Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can always buy copies for 19 of your friends.

Rarre

Educated
So, Is this game properly balanced now?

Is it worth It? Will be my first blobber. Or would you recommend a diffrente one?

Thanksss

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So, Is this game properly balanced now?

Is it worth It? Will be my first blobber. Or would you recommend a diffrente one?

Thanksss

Go play Lands of Lore if you want a really good blobber. Grimoire is like the worst possible way to get into blobbers.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
This review put me of trying It... should I try?

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9224

thanks

Well, I played the game for 1 or 2 hours a couple of years back and after reading the reviews last paragraph, it's on point, don't buy that garbage, play the original if you can (not that it's extremely good but it's better at least) or play something else like early Might & Magic, Wizardry 6-7, Grimoire, ...

Edit: My bad for reading diagonally...

First blobber, those work, Might & Magic 6 to 8 work as well, save Wizardry 8 for later, it requires some light modding (wizfast, fastanim, extract + run them in the game's directory) and would spoil you too much as a first one.

Last edited:
Hands down: This game is the best blobber, one of the three best RPGs and in general one of the most motivating, imaginative and well thought out games I ever had the pleasure and privilege to enjoy. It doesn't welcome you if you are not willing to devote your time, nay your life to it. It may seem bumpy and sadistically hard at first, especially if you expect a game to explain itself to you. This game demands your full attention, your dedication, your willingness to learn and adapt and use every potential you have. The first minutes decide if you will presevere and become a believer - or if you'll end up as a nervous wrack, constantly ranting about balancing and control issues and damning the glorious Neanderthal until the end of your days. If you do sacrifice your time to Grimoire however you'll experience an adventure like no other and it's worth much, much more than the initial 40 bucks. It took me over a half year to finish the game but every single minute of it was pure enjoyment. It's like a wild and passionate love you'll never forget in your life.

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
There are a few that are good, but that is mostly despite the RT combat - not because of it.

Eye of the Beholder
Lands of Lore
Dungeon Master

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Hands down: This game is the best blobber, one of the three best RPGs and in general one of the most motivating, imaginative and well thought out games I ever had the pleasure and privilege to enjoy. It doesn't welcome you if you are not willing to devote your time, nay your life to it. It may seem bumpy and sadistically hard at first, especially if you expect a game to explain itself to you. This game demands your full attention, your dedication, your willingness to learn and adapt and use every potential you have. The first minutes decide if you will presevere and become a beliefer - or if you'll end up as a nervous wrack, constantly ranting about balancing and control issues and damning the glorious Neanderthal until the end of your days. If you do sacrifice your time to Grimoire however you'll experience an adventure like no other and it's worth much, much more than the initial 40 bucks. It took me over a half year to finish the game but every single minute of it was pure enjoyment. It's like a wild and passionate love you'll never forget in your life.

Thank you.

I stopped playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber while I work, spinning and clicking and then typing in some code. I have returned to only one bullet in the chamber during any given spin as a result of this feedback, mirroring my improved mental health. I have also switched to regular round nose ammunition instead of wadcutters.

What's wrong with putting the game on sale? You're posturing at a perceived hypocrisy where any rational person would interpret it as just another piece of Cleve's hyperbolic marketing. The game hasn't gone down in value; it still contains the full $40 of content, and more if you consider the significant post launch patches. At the risk of sounding like a Cleve Cultist I'll say that compared to all the rpgmaker titles and eastern european shovelware in the same price bracket on Steam it presents a stellar value proposition.
There's nothing wrong with putting it on sale.

What's wrong with busting Cleve's balls for saying he'd never put it on sale after he put it on sale? Is the resident 'thal too high and mighty to be laughed at when he acts like a spaz? Cleve is a festering asshole, he needs to be put in his place as much as any other asshole. Blaming customers for bugs in your horribly coded game and insinuating they magically uploaded a virus to your machine that put bugs in your game from uploading a save file is lolcow behavior and you're denying Cleve the growth he needs when you let shit like that go without rubbing it in his fat sweaty face.

The game never contained $40 worth of content. It definitely contains $2.50 worth of content.
Fuck you Cleve, you magnificent weirdo. Your theories on neanderthals are laughable but you sure are one tenacious fucker.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
What's wrong with putting the game on sale? You're posturing at a perceived hypocrisy where any rational person would interpret it as just another piece of Cleve's hyperbolic marketing. The game hasn't gone down in value; it still contains the full $40 of content, and more if you consider the significant post launch patches. At the risk of sounding like a Cleve Cultist I'll say that compared to all the rpgmaker titles and eastern european shovelware in the same price bracket on Steam it presents a stellar value proposition.

What's wrong with busting Cleve's balls for saying he'd never put it on sale after he put it on sale? Is the resident 'thal too high and mighty to be laughed at when he acts like a spaz? Cleve is a festering asshole, he needs to be put in his place as much as any other asshole. Blaming customers for bugs in your horribly coded game and insinuating they magically uploaded a virus to your machine that put bugs in your game from uploading a save file is lolcow behavior and you're denying Cleve the growth he needs when you let shit like that go without rubbing it in his fat sweaty face.

The game never contained $40 worth of content. It definitely contains $2.50 worth of content.
Fuck you Cleve, you magnificent weirdo. Your theories on neanderthals are laughable but you sure are one tenacious fucker.

This really is a glimpse into one man's desperate losing struggle with his own latent homosexuality. Five years later, this guy is dredging up some thing that happened in August 2017 because it is all he has left to live for.

This latchkey kid has grown into a man but his mom still keeps him chained to a pipe under the sink when she is at work with just enough length to reach the refrigerator and keyboard. He is watching the world go by and still fighting his imaginary battles with his imaginary enemies in August 2017. Keep winning cellar bro.

There's just one problem with all the issues you brought up ...

gissues.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
For a good intro into blobbers you can also try Legend of Grimrock
Grimrock is popamole like all RT blobbers.

It could have been ... so ... good ... had it been turn-based. The engine was awesome but real time doesn't work unless it has a sort of EOB phased quality which gives you some time to give commands. The frantic clicking does not feel like an RPG. If people wanted reality they would not play computer games.

The dreamlike quality of Disco Elysium and the pacing is why it is so rewarding to play as opposed to GrimRock which is like Diet Root Beer gone flat.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Grimrock is popamole like all RT blobbers.

It could have been ... so ... good ... had it been turn-based. The engine was awesome but real time doesn't work unless it has a sort of EOB phased quality which gives you some time to give commands.

The engine isn't good at all, it's graphically pleasing but nothing more and even graphically, it's limited, you can't see secrets buttons from afar so you have to hug every single wall or play with a walkthrough.

And of course, RT combat can't be dissociated from the engine and it's terrible, even if you take it as it is and change it to TB, it wouldn't just mystically get very good, it'd be mediocre at best.

Last but not least, the system is dumbed down so much the game is more a med-fan FPS than a blobber/dungeon crawler...

Last edited:

This really is a glimpse into one man's desperate losing struggle with his own latent homosexuality. Five years later, this guy is dredging up some thing that happened in August 2017 because it is all he has left to live for.

This latchkey kid has grown into a man but his mom still keeps him chained to a pipe under the sink when she is at work with just enough length to reach the refrigerator and keyboard. He is watching the world go by and still fighting his imaginary battles with his imaginary enemies in August 2017. Keep winning cellar bro.

There's just one problem with all the issues you brought up ...

View attachment 21006
U wot m8?

Hah, you would like everyone to forget all the times you showed your ass but 5 years isn't that long when the man himself is available for comment. People still make Monica Lewisnky jokes and that was what, 200, 300 years ago?
Anyway my mom warned me about people like you, she said there would be those who are intimidated by how cool I am (Coolest kid in class, I'll have you know). So I get it, but you need to work through your issues. Not the least is your predictable projection of your own obvious lust for man ass. It's OK to just be gay Cleve, you don't have to pretend anymore. Hell, you can wear a pretty dress and make everyone call you a beautiful woman, it's the 90s!

However, if you'd rather I make fun of you for something more recent you're gonna have to work hard to top your all time bests.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The wiki has been offline the past few times I've tried to check it. It was backed up in this thread (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...copied-here-grimoire-wiki-is-up-again.129093/), but I'm not sure if everything got copied over.

The guy who ran grimoire.wiki says he does not own the domain anymore. Probably let it expire without setting up automatic renewal.

The content of the website is also available in archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190101232217/http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Though the links do not work and you have to type in the page name individually on top.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
The wiki has been offline the past few times I've tried to check it. It was backed up in this thread (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...copied-here-grimoire-wiki-is-up-again.129093/), but I'm not sure if everything got copied over.

The guy who ran grimoire.wiki says he does not own the domain anymore. Probably let it expire without setting up automatic renewal.

The content of the website is also available in archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190101232217/http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Though the links do not work and you have to type in the page name individually on top.

I really should host that wiki. I have a new server set up and ready for the new home page for Grimoire & Golden Era games, will set it all up this month at some point. Will also put up the HTML version of the manual and a download link for the .PDF on the Golden Era Games page when it is ready. Going to need it in order to have a web page to support the blobber engine series I am working on now.

In the meanwhile it is great to know I can get the definitive version of the Wikli from here on the Codex.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So it's been a couple of years since I last came to this thread, did the printed manual/hintbook/dvds ever go out? Its space on my bookshelf is developing a patina.

You should have gotten a .PDF manual with your last update of the game.

Otherwise printing the boxed copy with manual and hintbook takes money. As soon as I make enough I will run them off for the IndieGoGo. I realize that some pledges may not be alive by the time that happens.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom