the most prestigious RPG connaisseurs will eventually succeed in creating a viable party of Heroes.

Oberon

Learned
Planned party progression;

Vamphyr

Warrior -> Berserker -> Assassin

Vamphyr
Warrior -> Berserker -> Assassin -> Pirate

Vamphyr
Assassin -> Thief -> Bard -> Sage -> Thaum -> Necromancer

Vamphyr
Assassin -> Thief -> Bard -> Jester

Vamphyr
Thief -> Bard -> Jester

Vamphyr
Necromancer -> Sage

Drow
Wizard -> Thaum -> Necromancer

NPC SLOT
????????

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Planned party progression;

Vamphyr

Warrior -> Berserker -> Assassin

Vamphyr
Warrior -> Berserker -> Assassin -> Pirate

Vamphyr
Assassin -> Thief -> Bard -> Sage -> Thaum -> Necromancer

Vamphyr
Assassin -> Thief -> Bard -> Jester

Vamphyr
Thief -> Bard -> Jester

Vamphyr
Necromancer -> Sage

Drow
Wizard -> Thaum -> Necromancer

NPC SLOT
????????
Getting to Jester with 2-3 class changes is basically impossible. It requires too many attribute points. You also lose a ton of attribute points when you change from Assassin to Thief. Normally the reason to do that change is because you've exhausted all the other classes and it's required in order to keep class changing, and you plan several further changes to make up the lost points.

A more realistic approach to Jester:

Thaumaturge -> Wizard -> Sage -> Cleric -> Bard -> Jester, or alternatively:
Thaumaturge -> Wizard -> Sage -> Cleric -> Templar -> Warrior -> Berserker -> Ranger -> Thief -> Bard -> Jester

The second path loses quite a few points going from Templar to Warrior, but getting 5 extra class changes makes up for it.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
from the manual:
"If you choose attributes, the bonus points will be available as points that can be custom added to existing attributes in the character review screen after the game has started. You will be able to add these points to any attribute other than destiny."
both wrong. after the game tells you to chose how to spend them, some still get subtracted. and you can spend them on destiny points afterwards and even chose hom many of them instead of dumping them all at once.

If you choose a class that does not require multiplier bonus, your bonus points will be equal to original bonus - attribute points needed to make that class. If you choose a class with multiplier advantage, you still need to deduct that same amount of points * multiplier from bonus for that character.

Destiny was not modifiable in 1.0, as of 2.0 you are allowed to add points there. That can be a lot of fun to make some characters (even weak ones) nearly impossible to kill for a short while after starting.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I've changed all my characters at least 6-8 times if I remember correctly. My goal was to get two Jesters in my party and that was achievable pretty well, with a bit of planning ahead. You don't know anything of Grimoire if you don't experience these raving and massmurdering lunatics in action. They are glorious.

I wanted the Jesters to be a rare and decisive class that is infrequently seen and very hard to attain. I added Chuckles so that even people who went the whole game without ever making it to that class could still experience having them as a party member. My regret is I ran out of integers at 1024 and could not add more Jester-specific items that could only be equipped and used by them. I especially miss having Jester specific armor with colorful item pics and descriptions like you would see in Mardi Gras or a Harlequin festival etc. just ran out of item slots to create them in.

The Jester class was also part of adding more elements to the game like those common in anime and weird fantasy. I would like to do an RPG some day with nothing but clowns and harlequins as characters. I got some design documents here from 1996 that went into great detail about the Jester class with a ton of features I was never able to add.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

I wanted the Jesters to be a rare and decisive class that is infrequently seen and very hard to attain. I added Chuckles so that even people who went the whole game without ever making it to that class could still experience having them as a party member. My regret is I ran out of integers at 1024 and could not add more Jester-specific items that could only be equipped and used by them. I especially miss having Jester specific armor with colorful item pics and descriptions like you would see in Mardi Gras or a Harlequin festival etc. just ran out of item slots to create them in.

The Jester class was also part of adding more elements to the game like those common in anime and weird fantasy. I would like to do an RPG some day with nothing but clowns and harlequins as characters. I got some design documents here from 1996 that went into great detail about the Jester class with a ton of features I was never able to add.
Chuckles ran into a spectacular death in Ultima7.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Hello Again,

here's an error in the wiki:

NEW: GET THROUGH 14 OUT OF 15 CLASSES AND END ON A JESTER

You can definitely get through 14 classes and still leave Jester for last. I arranged these, looking at stat minimums, to try and minimize the extra points needed to spend. In no case will you have to spend more bonus points to class change than you can get from random (non > save > scummed) level ups in the new class. This is what I used for Diamond Jack:

(Barrower) Thau > Wiz > Necro > Sage > Cleric > Templar > Warrior > Bers > Ranger > Pirate > Assassin > Thief > Bard > Jester

Ranger to Pirate is more costly but actually gets you three classes:

Problem is rangers can't be pirates. nor can pirates be rangers. so, yeah...

Outgoing class changes allowed:
Ranger: Warrior, Thief, Assassin
Pirate: Thief, Berseker, Assassin

this is what i used for diamond jack??? what diamond jack? how can you pretend this is tested and works?

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher

maybe remove some of the stupid items in the game like the parchment that tells you where to burry Mistral and doesn't disapear after reading. if you haven't figuered out where his bones need to get burried without the parchment, maybe you don't deserve to continue playing. this item could be easily replaced by just a journal entry.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Rangers can transition to Pirates. I had one in our party.

That's a particularly good upgrade path for a ranger. That was kind of how I thought of Pirates, as super elite ranger class. With cutlasses and puffy shirts.

It's very cool to reach tenth level and then begin a new career as a pirate. That was the original Grimoire. As a result of user feedback the class changing was reduced drastically in levels and it turned out better than anything I could have thought of, with class changing becoming almost unique for a blobber to shift between professions. When I was testing 2.0 I thought it was really fun to switch professions and continue with new skills and abilities after only three or four level-ups.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
so these retarded npcs like Argosyre attack me, i kill them and then everyone is angry with me... none can be reasoned with even at 100 diplomacy. good AI bro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom