Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I think they just realized that their concept of 1 mana Paladin secrets completely failed and that they had to introduce something broken to make it work.
The design space of 1 mana secrets was not that wide to begin with and not even Mad Scientist was enough to make them playable.

On an entirely technical level, the introduction of Mysterious Challenger was a big success. It introduced 5 more mainly unplayed cards back into the meta (the secrets) and spawned one of the very few TGT decks.
Unfortunately, the archetype that they created is some at least mildly toxic cancer deck and Challenger is the card that makes it very frustrating to play against.

Sure, but now they will have to make every Paladin secret from here on out with MC in mind, or nerf MC. Thus, literally and actually limiting design space.

I'm not saying MC is that big of a deal (I've always been slightly underwhelmed by it unless the Paladin is already winning), but it is the kind of card that will limit what Blizzard does moving forward - unless they finally implement a rotation system.

These cards that cheat out other cards, or create a huge combo with no counterplay, are problems in this regard to be honest.

Mystary!

Arcane
Never seen so many instaconcedes. There's just no way to deal with crazy shit like Anub-Arak, Varian Win, Tirion or whaveter at turn 2-3.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Spelleater doesn't work. Her battlecry doesn't trigger, I dunno if it's just in Brawl or a global issue. Nice job Blizzcuck

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
He's right btw

Well, I don't think they should have settled on this incarnation of Warsong, but he's right about why they changed it.

Anyone seriously exclaiming "RIP PATRON WARRIOR :( " are fucking delusional. Anyways, see you nerds next time something happens to this dumb game.

Andhaira

Arcane
This Brawl is really fun. Super easy to do 60 gold quests, and a lot of fun besides.

Just played as Warrior for lulz and got double Varian Wrynn. MADNESS MEN!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Meh, I understand why they did it, but I still think they could've nerfed the deck without killing it. If only for the diversity of the ladder and such.

Grubba

Arcane
Just played as Warrior for lulz and got double Varian Wrynn. MADNESS MEN!

I've only played a few of this brawl but still saw duplicate legendaries in each one. Played as hunter and got 2x King Krush in two games and played against a paladin who got fucking 2x Tirion.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Oh the irony...

Patron was not really bad for ladder diversity, it's not that every retard was grinding with Patron, it was a regular occurence but not more prevalent than the usual suspects like Cancer Pala, Druid etc. Now that it's gone, the Secret Pally will roam freely and infest everything.
The only format where it was overabundant was tournaments, where it sported a whooping 50% win rate.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, they should've nerfed Frothing instead, Patron deck would be still competitive and less ridiculous, everyone wins.

And yeah, if there's a class that needs a nerf much more it's Pally. So that one didn't quite hit the mark.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think the idea is that Warsong would've continued to cause problems down the road. That's why he talks about how they probably should've done a bigger change when they chunked the molten giants charge combo way back when. Also talked about how a card like Dreadsteed couldn't be a neutral because of a card like Warsong.

I still think the draw engine of these strong decks is what makes them so strong. Knocking Warsong out because it affected game design makes sense, but in a vacuum I always thought cards like Battle Rage/Divine Favor are what make these decks so ridiculous.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Divine Favor, in particular, is a pretty ridiculous card for aggro decks and completely nullifies the drawback of stacking your deck with low mana cards (you blow your hand fast) provided you're able to get one in a timely manner. At the same time it also punishes players for playing control.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
It's funny when Ben Brode says new player experience was one of the reasons behind the nerf. Cause what they did is simply render a basic card unplayable for them (and everybody else).

Andhaira

Arcane
No one used to use Frothing Berserker as well. It's only after Grim Patron that people realized how powerful Frothing could be, and why warrior had cards liek whirlwind that damaged it's own minions as well as the enemies for miniscule damage.

Now soon the power of Varian will be discovered, and unleashed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Without Patron, Berserker required a good deal of minions on the board to get super buffed. Patron can do that in a single turn given it's self-replication. That's why people didn't play Frothing that much before.

Carceri

Arcane
So, basically, Warsong Commander was too confusing for new players.
Typical Blizzard bullshit. I suppose this is confusing as well then:

200px-Tundra_Rhino%28162%29.png

especially since the Rhino itself has charge, how confusing is that, huh?!

Mystary!

Arcane
Speaking of beasts with charge, this brawl gave me another legendary, King Krush.
Third one in a row. Praise RNGesus!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
/conspiracy hat

I think the Brawl packs have higher rarity yields. Last three I've gotten Al'Akir, gold Nat Pagle, and a golden epic that I dusted.

/conspiracy hat

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And on the other side are those like me whose best brawl pack was 2 rares and think these packs are rigged to give you only shitty cards.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom