Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

sullynathan

Arcane
i'm holding out to play (pirate) when ODST, 4 & 5 come out. Those are the ones I haven't played since I played CE & 2 on PC 5 or so years ago.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Finished Halo 3 and it was a blast from start to finish. By far the most pleasant and consistent game of the trilogy. The story focused again on the master chief and the war instead of like being a clusterfuck like Halo 2 and there were fewer vehicle sections which I prefer. The only downside is that it was a bit too easy but Halo 2 was hard for all the wrong reasons so it didn't bother me that much(I think they even removed the Flood enemies with the rocket launchers?.

sullynathan

Arcane
Halo 3 was the peak of halo, especially when played in co-op.
Finished Halo 3 and it was a blast from start to finish. By far the most pleasant and consistent game of the trilogy. The story focused again on the master chief and the war instead of like being a clusterfuck like Halo 2 and there were fewer vehicle sections which I prefer. The only downside is that it was a bit too easy but Halo 2 was hard for all the wrong reasons so it didn't bother me that much(I think they even removed the Flood enemies with the rocket launchers?.
If you wanted, you could find the skulls and turn on difficulty modifiers.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm currently playing Halo 2, my old laptop can't run the remastered graphics, so I use the original version and I'm surprised how well it holds up.

Villagkouras

Arcane
We are 4 friends that we played the Halo series in couch versus since Halo 1. Halo 3 has the best maps for this purpose. Small but really well designed maps that keep the game flowing. We had a 4 hour session this afternoon, it was a blast.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Paying to play a 10+ year old game with graphics/effects upscaled to high resolution and keyboard + mouse controls doesn't really sound appealing to me. I've looked at gameplay and it simply doesn't have the fidelity of a native PC game. Though I have fond memories of Halo 3 so I might just throw the old disk in my 360 and give it a spin.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Paying to play a 10+ year old game with graphics/effects upscaled to high resolution and keyboard + mouse controls doesn't really sound appealing to me. I've looked at gameplay and it simply doesn't have the fidelity of a native PC game. Though I have fond memories of Halo 3 so I might just throw the old disk in my 360 and give it a spin.

Haven't played 2 or 3 yet, but the Halo 1 remaster has perfect mouse aim, and Halo's combat was always pretty good. Console controls got by with massive sticky-aim, not with CoD style stand in place popamole. FOV settings, 144fps... it felt like a great PC shooter. Don't dismiss it for silly reasons.

P.S. According to Digital Foundry they finally fixed Reach's audio. Not the high framerate support though. Reach is the one that feels like a meh console port.

JDR13

Arcane
Glad to hear they're still patching the games that are already released. I purchased the collection during the Steam sale but haven't touched it yet.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Personally I only played on my friend's console (and never had an Xbox/360), so just using the console isn't an option for me. I don't get what you meant with fidelity of a native PC game, though in my case I find that the games I've played (Reach, 1&2) run reasonably well, even when switching between the two rendering modes for Halo 1 & 2.

On another note, I'm finding the Flood sections in Halo 2 to be less fun than in 1. I think it's caused by smaller area, flood forms that are more bullet spongy (to say nothing of those with shields), not enough Floods dropping grenades and not enough shotgun ammo. Though the sections with the sentinel laser/beam are at least easier, since that weapon cut through the flood very easily, even if ammo goes just as fast.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Halo and Forza still the two main reasons I haven't cancelled Game Pass yet, hopefully Halo: Infinite will hit the service as well. From what I understand all MS Studio games should always hit Game Pass (and indefinitely) so that's nice.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Went back to Halo 1 so I can eventually get to 3, which I've never played, and man... The Library might be the worst FPS level of all time, right? I'm on heroic and you die pretty fast, and there's just endless swarms of enemies in tight identical corridors for over an hour. You have to kill everything to get a checkpoint too usually, and it's so fucking tedious. I stopped playing for months because I didn't want to play that level again. Glad it's over.

ekrolo2

Learned
Went back to Halo 1 so I can eventually get to 3, which I've never played, and man... The Library might be the worst FPS level of all time, right? I'm on heroic and you die pretty fast, and there's just endless swarms of enemies in tight identical corridors for over an hour. You have to kill everything to get a checkpoint too usually, and it's so fucking tedious. I stopped playing for months because I didn't want to play that level again. Glad it's over.
I actually found it far more tolerable on another go. Probably thanks to the new graphics removing a lot of the visual tedium. Two Betrayals is far and away shittier.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I actually found it far more tolerable on another go. Probably thanks to the new graphics removing a lot of the visual tedium. Two Betrayals is far and away shittier.

Hmm, I just did that one and enjoyed it much more. Halo's best when there's wide open spaces and multiple objectives, IMO. The flood could get annoying in that level too, but they're spread out and broken up by normal covenant and vehicle sections. Library is way worse, I think. Neither is anywhere near the early levels though, I agree with that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished it. The whole second half is pretty bad overall, really. I thought Two Betrayals was probably the best level in the second half if I'm being honest. Shame since the first half is pretty good and something I'll defend from try-hards any day. I don't remember Halo 2's covenant to flood ratio, but I hope its better.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-...knocked-down-and-freedom-to-explore-says-dev/

Halo Infinite Is Halo CE with Walls Knocked Down and Freedom to Explore, Says Dev
By Alessio Palumbo
17 hours ago
Share Tweet Submit

Halo Infinite will usher the series towards open-ended gameplay, as glimpsed in the gameplay showcased a few days ago. As part of a recent press Q&A session we were a part of, 343 Industries Studio Head Chris Lee described the approach as taking Halo Combat Evolved, knocking walls down, and giving players complete freedom to explore the ringworld.

The campaign in Halo Infinite is the most ambitious campaign we have ever created in a Halo game. It's this open, expansive experience for players, and it's several times larger than our last two campaigns put together. I think the way to think about it is this is Halo's take on open gameplay and what kind of providing the player with unprecedented levels of freedom can feel like. We really wanted to capture that moment of players being able to kind of feel what it would be like to be on a foreigner ring and unlock secrets and kind of new equipment or upgrades along the way as they're playing through the campaign. And I have one way to kind of give them more concrete examples when you're looking at the demo. We showed and you're on the elevator looking out over that vista. There's a ton of the ring that you can see there and that is just part of the space that players will be able to explore and where Master Chief's story will take you throughout our campaign experience.

One way to think about it that we talked about sometimes is to think about taking Halo CE, knocking the walls down and then giving players the freedom to explore. And while we have that kind of open experience, we do want there to be equipment and upgrades that you can find in the world along the way, so there are things that you can engage with along the way to do that as you traverse the world and continue Master Chief's story.

Halo Infinite is coming out this Holiday on PC (Steam, Microsoft Store), Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Check back later today for our full transcript of the Q&A with 343 Industries.

Translation: Halo Infinite is Halo CE without level design.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-...knocked-down-and-freedom-to-explore-says-dev/

Halo Infinite Is Halo CE with Walls Knocked Down and Freedom to Explore, Says Dev
By Alessio Palumbo
17 hours ago
Share Tweet Submit

Halo Infinite will usher the series towards open-ended gameplay, as glimpsed in the gameplay showcased a few days ago. As part of a recent press Q&A session we were a part of, 343 Industries Studio Head Chris Lee described the approach as taking Halo Combat Evolved, knocking walls down, and giving players complete freedom to explore the ringworld.

The campaign in Halo Infinite is the most ambitious campaign we have ever created in a Halo game. It's this open, expansive experience for players, and it's several times larger than our last two campaigns put together. I think the way to think about it is this is Halo's take on open gameplay and what kind of providing the player with unprecedented levels of freedom can feel like. We really wanted to capture that moment of players being able to kind of feel what it would be like to be on a foreigner ring and unlock secrets and kind of new equipment or upgrades along the way as they're playing through the campaign. And I have one way to kind of give them more concrete examples when you're looking at the demo. We showed and you're on the elevator looking out over that vista. There's a ton of the ring that you can see there and that is just part of the space that players will be able to explore and where Master Chief's story will take you throughout our campaign experience.

One way to think about it that we talked about sometimes is to think about taking Halo CE, knocking the walls down and then giving players the freedom to explore. And while we have that kind of open experience, we do want there to be equipment and upgrades that you can find in the world along the way, so there are things that you can engage with along the way to do that as you traverse the world and continue Master Chief's story.

Halo Infinite is coming out this Holiday on PC (Steam, Microsoft Store), Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Check back later today for our full transcript of the Q&A with 343 Industries.

After playing "The Library" I'm not sure CE had much of it to begin with.

ekrolo2

Learned
Finished it. The whole second half is pretty bad overall, really. I thought Two Betrayals was probably the best level in the second half if I'm being honest. Shame since the first half is pretty good and something I'll defend from try-hards any day. I don't remember Halo 2's covenant to flood ratio, but I hope its better.
If you hate the Flood, 2 will break your balls.

baud

Arcane
Patron

I was also playing on Heroic, I had fun in that level, except in the few area where there wasn't any room to backtrack to. Perhaps I just enjoy mindlessy shooting stuff. One things that's good with the Flood is that I had no ammo issues and the Flood dropped a lot of grenades, so the whole way through the level was a continuous chain of explosion, especially how in Halo dropped grenades can be detonated by other grenades.

If you hate the Flood, 2 will break your balls.

At least in 2 with the Flood you sometime get access to sentinel weapons that kill really quickly the flood. Though if only there wasn't those shielded flood forms...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was also playing on Heroic, I had fun in that level, except in the few area where there wasn't any room to backtrack to. Perhaps I just enjoy mindlessy shooting stuff. One things that's good with the Flood is that I had no ammo issues and the Flood dropped a lot of grenades, so the whole way through the level was a continuous chain of explosion, especially how in Halo dropped grenades can be detonated by other grenades.

Fair enough. It wasn't unplayable by any means, I just found it really tedious. And if you are too close to an exploding flood or shotgun flood, you die instantly on heroic. I just really wanted it over with halfway through so every time more spawned in or I randomly died I was pretty annoyed. But I got through it, no biggie.

baud

Arcane
Patron

Fair enough. It wasn't unplayable by any means, I just found it really tedious. And if you are too close to an exploding flood or shotgun flood, you die instantly on heroic. I just really wanted it over with halfway through so every time more spawned in or I randomly died I was pretty annoyed. But I got through it, no biggie.

From what I remember, exploding flood lagged behind the rest so that I could kill them from distance and the shotgun ones are slow enough to kill first (or move back so their shotguns are useless).

But yeah, I died a bunch of times too, but it stayed fun for the most part; I think because the flood forced me to stay mobile, so it felt more dynamic.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Halo 2 runs a lot worse than Halo 1 on my machine, which is a bummer. Note by worse I mean drops to 90fps or so, instead of a locked 144, but it's still kind of odd. Googling though I see it was made for the One S and not the 360, so I guess that's why.

JDR13

Arcane

By Alessio Palumbo
17 hours ago
Share Tweet Submit

After playing "The Library" I'm not sure CE had much of it to begin with.

Heh heh... I haven't played Halo since the original PC port, and I can still remember how repetitive and grindy The Library was.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
ODST test this month: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-july-2020

Postums here to share a bountiful update this month on everything that is Halo: The Master Chief Collection (MCC). For those who have been paying attention, it has been a packed month with lots of new information coming from the studio. July felt like the month of Halo. With that in mind, we have a handful of things to talk about in today’s update!

Halo 3 launched earlier this month onto PC. With it, we had a handful of fixes across the collection, including the audio for Halo 3 and Halo: Reach. We’re going to talk with the partners that helped upgrade the audio before shifting gears to discuss how our investigation into Halo 3’s hit registration is going.

Next, we’ll look to the future and our next Season of content for MCC, this will include details about some new options inside of Halo 3: ODST’s Firefight. Then, we’ll set the table for what folks can expect when ODST flighting comes online next month. To wrap everything up we have a juicy State of the Game to confirm a lot of additional work items that are now in development! Now then, let’s get into it!

Zlaja

Arcane
I can't believe some of you guys are whining about the library level. Damn snowflakes! Go and show mommy where the flood touched you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom