Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Cleve is contacting him either way so if he really has the tracks, there's no reason they won't be included in V4. On the other hand, you can't be sure of anything when it comes to CMB.

^ Top  
  2. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    I have the tracks, I just have to establish permission from Ellsworth to incorporate them into the game. Ellsworth has a previous agreement that the new tracks would be sold separately on a DVD on Steam in addition to being included in the game. I am behind on some royalty payments to Ellsworth so I have to clarify his permission before I just assume I can put them into the game.

They are incredible, they sound wonderful. I used the main theme in the GOG promo.

• Brofist x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    If you mean separate soundtrack dlc to listen outside the game, then sure, just make sure to include them in a lossless format, people hate compressed soundtracks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fluent Erudite Patron The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Hey guys, update time! :) According to Steam I'm 13.5 hours in, and honestly I'm having a blast. I'm playing very slowly to keep my YouTube Let's Play "live" (as in not recording hours and hours ahead) and I'm really enjoying the game and its intricacies. I'm currently in the
    Show Spoiler
    Cenotaph Of The Black Lich
    and I'm loving all the secrets the game has to offer. :) Little upgrades I'm finding are really great too, slowly building on each of the 8 characters to level them up and also get them some decent gear is a real hoot. The dungeons are fun with encounters, secrets and "stuff" to find. What a game. It's like a love letter to the genre really. Looking forward to playing MUCH more and continuing to progress the game and unravel its mysteries.

Quick question if I may. Do some items take "Super ID" to tell what they actually do? Or will more details be present in the regular Assay panel the higher the character doing the Assaying's skill is? Thanks! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    Super ID improves the amount of data available in the Assay panel and allows you to flip to the second screen of in-depth info as well as making available the extended description/story behind the item.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Fluent you can cast Super ID right before opening a chest (after disarming traps/lock picking) and then all the items you find will be automatically identified and scribed into your journal. For other items you missed identifying earlier, there are oracles that can do the same, and NPCs will also ID some items.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. roll-a-die Magister

roll-a-die
    I very rarely post here anymore, and when I do it's generally to shit post. That's my relationship with this forum really.

That's not gonna be this post.

I was initially reluctant to buy and play this game. Because Cleve, is as always a polarizing figure, but I figured for 2 dorrah, I'd be an idiot to not at least over inflate my steam library a bit more. And then I installed it... And then I fired it up and played it.

First play through, 2 hours. Stared at the character creation screen for 1 hour and 30 minutes while vaguely reading a wiki page about parties I've since found was heavily out dated. Got in, walked around, disliked the game but found something that made me stay, so I rerolled a couple days later.

Second play through... 10 hours, made it to a dungeon and realized my party comp was a failure.

So I'm presently about 25 hours into the rabbit hole, I've restarted two times. My current party is on my third playthrough...

Saurian Berserker - BEARMAN(This guy is about a quarter of my damage and kills.)
    Giant Blacksmith - IRON MAN(Semi regret this one, could probably be better off as a warrior, but maybe after I get out of demo land I'll manage to get use out of his crafting skills.)
    Durendil Templar - GAERCOLBAIN(Side note, really regret taking him, but I'm hoping he's just a late bloomer, and that I can find him a weapon he can actually use, so I don't just sick him on protection duty for his rank mate.)
    Naga Assassin - SERPANTATIS(This guy is easily half my damage)
    Rhattu Thief - IXA(Locks locks locks, literally just my trap monkey and some added damage with a poison dagger)
    Wolfin Cleric - MAID MA LE(Heal and buff bot, beep boop)
    Aeorb Sage - AEDILE(I may or may not have him already at 100 assaying at level 6)
    LITTLE ROSY (She is utterly OP, and is probably carrying me through this, replaced a Drow Necromancer I threw in because I needed more magic damage. I had gotten to the spirit caves last playthrough, and realized that I was 75% physical, and lacked the ability to knock out the ghosts. Literally took her because I wanted to see if she was as OP as people on forums say she is, answer: Kind of.)

The thing that convinced me to keep playing after that first play through, was actually that pillar in the first area. Which basically self satirizes Cleve's own persona. It was enough of a knock to the head, that I stopped judging it off of what I perceived was, Cleve, and more by what I perceive the product, what Grimoire... is.

EDIT: As an aside, how the fuck do I recover spirit?

EDIT2: I uhm... I figured it out from the manual.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. sigard Savant

sigard
    There was a time, back in the neanderthal era, so long ago, when Cleve said "it will never go on sale, it will forever be 40 bucks, this is my masterpiece and no shovelware garbage"
    On sale for 2$ two weeks ago :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • butthurt x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Thank you internet explorer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Arbaces Literate

Arbaces
    What's wrong with putting the game on sale? You're posturing at a perceived hypocrisy where any rational person would interpret it as just another piece of Cleve's hyperbolic marketing. The game hasn't gone down in value; it still contains the full $40 of content, and more if you consider the significant post launch patches. At the risk of sounding like a Cleve Cultist I'll say that compared to all the rpgmaker titles and eastern european shovelware in the same price bracket on Steam it presents a stellar value proposition.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Butter Arcane

Butter
    You can always buy copies for 19 of your friends.

• Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • consume product x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Rarre Educated

Rarre
    So, Is this game properly balanced now?

Is it worth It? Will be my first blobber. Or would you recommend a diffrente one?

Thanksss

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Realms of Arkania HD

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rarre Educated

Rarre
    This review put me of trying It... should I try?

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9224

thanks

• No No x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Go play Lands of Lore if you want a really good blobber. Grimoire is like the worst possible way to get into blobbers.

• Disagree x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't know, nobody ever reads those.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Well, I played the game for 1 or 2 hours a couple of years back and after reading the reviews last paragraph, it's on point, don't buy that garbage, play the original if you can (not that it's extremely good but it's better at least) or play something else like early Might & Magic, Wizardry 6-7, Grimoire, ...

Edit: My bad for reading diagonally...

First blobber, those work, Might & Magic 6 to 8 work as well, save Wizardry 8 for later, it requires some light modding (wizfast, fastanim, extract + run them in the game's directory) and would spoil you too much as a first one.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Hands down: This game is the best blobber, one of the three best RPGs and in general one of the most motivating, imaginative and well thought out games I ever had the pleasure and privilege to enjoy. It doesn't welcome you if you are not willing to devote your time, nay your life to it. It may seem bumpy and sadistically hard at first, especially if you expect a game to explain itself to you. This game demands your full attention, your dedication, your willingness to learn and adapt and use every potential you have. The first minutes decide if you will presevere and become a believer - or if you'll end up as a nervous wrack, constantly ranting about balancing and control issues and damning the glorious Neanderthal until the end of your days. If you do sacrifice your time to Grimoire however you'll experience an adventure like no other and it's worth much, much more than the initial 40 bucks. It took me over a half year to finish the game but every single minute of it was pure enjoyment. It's like a wild and passionate love you'll never forget in your life.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Brofist x 13
    • Button x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tomas Educated Patron

Tomas
    Strap Yourselves In
    For a good intro into blobbers you can also try Legend of Grimrock - more approachable, modern and not too long.

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Grimrock is popamole like all RT blobbers.

• FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    There are a few that are good, but that is mostly despite the RT combat - not because of it.

Eye of the Beholder
    Lands of Lore
    Dungeon Master

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Rarre Educated

Rarre
    Thx for your answers guys!

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    Thank you.

I stopped playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber while I work, spinning and clicking and then typing in some code. I have returned to only one bullet in the chamber during any given spin as a result of this feedback, mirroring my improved mental health. I have also switched to regular round nose ammunition instead of wadcutters.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    There's nothing wrong with putting it on sale.

What's wrong with busting Cleve's balls for saying he'd never put it on sale after he put it on sale? Is the resident 'thal too high and mighty to be laughed at when he acts like a spaz? Cleve is a festering asshole, he needs to be put in his place as much as any other asshole. Blaming customers for bugs in your horribly coded game and insinuating they magically uploaded a virus to your machine that put bugs in your game from uploading a save file is lolcow behavior and you're denying Cleve the growth he needs when you let shit like that go without rubbing it in his fat sweaty face.

The game never contained $40 worth of content. It definitely contains $2.50 worth of content.
    Fuck you Cleve, you magnificent weirdo. Your theories on neanderthals are laughable but you sure are one tenacious fucker.

• retadred x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • (autism) x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    This really is a glimpse into one man's desperate losing struggle with his own latent homosexuality. Five years later, this guy is dredging up some thing that happened in August 2017 because it is all he has left to live for.

This latchkey kid has grown into a man but his mom still keeps him chained to a pipe under the sink when she is at work with just enough length to reach the refrigerator and keyboard. He is watching the world go by and still fighting his imaginary battles with his imaginary enemies in August 2017. Keep winning cellar bro.

There's just one problem with all the issues you brought up ...

gissues.jpg

• Funny x 13
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.