Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Half Life 2 is great and I love it

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't like it, kids TV voice acting was a sledgehammer to my suspension of disbelief, not enough shooting, too much screwing around. Desperately needed more ammo especially rockets and grenades. Great tech though. Did not like Halflife either. I loved Portal.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
oh, the first xen chapter is short and trivially easy. interloper is absolute dogshit and unbalanced, and the end boss, nihilanth, is easy to cheese
I obviously meant the entire thing. This isn't even the first time that some retard tried to deflect by saying ‘WELL that one map named Xen wasn't THAT bad BUT XEN STILL SUCKS!!!’. If the only argument you can make are by being autistic, you might not have any argument at all.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, the fact that HL2 needs so many gimmicks to add variety just proves that its basic shooting mechanics are lackluster.

Doom, Quake, and most of the Build engine games don't need a ton of gimmicks to work. All they need is good level design and you're good to go.
The thousands of user made maps for Doom, Quake, and the Build engine prove that. Most of them only use the core weapons and enemies and rearrange them in nicely designed levels. Some add more enemies and weapons, like Quake's Arcane Dimensions, but they still feel very vanilla and the gameplay is still about running through a complex hub-like level killing enemies with satisfying shooting mechanics.

Most of the popular HL2 mods focus on physics shenanigans or experimental stuff that plays around with the engine, rather than offering a straightforward shooty experience.

As an FPS, HL2 sucks compared to others in the field.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played Half Life 2 when it first came out, and have absolutely no desire to ever play it again. I remember it being overlong and quite a slog by the end though I was initially enthralled. However, I do love the engine - one of my favorites - and tended to enjoy much more the mods and other games using it.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Also, the fact that HL2 needs so many gimmicks to add variety just proves that its basic shooting mechanics are lackluster.

Doom, Quake, and most of the Build engine games don't need a ton of gimmicks to work. All they need is good level design and you're good to go.
The thousands of user made maps for Doom, Quake, and the Build engine prove that. Most of them only use the core weapons and enemies and rearrange them in nicely designed levels. Some add more enemies and weapons, like Quake's Arcane Dimensions, but they still feel very vanilla and the gameplay is still about running through a complex hub-like level killing enemies with satisfying shooting mechanics.

Most of the popular HL2 mods focus on physics shenanigans or experimental stuff that plays around with the engine, rather than offering a straightforward shooty experience.

As an FPS, HL2 sucks compared to others in the field.
The ‘gimmicks’ aren't there to cover up anything. They ARE the game. The shooting could be better, but it's not like they couldn't have focused on that if they wanted to.

If you want to criticize HL2, please start using your brain.

seco

Educated
The ‘gimmicks’ aren't there to cover up anything. They ARE the game. The shooting could be better, but it's not like they couldn't have focused on that if they wanted to.

You don't need to use your brain for Half-Life.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

You don't need to use your brain for Half-Life.
You'd think, but seeing how many retards can't understand it, I have to disagree.

Pentium

Learned
People forget that there was a big build up for Half Life 2 and Doom 3 - they came out within months. Even if Half Life 2 wasn't the greatest FPS ever, it was light years ahead of the sluggish, poorly optimized, flashlightless, jump-scare abomination that was Doom 3. From this comparison, Half Life 2 got a huge bump, and as someone who played both the same year, it's easy to see the difference in quality. People judge Half Life 2 stand alone don't get it.
You forgot to mention the shitty spawn traps and hidden zombie rooms. Those might have worked in early 90s level design but make zero sense in a 2000s game trying to create believable environment. And the worst part is the jump scares don't even work as jump scares - they were only there to make you chew up the optical disc out of rage so you needed to buy the game again. Nice try, Id, but nope lol.

sin = linear scripted fps
Not quite so. Some decisions could affect the player's progress through the level, determine the order of levels, alter the structure or make them omit some of them altogether. It was actually quite a feat for an FPS back then.

xen is cool as shit stfu

everyone is just butthurt they fail at landing on giant, easy-to-reach platforms
Xen is botched up dogshit full of trivial platforming obviously put together in a hurry which doesn't compare with the rest of tha game, stop pretending. I understand the idea they had with the xen but it was an epic fail. The xen levels were more interesting in expansions thanks to some minor details like human equipment built in the xen world that immidiately gave the whole place a story. They didn't even bother in original HL.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
sin = linear scripted fps
Not quite so. Some decisions could affect the player's progress through the level, determine the order of levels, alter the structure or make them omit some of them altogether. It was actually quite a feat for an FPS back then.
‘Not quite so’ indeed, but the same goes for HL1 too. Sin has unique levels, but many are pretty linear in their own ways, and based around ‘gimmicks’ as much as those in Half-Life. The occurrence of more open or hub-like level design is not that special either, as Half-Life has that too and actually does it better. It does have CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE but it doesn't amount to much more than secret levels which most games had anyway. It's essentially just a different mode of presentation which isn't any better or worse than what Half-Life has.

Of course, HL2 is more linear than either, but who cares.

xen is cool as shit stfu

everyone is just butthurt they fail at landing on giant, easy-to-reach platforms
Xen is botched up dogshit full of trivial platforming obviously put together in a hurry which doesn't compare with the rest of tha game, stop pretending. I understand the idea they had with the xen but it was an epic fail. The xen levels were more interesting in expansions thanks to some minor details like human equipment built in the xen world that immidiately gave the whole place a story. They didn't even bother in original HL.
Xen only really appears again in Blue Shift, where it was nothing but a maze. This is a really boring meme-opinion with no basis in reality, stop pretending. The original Xen is infinitely more interesting and does in fact present a far greater story than you're willing to admit. Interloper is unironically one of the highlights of the entire game. They didn't even bother in Blue Shift.

Pentium

Learned
‘Not quite so’ indeed, but the same goes for HL1 too. Sin has unique levels, but many are pretty linear in their own ways, and based around ‘gimmicks’ as much as those in Half-Life. The occurrence of more open or hub-like level design is not that special either, as Half-Life has that too and actually does it better. It does have CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE but it doesn't amount to much more than secret levels which most games had anyway. It's essentially just a different mode of presentation which isn't any better or worse than what Half-Life has.
Eheh nope. HL1 is far more linear than Sin. It's basically a usual corridor design meaning you have to visit specific places in a specific order to be able to advance. It's just cleverly masked under using dead end turn-offs and hubs with shortcuts but the essence is still in 100% prearranged course of all actions with zero variations. Sin has some mid-level and inter-level variety. Of course the differenceas are not big but clearly distinguishable form HL.

Xen only really appears again in Blue Shift, where it was nothing but a maze. This is a really boring meme-opinion with no basis in reality, stop pretending.
99% consensus = with no basis in reality rofl. This "meme-opinion" exists due to the fact it's perfectly based in reality, idiot. Gaben himself trashed Xen. It's just some deviant hipsters like yourself coming up with forced opinions to stay out of mainstream. If the fail is admitted by one the authors then your delusion is utterly pointless.

The original Xen is infinitely more interesting and does in fact present a far greater story than you're willing to admit.
Are you retarded?
I understand the idea they had with the xen but it was an epic fail.
Yes, there was an interesting idea behind it but the implementation was just fail. That must be obvious to every non-delusional who has ever at least seen the inbound scene.

Interloper is unironically one of the highlights of the entire game.
I'm not even going to legitimize this troll nonsense crap by trying to argue against it. Piss off.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Eheh nope. HL1 is far more linear than Sin. It's basically a usual corridor design meaning you have to visit specific places in a specific order to be able to advance. It's just cleverly masked under using dead end turn-offs and hubs with shortcuts but the essence is still in 100% prearranged course of all actions with zero variations. Sin has some mid-level and inter-level variety. Of course the differenceas are not big but clearly distinguishable form HL.
nah it's all gimmicks bro :smug:

Xen only really appears again in Blue Shift, where it was nothing but a maze. This is a really boring meme-opinion with no basis in reality, stop pretending.
99% consensus = with no basis in reality rofl. This "meme-opinion" exists due to the fact it's perfectly based in reality, idiot. Gaben himself trashed Xen. It's just some deviant hipsters like yourself coming up with forced opinions to stay out of mainstream. If the fail is admitted by one the authors then your delusion is utterly pointless.

The original Xen is infinitely more interesting and does in fact present a far greater story than you're willing to admit.
Are you retarded?

Interloper is unironically one of the highlights of the entire game.
I'm not even going to legitimize this troll nonsense crap by trying to argue against it. Piss off.
:butthurt:

The only thing that makes Blue Shift's Xen ‘better’ is the fact it's easier for retards who think first-person platforming is shit because they can't handle long-jumping onto a few massive platforms. Imagine thinking some boxes with crystals is better than a spooky alien factory, wtf. And fuck the 99%, they're 100% retarded, as always.

I understand the idea they had with the xen but it was an epic fail.
Yes, there was an interesting idea behind it but the implementation was just fail. That must be obvious to every non-delusional who has ever at least seen the inbound scene.
why are you replying to yourself

Pentium

Learned
The ‘gimmicks’ aren't there to cover up anything.
youre mom is a gimick lmao
based around ‘gimmicks’ as much as those in Half-Life
nah it's all gimmicks bro
21911.jpg

The only thing that makes Blue Shift's Xen ‘better’ is the fact it's easier for retards who think first-person platforming is shit because they can't handle long-jumping onto a few massive platforms.
advocating platforming in FPS

:updatedmytxt:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The ‘gimmicks’ aren't there to cover up anything.
youre mom is a gimick lmao
based around ‘gimmicks’ as much as those in Half-Life
nah it's all gimmicks bro
21911.jpg
28313.jpg

The only thing that makes Blue Shift's Xen ‘better’ is the fact it's easier for retards who think first-person platforming is shit because they can't handle long-jumping onto a few massive platforms.
advocating platforming in FPS

:updatedmytxt:
I'm advocating that people git gud, yes.

Ash

Arcane
Hating on platforming in FPS is the all time DECLINE take and just another reason why we can't have nice things anymore. All the best FPS featured it, even Doom in primitive form. If you want meaningful verticality/elevation differences in level design and not just a flat plane, then there absolutely has to be platforming as an element of gameplay even if attempted to be made as optional as possible. Half-life has platforming. Quake has platforming. Unreal has platforming. Duke Nukem 3D has platforming. All the absolute gold standard FPS feature it. Can't you decline fags at least accept its presence for the sake of complex true interactive 3D level design? Not to mention I disagree with the notion that platforming in First person games is bad in any way shape or form. Get good goddamn it. Furthermore it adds a lot of depth to combat.
Well, I'll say it's actually kind of annoying in Half-life because of deceleration/inertia (every time you stop moving it takes a while to actually come to a stop, which makes platforming trickier than it needs to be, alongside the lack of air control) but that can at least be countered by tapping movement in the opposing direction.

Opinions like that is just one more thing that killed engaging, gameplay-oriented FPS and left us with the absolute shit we've been getting swarmed with since...2003?

Last edited:

Pentium

Learned
Hating on platforming in FPS is the all time DECLINE take and just another reason why we can't have nice things anymore. All the best FPS featured it, even Doom in primitive form. If you want meaningful verticality/elevation differences in level design and not just a flat plane, then there absolutely has to be platforming as an element of gameplay even if attempted to be made as optional as possible. Half-life has platforming. Quake has platforming. Unreal has platforming. Duke Nukem 3D has platforming. All the absolute gold standard FPS feature it. Can't you decline fags at least accept its presence for the sake of complex true interactive 3D level design? Not to mention I disagree with the notion that platforming in First person games is bad in any way shape or form. Get good goddamn it. Furthermore it adds a lot of depth to combat.
Well, I'll say it's actually kind of annoying in Half-life because of deceleration/inertia (every time you stop moving it takes a while to actually come to a stop, which makes platforming trickier than it needs to be, alongside the lack of air control) but that can at least be countered by tapping movement in the opposing direction.

Opinions like that is just one more thing that killed engaging, gameplay-oriented FPS and left us with the absolute shit we've been getting swarmed with since...2003?
:notsureifserious:

Furthermore it adds a lot of depth to combat.
ok got it :hahano:

not funny, bro

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
HL1=Ep2>OpFor>HL2>>>Ep1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>blue shift

Episode 2 really is the pinnacle of Half-Life 2's style of gameplay. The segments where you fight hunters contain some of the best fps design ever imo. It's genuinely a shame that we'll never see Episode 3, because alongside the great story Laidlaw had written out for it the gameplay probably would have been fantastic.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
HL1=Ep2>OpFor>HL2>>>Ep1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>blue shift

Episode 2 really is the pinnacle of Half-Life 2's style of gameplay. The segments where you fight hunters contain some of the best fps design ever imo. It's genuinely a shame that we'll never see Episode 3, because alongside the great story Laidlaw had written out for it the gameplay probably would have been fantastic.
HL1>HL2>EP2>EP1>Lost Coast>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OpFor>Blue Shift=Decay

AngryKobold

Arcane
My major complain about Half Life 2 is that it's been made as a direct sequel to Half Life. Let's be honest: it's a game based very loosely on the little of "setting" presented in HL. The continuity with events occuring in Black Mesa felt forced.
The main theme of HL was escape from deathtrap facility. Remove some names from HL2 writing and all what remains of HL is "A distopian future after interdimensional invasion: the shooter".

But that's fine, just introduce a new silent protagonist as if it's been done in add- ons to HL. But noooo.

Freeman exists in HL2 only to be a character for box art.

The only purpose of two NPCs from Black Mesa (the guard and doctor) is to force vision of a direct sequel.

G- Man in HL2 exists only to provide convenient deus ex machina and some brain fuckery. It's pointless, because Vortigaunts cover well the need for deus ex machina and brain fuckery. It's not the same role as in HL. Government man vs some kind of interdimensional saboteur. But let's keep it: G- Man introducing a new character brings some extra creepiness. Just how many people accepted "the job"?

I say there was a lot of business logic or low creativity behind the scenes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom