Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Mystary!

Arcane
Only scrubs actually believe that.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Game's pretty random, but that doesn't stop people from playing like shit, which we all do. It's actually quite amazing, just how badly you can fail at such a simple "children's" card game as an adult with a (theoretically) fully functional brain.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Skill does play a pretty significant role in Hearthstone, but the skill ceiling is very low.

You can make huge winrate jumps by understanding basic card game concepts, learning proper sequencing etc. A surprisingly high amount of people fail at these.
Once you reached the point where you are pretty decent at the game, your efforts to improve yield diminishing returns because of the deterministic way the game plays out. Most games are decided on draw and RNG rolls if you don't make any obvious blunders. Really advanced decisionmaking skill comes only comes into play in a fraction of your games. Being a super genius might give you a 5-10% winrate increase over a relatively good player where in other games with higher skill ceilings it can make you unbeatable.

Tournament play adds another layer of skill with class and decklist choices that ladder gameplays don't provide.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
People getting mad that some individuals Paid2Lose with the early hat and torch :lol:

Also looks like I underestimated the new paladin secret. Truth is, I've never played Secret Paladin, so I lack the perspective of understanding how strong a secret needs to be to warrant a slot there (considering he just cheats them out, I can see why running 1 of those is worth it)

I also misread the full-heal legendary, lol. I thought you needed to have no cards in deck. Knowing his actual card text, he's even stronger for a control mirror. Probably too janky vs face hunter, unless you thin your deck out for him (which will make your deck too weak) - so, probably not getting played unless we get Sideboards (sideboards would single handedly save the game tbqh codex)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Reno Jackson (the full heal legendary) is probably a decent Arena card but still too unreliable for constructed. Trump did a couple of videos on this and the cards he said would be good are pretty much the same ones we're talking about.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
Another day, another 1.16GB patch WHAT THE FUCK BLIZZARD FUCK YOU

I have a limited bandwidth. I can't be downloading this shit every other day. This is the third recent megapatch in the past 1-2 months, this does not include the other random 'minor' downloads like the client patches for stupid battlenet client and/or the other random shit they did.

Anyhow, how much gold you have saved MEN? I have 1300, assuming the adventure is released 1 wing per week like the ones before, I should have each on time as they are released this time around. The discover mechanic could dramatically shift the meta, unlike the retarded joust mechanic. Not sure if it will be a completely good thing though, given that discover is pure RNG

Andhaira

Arcane
Reno Jackson (the full heal legendary) is probably a decent Arena card but still too unreliable for constructed. Trump did a couple of videos on this and the cards he said would be good are pretty much the same ones we're talking about.

I think you have it the other way around, assuming I remember how the retarded card works correctly (can't be bothered to check) In constructed you can ensure you have a deck that can take advantage of the full heal; in arena you cannot. I doubt it will ever be played in arena TBH.

Druid has had a similar card for nearly a year now, Tree of Life. That doesn't see any play. Though that's probably due to it's insane mana cost.

Revenant

Another day, another 1.16GB patch WHAT THE FUCK BLIZZARD FUCK YOU

I have a limited bandwidth. I can't be downloading this shit every other day. This is the third recent megapatch in the past 1-2 months, this does not include the other random 'minor' downloads like the client patches for stupid battlenet client and/or the other random shit they did.
Yeah, the herpstone team should learn from developers of other blizz titles to only update those parts of the game that are changed by the patch. At the moment it seems the entirety of HS is downloaded each time the game receives a major content patch. Meh.

Also, just saw this in the battle.net app:

Breaking News

We've identified an issue that allowed players to purchase The League of Explorers earlier than intended. The Adventure is now correctly no longer available for purchase.
Wow :lol: THANKS, BLIZZ

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah, the herpstone team should learn from developers of other blizz titles to only update those parts of the game that are changed by the patch. At the moment it seems the entirety of HS is downloaded each time the game receives a major content patch. Meh.

This is deliberate, as the entire fucking game overwrites and reinstalls over the prior game after big patches. This is because of fucking tablets and cellphones; they have much more limited space as compared to the PC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Breakdown of where the notably good/decent cards are from:

Torch and Hat are either given with the first wing or you have to buy all four wings (people buying with cash were getting them erroneously).

First wing - Reno Jackson, Sacred Trial, and Ancient Shade.
Second Wing - Tunnel Trogg, Unearthed Raptor, Fierce Monkey, and Brann Bronzebeard. Class Challenges for Second Wing: Mounted Raptor and Keeper of Uldaman.
Third Wing - Naga Seawitch and Sir Finley MRglagdglasdwahtever.
Fourth Wing - Raven Idol, Desert Camel, Rafaam.

Most of the better cards are stacked in the first two wings.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I think you have it the other way around, assuming I remember how the retarded card works correctly (can't be bothered to check) In constructed you can ensure you have a deck that can take advantage of the full heal; in arena you cannot. I doubt it will ever be played in arena TBH.

Druid has had a similar card for nearly a year now, Tree of Life. That doesn't see any play. Though that's probably due to it's insane mana cost.

Arena games last much longer. It'll be very easy, most of the time, to draw the cards you need before playing him.

Though, as arena is all about tempo/board control, the heal doesn't really help you all that much, so there's bound to be a better legendary to pick over him.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
So, I am guessing tonights Brawl will feature the new cards in premade decks played on the new gameboards?

I am ok with that, as long as we get new cards from all wings.

UglyBastard

Arcane
If a tournament mode with sideboards is added, prepare for me to wave this in your face for a week straight - REVENGE FOR PATRON!

I like how you emphasized a very specific and unlikely event, so you are on the safe side even if Reno turns out to be crap, but still ambigous enough to brag if he is not terrible. :5/5:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Reno Jackson is crap.

Will not be played in serious Constructed.
Well if Andhaira agrees with you... you must be wrong. I'm not saying it's a great card, just a somewhat well designed card in contrast to the other 80% of the set. It's possible people could put it into control warrior and hold on to it once they know they've expended their duplicate cards. Does it count the cards in your hand or just those you've yet to draw? If it doesn't count the cards in your hand then it's that much more viable.

Example:

Only duplicates in my deck are Fiery War Axe, Death's Bite, Shield Slam, Sludge Belcher, and Execute (let's say I only use one Armorsmith). I've used one axe, one death's bite, a shield slam, and belcher. In my hand are the other slam, two executes, and the final belcher and death's bite. Would Reno activate if I played it then?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Mostly interested in that Unearthed Raptor. Looks like another one of those cards that could potentially shake things up for a class.

Revenant

It's possible people could put it into control warrior and hold on to it once they know they've expended their duplicate cards. Does it count the cards in your hand or just those you've yet to draw? If it doesn't count the cards in your hand then it's that much more viable.
"In your deck" excludes your hand, so no, it doesn't count the cards in your hand (for example, The Mistwalker counts both the cards in your hand and your deck).

Also, healing in Control Warrior? You're doing it wrong. After the introduction of Justicar, the last thing CW needs is extra life gain.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm MLG Pro, I never do it wrong. It's additional healing if you happen to face a particularly aggressive deck. Shitloads of armor doesn't exclude you from benefiting from refilling your health.

Revenant

It does, because a low stat card with a battlecry that is only useful in a few extreme cases in a few matchups is occupying a slot in your deck instead of something useful in the late game, which is all CW is about. A fiery war axe is justifyable because of its amazing value against any kind of aggro for its cost, but a very conditional heal? No way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shut up, I'm trying to find some reason to be moderately excited about this shit.

Andhaira

Arcane
So, 5 hours before it goes live on NA servers?

And did Kwa have daylight time change or some shit, because Brawl started 1 hour later for me last night.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom