Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearts of Iron 4 - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by GarfunkeL, Jan 23, 2014.

1. passerby Arcane

passerby

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm walking some kind of line on the edge between mild larping and mild minmaxing, which varies depending on how much I know about the state I play as. Like most players, I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Niggerino Arcane Vatnik

Niggerino
    I think it's pretty fun but to short. And the AI is fucked, you can invade Japan with basically no ships and they don't even try to disrupt the supply lines. I like to arrange long wars, where i end up surrounded and slowly fight my way back. Like Italy holding both the allies and soviets back after Germany surrenders.

That's a fair price. You can then play multiplayer on the official server with losers who bought all the DLC.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Speaking of larping, I'm currently larping Britain in HoI4+BICE. I used to larp a lot when I was a student playing HoI2 Armageddon with the USSR. After the war was over, I would have my strategic bombers conduct patrol missions around the border with the US in the Far East and stuff like that. I would also recreate the Soviet OOB before the German attack in 1941. Fun times.

My game was to bleed them out by holding off around Beijing and also protecting against invasions. In retrospect maybe I waited too long before I went on the offensive in 1941.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    HOI4 Dev Diary - Soviet Union Opposition

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/hoi4-dev-diary-soviet-union-opposition.1483120/

Show Spoiler

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Niggerino Arcane Vatnik

Niggerino
    What an absolutely dogshit dev diary. I'm not reading that

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. 8Sime8 Novice

8Sime8
    Is Darkest Hour still the best in the series?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sergiu64 Arcane Sad Loser Glory to Ukraine

Sergiu64

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Good stuff for larping imo. Its not terribly realistic for alternate leaders to come back with the game starting in 1936 - but it would have been if the game started earlier, so might as well ignore realism and make it happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    It bugs me a bit how they tend to push stuff into the 1936 start, which actually belongs in the 1920s, and I mean this for other countries as well.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    If you consider the vast mod environmet, definitely. The vanilla experience is pretty good too.

Though I think the still updated Arsenal of Democracy is the best HoI vanilla experience.

^ Top  
  11. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    C'mon it's a product tailored for Russians to rob them of theirs money. Why wouldn't you read that?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HeroMarine Irenaeus Vatnik

HeroMarine
    Fixed

^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    Playing HoI4 multiplayer demonstrated to me once again that the zoomer generation has no idea how to have fun to save its own life. It's just otherwise bored people who have been thrown a couple of toys with little explanation or idea how to use them and they are trying to have fun with them, like a group of chimps would with human children's toys.

The majority of the time I observed not people who are genuinely enjoying the activity - and who can blame them, no one really enjoys spending 3 hours in preparing for the next 3 hours' war - nor people who were larping their country, aka immersing themselves in the game. I observed people who are instead larping other people who they have watched on twitch and who seemed to be having fun doing what the zoomer is imitating. He is not having fun playing the game - he is pretending to be having the same experience as a guy he watched on stream seemed to be having.

:discohitler:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Playing PDX games in MP makes you gay. FYI.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    Singleplayer is no less gay.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Niggerino Arcane Vatnik

Niggerino
    A LAN party is the only true way

• Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    Listening to mutating teens' voices is part of the charm.

^ Top  
  18. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron Vatnik

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    PDX should abandon making alternate history, because they are completely obliterated by kaiserreich in these regards. Stick to implementing new mechanics instead you lazyfucks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    They haven't shied away from "adopting" mod ideas into focus trees, for the Barbarossa expansion at least if not from before that.

They have already admitted that their codebase is so fucked up after five years, that they will hardly be implementing any new mechanics, so that ship has sailed.

Instead they said they'll be concentrating on "content packs" like Battle for the Bosphorus. They've already delegated the position of project lead on HoI to another guy, whose job will be to oversee the project to the end of its being supported.

Open their summary of PDX con dev diary, most of this is stated explicitly, for the rest read between the lines. The fact that they have named South America and Africa Middle East (?) as locations for future content packs tells you enough about where HoI 4 is headed in terms of development.

Personally, I'm happy that I have a mod like Black Ice which allows me to larp WW2 in enough detail to keep me entertained while also learning occasional bits of history here and there. It's the best utility I could ever get from HoI games.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You can play 1930 mod then you have plenty of time to do the economic focuses too and then work on politics in 1936 its too late to play for entire Middle Europe, no way to stop Hitler to come to power, or do the preventive war or even build your deference industry.

Don't really matters if you play with Big Six (USA, UK, France, USSR, Japan, Germany) or countries like Italy which can choose the moment and side they enter the war.

I am really surprised they did not chosen 1918 or 1920 as start for HOi so much epic wars and potential turning points to choose.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    Did any DLC add mechanics or content for Germany or Japan?
    So strange that they forgot about the main players of WW2. (And also most played nations)

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Space Satan Arcane Vatnik

Space Satan

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
  24. Space Satan Arcane Vatnik

Space Satan

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Niggerino Arcane Vatnik

Niggerino
    Nice total war theme, from a company that avoids implementing any total war mechanics. Can't wait to conscript 10 billion people at the cost of factory output efficiency. Love the automatic factory repair too.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.