Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That will depend on your definition of tempo. If you define it by control of the board, and how much pressure you're applying on your opponent, then playing a 4 mana 6/7 would grant you tempo.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah it lets you coin+ogre on turn 4 but anyone can coin+ogre on turn 5. Like phage said there aren't that many 0 mana spells other than backstab and coin that allow you to trigger this early. As such it's a more value oriented card that will be good in Arena but less so in constructed. Odds are you're more likely going to be playing it past turn four or five. Nice to get a discount ogre but hard to see what kind of constructed deck it fits into. It would obviously be a slower deck and if it's not coming out until turn six (with deadly poison) then you're arguably better off playing Emperor getting a discount on every card in your hand. Emperor doesn't trade as well but it acts like a soft taunt.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It fits into none unless a 0 mana card as good as backstab is created, and even then there's no guarantee it'd make it in.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
635742035514171459.png

You know, it's super tempting for me to yell out "IT'S A 4/2 FOR 3 FUCK THIS SHIT." But it is possible this card could be used someday. Probably not after this expansion unless some crazy new spell damage guys are revealed. If we were to get enough decent spell damage cards like Bloodmage Thalnos from cumulative expansions, this could be a strong card.

Sucks in arena though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Preparation is the other 0-mana spell Rogues have, but I've no idea how often you get that in Arena or if you'd even want to take it. For constructed, I'd still rather have a Shredder or Violet Teacher on turn-3/4/5 and be coining/prepping removals. A 4-mana 6/7 still gets easily removed by a lot of stuff when the Rogue really needs to be sticking to the board and cycling/drawing cards. A 3/5 + some 1/1's or the Piloted Shredder will usually stick. You could potentially be losing tempo as a Rogue if you play this minion and they just polymorph it or frog it or whatever. What's kinda interesting is that the Rogue already has a variant of the big 5-minion 6/6 that sticks in the Ogre Ninja (tradeoff being an oops or two). 5/5 Loatheb also sticks if played on turn 5 and often times will survive even if played a few turns later and is almost always a tempo gain. I can't see the card being used in any current Rogue deck, but who knows. In Arena, I'd probably (theoretically?) rather take the safe Boulderfist option more often than not.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Not counting prep because going turn 5 prep into that ogre (or any minion/weapon combo card) is fucking retarded lol

Andhaira

Arcane
635742035514171459.png

You know, it's super tempting for me to yell out "IT'S A 4/2 FOR 3 FUCK THIS SHIT." But it is possible this card could be used someday. Probably not after this expansion unless some crazy new spell damage guys are revealed. If we were to get enough decent spell damage cards like Bloodmage Thalnos from cumulative expansions, this could be a strong card.

Sucks in arena though.

Only worthwhile with a turn 2 Thalnos already on board. Kobold Geomancer won't cut it by itself, even though this card's effect is a battlecry, because geomancer is shit.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not counting prep because going turn 5 prep into that ogre (or any minion/weapon combo card) is fucking retarded lol

You prep into a removal spell. FoK/Eviscerate/Sap are all 0-mana with prep.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You prep into a removal spell. FoK/Eviscerate/Sap are all 0-mana with prep.
And how many times is that going to happen? The more remote situations you have to concoct to justify the value of a card the less it truly is valuable.

Re: Master of Ceremonies. It's fairly bad. Only way you're going to get good value from it is playing Thalnos and people who play Thalnos usually save it to boost removal. And it would be, at best, a turn 5 play because Thalnos probably isn't going to survive a turn. Or, yeah you could blow an innervate or other crap but... no.

sser

Arcane
Developer
And how many times is that going to happen? The more remote situations you have to concoct to justify the value of a card the less it truly is valuable.

Re: Master of Ceremonies. It's fairly bad. Only way you're going to get good value from it is playing Thalnos and people who play Thalnos usually save it to boost removal. And it would be, at best, a turn 5 play because Thalnos probably isn't going to survive a turn. Or, yeah you could blow an innervate or other crap but... no.

How many times...? Every single game as a Rogue, for starters. The problem isn't that the value of the card goes down because of it, the problem is that it most likely still doesn't stick to the board in the same manner the above-mentioned cards would.

hivemind

I like the master of ceremonies because it basically makes fun decks stronger.

like yeah no legend constructed autist person is ever going to use it but that one guy at rank 15 or whatever who has a spell damage deck because fucking dealing a lot of damage with spells in a children's card game is fun just got a pretty strong 3 drop to help him out

more cards like this

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Re: new vote, looks like Rogues get Anub'arak and Druids get Aveena. Curious to see what Anub will do.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How many times...? Every single game as a Rogue, for starters. The problem isn't that the value of the card goes down because of it, the problem is that it most likely still doesn't stick to the board in the same manner the above-mentioned cards would.
Every single game as a rogue you're prepping into FoK/Evis on turn five?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Every single game as a rogue you're prepping into FoK/Evis on turn five?

Prep is used for a variety of spells, yes. If I prep-eviscerate/sap enemy minion off the board and play Loatheb, I've most likely got total board control. If I do the same and play the 6/7, I do not have that assurance because it's very likely he will be removed and replaced by an enemy minion.

sser

Arcane
Developer
You seem to be arguing against yourself at this point.

I wasn't justifying the card in the first place, but noting that the mechanics to produce it via prep would be no different than using prep to push tempo with a Loatheb/Loatheb/Violet Teacher. Saying "using prep for that would be retarded lol" just shows you don't know fuck all about playing Rogue.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I wasn't justifying the card in the first place, but noting that the mechanics to produce it via prep would be no different than using prep to push tempo with a Loatheb/Loatheb/Violet Teacher. Saying "using prep for that would be retarded lol" just shows you don't know fuck all about playing Rogue.

I was referring to Prep->Ogre without another spell in the middle. Pretty easy context to understand. Generally you want to use Prep on a 3+ mana spell. Sprint is generally the most preferred. You use it with Evis to finish someone off, or to stabilize. You don't something retarded like Prep + Poison just to enable a combo. You can do it, but it's not a good spot to be in.

My point is the class needs another combo-enabler if they're going to push out minions with Combo. It's why Defias Ringleader doesn't get played. SI7 Agent makes it in because he's so ridiculous, but even still, he's unfathomably better with a coin in hand than without.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Despite your PhD in Children's Card Games it would seem I know more about playing rogue than you. So if I don't know 'fuck all' then you must be at 'fuck all -10.'

sser

Arcane
Developer
I was referring to Prep->Ogre without another spell in the middle. Pretty easy context to understand. Generally you want to use Prep on a 3+ mana spell. Sprint is generally the most preferred. You use it with Evis to finish someone off, or to stabilize. You don't something retarded like Prep + Poison just to enable a combo. You can do it, but it's not a good spot to be in.

My point is the class needs another combo-enabler if they're going to push out minions with Combo. It's why Defias Ringleader doesn't get played. SI7 Agent makes it in because he's so ridiculous, but even still, he's unfathomably better with a coin in hand than without.

It's not really easy context to understand because who the hell does that? The assumption with Prep is that it's always doing what it's advertised to do. But yes, prep --> straight into a minion is retarded.

Considering Prep makes most of their spells 0-mana, I'm not sure they need any more cheap-o combo enablers. If they did, I'd definitely be interested to see what it could be.

Assuming the opponent has something on the board, I'd still rather play something like Violet Teacher --> coin, Poison, Prep-spell or whatever.

I still think this minion only sees play in a Rogue deck that moves towards minions instead of oils. In that case, hell, maybe the Defias bros will see more play.

Despite your PhD in Children's Card Games it would seem I know more about playing rogue than you. So if I don't know 'fuck all' then you must be at 'fuck all -10.'

Apparently not, MYN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom