Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected

Meh, I lost interest in warfare when it got too mobile, besides I consider the Germans practically the good guys these days and the taste of 'Murican victory during the time has turned sour.

Will wait for Vicky III. :smug:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Stellaris vs HOI4, which will be complete first and why?

Who gives a fuck though? :)
CK2 isn't finished, best couple thousand hours in gaming I've had and still having for more than a decade.
EU4 isn't finished, great hundreds of hours.
Stellaris isn't finished, already sunk a hundred hours of fun.
HoI4 just came out, and it already looks to be pretty awesomesauce (though I admit I didn't have much time with it yet, so can't be 100% sure).

Finished games do not make good games.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished games do not make good games.

Of course not. Many finished games are shit.

But, unifinished games leave a terrible impression, especially if some things were purposefully left out to be sold back to customers later at a huge cost. For example every Paradox game ever, definitely including Stellaris, I'm guessing this one too, Civ 5, and the last 3 or 4 Total War games.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm almost certainly going to end up buying this clanking beast at some point, and I'm sorely tempted to buy it right now, but it's not gonna be this month. I have too many strategy games active, on the backburner, and/or lined up for a long-overdue replay.

I'm going to be a faggot and complain about the graphics, which don't matter in any way in for a game like HoI4. I wish the graphics weren't so clean, for one thing, and the animated units are too... well, animated. Some "antiquing" and grunge on the map and UI, weathered faux pewter game pieces representing vehicles and units, and the like would be much more up my alley.

There'll probably be a mod for that soon enough.

Fry

Arcane
Swastikas have been added. No need for further mods.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fascist Denmark sits snugly and smugly on Estonia, Latvia, Lithaunia and Norway. I want to go for sween, but UK, France and US have all guaranteed their independence. :<

Renegen

Arcane
>be Germany, normal difficulty
>hundreds of hours of experience on HOI3, no sweat
>research everything nicely, subs, airplanes, blitzkrieg
>build heavy fighters because they have twice the firepower for half the agility, but longer range and stuffies. they seem better in everyway.
>Declare war on Poland
>Polish air force destroys all of my fighters essentially(1 for 1 attrition), the ground support airforce goes into hiding
> British/French navy destroys all of my surface ships, and my submarines go into hiding unless I take horrible attrition for a few measly convoys
>mfw, did nazi that coming

I conquered France right afterwards despite no air power to speak of, but I now have 45 military factories cranking out interceptors, yikes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
>be Germany, normal difficulty
>hundreds of hours of experience on HOI3, no sweat
>research everything nicely, subs, airplanes, blitzkrieg
>build heavy fighters because they have twice the firepower for half the agility, but longer range and stuffies. they seem better in everyway.
>Declare war on Poland
>Polish air force destroys all of my fighters essentially(1 for 1 attrition), the ground support airforce goes into hiding
> British/French navy destroys all of my surface ships, and my submarines go into hiding unless I take horrible attrition for a few measly convoys
>mfw, did nazi that coming

I conquered France right afterwards despite no air power to speak of, but I now have 45 military factories cranking out interceptors, yikes.
Agility is very important.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I must say I'm getting exceedingly annoyed by Paradox's refusal to included their own fucking staples like message settings and a ledger. Especially message settings, there is zero notification for people naval invading your shores. It's a game of Jap-whackamole with me focusing my forces on Jap landing in China #1, then when I'm about to wipe them up I look down and see they've been running amok in a different part of the country for at least a week or 2 before I noticed them.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Decided to wait with DiNMRK until I got better, since no matter who you ally with, either hitler, Stalin or Churchill will be beelining for Copenhagen.

Picked Venezuela.

1942 ticked over. Venezuela controls *all* of south/central america up to the mexican border.

10/10, would recommend as a starter faction. you get lots of soft targets to beat up.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

A WW2 game that omits swastikas and/or general Nazi insignia and iconography in all regions?

Dropped. Create the proper graphics for regions where it's not illegal, or fuck off. I bet $100 they didn't change the Soviet iconography, anyone want to take me up on that?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Good implementation of fronts collapsing. Even 1 division could hold long enough until reinforcements arrive but once front have collapsed it's a frantic activity to stabilise it or face multiple encirclements. AI in spanish civil war utilized my volonteers' breakthrough well and instantly poured hos forces to the breach.
Yet I noticed AI can't cancel his attacks. You can call off any attack but AI never does that so it is vert exploitable now

Endemic

Arcane
A WW2 game that omits swastikas and/or general Nazi insignia and iconography in all regions?

Dropped. Create the proper graphics for regions where it's not illegal, or fuck off. I bet $100 they didn't change the Soviet iconography, anyone want to take me up on that?

That's the reason you don't like HOI4? :? The mechanics of the game are less important than graphics and symbols? It's not like HOI is amazingly historically authentic in the first place.

Panzer General didn't have swastikas either, and that was in 1994. Nobody gave a shit ;)

As for the Soviet iconography (hammer and sickle), it's apparently illegal in Hungary and you can be fined for displaying it: https://web.archive.org/web/20080616180643/http://www.bpsz.hu/buntorv.htm

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Panzer General didn't have swastikas either, and that was in 1994. Nobody gave a shit ;)
Yes it did. The Panzer General publisher even went to court in Germany to prove they were using the swastika in a historical context. For some reason paradox doesn't have the backbone to do the same.

Just say no to revisionism!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
>Be nazi Finland
>By 1945 have caused civil wars in UK, the Raj, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Australia

dZkuaWW.png

The peace conference thing is kind of a pain in the ass tho, I had to re-reload and bullshit around for like fifteen minutes to achieve passable Greater Finland when the Soviet Union *finally* decided that enough was enough.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The peace conference thing is kind of a pain in the ass tho

HOi4 is an rpg now because you have to save scumm during turn based peace conference.:troll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

There is 4-5 "historical German flag" mods out already. Paradox probably counted on this. It's easier to let mod fix it than having to deal with German press. The German version also had Hitler and co's portraits blacked out, but a mod fixes that too.

Of course soviet iconography is in - Stalin did nothing wrong! There is no fake Cyrillic for communist countries on the map like in hoi3 though. Nor fancy Gothic letters for axis. I hope mods fix that soon. Some of the "Fascist country names" are pretty amusing though. Denmark gets to be The North Sea Empire. :D

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Fascist Netherlands is called the "Dutch Rijk". Made me cringe when I saw it, I'm pretty sure Google translate could do better than that.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Fun fact about the platypus, it has the most glorious name in Dutch. It's a vogelbekdier, literally a "Bird beak animal". We're a creative bunch.

In other news, a Barbarossa from Asia is the most painful fucking thing to pull off. And I'm not sure what the soviets are fighting with, but I guess they're even more out of supplies than I am, otherwise I never would have made it to the Urals. And no idea how they got to 4.45 million casualties, guess it's from surrounds or something?

fDwWZQL.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In my war with the Soviets in the nazi Finland campaign, the Soviet casualty figures ended up at over nine million. I figure a big part of it is in how limited their equipment stockpile starts to get which makes their combat efficiency lower, and attrition.

To me the more annoying part is how the victory point based war score essentially makes the Soviets with 90% National Unity fight practically fucking forever, well after the point where their war capacity has collapsed (though since I didn't make sure Kwa goes nazi they had American soldiers fighting there too, who I guess marched to the front all the way from India).

Fun fact about the platypus, it has the most glorious name in Dutch. It's a vogelbekdier, literally a "Bird beak animal". We're a creative bunch.
Our name for it is vesinokkaeläin. Literally means water beak animal.

Last edited:

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
That only reinforces my beliefs that the Finns are our long-lost mongolian brethren.

Edit: I've had a supply shortage since before my DOW on the soviets, and it's only gotten worse since. I've got no idea how my army is still managing to advance.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Im playing as germens naturaly and so far Austria refused anshluss and had to take it by force :dealwithit:

Was supporting nationalist spain with land lease and some volunteers also with italians and japanese, the opposing side was supported by the russkies, its 1938 and so far its a tie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom