Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh, fuck that shit

What really got me though was this, because I noticed it myself very early on in the tutorial:

http://puu.sh/9Z4qD/d35147977a.png

This is literally a non-issue. You'd have found out during play.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'd have found out sooner if the cards didn't lightning-flash across the screen before disappearing, presenting no opportunity to examine them, and it's not a non-issue if: 1.) a brand-new player immediately notices, and 2.) an experienced player points it out to the developer as a top quibble.

By the way, I discovered SolForge's dirty secret:

There's no turn timer yet other than the overall match limit of about twenty minutes.

So, when someone is losing, they can AFK for 10+ minutes hoping you'll get bored and concede.

Jesus fucking wept.

Disgruntled

Savant
I finally got a piece of the pie. Had to be with a typical mage build but ill take it.
Not pictured - 3 flamestrikes and a pyroblast.

24fxwmb.png

Iceblock followed by pyroblast made for some epic turnaround plays.
3 flamestrikes was just dirty and the big game hunter was always on hand to take out a fatty.

Simply got the perfect deck for arena, the only times I died was from a rush and a druid playing 5 mana on turn 2.

Prizes were pretty bad but I got Van Cleef from the pack so I cant complain.
28he8oi.png

I think Ill get back to favoring mage for arena. My only other good streak was 10 wins with a mage and most other times im anywhere from 0-6.

J1M

Arcane
Gratz, getting to 12 wins in arena is not easy. Don't be surprised if your interest in it wanes now.

Disgruntled

Savant
Thanks, ive already taken a long break from hearthstone. Only got back into it a couple of weeks ago.
Like that about TCGs, you can come and go without much hassle.

Wonder if ill get sick of it again before Naxx expansion is out. Blizzard taking surprisingly long on content considering the popularity of hearthstone.

J1M

Arcane
I meant Arena specifically, I still play constructed for the quests.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Constructed sucks. Wake me when it's not 70% dominated by three or four metas.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Well constructed is diverse enough to have each class viable in some friendly battles, and even in ranking up when are able to resist various amounts of pain. If you wanna rank fast on ladder, you might have to resort to cookie cutter builds but overall I find constructed more fun than arena, where each game is basically running yetis into one another and hoping not to get flamestriked by those pesky mages.
But that might have to do with the excessive amount of arena I ran since beta (about 1,1k wins) and the resulting card pool that allows me to play every deck in the game in constructed. I play another arena from time to time, but I did it mostly for the rewards and there is not much to get anymore except some specific foils that I will never pull anyway.

DakaSha

Arcane
Just had 6 health left and the opposing Garosh with 30 + 5 health uses whirlwind to enrage his Grommash.
This kills my Sylvanas and i get lucky, and snag his now strength 10 grommash (1 in 4 chance)
Now i have a charged molten giant (str 10) and an enraged grommash on the board. In my hand i have mortal strike + leeroy and draw a fiery war axe

gg

UglyBastard

Arcane
Well if he had three minions on board and played Grommash before clearing Sylvanas he clearly deserved to be manhandled...

DakaSha

Arcane
Why. He had a 3 in 4 chance of ending the game right there. He could have played "safe", but even that isnt completely true since i had a full hand and he had no idea what i could play. A single taunt could fuck his shit up

When he took the risk he at least knew what he was up against, and 3/4 win odds are pretty damn good

Also trailing ellipses make you look like a fucking faggot, faggot

Edit: he could kill the sylvanas, lose a minion by doing so, give me another minion, then have one minion on the board vs my 10/8 molten, my new minion, and my full hand

Sounds like a good idea

3/4 sounds like better odds to me though

Last edited:

UglyBastard

Arcane
Well, it seems I have to see the board to fully assess the situation.

Given that you said you had 6 life left (I guess after he attacked with his remaining three creatures) it seemed pretty likely that attacking face with two of them and trading the lowest attack value into 5/1 Sylvanas after that and THEN finishing with Grommash was an option. Unless all of them had 5 or more attack, of course.

Also thanks for the advice, a cockgobbling dick connoisseur like you is probably pretty adept at noticing faggy things and I'm grateful for your expertise on the matter.(..)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The problem with HS Constructed isn't that only a few decks are consistent, it's that the mechanics aren't complex enough to allow for interesting gameplay.

Bitch please: http://lrcast.com/limited-resources-239-role-assignment/

Just because you don't know in advance like in constructed, doesn't mean you have to analyze the game as it goes on. All these things mean less and are easier to decipher in Hearthstone because it is a simpler and more straightforward game, but that doesn't mean all players make immaculate decisions always, like the infinite players indeed do most of the time.

Anyway, explain to me then why players are infinite even when they draft the same decks that 6/7-3 players do? I watch Trump's stream plenty, his decks are 1:1 like mine. There are so few cards in Hearthstone that once you got the quality down and you know which mana curves are best, drafting is literally on auto-pilot. All that is left is play decisions. Yet Trump has 5000 gold in the bank, and I still run out after 3-4 drafts per day, maybe a bit more if I'm doing well.

I've actually gone and watched Trump play a bit, and found the opposite: He makes close to the same decisions I would have made during actual play, but different (sometimes noticably different) ones while drafting. Primary difference is that he actually knows the card pool much better than I do - I pretty much only arena, and know very little of classes which do poorly there, like Priests or Warriors, and Shamans to some extent as well. Finally, as a lot of top TCG players, he's not only good, but also pretty lucky. Not Kai-Budde-topdeck level lucky, but lucky. Or maybe I haven't seen the videos where the RNG spits in his face yet.

As a matter of fact, I've learned most from him getting weird card choices and building good decks with them in spite of that, making various interesting tradeoffs in the process. It's definitely more complicated than just following a list, especially for classes with weird tempo properties like Shamans. I think deckbuilding in HS just goes against my intuition in general. Recently I've gotten 10 wins with a Rogue deck which I felt was pretty bad, and then went 1-3 with a Mage one that seemed very strong and well-rounded (although granted, I did lose to some pretty ridiculous shit).

Thanks for more useless "Who's the beatdown?" truisms, by the way. Seriously, the original article was published 15 years ago. Everyone serious about MtG has internalized it at this point. What's kinda funny, though, is that I don't think it even applied to HS Arena that well, or at least the terminology is misleading. What you really want is board control, and you either get there through aggression or defense. You can't really play HS the way you would play a traditional MtG beatdown deck, it leads to terrible failure because of different combat mechanics.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so, wait, how does this work, i drafted a malygos or something in arena... and i don't get to keep it?

Grinolf

Arcane
I pretty much only arena, and know very little of classes which do poorly there, like Priests or Warriors, and Shamans to some extent as well.
Wait, what? Shamans have one of the best (if not the best) set of common and rare cards amongst all classes. And Priest Hero Ability is the best with the deck of efficient healthy minions, who already are pretty good in the arena. And he has the cards, that allow him to increase their health even further, that allow him to snowball out of control even further. On the downside it is useless when he lost control of the board, but one can't have all.
Warriors yes, on the weak side, but they have a very good weapons and the decent chance to draw them, that would help them a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom