Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So far I still have the Abusive Sergeant in my paladin deck, if I draw it and another 1 attack minion, I usually take out the cleric because I can. If not possible, well, too bad. We'll see how it goes. I usually do not do too bad against priests on my paladin deck.

Heh, last time on my rogue deck he tried the old warden trick of buffing it to 36 health and then use Inner Fire to have it match its health as attack power. It was fun to see him spend his whole turn placing and buffing the thing, waiting the next turn to attack. Assassinate and the problem is gone.

J1M

Arcane
Had a 12-2 arena run the other day. Was really annoyed to see a golden common as one of the rewards. There was plenty of gold though.

Enough gold that I considered spending some of it on packs instead of on arena, but then I realized the reason most of my arena winnings were being dusted recently was because I have 2 copies of every common in the game except for 8 of them, lol.

Realistically, I am now only going to see 20 dust and maybe one new rare from each card pack I open. Since I have all the commons, any card I buy will cost 100 or more dust. The dust payout is so stingy that I can't see anyone spending real money when they get to this point in their collection. At the same time, I am still missing so many epic cards that many of the more interesting decks are still out of reach. I can't see myself spending time in constructed if I don't have interesting decks to play.

Would like to see them smooth out the acquisition curve here. Maybe granting 10 dust per common once you have 2 of each or something.

DakaSha

Arcane
Why? They need to make money. If you arent willing to pay then I really dont see why you should have the cards you want.
It does suck to have to pay (a decent amount even), but i dont know what else one should expect

J1M

Arcane
I put $4 into the game when It first was available to me. The progress was generous enough that I didn't feel the need to put in more.

I consider it a problem that the current return on my dollar is so low that I would have to be brain damaged to make the purchase. It would cost me roughly $2 for only a new random rare. The rate of return is actually so low that I'm not willing to spend the excess free in-game currency I'm winning in arena to get more cards. :lol:

DakaSha

Arcane
If the progress was generous enough to make you not want to spend money, then why does the progress need to be made more generous?

I guess i get what you are saying, namely that the progress was so generous, that you now feel spending money to be a inefficient, but that you realistically need to spend money to get what you want/need.

I guess the system is retarded, but again, its obvious that you need to spend money. Maybe you should have just spent more money right away :P

J1M

Arcane
Has there been any word regarding constructed rewards? I have largely ignored the ranked mode since they changed it, but I'd be willing to grind up the ladder for 1000 dust or something.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've beaten priests who had Northshire clerics for huge scads of time and drew half their deck in short order. It really depends on their overall strategy. If their deck is long game (which most priest decks are), early massive card advantage doesn't actually give them much of an edge unless you are panicking and throwing all your cards away to try to combat it.

It would be scary if they were running a quick rush deck with the usual battlecry suspects, but priests don't tend to do that.
Yup. I feel like much of the value is the soft taunt at 3 health. I do really like it, but mostly because either you do get to do some nice carddraw or you eat some overly expensive removal.

Mage: Arcane missiles are waaaaaay too unreliable, even if the enemy has one 3/2 and nothing else you have a 50% chance of killing it. The other cards are cool but are you sure you have enough creatures?
Oh I forgot to mention, one reason I actually love arcane missile is it can hit stealth creatures, which makes it highly effective against guys like the blood imp and patient assassin, and with spellpower has decent odds against the jungle panther. Getting rid of blood imps in particular is very nice. Between that kind of stuff and the way it does well with cards like the auctioneer or the archmage, well, it's a card I like.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I, too, like Arcane Missiles more and more. They're straight up insane with +spell damage.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I finally succumbed to the darkness of thought steal. Being unable to win after quite a long losing streak, I decided to craft it. Can already see the results, my win rate has increased.

The game goes more and more into a direction in which all remaining players will have utterly broken/unfair decks. I mean how do you stop a warlock opening with two Young Priestesses and the next turn a Blood Imp with an Argent Squire. Simply ridiculous.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, got a mountain giant in the last pack. I wonder if I can/should try to put it in some decks.

DakaSha

Arcane
The game goes more and more into a direction in which all remaining players will have utterly broken/unfair decks. I mean how do you stop a warlock opening with two Young Priestesses and the next turn a Blood Imp with an Argent Squire. Simply ridiculous.

You dont. You beat him the other 90% of the time he doesnt get an opener like that, or you get a counter opener

If you still dont understand variance and win/loss percentages you leave and play chess. simple as that

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I do what I want, simple as that.

Game is in closed beta and people are already admitting that there are openings that cannot be countered. Imagine what will happen when they expand the number of cards.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
12784.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I do what I want, simple as that.

Game is in closed beta and people are already admitting that there are openings that cannot be countered. Imagine what will happen when they expand the number of cards.

You can't really counter land + mox sapphire into sol ring into tinker into Blightsteel Colossus either. Yet MTG Cube is still one of the best formats in TCGs, period.

DakaSha might not be a nice guy, but he's right in that if you can't deal with variance, then why play a TCG?

Last edited:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The level of counter arguments shows the critics are right. From now on we can continue existing on two parallel realities, in one hearthstone cannot be improved any further.

Heh, got a mountain giant in the last pack. I wonder if I can/should try to put it in some decks.
I got two of them :/

They fucking sux. Maybe it's possible to use them in some super uber control deck with card draw up the ass but these days everything is aggro so I doubt this works, particularly after freeze nerf.

That said they are probably candidates for tweaks so they might soon get high dust values.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have gotten four mountain giants and one golden one. It is not fun, although I suppose getting another 20 dust total booster pack is far less amusing.

Does anyone know if they are going to implement ranked rewards before the first reset? Not that I would expect to get a reward for rank 12 anyway. Also, I wonder what their plan is when beta ends. I can't see them resetting the ranks once beta is over, otherwise new people get to enjoy the experience of facing down control/rush decks with cards they are woefully unprepared for.

J1M

Arcane
Has anyone ran into mages in arena using a deck that consists of only 2/3 creatures + spells? I'm assuming the guy had some 6/6 creatures in there too.

I found it very strange. All his creatures were 2/3. Even when the card didn't make a lot of sense. For example, I saw a couple of those pirates that are boosted by weapon damage.

Is this some new trendy net deck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom