Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Andhaira

Arcane
Took me 2 hours to clean up previous version of Andy and then reinstall the latest version. Then I got the HS apk, it installed, then it downloaded 500mb update, and after logging in from Andy it's now updating AGAIN. Muh bandwidth.

Also installing build prop on Andy, this bettah work!

UglyBastard

Arcane
Ok I just tried this method and it definitely works.

Worked like a charm.

Don't forget to also play a game when you are using the emulator method, you get an extra pack for playing on an Android phone (you can concede after game start).

I activated the bonus on all 3 servers. Got The Beast on Asia, where I never play, and a duplicate Nozdormu on NA. Not bad! I also got Ancient of Lore on both EU and ASIA where it is useless, but not on NA where I actually need it. Game is trolling.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
any way to emulate without rooting the phone?
I don't want to wipe it and CBA copying shit.

edit: oh yeah I guess there should be some windows emulator somewhere.

hivemind

people that actually bother emulating a children's card game to get a card back and some free packs are fucking hilarious

Grubba

Arcane
I just borrowed a co-worker's S6 to get my three free for logging in (pulled a Cenarius but already had one so that's 400 automatic dust). Played a game to get the additional free pack but it hasn't shown up...hmmm...Maybe they stopped that?

The card back isn't bad. Certainly not as hideous as most of the monthly ones.

Andhaira

Arcane
Got a shit epic (doomsayer) and a shit golden rare (a murloc to boot) plus a nice amount of dust. When I dust the two epics that'll be an extra 200 dust. Not too shabby, but could've been a lot better like epics I am missing and could actually use, and maybe a legendary (or golden legend)

Grubba

Arcane
I'm starting to come around on this brawl...I've gotten to do some wacky shit that I never would do normally:

- killed The Beast with Hemet Nesingwary (which won the game)
- killed Deathwing and Mal'Ganis with Rend Blackhand (won the former)
- killed opponent with the mine from Iron Juggernaut.

Good times.

My last game my opening hand was, I shit you not: Tinkmaster Overspark, Recombobulator, and Gnomish Experiementer. WTF

hivemind

Question to people who are into card games in general:

How "skill" is actually hearthstone compared to other card games like magic or whatever?

I only ever played yu-gi-oh when I was a kid and the only real tournament memory I have is jewing some other kid out of a win in the first round because he couldn't speak English very well and I just interpreted the card effects to how was beneficial to me.

Most players are pretty bad at Hearthstone/don't understand the game. The high level of RNG encourages a much more casual audience than even something as simple as Magic. It is therefore pretty easy to do very well at Hearthstone if you have a modicum of skill, and don't mind the timesink (which is where I personally find burnout. I can rarely be bothered to play more than once or twice a week, and as a result I haven't made it past rank 10 in months, despite having a win rate of close to 70%).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There isn't much point to ranking other than your own personal satisfaction. You get a crappy card back for hitting legend... huzzah. Other than that, as RS mentions even the skilled players need to spend inordinate amounts of time to get high enough within the legend rank to qualify for tournaments and such. They might introduce more 'casual' tournaments with this announcement coming in a few days (like the ones they had back in WC3 and such on the old Battle.net).

I play about five hours a week. Enough to complete daily quests, the Brawl for the card pack, and maybe an Arena once in awhile.

New players today start very much behind the eight ball. You can probably skip on BRM aside from the first wing but owning all of Naxx ($30ish or 3,000 gold) is basically a requirement now. Add to that the fifty or so classic packs you'll need to open and the twenty or so GvG's and you're looking at $100+ upfront cost or hope you are insanely good at arena to average 10+ wins for the extra gold. Daily quests are only going to net you maybe 350-400 gold a week. And while you can earn up to an additional 100 gold a day grinding quests it's not worth it assuming you have at least a minimum wage job.

It's not like Heroes of the Storm where you're given a rotation of half a dozen free heroes a week and you can buy three or four of your own within a couple of weeks unlocking level rewards and dailies. It's a massive cash/time sink now.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
To be fair, Magic the Gathering has a much higher financial barrier to entry. A cheap competitive standard deck is like $250. A cheap modern deck is like 1k dollars. Legacy, 2k dollars. And yes, you can always play a budget deck that's much cheaper and might even win your local FNM, but you aren't going to place at a GP or whatever with it.

On top of that, every single even costs real money. $5 for an FNM. $12-15 for a draft. $25-30 for a sealed/pre release. $30 for a 5k / PTQ. so on and so forth. Plus you have to (usually) drive there which costs gas, buy food while you're out for an extended period of time, etc. Point is that MTG costs a metric fuckton compared to Hearthstone, even beyond the "a boo hoo $100 to instantly jump in with a competitive deck"

Btw, gotta disagree with <3sRichardSimmons . As someone who used to play an inordinate amount of MTG, going to multiple events a week at different card shops and placed in a 5k - there are a metric shitton of casual MTG players. Wizards and card store owners alike have admitted that the majority of revenue actually comes from the drooling kitchen table / EDH players who buy a couple of boxes every set and think their dragon deck is "epic".

As for hivemind 's initial question. Well, to be totally honest, I'd wager that there's similar RNG to hearthstone and MTG. I know that sounds crazy since Hearthstone has tons of literal random elements, but in Magic it's not uncommon for a game to be entirely dictated by who hit their land drops. I've seen actual pro-tour players get blown out by random kids just because they miss their turn 3 land drop and don't draw lands for the next few turns. Most MTG players will scream "b-b muh legacy!" yeah, well, a lot of legacy games are won on off of opening hands. If your opponent is playing Belcher (not even a tier 1 deck) and you don't have the answer to it and they draw the nuts hand, then gg.

There is however a lot of arbitrary rules-lawyering that can win MTG games. The game is extremely unclear for a lot of interactions and The Stack is very unforgiving for new players. It's not uncommon for a new player to, for example, have their creature blocked in combat, kill the blocking creature with a spell, then become extremely confused that the attacking creature deals no damage - that sort of thing, and that's the simplest possible interaction I could think of. In order to become a Magic the Gathering Judge you have to study obscure card interactions and take an extensive online test, not unlike becoming an accountant or something :lol:

So basically, the answer is... yes and no.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Hearthstone is a shitty game that we all love to play, let's admit to this and move on.

The point is that people like to pretend Hearthstone is shittier than it really is. Could it be more competitive? Of course. To this date Might and Magic Duel of Champions and Scrolls are the most purely competitive "card" games I've played. They're also so boring for plebs that they fell on their faces and died.

People overestimate the skill factor of games like MTG and poker while also underestimating Hearthstone's. All of the games require skill and the skill circlejerk is ultimately pointless.

AMG

Arbiter
To this date Might and Magic Duel of Champions and Scrolls are the most purely competitive "card" games I've played. They're also so boring for plebs that they fell on their faces and died.
I really doubt it has anything to do with that. Never played Scrolls, but I don't see how DoC is too high brow for the "casuals". It is actually super similar to Hearthstone, except it has more positional board and a bit of a resource system.
Imo it has everything to do with marketing. If Blizzard shat out DoC, I bet it would be just as popular as Hearthstone.

As for the skill in HS, well it's a card game and on top of that rather simple one. So most of the skill is probably in deckbuilding rather that actually playing. Although it gets better with time, for example patron warrior is pretty tough to play optimally.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Are you joking? It's like night and day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jgPGycoDxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNANDyhCVI#t=3m34s

On every single possible level there's more to DoC than Hearthstone. Plus there's actually counterplay to the huge combos in DoC, unlike Hearthstone where combos have to be removed/nerfed consistently or are extremely goldfishy. Even the simplest aggro decks in DoC require perfect positioning. Dismissing massive aspects of the game that will cause a more skilled player to dominate lesser skilled ones just shows your lack of understanding for the systems.

Did you actually play the game or just go through the tutorial and shrug?

And yes, I would actually just play DoC if Ubishit didn't fuck everything up with their "rotation" nonsense and shit monetization that killed the game.

AMG

Arbiter
Did I write anything to the contrary? As I said DoC is Hearthstone+. I didn't say that positioning is not important, but 4 lanes and 2 rows is hardly complex. I'm just saying that if you dropped a Hearthstone veteran into DoC, he would almost instantly find his bearings, so I disagree with you that it failed on account of being too complicated.

In both games you can't interfere with opponents turn. Both have heroes with hero powers. In both you gain one universal mana each turn. Creatures damage is persistent, yadda yadda. All these concepts carry over, which can't be said for MTG. There is just more stuff, most of which is hardly unintuitive. 3 resources, event cards, graveyard, board layout comprehensible by small children. The biggest difference is probably deckbuilding, since there is a multitude of heroes, magic schools work differently and you have to take a lot more into account.

As for combos, I don't know really, I didn't stick with the game that long to become super knowledgeable about it. But I remember there being Academy deck that draws it's whole library in one turn, and before that there were some OTK decks with Throne of Renewal blocking you from playing creatures, so it had its fair share of gay stuff as well, counterable or not. Also everybody playing Dark Assassin, Pao Deathseekers etc, what I'm saying is that card design was rather poor, in my non expert opinion. I actually would prefer Hearthstone cards, if they weren't full of random shit.

I play Hearthstone because it has Arena mode, simple as that. Maybe they added something similar to DoC, but I am long past caring.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I think you're vastly overestimating the average person's willingness to learn game mechanics.

The positioning aspect of the game alone would stonewall a lot of people. Hearthstone is so wildly successful because you just drag and drop cards onto the enemy's face and/or guys.

Scrolls was actually simpler than DoC and a lot of people on forums/comments worldwide expressed that it was just too much to keep track of :lol:

Anyway, this is a pretty wild tangent. I was just explaining that DoC and Scrolls with its lack of RNG everywhere were better than Hearthstone and MTG in terms of sheer competitiveness - and that ultimately the "my game has more skill" circlejerk doesn't matter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Magic might have had a higher barrier to entry but being a physical card game a player could always resell the stuff he bought to recover at least a portion of what he spent.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Still not going to get a return on entry fees, gas/food/etc unless you're part of the top 10% or whatever (don't know the actual percent) who can actually break even or ahead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never mind the shame of having to show up in a public place to reveal to the world you play a dorky card game!

hivemind

and it fucking happened again

blizzard owes me 300 gold

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom