Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

UglyBastard

Arcane
The amount of laziness just shows that they don't even have to try.

HS is a license to print money.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Plus it must be really cheap to make.

It's not like they need to do an incredible amount of coding and gameplay adjustment (compaired to other blizzard games of course). The core game is the same and pretty simple, the lore and card art are already there from WoW and its TCG.

All they have to do is think of a few random cards to add, and then create some new simple animations and a new battlefield. They could probably create a new expansion every week if you don't take into account balancing. And I am not sure they do a very good job on balancing either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. There's only about twenty or so people on the Hearthstone team. Probably a third of those are CMs/marketing. This next adventure will probably be based around salvaging inspire and/or jousting.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
So maybe you introduce some anti-combo cards that counter these decks in your new awesome 130+ cards expansion, right?

Oh I forgot, it's Blizzard, so just delete the combo archetype, make the game about who draws the more aggressive cancer curve and release a bunch of unplayable garbage and maybe 1-2 broken aggro cards instead of something useful.
They talk about their design philosophy of not nerfing cards and releasing counters instead all the time, but didn't even try to give players something against Patron with TGT.

Combo decks are cool, they have a different playstyle and reward skilled players for their decisions. Blizzard should try to preserve and properly balance them instead of killing them one by one. Also, at least for me, their noninteracitivy is not more frustrating than losing to the very interactive Face Huntard or Secret Pally decks, which can be piloted by trained chimps without losing much of their efficiency. I guess combo decks are just not casul and braindead enough to satisfy the customer base of HS.

oh, i'm all for adding more interactivity in the form of "duress"-like cards and such, but i really don't think slizzard is going to implement anything of that sort, its public is silly kids and random casuals really

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hearthstone Facebook Blog Entry #4,592:

So I totaled up the rough amount of dust I needed to craft the 'good' cards I was lacking:

Classic - 11,000ish (FoN x 2, Ancient of Lore x 2, Antonidas, Tirion, Cabal x 1, Jaraxxus, and Thalnos).
GvG - 4,000ish (Vol'jin, Mal'ganis, Lightbomb x 2)

I got around 9,000 dust plus golden Nat Pagle meaning I could basically finish off everything but the odd somewhat useful TGT legendary. T3h end is in sight... until they release a new expansion with a dozen useful legendaries. It could happen... right?

Revenant

But you are one fucking cheap bastard, Metro

It's a shitty children's card game for tablets, just craft whatever you want and be done with it

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Turn 0 wins, lol. :lol:

Seems HS has a long way to go.

Tbh, UglyBastard makes it sound like this is the norm or even regular, which for Vintage at the very least (no idea about current Modern and Legacy), supposedly the most broken format, is not really true. If you actually look at the meta, nearly 40% of it are various control decks, then about 30% is almost pure disruption (Stax and Fish), 15% is Delver which is a kind of aggressive tempo deck, and the final 15% are the scary T1 combo decks and all sorts of weird crap.

Frankly, if Vintage has a problem, it's that in a card pool that deep, you find some really powerful hoser cards, which makes post-sideboard games kinda dumb at times.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Yeah, turn 0 win decks are not really profesionally viable because of their inconsistency and vulnerability to a well placed counterspell, I just mentioned them because they are kinda hilarious and show what is possible in the game.

Andhaira

Arcane
So I finally crafted Rhonin just now.

Going to have some fun with it in casual. Still need Thalnos for THE ULTIMATE KKKOMBO but I can do without it for now. Already have flamewakers, Emperor, Anton and Malygos. I could throw in a Kobold for the +1 to magic, but only really want Thalnos for the cool value it provides. Dalarant Aspirant is a possibility too, I think the card is underestimated.

Also included Echo in my deck, because I want some use for it, Hardly every used it since crafting months ago.

Andhaira

Arcane
Still experimenting, let me finalize it a bit before I put it up for critiquing.

edit: Just raeped a controllish Hunter by throwing down Malygos (8 mana'd after Emperor coming out earlier) and 2 8 damage each magic missiles into his face!

WELL PLAYED INDEED

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, turn 0 win decks are not really profesionally viable because of their inconsistency and vulnerability to a well placed counterspell, I just mentioned them because they are kinda hilarious and show what is possible in the game.

It makes sense if you think about it - why risk everything with the t1 win attempt when you can just go Workshop, Mox, Smokestack instead and almost surely win if it resolves, while also having a much more consistent and robust deck in general? Somewhat counterintuitively, Vintage is so fast in general that being able to potentially win on t1 isn't such a big deal. The best decks are ones with powerful synergies built on top of a consistent base.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Still experimenting, let me finalize it a bit before I put it up for critiquing.

edit: Just raeped a controllish Hunter by throwing down Malygos (8 mana'd after Emperor coming out earlier) and 2 8 damage each magic missiles into his face!

WELL PLAYED INDEED

Yea, Malygos is an excellent counter to Control Hunter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

WELL PLAYED INDEED
Everything counters Control Hunter.

Andhaira

Arcane
You fail @ snark MEN

Anyhow Euro cucks it's that time of the week again. What braaaaawl do we have?

Andhaira

Arcane
Not yet open in Kwan region.

What did you open in your Brawl packs euros? Is the SEED strong today?

edit: Hoping for a golden thalnos as usual. I haven't been opening that many packs lately, hoarding my gold for the soon 2 be announced expansion. Getting all wings of BRM for 3500 gold was an agonizing process, but well worth it. Some cards like flamewaker I'm only unleashing now, while others like Corruptor and Emperor have been serving me well since the beginning.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why are they still doing "build your own deck" brawls? Fucking Blizzturd. I can't even be bothered to get the free pack this week..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom